PDA

View Full Version : New Guy

ZOG
20 October 2008, 19:52
Hello All, I am new here and this is my first post.
I was searching for information on the M4 platform and ran across the review on the D-M4le from Charles Daly that was posted here.

After reading and lurking at a few sites I decided to purchase the Charles
Daly M4Le (Just ordered it)

For the money I think it is a great Value if it is all what they say.

for the last few years I have been devoted to the M14 platform and have built 6 different Rifles using the USGI parts I could find and various receivers.
I am a regular on the M14 firing line forum.

I decided I needed another AR to add to my collection and this is were I ended up. the post I have read here are very informative and helpful.

I hope the CD M4Le is what they say it is.

Any way My first question is:

I like the looks of the 14.5 inch uppers, what is the practical difference between a 14.5 and a 16 inch barreled upper in velocity, wear, accuracy and reliability?

Thanks for the opportunity to join and be a part of the group.

ZOG

parabellum
20 October 2008, 20:13
Any way My first question is:

I like the looks of the 14.5 inch uppers, what is the practical difference between a 14.5 and a 16 inch barreled upper in velocity, wear, accuracy and reliability?

Welcome.

Glad you like your CD M4LE. looks like a great weapon.

I prefer 16", but i have a couple of 14.5 builds,The difference between 14.5 and 16 in terms of accuracy is nil. Barrel length doesn't effect accuracy.

In terms of reliability, as long as you are using a quality system, there shouldn't be any noticeable difference. With the 16" barrels, the mid-length gas system is more prevalent. It seems to have a little less recoil, some people say there is less wear with the mid-length gas system, but I think its largely theoretical.

There will be a velocity difference. I don't chrono, so I don't have figures, but it only really matters with the BDCs of certain optics...and even then, it might not matter too much. I don't worry about the velocity difference.

The major thing between a 16" and 14.5" is that with the 14.5", you have to have a permanently attached muzzle device, unless you have a NFA SBR. That is a big problem for some people and not a problem at all for others. Since you build M14 type rifles, you might want to tinker with your AR, and the perm muzzle device will limit what changes you can make to the rifle, without being a major pain in the ass.

Good luck!

Cohibra45
21 October 2008, 05:17
Like Parabellum said, the main difference (without NFA) will be the permanently attached flash/brake muzzle device. Both rifles have to concur with the minimum 16" barrel length. The difference in length is really only aesthetic in nature and like 1" more for the 16" version. I really like the ability to change muzzle devices if I want to!!!

It really is about personal choice. You can change muzzle devices on the 14.5" but then you have to make sure your barrel meets the minimum 16" length (or more) and is again, permanently attached.

Take care and Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!

Kelly

TehLlama
21 October 2008, 12:49
14.7" Pinned A2, or 14.5" with Phantom, Vortex, VC-1, or SDI Extended A2 are all long enough. I didn't list muzzle brakes, but they work too (more common in ban states though)
Permanently attached muzzle devices have their own bundle of issues (installation of FF handguards is pretty much limited to the DD Omega, or TROY/MI/LWRC style, going from A frame front sight to folding requires a YHM gas block).

Only really good reason to get a 14.5" would be weight (CMMG has 14.5" Midlength Lightweight uppers w/ Phantom hiders that are very light, especially with a JP/VTAC handguard), OR to mount a bayonet as short as possible (14.5" Carbine - what I have)

A 16" Middy can still mount a bayonet, doesn't require pin-weld of the muzzle device, gives more velocity, is very reliable in middy configuration (but can be dissipator styled), or with lo-pro gas block and extended FF tube, can have rifle sight radius; and that's why it's so popular despite the fact that it's not an exact military silhouette.

::ETA:: It's still more practical to run your current setup (which is very nice, BTW), and spend money now on magazines, ammunition, and classes schedule permitting.

louie
26 October 2008, 19:26
Welcome ZOG!

What are you doing over here?

ZOG
28 October 2008, 05:40
KEEPING MY EYE ON YOU LOUIE.......

keeping up on the little black rifle

ZOG
31 October 2008, 21:06
Rifle is In

very nice