PDA

View Full Version : Geissele Rail Question

alamo5000
1 November 2014, 15:47
For those of you that have ever used or use a Geissele rail I have a few questions.

For a bit of background I am using a CMT upper and lower for my build and an MK2 SMR 15 rail.

Unfortunately when the fedex lady showed up to deliver my box of goodies, I opened it like a kid on Christmas...only to discover that my rail was marred. [bash]

That said I am pretty sure customer service will more than take care of it (I sent them out of the box pics showing the prob)...

BUT I do have a question. The barrel nut was stuck inside the rail (this is how it shipped)... (*the damage on the rail was on the other end)...

I am going to have a certified gunsmith help me assemble my AR but sheerly out of curiosity how does one get that barrel nut out of the rail so that it can be screwed on the upper? The thing is in there TIGHT and I am wondering if there are any tricks to get it out.

I am going to let the pro do his job (once I get a replacement) but I am curious. Should I put the thing in the freezer for a bit? LOL

alamo5000
1 November 2014, 15:50
It comes out of the box looking like this:

http://www.ar15news.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/620-Geissele-SMR-MK4-KeyMod-Rail-2.jpg

But how would you remove it???? There has to be some kind of trick to it.

alamo5000
1 November 2014, 16:12
OK I think I figured it out.

Stone
1 November 2014, 16:25
I believe the rail just clamps down on the barrel nut so if you loosen up those screws it should slide right out...

alamo5000
1 November 2014, 16:37
I believe the rail just clamps down on the barrel nut so if you loosen up those screws it should slide right out...

"SHOULD" is the operative word... LOL

Not so simple, but it worked.

While I had this one I wanted to (carefully) make sure it fits my upper and it's fine :)

I just wish it wasn't banged up on other end... GRRR.

GOST
1 November 2014, 16:39
I've got a MK4 and yes the nut to rail fit is tight. Just remove the the 2 screws completely and pull the nut out. The nut will not come out if the screws are not completely out.

Ride4frnt
1 November 2014, 16:42
I've got a MK4 and yes the nut to rail fit is tight. Just remove the the 2 screws completely and pull the nut out.

Typically the nut to rail fit is supposed to be tight. Pun definitely intended.

alamo5000
1 November 2014, 17:01
Typically the nut to rail fit is supposed to be tight. Pun definitely intended.

LOL

I didn't want to damage the rail any more than it already is marred up so I had to be extremely careful. I have heard this rail didn't fit on some billet sets so I wanted to check 'just to make sure'...

All I did was take out the screws, put it in the freezer for half an hour then I was able to pull it out.

Thompson
2 November 2014, 09:40
LOL

I didn't want to damage the rail any more than it already is marred up so I had to be extremely careful. I have heard this rail didn't fit on some billet sets so I wanted to check 'just to make sure'...
Let me know if it does fit. I'm throwing around that idea as well, just maybe a different Geissele rail.

UWone77
2 November 2014, 09:44
It comes out of the box looking like this:

http://www.ar15news.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/620-Geissele-SMR-MK4-KeyMod-Rail-2.jpg

But how would you remove it???? There has to be some kind of trick to it.

You unscrew the two cross bolts on it, and the barrel nut comes out.

okdonk
2 November 2014, 12:36
They way i did on my Geissele rails. I unscrew the 2 bolts and cover my plier with thin cloth to protect the barrel nut threads. Pull it out and it was quite easy. You can always drop some oil between the nut and rail for some slick sliding.

alamo5000
2 November 2014, 12:44
The thing was TIGHT as all get out and the barrel nut had some sticky stuff on it...

I did manage to get it off though... I unscrewed those two screws... that part was pretty brainless.

Then I put the entire thing in the freezer for about 20 minutes....

Then I screwed my upper on as far as it could go.... and I was able to pull it right out.

It was in there super tight though right out of the box....

alamo5000
2 November 2014, 12:48
Let me know if it does fit. I'm throwing around that idea as well, just maybe a different Geissele rail.

The whole point of me taking this one apart was to make sure it really does fit my set, and yes it fits like I charm.

I still need to get a replacement rail because of what appears to be manufacturing defects. It got dinged over pretty good on the muzzle end but then it was anodized (or whatever coating they use) anyway.

There are several sharp vertical gouges on the muzzle end a few inches down on the right side of the rail...so I am having to wait for Monday to try and get an exchange.

It's supposed to be brand new... I hate to be picky, but for full price I want a new undamaged rail....

Thompson
2 November 2014, 13:05
It was in there super tight though right out of the box....
Makes sense if you think about it; taking a quick look at the installation instructions pdf, it says:

Slide the SMR handguard (Item 1) onto the barrel nut. Be very careful when doing this as the clearance between the OD of the barrel nut and ID of the handguard is precisely machined to about 0.001” clearance.

Question though, this may be a [noob] question - but what was the point of throwing rail in the freezer? I don't get what you were trying to accomplish with that.

Ride4frnt
2 November 2014, 13:31
Makes sense if you think about it; taking a quick look at the installation instructions pdf, it says:

Question though, this may be a [noob] question - but what was the point of throwing rail in the freezer? I don't get what you were trying to accomplish with that.

Steel shrinks in the cold. Shrink the barrel nut and it will slide out easier.

alamo5000
2 November 2014, 13:59

YUP! Exactly. And the nut is steel and the rail is aluminum so they shrink (in cold) at different rates.

I did the exact same thing when I installed my gas block on my barrel. Put the barrel in the freezer for about half an hour and kind of warmed up the gas block with a hair dryer.... then it just slid right on and was very easy to manipulate with just my fingers.

alamo5000
2 November 2014, 14:04

I am a complete AR noob myself, but I did pay attention in freshman science class LOL.... One of the only classes I actually did pay attention in :)

Thompson
2 November 2014, 14:48
Oh .... I see haha.

I am a complete AR noob myself, but I did pay attention in freshman science class LOL.... One of the only classes I actually did pay attention in :)
I tried to pay attention in chemistry; didn't work out too well considering the fact that my professor didn't speak English well -_-