PDA

View Full Version : what do you use to sight in your black rifle?

Soisauss
1 November 2014, 17:07
So lads, question about what you guys use to sight in your rifles without expending ammo.

Despite none of my rifles ever being properly sighted, I went to the range today with a laser boresight (magnetic that attaches to the brake/comp) and found it pretty much to be useless....so useless that I removed all my optics and went straight iron. Since using irons, I was just nail driving the gong like its meant to be rung.

So what do you guys use to sight it in without using ammo?

GOST
1 November 2014, 17:36
Cheapest and easiest way I've found to do a rough zero is:

1. Take the BCG out of the upper and put the upper in the vice block.
2. Look through the receiver and barrel and go mark the spot on the wall you see.
3. Use that same reference point to zero in your irons, RDS or scope.
4. Then get a more precise zero later at the range.

This has worked for me about as well as using a laser bore guide.

GOST
1 November 2014, 17:39
I hate sighting in a rifle.

cagekicker204
1 November 2014, 17:42
Usually that gets me on paper at least and then the torture begins on the range.

CarbonScoring
1 November 2014, 18:00
I just got to sight in my first magnified optic yesterday. For me it's just a matter of approximating the zero at 25 yards with a very small group (3 rounds hitting a couple inches low) and then fine tune it at 100 yards ( 4 shot groups). Total I used about 15 rounds. To me this isn't too costly.

alamo5000
1 November 2014, 18:13
I can do it and it's actually kind of fun considering you're not dealing with junk. Doing it without using ammo though, I have no idea. Laser bore sights have had mixed results. I mean you can get 'sort of close' but still not good enough for me.

With about 5 to MAYBE 10 rounds I can have it pretty accurate, but there would be more fine tuning needed.

If you site in on a cold bore shot that's going to be different than one zeroing 10 shots in. Factoring in grain weight, twist, and so on and so forth... it's pretty cool... At an indoor range up the road they have a 100yard indoor range and will let you borrow a lead sled. Take a yellow note pad and it will take a long time, but very little ammo relatively speaking to have any decent optic zeroed.

If you really get technical about it you will know where to aim for your cold bore shot, and then where to compensate for your second, and third, and so on and so forth.

Such as... my scope is dead on at 100yard on cold bore.... but a second shot will be 1 inch high to the right.. and so on and so forth... so you can aim-compensate.....

UWone77
1 November 2014, 18:44
I hate sighting in a rifle.

This.

For me, it's a PITA as I have lots of rifles/optics but for me, I just put up a target and let the lead fly.

For longer distances, for me it helps to have a magnified optic/spotting scope, so I don't have to keep going down range to see where my rounds are hitting.

Uffdaphil
1 November 2014, 22:32
I boresight roughly at home then hack away at 25 yds, then see how badly I've adjusted at 100 yds. After an hour or two with multiple RDs and variables, I say I'll fine tune next time and haul out the pistols to blow off steam. Then I get new glass and musical chairs puts them all a bit more out of whack.

I've always been better with handguns, but enjoy rifles at 50-100 yds more, at least when properly zeroed. No idea why it's so tricky. It was easier with irons and a hovering drill instructer.

Second a decent spotting scope as an aggro reducer.

JGifford
2 November 2014, 00:32
I bolt the optic to the mount and attach the mount to the upper. I've never been off paper at 25 to 50 yards this way.

MonkeyBomb
2 November 2014, 01:28
For optics I have an old mechanical bore sighter laying in a drawer on my work bench. It gets you pretty close. Mostly I remember my mechanical Zero from the Army and I set that up and then move my Red dot to to sights. It has always gotten me close. Then I fine tune it from there.

Uffdaphil
2 November 2014, 01:39
Be thankful you don't have my brother helping you. First time out with 5-6 optics. He takes a shot then spins both W and E a full turn or two. I think he got to 3 while I was fussing with my first. Add pumping my $$ down the pipe as fast as he can pull the trigger not caring if holes appeared in paper and you see why I shoot solo now. He is why I got the boresighter.

Computalotapus
2 November 2014, 05:03
I just go to the range. Start at 25yds do what I was taught back in BRM. Has never failed me

Ride4frnt
2 November 2014, 07:51
I'm with UW. Targets at 25, 50 and 100. Let the lead fly, and use a spotting scope

shimsham
2 November 2014, 08:27
Mechanical zero with irons, dial those in at the range with confirmation at 100 yds with clay pigeons. Then, my cowitnessing optics are adjusted so that the reticle is a visual match with what I like looking at downrange with my irons.

Former11B
2 November 2014, 09:27
Maybe because I got the method down pat in the military but sighting in a new rifle or confirming zero takes little time and little thought these days. I even enjoy it....shooting is shooting and group/zero is a basic task and skill. I also like showing new shooters the most efficient way to do it...like another poster said, usually half a mag or less provided the shooter has sound fundamentals

Soisauss
2 November 2014, 11:28
Thanks for all the replies guys!

The reason I haven't done any 25, 35, 50 and 100 yrd sight in is because the range I go to only want to see bullet impact no less than 45yards for high power rifle calibers.

I guess my best bet is to do what gost did. I did do mechanical zero where my irons matches my rds and that has worked fairly well. And seeing how I was nail driving at a 100yards with the irons, I think I can match the rds.

Oh.forgot to mention, the only reason I asked.was because my m16a4 dmr clone hosts a nikon p223 and pretty much the fronts and rear iron sights sights wouldnt work

Thanks for all your inputs!

GOST
2 November 2014, 12:00
Good luck Soisauss.

WHSmithIV
2 November 2014, 12:12
I just use whatever I have available.