PDA

View Full Version : Magpul Dynamics Training DVD

Stickman
21 October 2008, 06:08
While some people might say that training, or a training DVD isn't really an accessory, I think its a moot point. Without the ability to work a tool, its just another object cluttering up your area.

I think most people may have already heard, but Magpul has released their 3 DVD set from their training division. I have not had a chance to sit down and watch it yet, but I was curious to see if anyone else has, and what their thoughts were.

I don't expect anyone will be able to watch a DVD (or 3), and come out top of the crop, but I would expect that a well laid out training plan combined with drills on the part of the viewer would put them ahead of the power curve.

Thoughts?

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20III/IMG_0981%201028%20wevo.jpg

m24shooter
21 October 2008, 06:26
Doesn't it have a drill section? I could see the utlity in that. A way to go back over skills and keep them in the frontal lobe between training cycles, or when you can't get to an actual range.
I'm going to order the set and take a look at it. I wanted to go to the MD class in Houston this week but Household 6 had other plans.

parabellum
21 October 2008, 09:42
This is the first training DVD I've considered buying.

Do I think it will be as beneficial training as going to an actual Kyle Lamb, Pat Rogers or Chris Costa class? No.

But if it gives me some new things to think about and some new drills to practice I think it would be beneficial and worth the money. I'm looking forward to a review from WEVO staff.

UDT
21 October 2008, 13:31
JMO, it is certainly worth the $40. I feel that a lot of people will find some new and maybe better ways to try out in training or add to their toolbox.

SHIHAN
24 October 2008, 18:12
Retail is only 40.00 for 3 DVD's? If so thats one heck of a bargain.

Stickman
24 October 2008, 18:16
Retail is only 40.00 for 3 DVD's? If so thats one heck of a bargain.

It really is a good price, they could have doubled the price without any problem. Its nice to see that they would rather get it into a lot of hands, than to just make money.

CAPT KIRK
24 October 2008, 18:48
I have mine in hand and it is a great DVD series.

-However- Wo be to anyone that thinks of such a fine DVD set as anything more than something to augment training already gained, or as a good bit of homework to prepare for a class. I would caution anyone from trying to learn from a DVD because if you get something wrong, go practice that thing extensively, then you have just created what Chris calls training scars. Whether it is firearms, martial arts or learning to fly a plane, there is no substitute for live instruction. The demonstration and constructive criticizm that comes with a live instructor is critical.

That being said, this DVD series is one of the best TRAINING AIDS I have seen. At the asking price it is a steal and if you dont have yours yet, I would get busy if I were you.

CAPT KIRK
24 October 2008, 18:52
It really is a good price, they could have doubled the price without any problem. Its nice to see that they would rather get it into a lot of hands, than to just make money.

I think a it has to do with helping to more firmly establish Magpul Dynamics as a premier training company in this field and these DVDs are awsome advertising.

parabellum
9 December 2008, 03:06
i just ordered the DVDs from Brownells. can't wait to watch them.

Ryo
31 December 2008, 22:57
Just bought mine with my dealer account. Can't wait to get it! I keep hearing good things about it.

parabellum
31 December 2008, 23:33
i liked the DVDs.

watching them didn't magically make me teflon coated and wind-tunnel tested BTDT [noob]

but lots of good food for thought. some of the ways they run drills are different from what i'm used to, like the "check" drill. check, ok, ready would confuse me. i'm used to "loading" "load" "up"....but i guess using "check" "ok" doesn't broadcast to the world that you're dry like "loading" "load"

the courses look very solid tho. its a great advertisement for Magpul Dymanics' classes.

like i said, lots to think about. watched them a couple times and still processing it in my little peanut brain. there's a ton of stuff i can work into my own training routine.

Army Chief
2 January 2009, 09:01
While I would concede that seeing remains an imperfect substitute for actually doing, I was so favorably impressed with the set (especially Disc 2) that I backed the entire thing up and installed it on my iPhone for on-the-go refresher training. :)

Chief

OUTLAW-ONE
12 January 2009, 13:54
Does anyone know what namebrand and type the belt rig is that Travis has on in the DVD? Its holding a Pmag & pistol mag.

Venom
12 January 2009, 14:43
looks like eclipse mag pouches to me.

The next DVD will be awesome, if it'll come out like CC said.

g1rock
12 January 2009, 17:41
I thought this DVD set was Awesome. It had alot of factual information on it and would recommend it. Even the third disc had a maintenance section that was very informative. Does anyone know what type of compensator was on Chris Costa's AR ?

Ryo
12 January 2009, 18:58
I believe it's KAC, but it's not released yet. I can't remember what it's called.

Venom
13 January 2009, 00:37
it's KAC's PDW compensator. It's not beeing released separately as it would be too expensive, due to material and productioncosts. ( if I remember CC correctly.

Does anyone know a shop who stocks the KAC Gasblock Flipup sight?

Stickman
13 January 2009, 07:35
Its the KAC, but costs on the material have made it a no-go for production, or at least for right now according to Trey Knight. Its been brought up that a SS or tool steel variant would be cheaper to produce, and would still be heavy duty.

I'm not sure that KAC is looking to simply mass produce a muzzle device, but it will be interesting to see if it pans out. It certainly appears to be the most effective unit on the market, but at a certain point, the overall cost is going to dictate sales. How many people will line for a muzzle brake that runs two hundred dollars? What about if it was 3 or 4 hundred?

For KAC parts, I would contact KAC directly, they have been selling direct for a little while now.

Venom
13 January 2009, 07:40
who cares about the price as long as it looks good and it's been on a DVD ?! j/k. ;)

thanks for the KAC tip.

g1rock
13 January 2009, 16:04
Thanks for the info. It looked like there was alot of machine work involved and it didn't look cheap.

tac40
19 January 2009, 18:58
I'll be in the carbine class this March in California, should be fun. Let see how close it gets to the DVD.

Ryo
19 January 2009, 20:43
Its the KAC, but costs on the material have made it a no-go for production, or at least for right now according to Trey Knight. Its been brought up that a SS or tool steel variant would be cheaper to produce, and would still be heavy duty.

I'm not sure that KAC is looking to simply mass produce a muzzle device, but it will be interesting to see if it pans out. It certainly appears to be the most effective unit on the market, but at a certain point, the overall cost is going to dictate sales. How many people will line for a muzzle brake that runs two hundred dollars? What about if it was 3 or 4 hundred?

For KAC parts, I would contact KAC directly, they have been selling direct for a little while now.

Out of curiousity.. do you know what material it's made from?

Stickman
19 January 2009, 20:52
Out of curiousity.. do you know what material it's made from?

Iconel IIRC.

Teufeldog
20 January 2009, 08:37
I heard there was a trailer showing at SHOT for a new Carbine video. Any idea when this will be released? I'd assumed that the SWAT trailer on disc three was planned for release but that is a big unknown. That would be great too. I'd also like to see them produce/release a training set on secondary weapons.

Venom
20 January 2009, 12:10
costa told me they had LEOs , Mil and "industry big names" at the range, and did some sweatdripping stuff. They also re-shot all the drills and added a handfull of new ones. "Art otTC" was their first movie, and with the new one they improved the shots aswell as the drills. well...that's atleast what he said ;)

OUTLAW-ONE
20 January 2009, 17:16
what kind of bolt assit device where they using in the DVD? I noticed Travis was using a Magpul lower but Costa had a BAD on his KAC lower. who makes it or something just as good.

Ryo
20 January 2009, 21:41
Didn't you just say the 2 systems they were using?

BAD = Bolt Assist Device. The extra attachment to the bolt catch

Magpul Lowers have built in bolt release, but no catch. BAD can do both with the tip of your finger.

OUTLAW-ONE
21 January 2009, 09:00
I'm talking about the BAD that Costa has on his AR in disc one.

Ryo
21 January 2009, 09:57
It's Magpul product that hasn't been released.. There's a few topic specific on the BAD. It's actually's Travis design but Magpul now owns the IP (intellectual product). Magpul is tight lip on when they are going to release it. They are still running tests on them.

No one sells it yet. It's patent pending as well.

ZDL
21 January 2009, 13:14
It's Magpul product that hasn't been released.. There's a few topic specific on the BAD. It's actually's Travis design but Magpul now owns the IP (intellectual product). Magpul is tight lip on when they are going to release it. They are still running tests on them.

No one sells it yet. It's patent pending as well.

They had a poly version that I saw at SHOT. Flimsy. No doubt this was just there to show what they are thinking about. I would like to see the BAD hit the market soon. No one can fault magpul for making sure their products are ready for DUTY prior to release. It's refreshing and garners confidence. Makes it easy to decide on a particular piece of equipment due to magpuls "anal" quality control.

Keep on doing what you do magpul. Don't ever sacrifice quality for speed. Peoples lives depend on your value system.

Ryo
21 January 2009, 13:19
Was it that white one I've seen some pictures of. If so then I don't think that was the same polymer material they use for their heavy duty stuff.

ZDL
21 January 2009, 13:20

I hear you... I hear you... and you're right. Still want to get my hands on one to test though.

Everyone I saw in Knights shirt at their open house and their booth I mentioned interest in this particular product.

ZDL
21 January 2009, 13:32
Was it that white one I've seen some pictures of. If so then I don't think that was the same polymer material they use for their heavy duty stuff.

Don't remember what color it was. I'm sure if they decide to go the polymer route it will be pmag material or something close.

Army Chief
24 January 2009, 03:32
Unless I'm missing the point somehow, I think it's admittedly difficult to predict what specific materials would be used in a production variant -- though the guesses to this point are likely not far from the mark. Whatever they might choose to use, it will surely be up to the task.

I only bring this up because there is often a significant difference between the prototype components we tend to see early on (or at places like SHOT), and the final production versions of anything involving a Magpul polymer. Granted, that's easier to see on a rough-finished prototype stock than it is on something like a pre-production BAD, but we seem to still be at that "proof of concept" stage here.

AC

Ryo
24 January 2009, 10:01
Well even if Magpul's polymer version doesn't hold up, they can always fall back on aluminum or steel.

I built one using 6061 Al, and it's holding up pretty good. Everyone may thing it's a easy thing to do, but there's a lot of engineering thought process placed into that little thing. I've built up couple of prototypes for fun, and as I look at it more, I see thing Magpul did to that guy that makes it great. Can't wait for it to come out.

ZDL
8 February 2009, 17:29
Unless I'm missing the point somehow, I think it's admittedly difficult to predict what specific materials would be used in a production variant -- though the guesses to this point are likely not far from the mark. Whatever they might choose to use, it will surely be up to the task.

I only bring this up because there is often a significant difference between the prototype components we tend to see early on (or at places like SHOT), and the final production versions of anything involving a Magpul polymer. Granted, that's easier to see on a rough-finished prototype stock than it is on something like a pre-production BAD, but we seem to still be at that "proof of concept" stage here.

AC

I share the same opinion. I'm confident the one I saw that was flimsy was "proof of concept" only. I made no judgments. Exciting to see them concerned with things like even the smallest amount of weight.

TigerStripe
8 February 2009, 18:25
I just got mine and it appears that I needed it.

TS

Army Chief
9 February 2009, 06:54
I'm not sure that I completely follow.

Are you talking about a production-ready BAD, and if so, are you just referring to the operational benefits (i.e. speed and simplicity)?

AC