PDA

View Full Version : Another Rail... Alternative Ideas please

alamo5000
3 November 2014, 17:05
The only part that I am lacking now for my build is a rail.

I had a Gieselle MK2 15 inch rail in my hands but the problem is I paid full price but the thing had small manufacturing defects on it.

By small, it appears that someone at the factory dinged the thing on the side and marred it up but then anondized it anyway.

It was pretty cosmetic, but I paid full price for a brand new rail...hence I have decided to ship the thing back.

I was informed that that model is a discontinued item though... I am sure I could probably find another floating around the internet somewhere... but I am interested in alternative ideas.

Don't get me wrong, I would put that Gieselle on the AR in a heartbeat and would love it. I love the feel of it in my hand.

But for the sake of argument, I am looking for a 15 inch rail. It cannot be a quad rail. I would like one that will allow me to put little sections of rail where I need them, but I am looking for something that could possibly be a competitor to the gieselle...

It's either A) hunt down another (discontinued) item somewhere else... or B) find something similar in nature.

Fire away. I would love to hear forum members ideas. I hear the term 'key mod' and I am not quite sure what that means...

15 inch black rail, flat top, must be a very respectable manufacturer (no cheap chinese anything).... free float all the way.

The Gieselle has the swag factor for sure... but I am just not sure about my options.

Once I get a few good options down then I can narrow my choices based on more experienced advice.

DutyUse
3 November 2014, 17:25
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/03/c8ddb6bd079b7da095e72e168afc4ada.jpg

Here's a look at a Noveske keymod rail. See the row of what looks like half circles with a notch? That's one of 3 rows of keymod on this particular rail, being at 3, 6 and 9 o'clock. This method of directly attaching accessories makes Keymod cool for me personally. You can still mount rails where you'd like but also any keymod stuff will go on and off in seconds without using rails.

Geissele makes amazing gear, but so do a lot of other companies! it's a wonderful time to be an AR15 enthusiast. Really it just comes down to what you want in your platform. I liked the fact my 13" noveske NSR was slim (1.5" diameter), used keymod and was fairly lightweight.

VIPER 237
3 November 2014, 17:27
Bravo Company KMR. It's the lightest, and one of the strongest set ups out there, and it's stupid easy to install. I do like the NSR as well but the BCM is what I buy now.

Another option is the M-lok system from Magpul. Midwest Industries makes a very light and strong 15" in their SS gen2 series.

DutyUse
3 November 2014, 17:32
Bravo Company KMR. It's the lightest, and one of the strongest set ups out there, and it's stupid easy to install. I do like the NSR as well but the BCM is what I buy now.

^This. I got impatient waiting for BCM to release KMR seemingly all summer and bought the noveske 2 weeks before they finally did. Oh well set me on a good path towards a kick ass noveske build

Ride4frnt
3 November 2014, 17:48
Noveske, BCM, Rainier Force, SLR rifleworks, parallax tactical. Too many options.

alamo5000
3 November 2014, 17:52

Another option is the M-lok system from Magpul. Midwest Industries makes a very light and strong 15" in their SS gen2 series.

Magpul... eh.... I am looking for something more along the lines of metal for this one... the Bravo Company KMR looks great. I like it. I just can't find one that is back and 15" anywhere online :)

Stone
3 November 2014, 17:53
Wilson Combats Trim rail is one of my favorites...

alamo5000
3 November 2014, 17:55
Too many options.

You're telling me!

This is part of the reason I haven't even tried to get into AR's until now. I've eyed it and saved for 2 years...but what is 'good' and what is crap... too much marketing. I get a marketing headache when I think about all this AR stuff.

Too many options with some being great stuff but others being cheapo knock off rip off stuff.

DutyUse
3 November 2014, 17:57
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/03/65400f8b6916e59321435c8b69f92d8b.jpg

I'll agree there are a TON of great options out right now. It's actually harder to find a bad rail IMHO.

I just can't break away from these super narrow LW styles. Once i found the Troy alpha a few years back that was it for me..

VIPER 237
3 November 2014, 18:02
Magpul... eh.... I am looking for something more along the lines of metal for this one... the Bravo Company KMR looks great. I like it. I just can't find one that is back and 15" anywhere online :)

Haha no its a new attachment system that Magpul developed and many manufactures have jumped on board. It is similar to the Keymod system but some say may have some advantages.

DutyUse
3 November 2014, 18:03
You're telling me!

This is part of the reason I haven't even tried to get into AR's until now. I've eyed it and saved for 2 years...but what is 'good' and what is crap... too much marketing. I get a marketing headache when I think about all this AR stuff.

Too many options with some being great stuff but others being cheapo knock off rip off stuff.

If this is your first AR then STOP!
Go and directly buy a Colt 6720 or 6920.
Buying a quality rifle up front and save a ton which you need to invest in LOTS of rounds. Once you get a couple thousand rounds through it you wouldn't need to ask about parts. You'll get the feel of what you like and what you would possibly want to replace in the future on your actual build ;)

Welcome to the WEVO disease. Stay awhile!

SINNER
3 November 2014, 18:08
I assembled a upper for a friend with the Fortis REV and was surprised how much I liked it. Light and seemingly very strong. It does have continuous top and bottom rails though. I just ordered a Daniel Defense SLiM rail in 15" for a new build. I prefer their barrel nut and mounting system to most other designs.

alamo5000
3 November 2014, 18:15
If this is your first AR then STOP!

Too late. I need a rail and I am all set. Everything else is done. My lower is already assembled and have all the parts for the upper (except now the rail).

Ride4frnt
3 November 2014, 18:28
My favorites at the moment are the rainier force and SLR solo ultralight.

DutyUse
3 November 2014, 18:34
Too late. I need a rail and I am all set. Everything else is done. My lower is already assembled and have all the parts for the upper (except now the rail).

Oops missed that part... Well in that case proceed ;)

Do you have a build thread here I maybe missed? Seeing what other components you've choose can help determine what you need/lack

UWone77
3 November 2014, 18:35
You really just need a build thread. To be honest, starting a new thread for every component has been confusing and I've lost track of where you are with it.

alamo5000
3 November 2014, 18:35
Oops missed that part... Well in that case proceed ;)

Do you have a build thread here I maybe missed? Seeing what other components you've choose can help determine what you need/lack

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?6530-First-AR-Build-in-Progress&highlight=

Dstrbdmedic167
3 November 2014, 18:36
You really just need a build thread. To be honest, starting a new thread for every component has been confusing and I've lost track of where you are with it.

😂😂😂

UWone77
3 November 2014, 18:37
Let's keep all questions on one thread then please.

alamo5000
3 November 2014, 18:38

Sorry man if I've violated some kind of etiquette of the board. Not at all meaning to be a pain in the rear.

The only part I have left (now) is the rail. I had a rail but I had to return it because it was damaged/blemished.

After I get another rail I can put up pics of the finished product.

alamo5000
3 November 2014, 18:39
Let's keep all questions on one thread then please.

Thumbs up.

UWone77
3 November 2014, 18:39
Sorry man if I've violated some kind of etiquette of the board. Not at all meaning to be a pain in the rear.

The only part I have left (now) is the rail. I had a rail but I had to return it because it was damaged/blemished.

After I get another rail I can put up pics of the finished product.

You didn't violate anything... just makes it easier for everyone to help you, since your questions are all related to the main build. Carry on.

alamo5000
3 November 2014, 18:44
You didn't violate anything... just makes it easier for everyone to help you, since your questions are all related to the main build. Carry on.

http://media.giphy.com/media/bHfHm8pkMD99C/giphy.gif

Former11B
4 November 2014, 14:55
http://www.samson-mfg.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SM&Product_Code=Evolution-15&Category_Code=AR15

Samson is good to go. Mounts to factory barrel nut.

I have a 12" version by them for Rainier and I love it

WHSmithIV
4 November 2014, 15:19
Midwest Industries and Strike Industries make rails that don't break the bank. I like the MI SS Gen 2 rails and they also dome with some extra rail segments.

alamo5000
4 November 2014, 17:00
Here is what I went with...

http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=66_106_70&product_id=113

I originally ordered the keymod version but it had a 3 week backorder so they called and asked me if I wouldn't mind switching to use Vmod instead... After a simple crash course in what is Vmod vs Keymod and thinking it over I think Vmod looks really attractive for a number of reasons...and to be real honest it doesn't make a whole lot of difference to me... and it is nice to know that magpul is committed to the vmod concept.

They also threw in some accessories and gave me a discount on a muzzle device...all because their site had my original order listed as in stock but it really wasn't...

So far I am very very impressed with this company. Their service and attitude and overall demeanor (and company image) is fantastic. I haven't seen the stuff yet, but odds are I am going to be singing their praises.

Here is the muzzle device they discounted for me for working with them.

http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=94&product_id=382

Ride4frnt
4 November 2014, 17:06
Here is what I went with...

http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=66_106_70&product_id=113

I originally ordered the keymod version but it had a 3 week backorder so they called and asked me if I wouldn't mind switching to use Vmod instead... After a simple crash course in what is Vmod vs Keymod and thinking it over I think Vmod looks really attractive for a number of reasons...and to be real honest it doesn't make a whole lot of difference to me... and it is nice to know that magpul is committed to the vmod concept.

They also threw in some accessories and gave me a discount on a muzzle device...all because their site had my original order listed as in stock but it really wasn't...

So far I am very very impressed with this company. Their service and attitude and overall demeanor (and company image) is fantastic. I haven't seen the stuff yet, but odds are I am going to be singing their praises.

Here is the muzzle device they discounted for me for working with them.

http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=94&product_id=382

Do you mean m-lok? Not sure where vmod came from

At any rate, nice choice!

alamo5000
4 November 2014, 18:27
Do you mean m-lok? Not sure where vmod came from

It came from the fact that I had a complete brain fart.

I was typing, talking, carrying on a conversation, and watching tv... all at the same time so something had to give.

LOL

alamo5000
4 November 2014, 18:31

I am seriously getting ready to get on with this thing :) I have a few extras in the mail (scope mount etc) but I am excited to see how this thing all turns out and looks.

I had a choice between a 15 inch rail and a 14 inch rail and for this time I chose the 14. We shall see how all this works once I get the bad boy together.

Former11B
5 November 2014, 12:41
It came from the fact that I had a complete brain fart.

I was typing, talking, carrying on a conversation, and watching tv... all at the same time so something had to give.

LOL

Design and patent the V-Mod system lol

SLR makes some nice stuff. Good choice

alamo5000
5 November 2014, 17:05
Design and patent the V-Mod system lol

SLR makes some nice stuff. Good choice

I guess I was seriously thinking in my head 'keymod' and was trying to get the word 'mlok' out and somehow or another vmod or vlock or some other random made up crap came out in a completely freudian way. LOL!!!

It's ok, I can laugh at myself. Other people do. :)

I seriously though like what I saw on their website. I haven't even seen the part yet but so far my sixth spider sense tells me I made a good choice of something that will be a good fit for me.

It could turn out that the 'not in stock' problem of the keymod rail could just be what the doctor ordered. The more I read about mlok the more I like the system.

That said, if I invest the time to look at keymod systems I will probably like them too, but hey... I am satisfied so far so that's all that matters.

alamo5000
7 November 2014, 16:39
My SLR rail arrived today.

This thing is a thing of beauty.

WOW.

10 minutes out of the box and I am loving it. A LOT.

six8
29 November 2014, 09:45
Let's see it

alamo5000
29 November 2014, 09:51
Let's see it

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?6624-My-Stickman-AR-Build-Complete-%28with-pics%29&highlight=

WHSmithIV
29 November 2014, 10:27
I second the Midwest industries SS Gen 2 for a choice. It also comes included with some extra rail sections.