PDA

View Full Version : Mark Own AMA on Reddit is Brutal

Liberal_Strong
5 November 2014, 14:07
for those who dont follow him or use reddit, mark owen aka Matt Bissonnette who wrote no easy day and no hero is being (by my eyes) shredded by people asking "questions." he's being chewed out left and right about selling out, rolling/sleeping in money, etc. now i dont wanna start any wars in here but does any here have anything against what he did?

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2leeww/im_mark_owen_author_of_no_easy_day_and_no_hero_ama/

GOST
5 November 2014, 14:20
He should have used proper protocol and used the declassifier, same protocol where I work. But I also am thankful to him for being part of the team that got him. One of the things I read said that they were mad about a pic of the GPNVG-18 in the book.

Liberal_Strong
5 November 2014, 14:25
you think he wouldve been given as much crap if he released the book after the release ofr zero dark thirty where they used the 4 tube nvg?

Ride4frnt
5 November 2014, 14:28
Kicked him out of the SEALs for it IIRC. Personally I think if it wasn't him writing it one of the others would've written it eventually.

Liberal_Strong
5 November 2014, 14:30
Kicked him out of the SEALs for it IIRC. Personally I think if it wasn't him writing it one of the others would've written it eventually.

i thought he left on his own terms after the mission? if he got booted then ouch, that really adds more hurt to his rep. i agree that others wouldve written about it too, but i dont think anyone wouldve written/release it as soon as he did..afterall it was just a little over a year when he released the book.

Ride4frnt
5 November 2014, 14:31
i thought he left on his own terms after the mission? if he got booted then ouch, that really adds more hurt to his rep. i agree that others wouldve written about it too, but i dont think anyone wouldve written/release it as soon as he did..afterall it was just a little over a year when he released the book.

What I meant by that was the SEALs is a lifetime type deal. They effectively told him he's no longer welcome at future gatherings, etc.

Liberal_Strong
5 November 2014, 14:33
well in that case im guessing his teammate Robert O'Neill who's coming out as the shooter and doing an interview/segment on 11/11-12 is gonna get the same treatment..damn..

Ride4frnt
5 November 2014, 14:38
I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere

GOST
5 November 2014, 14:43
He says he texted his commanding officer and got a text back saying "delete me".

Liberal_Strong
5 November 2014, 14:52
He says he texted his commanding officer and got a text back saying "delete me".

hot damn!

voodoo_man
5 November 2014, 15:21
There are just something you do not talk about, ever, under any circumstance.

The teams, much like any profession which requires you to make family of your brothers (and sisters) in arms, require a very high level of loyalty and confidentiality.

Mark went beyond that, that will be his legacy, not his time on the teams, not his service, not the lie that he, himself, killed OBL. All of that does not matter now that he put on the hat he will wear for as long as anyone remembers his name.

That said, I enjoyed No Easy Day and I pre-ordered his next book. I know he didn't write them, or rather had someone ghost write them for him. I enjoy the genre of book and read all the books I can get my hands on.

As for the matter of reddit, that place is full of people who think they know more than they really do - which is pathetic - and they all want to make everyone else feel bad. It is a horrible representation of how the general public is on the internet (not that FB is better). It would be the last place I'd post an AMA. Then again, SOCNET probably wouldn't be the first...

GOST
5 November 2014, 15:37
What you said Voodoo, I totally agree. It is shame that'll be his legacy.