PDA

View Full Version : Good tool list please

LMMzach
5 November 2014, 15:26
I'm sure there has to be some good tools out there. I've bought 3 different armorers wrenches not that have all broken or bent (things were torqued to spec). I just picked up a reaction rod to start this list. Just wondering if I could get some help finding some other tools? Thanks

UWone77
5 November 2014, 15:37
My personal list:

Geissele Reaction Rod
Geissele Punches
Smith Enterprise Armorers Wrench
Starrett Punch Set
Magna-Matic Defense Dead Blow Hammer

One of these days I'm going to pick up a Hammer Head Tool

LMMzach
5 November 2014, 16:29
Thank you sir

UWone77
5 November 2014, 16:37
Instead of the Smith Enterprise, you should look at the Magpul Wrench. Looks like it provides a lot.

Ride4frnt
5 November 2014, 16:41
Instead of the Smith Enterprise, you should look at the Magpul Wrench. Looks like it provides a lot.

If only it and the BEV were available...

SwissyJim
5 November 2014, 16:52
love love LOVE my hammerhead! Saw it for the first time in an armorer's class and have been using it since. My others just sit in a closet...

Also love the reaction rod - gave my clamshell grips to a friend

CarbonScoring
5 November 2014, 16:55
While not for assembling the upper and lower receivers, the Fat Wrench is a great tool. I always figured I'd just tighten things down until they were tight, but for things like scope rings and screws in my Parallax Tactical barrel nut, it is nice knowing they are torqued to spec.

LMMzach
5 November 2014, 19:35
That's the biggest thing the spanner wrench part that I use for my cmr keeps breaking the nipple off

Slippers
6 November 2014, 05:41
That's the biggest thing the spanner wrench part that I use for my cmr keeps breaking the nipple off
Best tool I've used for CMR barrel nuts is a pin spanner from McMaster. It's actually what Monty recommends. Granted, there's no way to attach a torque wrench, so you have gauge it with your arm.

Second best tool is going to be a DD Lite wrench with the engagement tabs ground down to fit. They work great as long as you don't torque over 50 ft lbs.

Gaspipeshooter
6 November 2014, 05:51
I've got:

6" pipe vise mounted on my dedicated gun building bench - adjustable head so I can rotate the jaw head 360 degrees as needed.

The Geissele Armor's Package, which includes:
Reaction Rod
Trigger fitting pin
Roll pin tool
Gas Block pin punch set

Brownell's roll pin holder set

Brownell's Roll pin punch set

Precision Reflex Armorer's barrel nut wrench

Combination Armorer's Wrench

1/2" drive torque wrench

3/4" Nylon/Brass Hammer

Huge variety of other misc. punches, needle nose pliers, screwdrivers, Torx drivers, Allen drivers, ratcheting handles, etc.

I also have a small air brush compressor on the bench with a blow gun for blowing off parts after cleaning, etc.

I love having the right tool for the job.

LMMzach
6 November 2014, 15:08
Best tool I've used for CMR barrel nuts is a pin spanner from McMaster. It's actually what Monty recommends. Granted, there's no way to attach a torque wrench, so you have gauge it with your arm.

Second best tool is going to be a DD Lite wrench with the engagement tabs ground down to fit. They work great as long as you don't torque over 50 ft lbs.

You know the size off hand?

Slippers
6 November 2014, 15:14
Corrie provided the info: Mcmaster part # 5472A2

Ride4frnt
6 November 2014, 15:15
Geissele reaction rod on sale on primary arms for $74

LMMzach
15 November 2014, 10:58
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/15/b1f78c522e2514ce113fc90f38785640.jpg

Reaction rod came today

Dstrbdmedic167
15 November 2014, 11:10
Nice!! I need to get one but usually end up buying something else....

alamo5000
15 November 2014, 12:56
I bought some of the no-marring plastic vice clamps to put my upper together. It worked just fine. Got the job done no problem. That said I was also interested in possibly investing in a reaction rod.

This might be a completely stupid question but I will ask it anyway....

What prevents the upper itself from spinning on the rod? Specifically when tightening or loosening the barrel nut what prevents the upper from twisting as you tighten the barrel nut down?

LMMzach
15 November 2014, 13:20
Nice!! I need to get one but usually end up buying something else....

I put my first rifle together with minimal tools that I had lying around from other things. It worked however I found myself (rigging) if you will to make them work. Also getting stuck in the roll pin because the punch was to small. I plan to do a few builds I have a lot of fun with it so I figured I should invest in some quality tools to do the job.

LMMzach
15 November 2014, 13:21
I bought some of the no-marring plastic vice clamps to put my upper together. It worked just fine. Got the job done no problem. That said I was also interested in possibly investing in a reaction rod.

This might be a completely stupid question but I will ask it anyway....

What prevents the upper itself from spinning on the rod? Specifically when tightening or loosening the barrel nut what prevents the upper from twisting as you tighten the barrel nut down?

The pin on your barrel that slides into the upper to keep the barrel lined up. When the reaction rod is in all the pressure is on the barrel not the upper.

Stone
15 November 2014, 13:26
Didn't see it listed yet but a good set of roll pin holder punches are a must have.http://www.policestore.com/armorer-tools/general-tools/punches/roll-pin-holders-prod781.aspx

alamo5000
15 November 2014, 13:45
The pin on your barrel that slides into the upper to keep the barrel lined up. When the reaction rod is in all the pressure is on the barrel not the upper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tc7tOQ_UHo

LMMzach
15 November 2014, 14:31
Didn't see it listed yet but a good set of roll pin holder punches are a must have.http://www.policestore.com/armorer-tools/general-tools/punches/roll-pin-holders-prod781.aspx

Ah good one!