PDA

View Full Version : Folding knife question

KW900A
7 November 2014, 10:29
I'm doing a little Christmas shopping, and my sister is wanting a new carry knife. She is small and wants something small and concealable, i.e. thinner profile with a pocket clip. I think shes mainly after something that won't stick out. She has carried larger knives, and is getting to not like them as much. What she does not want is assisted opening. Thats a challenge for me as I had a couple of good ideas until she told me that. I've been looking at Kershaw and SOG knives, just wondering if anyone has any input on a good small, non assisted folding knife with a pocket clip. Under say $100. She didn't specify, but I'm looking 3" and under blade length. Thanks.

CLBME
7 November 2014, 10:52
The Benchmade mini Griptillian is a great knife. Smaller in size, same axis lock and comes in colors. They are light-weight and "comparatively" thin I'd say. http://www.benchmade.com/products/556

Pyzik
7 November 2014, 11:12
I would say a Leek, Chive or Scallion but I think all have the Speed Safe.

I love my Leek. Very slim and Kershaw has EXCELLENT customer service.

Computalotapus
7 November 2014, 11:15
The Kershaw Emerson CQC series blades. some are just a little over 3" and a couple just under 3" here are some on bladehq (http://www.bladehq.com/cat--All-Items--1--1--search=kershaw+cqc?x=0&y=0). Personally my favorite of the series is the CQC-3K Tanto 2.75" (http://www.bladehq.com/item--Kershaw-6014TBLK-CQC-3K-Tanto--21423)

ddearmon2010
7 November 2014, 11:34
don't like folders personally... they always get loose after awhile... prefer my fixed blades... they do have some nice neck knifes that are about the right size and are thin and fixed

KW900A
7 November 2014, 12:02
I have all 3 of those! The leek and scallion were my first 2 ideas... I carry my leek more than anything too

Thanks for the input so far. I will shop some more when I get home. May buy a couple and 'forget' to give them at Xmas haha

I was replying to pyzik's post but it didn't work.

castiel
7 November 2014, 12:07
Spyderco! I don't know how "girly" your sister is but here is one in pink: http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Dragonfly-Pink-Plain-Edge/dp/B00B3ZZG3M/

MonkeyBomb
7 November 2014, 13:35
Benchmade Mini-Griptilian. You can do the custom shop version and use the MIL/LEO discount and a code and get it dirt cheap.

voodoo_man
7 November 2014, 14:16
+1 for mini griptillian.

Get it engraved.

KW900A
7 November 2014, 16:44
I like that mini griptillian. I totally forgot about benchmade knives. I personally am not LEO/MIL so I can't use such a discount. I have some friends that are, but that's a sort of privilege I don't take advantage of unless they offer. It just doesn't feel right.

alamo5000
7 November 2014, 16:44
If you want quality and a fantastic knife, go with DPX Gear.

BIG TIME.

I would suggest the HEAT but look on their website. They have numerous models that might also fit the bill.

They are by far among the best of the best. One of their knives won blade of the decade at Blade Show, which is kind of like SHOT Show only knife specific.

Easy under $200 you can get a great knife with a lifetime warranty attached to it.

KW900A
7 November 2014, 16:47
Haha she isn't too girly, there's a long standing joke amongst my friends that they are 'scared' of my sister. She's 5 foot tall, is always carrying at least a knife and at night tends bar in a pool hall. She also likes shooting guns bigger than her.

But she wouldn't be afraid to use a pink knife.

KW900A
7 November 2014, 16:53
I just scrolled through those DPX knives. They are very nice looking. Little pricey for a Christmas present. But not for a Christmas present to me ;)

voodoo_man
7 November 2014, 17:01
http://i.imgur.com/CyMidgE.jpg

I am a huge fan of the DPx HEST folder. It is my EDC and I love it.

Would I suggest people go out and buy one if they love blades? Yes. If they don't know anything about knives and just want a knife "that will work" I would not suggest this blade.

alamo5000
7 November 2014, 17:08
http://i.imgur.com/CyMidgE.jpg

I am a huge fan of the DPx HEST folder. It is my EDC and I love it.

Would I suggest people go out and buy one if they love blades? Yes. If they don't know anything about knives and just want a knife "that will work" I would not suggest this blade.

I have a bunch of DPX knives...

I EDC with a HEST folder (there are several versions)....but for the good of the OP and asking his question about knives... its important to note that the knife is not tested until you try to sharpen it. Yes you can get a $10 wal mart knife and it might work fine for a bit... but the superior workmanship and metals used in higher end knives are worth it if you ask me. I've never 'kept' a knife until I owned DPX... they ride great, and the metals are higher end so that you can get years of use from it.

If you want a knife that you will keep for years on end... I am still sticking with DPX. If you want one to throw in the boat or tackle box... I would not go with DPX.

As for the price... those MSRP prices are higher somewhat than what you can get em for on the street.

Check out this DPX Heat. It's a smaller version of the HEST in the pic above.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DPX-Gear-DPHTF002-HEAT-F-Plain-Edge-Folding-Knife-D2-Steel-OD-Green-G-10-/361082323162?pt=US_Knives_Tools&hash=item54122f00da

$150 bucks to the door and you have a small nice knife that is just fantastic. If it's one she will carry around with her and care for.... you can't go wrong.

alamo5000
7 November 2014, 17:12
I just scrolled through those DPX knives. They are very nice looking. Little pricey for a Christmas present. But not for a Christmas present to me ;)

Either way bro, you can't go wrong. For a HEAT (the smaller one) you are looking about $150 for a lifetime knife. For about $25 more you can get the HEST which is a bit bigger.... but not too big.

They have hands down been the best knives I have ever owned or used.

And plus they have a lifetime warranty. Anything breaks it gets fixed or replaced. Period.

jymbeux
7 November 2014, 20:20
I'd also suggest checking out the kershaw skyline. Excellent blade and super light.

din
9 November 2014, 00:49
Pelton might be a well known writer, but he's also a thin-skinned douchebag who had an emo seizure all over another forum when his first run of HEST knives came out, and I don't care if his knives are made of BJs he'll never see a dollar of my money.

Spyderco Techno if you love your sister, Spyderco Dragonfly in ZDP if you just like her.

alamo5000
9 November 2014, 06:30
Pelton might be a well known writer, but he's also a thin-skinned douchebag who had an emo seizure all over another forum when his first run of HEST knives came out, and I don't care if his knives are made of BJs he'll never see a dollar of my money.

Have you ever met, or talked to, or conversed with the man? EVER? Quick lipped and sharp tongued he most certainly can be but he's also one of the nicest guys ever. But he still has designed and makes one of the better set of knives on the market which is the point to this thread. Not bringing up old vendettas, which now need to be addressed.

Do you even know anything about the 'incident' at hand by the way?

On said forum there was a knife reviewer (who is Asian) and a customer (and friend) of Pelton. He was an online knife reviewer. He had a serious facial deformity but none the less he still did knife reviews on YouTube. A guy on the forum began aggressively insulting him (I'm not sure if or which exact slurs he used) but Pelton took up for the guy. He basically told the one guy who was trying to be anonymous (and who was doing the attacking) to stop the manner in which he was doing it.

He didn't stop-- so Pelton let him have it. He was trying to hide behind a screen name and attack someone who was more public so Pelton did in fact let the dude have it. This person who got butt hurt was also apparently friends and the right hand man with the site managers so they went back and selectively deleted their friend's comments. Also the other side of the story, rumor has it that the particular site in question owed money to RYP and several other knife companies and didn't want to pay up so they used all that as a scapegoat.

Now a Hattfield's and McCoy's feud kept on and on and on going trying to slander Pelton as a person, but people only get half the story in the process and usually not the real story. If you're gotta pass a rumor try finding out the whole story first.

It still doesn't matter. Feuds are feuds. Things happen. But half the people who talk trash about Pelton over this have 1. never talked to the guy ever, nor even tried to get to know him 2. Never tried to even look at, touch or handle a product that he puts out.

Yeah, Pelton is a friend of mine. Yes there was an altercation, but over what and the resulting fallout over it matters. You're slandering people I know by making some baseless one sided comment like that.

MoxyDave
9 November 2014, 12:45
Benchmade mini Griptilian or Osbourne Axis. Spyderco Endura, might be a bit large though. The Benchmade Axis lock is a great system. Super easy to open and close one-handed. The Griptilian line has brass bushings for tight lockup and extremely smooth operation. Probably my favorite folding knife, and I have owned and used quite a few ...

din
9 November 2014, 15:48
tl;dr.

it doesn't take a whole lot of character not to blow up about something online, and yeah, I watched the entire thing unfold. If it walks like a douche and smells like a douche...He goes in the same bin as Ernie Emerson and that fucking fraud Mick Stryder.

alamo5000
9 November 2014, 16:02
it doesn't take a whole lot of character not to blow up about something online, and yeah, I watched the entire thing unfold. If it walks like a douche and smells like a douche...He goes in the same bin as Ernie Emerson and that fucking fraud Mick Stryder.

Back to the subject of quality knives (and not beefs of one type or another) there are several very good brands of knives, including DPX and others mentioned here.

Hopefully we can show the OP some specific options to help him spend his money [:D]

More info on products=wiser and better decisions.

KW900A
9 November 2014, 16:33
Well... I have looked at every suggested knife and brand mentioned in this thread. I appreciate everyones input, but I do believe she is getting the Mini Griptilian. I keep going back to that one, while I actually do not own any Benchmade knives myself, I am familiar with their quality and have handled them. Someone mentioned the LEO/MIL discount, which I cannot use. Are there any good online retailers to buy them through, or other ways to get a break on the price? Picking the steel and engraving makes it a little pricier than I'd like, so I was curious as to any other ways to save a buck or two.

Thanks again for all the help!

*I did add a HEST 6 Milspec to my Christmas list though....

UWone77
9 November 2014, 16:37

Great choice. I have 3 DPx blades myself, and they are very nice blades. I think your sister will be happy with a mini-griptillian. I've actually had better luck finding blades like Benchmades used (but either never used or never opened) on the secondary market.

Eric
9 November 2014, 17:55
Another option in that size and price range is the Spyderco Native. Lightweight, thin, easy to carry, 3.125" blade, CPM S30V steel. Under $80 street price.

castiel
10 November 2014, 09:27
Well... I have looked at every suggested knife and brand mentioned in this thread. I appreciate everyones input, but I do believe she is getting the Mini Griptilian. I keep going back to that one, while I actually do not own any Benchmade knives myself, I am familiar with their quality and have handled them. Someone mentioned the LEO/MIL discount, which I cannot use. Are there any good online retailers to buy them through, or other ways to get a break on the price? Picking the steel and engraving makes it a little pricier than I'd like, so I was curious as to any other ways to save a buck or two.

Thanks again for all the help!

Here are some for $89.25 and free shipping:
http://www2.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_store.html?usrsearch=mini+griptilian

CoxeyDiesel
10 November 2014, 10:11
http://www.bladehq.com/item--Benchmade-Pink-Mini--4021

voodoo_man
10 November 2014, 13:15
MIL/LEO discount puts a standard mini griptilian around $80 + shipping....so anything in the area of $90 is about as each as you get.

Ride4frnt
10 November 2014, 13:45
While on the subject of knives, what are you guys using for sharpeners? I need to put an edge back on my ridgeback and esee knives before deer season.

voodoo_man
10 November 2014, 14:40
While on the subject of knives, what are you guys using for sharpeners? I need to put an edge back on my ridgeback and esee knives before deer season.

I have a guy locally that does it - he's a pro.

He charges $1.50 an inch on any blade (including custom work) and you normally get it back in a week (including shipping) - PM if you want info.

KW900A
10 November 2014, 22:32
I use a victorinox 10" shaft style. Really the only style I have ever regularly used. I also have a set of sharpening stones that were left to me when my grandad passed.

alamo5000
10 November 2014, 22:50

REALLY sharpening a knife is as much art as it is science. At one point I had my DPX HEST Milspec so sharp (for that knife) that I could drop a tomato from about a foot up onto the stationary blade and it would slice clean through.

If you have the funds and really really like knives get a wicked edge.

I found some cheap one on amazon/ebay where you can set the angle for the grind, and it has swappable stones all the way up to grit 10,000. Free handing it is not that easy to get a consistent edge. It might get somewhat sharp but it takes a lot of time and practice.

If I could find someone locally who will put a proper edge on it at the angles I like I would just drop it off and let them do it. Most of the ones I have seen use machine grinders though and I don't like those so every once in a while I break out my unweildy and somewhat not user friendly, but relatively effective cheapo Amazon special.

KW900A
10 November 2014, 22:59
Got that right... Art, science, skill and practice. I know the tool you are referring to, my father in law has one, he's still learning how to master it.

I have never paid to have my knives sharpened, but have considered it. I do have my cutco kitchen knives sharpened as they do it free for life.

alamo5000
10 November 2014, 23:08
Got that right... Art, science, skill and practice. I know the tool you are referring to, my father in law has one, he's still learning how to master it.

After I am done with my AR build I might invest some time and money to build my own sharpener for the knife(s) I have and predominantly use (HEST folder). The blade shape doesn't work well with that style of sharpener but if you take your time it can be done.

I got it 'right' a couple times but I have been inconsistent at others...but man, when it gets done right there ain't nothing like a REALLY sharp knife.

jymbeux
11 November 2014, 09:05
I started out using a lansky kit but it was a pain for thicker spined blades. I switched over to the work sharp Ken onion edition and can't say enough about it. It makes sharpening and changing edge angles quick and easy.

MoxyDave
11 November 2014, 11:10
Spyderco Sharpmaker. Easy to use, consistent results. I can get a razor edge in about 2 minutes with any knife I own.

KW900A
14 November 2014, 07:32
Ok, well a mini griptillian is in the mail! Thanks for the help! I don't think I would have found this particular knife without y'all's help...

UWone77
14 November 2014, 07:37
Ok, well a mini griptillian is in the mail! Thanks for the help! I don't think I would have found this particular knife without y'all's help...

Where'd you order from?

KW900A
14 November 2014, 08:58
http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/BM556P/Benchmade-556-Mini-Griptilian-291-inch-Satin-Plain-Edge-Blade-Black-Handle

I debated getting her the sand handle, but it was 3-4 weeks out so I didn't want to press my luck.

KW900A
14 November 2014, 09:00
If the sand shows up in stock though, I may still order it and keep the black handle for myself, seeing as how I don't have one of these either... ;)

KW900A
19 November 2014, 22:53
Knife came... Stupid me had to play with it... Now I want one

You can definitely feel the quality. Solid grip and super smooth mechanics. Very nice piece indeed. Thanks again for all the help!