PDA

View Full Version : Thompson's Stickman 100K Giveaway Build

Thompson
7 November 2014, 21:19
Whelp ... I wanted to wait a little for the dust to settle before posting this, so I guess now's a good of a time as any to do so.

Just to remind everyone, I won a CMT billet upper UPUR-4 (slick side, no FA, no shell deflector, just dust cover) and a Parabellum Armament ADO charging handle.

(Pictures can be found here: Did You Win Post Your Pics Here (http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?6490-Did-You-Win-Post-Your-Pics-here/page4)) (Another big shout out to Stick, UW, the Giveaway team, Rainier Arms, CMT, and Parabellum Aramament.)

I know that I want to do a really impressive build that hopefully Stick would approve of. So in other words, a no bars held build; only the very best of parts. Although I will say that this build will have to take the course of over a couple years due to my current living/financial situation (aka college).

I have a possible idea of where I'd like to go with this build. I was recently watching a video about supressors - and I got the idea: to do a suppressed 300 BLK build - amongst other ideas (competition gun, weight-saving theme, pistol build). However at this point I'm entertaining all ideas; this was just one idea that I had that really peaked my interest. I am also thinking about doing it as two-tone build (all black receiver set; FDE'ish rail, pistol grip, stock).

Some parts that I know I want right of the bat:
CMT billet lower
BAD-EPS
BAD-ASS (cerakoted in Magpul FDE)
Seekin Precision billet magazine release
Geissele trigger (not sure which yet - perhaps a flat trigger, had the chance to shoot with one and I liked it)
B5 SOPMOD/Magpul CRT (one of those)
Not sure what BCG yet - have yet to start researching the different types of coatings/treatment - I will say that I probably wont go with a BCM BCG, just for the sake of variety (some ideas I threw around: Parallax Tactical TiN, WND NiB, UCWRG, and Fathom Arms) I've been kind of poking around at Fathom Arms at the moment.

Quick note about the CMT billet lower. From looking on their site, it looks like they give the option to do a custom engraving. So I figured what better of a way to commemorate a build, than by doing an engraving. So ... I'm not sure if this is possible, but I was thinking about doing something like either a Stickman logo (since this is his giveaway) or a WEVO/logo (like at the top of the webpage: Weapon [logo] Evolution). So if a mod (I guess someone like UW or Stick) could chime in on this, I'd greatly appreciate this!

... the one thing that I'm not really sure of is, how necessary is the FA (in the sense of having one on a duty/SHTF/go-bag gun)? Is it actually worth having? I know I've read some people say that you don't really need it for an immediate drill. So depending on what this answer is, this may just turn into a range/plinking gun if the FA is really that necessary.

Another thing I wanted to ask. I was thinking about maybe doing a 10" build with 6" a pinned and welded suppressor (so still being technically 16" legal) - while also being able to shroud the suppressor inside a rail. .... how practical is this? Especially from a heat/warmth perspective after shooting a while.

But we'll see; I'll probably have a better idea where I'd like to go with this after I pick up the Jack.

Open to any and all comments, suggestions, constructive criticism, thoughts, ideas, and GOST threads.

DutyUse
7 November 2014, 21:53
Sounds like you've got an impressive build in the works!

From what I've seen CMT should be able to engrave either image no problem.

Thompson
7 November 2014, 22:12
Sounds like you've got an impressive build in the works!

From what I've seen CMT should be able to engrave either image no problem.
Thanks! Glad you like it so far! I'm sure they wont have a problem - I was moreso worried about here - copyright/trademark/permission-wise.

WHSmithIV
7 November 2014, 22:19
Quick note about the CMT billet lower. From looking on their site, it looks like they give the option to do a custom engraving. So I figured what better of a way to commemorate a build, than by doing an engraving. So ... I'm not sure if this is possible, but I was thinking about doing something like either a Stickman logo (since this is his giveaway) or a WEVO/logo (like at the top of the webpage: Weapon [logo] Evolution). So if a mod (I guess someone like UW or Stick) could chime in on this, I'd greatly appreciate this!

I have a feeling that if you ask Stickman and UWone nicely that they'd be happy to have that engraved or laser etched on the lower. Provided (of course) that you post the pictures of it as it comes together [:)]

UWone77
8 November 2014, 08:28
If you ask CMT, I'm sure they'll do the WEVO logo. They did our PMags on the group buy, so it should be easy enough. I looked around, but I don't have an extra WEVO engraved PMag for you Thompson. Sorry. Maybe down the road there will be another opportunity to purchase one.

Thompson
9 November 2014, 08:42
If you ask CMT, I'm sure they'll do the WEVO logo. They did our PMags on the group buy, so it should be easy enough. I looked around, but I don't have an extra WEVO engraved PMag for you Thompson. Sorry. Maybe down the road there will be another opportunity to purchase one.
Oh yeah - forgot that it was CMT that did the PMAGs for you guys! And thanks for letting me do this UW - it means a lot! No worries about the PMAG - I guess I better hope I don't miss that thread like I did last time ;) ... in the mean time between now and (potentially) then guess I'll have to have a chat with BC.

Does anyone have any idea if that would work though (practically)? Putting a suppressor inside of a handguard? I've seen it done with brakes/comps, but those aren't anything like suppressors.

Ride4frnt
9 November 2014, 09:05
IMO, not a great idea to weld a suppressor to the barrel. And what's the point of trying to keep it over 16" if you're already in NFA territory with the suppressor. Just build it 16" or build it as a SBR.

Thompson
9 November 2014, 10:07
IMO, not a great idea to weld a suppressor to the barrel. And what's the point of trying to keep it over 16" if you're already in NFA territory with the suppressor. Just build it 16" or build it as a SBR.
One less tax stamp. One less thing that has to be registered. And one less headache should 41p get anywhere.

Are there any problems that arise with welding a suppressor to a barrel?

UWone77
9 November 2014, 10:26
One less tax stamp. One less thing that has to be registered. And one less headache should 41p get anywhere.

Are there any problems that arise with welding a suppressor to a barrel?

Have you ever shot suppressed?

AHhhh, to be young and chalk full of ridiculous ideas for guns [:D] We've all been there. I am also guilty of this.

I can think of many reasons why this is a bad idea.

What happens when you get a baffle strike?

Cleaning the barrel will be a pain.

Limits use of that can to just 1 gun.

If you insist, I'd either go the Daniel Defense ISR route, or look at an AAC Ranger 3.

Thompson
9 November 2014, 10:49
Have you ever shot suppressed?

AHhhh, to be young and chalk full of ridiculous ideas for guns [:D] We've all been there. I am also guilty of this.

I can think of many reasons why this is a bad idea.

What happens when you get a baffle strike?

Cleaning the barrel will be a pain.

Limits use of that can to just 1 gun.
I have not - yet. Going to see if I can over winter break though. Local shop/range has rental cans.

Like I said - this was only an idea haha. Wasn't sure how practical it was.

... I guess that would suck alot if I got a baffle strike.

... maybe I'll just do a 300 BLK build then and add the can separately. But we'll see; just throwing ideas around.

Ride4frnt
9 November 2014, 10:56
I have not - yet. Going to see if I can over winter break though. Local shop/range has rental cans.

Like I said - this was only an idea haha. Wasn't sure how practical it was.

... I guess that would suck alot if I got a baffle strike.

... maybe I'll just do a 300 BLK build then and add the can separately. But we'll see; just throwing ideas around.

Also, are you opposed to doing a pistol build? With the sig brace it really opens up a new realm for the platform, and you don't have to pay for the tax stamp. A .300 blk shorty with a can sounds like a good idea to me.

UWone77
9 November 2014, 10:58
I'd shoot a suppressor and inhale a death cloud of lead first, before you decide that's what you really want.

What's your timeline on putting this all together?

Thompson
9 November 2014, 11:00
Also, are you opposed to doing a pistol build? With the sig brace it really opens up a new realm for the platform, and you don't have to pay for the tax stamp. A .300 blk shorty with a can sounds like a good idea to me.
That was actually the second idea that I had, going the pistol route. The one thing that kind of worries me though - is all that gas running on a shorty -- on top of a suppressor. Will that decrease peformance/increase wear over time? ... guessing the chamber area will be really, really dirty as well.

In terms of the Sig Brace - not sure how I feel about it; need to shoot it before I make any judgement calls. Has anyone seen Thordsen Custom's version? Their's looks a lot more (and probably feels) like a traditional AR stock. I've seen Chris Tran run around with one in some of his photos.

Thompson
9 November 2014, 11:01
What's your timeline on putting this all together?
Not really in any rush. Financially speaking - probably over the course of a couple years.

I may be young, but my knees (runner) would like to tell you otherwise [:D]

MoxyDave
9 November 2014, 12:39
Sounds like a fun project. I know a guy who did something like this about a year ago [:)]

300blk is a great choice. Aside from ammo availability and price, it is a fantastic round made for suppression from the get-go.

I spent yesterday blowing up Tannerite-filled pumpkins on my friend's ranch. I used the Stickman rifle exclusively, suppressed the whole time. Even just a few shots with a can will get your eyes and nose burning from the gas blowback. It sounds like sissy shit, but it really does happen. It's not something you can just man-up and deal with; your eyes will close involuntarily.

Despite that, it's a ton of fun and really neat. I still really enjoy shooting suppressed. But especially for something like 300blk, where it's designed to be versatile for suppression, I would not permanently mount the suppressor.

I tried a friend's CMC flat trigger the other day. I can't speak to long-term durability but it felt just as good as several Geissele triggers I've used. For the money, that might be a better option.

As far as putting the suppressor inside the handguard, it might be problematic to remove. Also suppressors get extremely hot quickly so it might not be wise to have one under the handguard.

Have fun and take your time!

Thompson
9 November 2014, 13:00
Sounds like a fun project. I know a guy who did something like this about a year ago [:)]

300blk is a great choice. Aside from ammo availability and price, it is a fantastic round made for suppression from the get-go.
Gee, I wonder who that could be? haha.

I hope that (in a few years) when I get the build finished, that the price/availability will be better.

How'd you like the CMC trigger? How does the two compare? Any complaints?

Yeah - I figured that the heat from the can wouldn't work out too well.

Sounds like you had a freedom-filled Saturday; sounded like fun!

MoxyDave
10 November 2014, 13:45
I only used the CMC briefly. I would definitely own one. Worked just as well as my uber-expensive triggers.

Blowing up pumpkins is super fun. They just vaporize into nothing!

Thompson
11 November 2014, 20:19
Whelp in that case - I'll have to see if my local shop has any rental guns with the CMC trigger to play around with.

I'm guessing reset was nice and crips. No takeup/slack?

... an FDE trigger would go nice with the two-tone theme ...