PDA

View Full Version : Precision Rebuild/Build

MonkeyBomb
7 November 2014, 21:32
I have an Old Colt 20 inch HBAR MATCH Target that is/was an old A2 style. I snagged the lower to build a work gun and slapped it on a Spikes lower with a NB LPK.

I used to love shooting the rifle when my eyes were better it would hold a nice cloverleaf at 100 yards.

I want to rebuild it to use for some prairie dog medicine.

I am thinking about swapping out the upper for a BCM flatop demo model and removing the front sight/gas block and putting a low profile gas block and putting a 15 inch rail on it.

Its a 20 " heavy barrel and it has plenty of life in it. 94 or 95 model and oddly it has the M-4 feed ramps.

Basically the only parts I would be keeping are the barrel, nut and the gas tube.

What do you think. Worth it or not? Do they make an extended gas block to cover the pins on a Heavy barrel or should I even worry about it with a 15 " rail?

The top one is the one I plan on changing out. The bottom one is the lower I swapped so I had a Colt stamp to carry it at work.

Disregard the punisher Skull I got a heck of a deal on several during one of the many scares.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa315/Stemshot/Oldnewswap_zpsc9b87fb9.jpg

FortTom
7 November 2014, 23:17
Monkey, of course that's going to have to be a personal choice on your part but if all you're going to keep for the upper is the barrel, nut and gas tube, if it were me, I'd just build a separate gun for prairie dogs, or just build an upper and use it on one of your existing lowers. If you're going to be doing a lot of p-dog shooting the heavy colt barrel would do fine, but as much ammo as you're bound to be shooting it is going to heat that barrel very fast.
I know I could get a bolt action heavy varmint barrel super hot real quick, shooting them, much less a semi-auto. So, if you're going to use a semi-auto for a p-dog gun, have you considered a fluted stainless barrel? It'll cool much quicker if you use the right hand guard that allows for really good ventilation. You'll be needing to buy that rail anyway, and the cost of a new barrel isn't too bad, and the cost of a nut and gas tube is really negligible anyway.

Maybe leave the Colt intact for your grand children or something? Just a thought.

FT

DutyUse
8 November 2014, 00:08
I'm with Tom. I would build a separate upper and leave the factory Colt like it is.

Ordnance
9 November 2014, 11:54
So, if you're going to use a semi-auto for a p-dog gun, have you considered a fluted stainless barrel? It'll cool much quicker if you use the right hand guard that allows for really good ventilation.

That is somewhat of a myth that has been somewhat disproven. They've heated up barrels side by side, fluted and non, and watched them with IR temp guns. In the end the rate of cooling so nominal it was hard to justify it other than for the original purpose which is weight reduction while keeping the rigidity of a heavier profile barrel.

MonkeyBomb
1 February 2015, 09:41
I decided to go ahead and build an upper. I did disassemble this upper for the barrel. I have a box of parts in case i feel like putting it back together. In its current configuration I no longer use it. Its not so much a rebuild as scavenging a barrel.

After taking it apart I realize how much I used to use this thing. It nearly took an act of god to get the gas tube off the GB/Front sight.

BCM upper, Damage Industries Low-pro gasblock, Parallax Tactical 15 inch rail.

I'm still waiting on the rail due to the weather its running behind on shipping. Hopefully this Monday.

UWone77
2 February 2015, 01:11
I decided to go ahead and build an upper. I did disassemble this upper for the barrel. I have a box of parts in case i feel like putting it back together. In its current configuration I no longer use it. Its not so much a rebuild as scavenging a barrel.

After taking it apart I realize how much I used to use this thing. It nearly took an act of god to get the gas tube off the GB/Front sight.

BCM upper, Damage Industries Low-pro gasblock, Parallax Tactical 15 inch rail.

I'm still waiting on the rail due to the weather its running behind on shipping. Hopefully this Monday.

I think you made the right choice.

Building another entire upper is always a nice idea, but then again, not everyone can afford to have an upper sitting around collecting dust that you don't shoot. Sounds like you really wanted to use that existing barrel anyway.

And yes, unless you like the looks of a fluted barrel, it's pretty much a waste of money.

MonkeyBomb
2 February 2015, 01:24
If it works out like I hope it will this build should get some use. I found a good deal on decent glass. I should be able to do double duty between Prairie dogs and maybe some competition. It will be well used again.

MonkeyBomb
3 February 2015, 11:47
Assembled.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa315/Stemshot/IMGP5278_zps6fbc314b.jpg

CK 187
3 February 2015, 12:37
Assembled.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa315/Stemshot/IMGP5278_zps6fbc314b.jpg

Looks great!

MonkeyBomb
5 February 2015, 14:15
I took it out to the ran today to test fire it and put some MagPul Mbus sights on it just to see what I could do. If I am going to waste ammo I may as well get something out of it.

It runs well and is pretty smooth. So far so good with the new rail.

I can't wait to get some optics on this thing and range it out a bit.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa315/Stemshot/BuiltUpper2_zpsfb07dc17.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa315/Stemshot/NewHotness_zpse2ca95b0.jpg

UWone77
5 February 2015, 14:33
Did you happen to use the Magpod on it?

MonkeyBomb
5 February 2015, 14:46
Yes I did. That was zeroed using the MagPod.

UWone77
6 February 2015, 14:30
Yes I did. That was zeroed using the MagPod.

That's good shooting with the MagPod.

I just into a conversation with someone about the magpod. To me it works a lot better and more consistently than a regular magazine would as a monopod. How much better I don't know, but I think it's a good alternative to carrying around a rest everywhere to zero a gun. Hope you found it useful.

MonkeyBomb
6 February 2015, 14:45
That was pure luck. It was cheap ammo and I was still fresh. It does help make a nice tripod with my elbows and was steadier than I would have thought.