PDA

View Full Version : Machining melonite/nitride-coated barrels - who?

Hmac
8 November 2014, 06:57
I'm building a rifle and plan on using a 16 inch VooDoo Innovations melonite-coated barrel. I haven't fully decided between their ultra-light or Govt profile barrels, but my understanding is that they aren't dimpled and they don't offer a preinstalled low-profile gas block on either. My goal is to get the gas block pinned, but it doesn't appear that ADCO or Rainier will dimple and pin a gas block on a melonite-coated barrel. Questions via their websites yield no replies (yet). AR15barrels.com likewise.

anybody know where I could send a melonite-coated barrel for gas block pinning? (there's nobody local I'd trust to do it)
any thoughts or experiences on pinning a low-profile gas block on a .625 inch boss? I've seen lots of lore - everything from "not thick enough" to "disturbs barrel harmonics".

I'm aware of the minor controversy surrounding pinning a gas block with some people viewing it as unnecessary, but it's my preference.

TIA

UWone77
8 November 2014, 07:09
I get all my gas blocks pinned/dimpled. Just a personal preference.

Last I checked, Rainier was trying out some new drill bits to dimple and pin melonite coated barrels. I don't think they'll offer it as a service until they can with 100% confidence get the job done.

Hmac
8 November 2014, 07:40
I appreciate the update. I realize it will probably be harder on tools and fully expect it will cost more on a nitrided barrel.

UWone77
8 November 2014, 07:50
However, thanks for reminding me through this thread. They asked if I wanted to be a guinea pig for their dimple/pin test, so I'll bring in an Aero barrel. We'll see how it goes.

JoshAston
8 November 2014, 08:12
You can do it yourself with a hand drill and the jigs from BRD Engineering. Rainier sells some of his jigs, I've bought from them and direct from him as well.

Hmac
8 November 2014, 10:14
You can do it yourself with a hand drill and the jigs from BRD Engineering. Rainier sells some of his jigs, I've bought from them and direct from him as well.

Looks like about $100 for both dimpling and pinning jigs, plus the cost of a carbide drill bit. Doesn't quite meet the cost-efficiency test for me, but thanks for replying. I can see how it would be a good investment for some builders.

JoshAston
8 November 2014, 10:38
Looks like about $100 for both dimpling and pinning jigs, plus the cost of a carbide drill bit. Doesn't quite meet the cost-efficiency test for me, but thanks for replying. I can see how it would be a good investment for some builders.

I could loan you mine for the cost of shipping.

UWone77
8 November 2014, 10:43
On a side note, the only .625 LW barrels I have are pinned with a FSB. RA doesn't have a jig for LW barrels, so they can't pin them.

Ride4frnt
8 November 2014, 10:49
I could loan you mine for the cost of shipping.

Where are you located in MD? I'm in MD also, and have a few barrels need pinned.

JoshAston
8 November 2014, 13:02
Where are you located in MD? I'm in MD also, and have a few barrels need pinned.

Severna Park

Ride4frnt
8 November 2014, 13:05
Ahhh, bit of a far drive. I may have to take you up on the lending them out sometime though. Got a dimpling jig but not a pinning jig.

Hmac
8 November 2014, 14:16
I appreciate the offer and the advice. As it turns out, I have a buddy (and my instructor) who sells the VooDoo barrels (he's afifiliated with Huldra) and has the jigs and tools necessary to pin the 87 Industries gas block for me.

UWone77
8 November 2014, 15:12
I appreciate the offer and the advice. As it turns out, I have a buddy (and my instructor) who sells the VooDoo barrels (he's afifiliated with Huldra) and has the jigs and tools necessary to pin the 87 Industries gas block for me.

Take a few pics if you can after you get done installing the 87 Industries Gas Block. They make good stuff.

Hmac
8 November 2014, 15:27
Take a few pics if you can after you get done installing the 87 Industries Gas Block. They make good stuff.

I will. Gonna put it on that Rainier upper receiver that I won in the 50K giveaway. That's a nice unit. I'm gonna shoot the rifle at the Vickers carbine course we have coming up next year. I'm gonna put an Eotech on it ;)

JGifford
8 November 2014, 16:16
If for whatever reason your other deal doesn't work out,
Wes at MSTN. Offer to pay for whatever gets dicked up from trying to cut QPQ. He's a reasonable guy and if you're trying to do the impossible/inadvisable, he will let you know.

Iraqgunz
9 November 2014, 02:42
Take a look at SIONICS barrels. They are dimpled for low pro gas block use and they are priced very competitively. Not too mention they also have a correct gas port size.

mustangfreek
9 November 2014, 03:10
Hummm...i have a pinned mega 556 barrel...

Hmac
9 November 2014, 06:54
If for whatever reason your other deal doesn't work out,
Wes at MSTN. Offer to pay for whatever gets dicked up from trying to cut QPQ. He's a reasonable guy and if you're trying to do the impossible/inadvisable, he will let you know.

Thanks, should be good to go. The VooDoo barrel is on the way and the pinning is all lined up.