PDA

View Full Version : Noveske N4 middy basic and VFG and light

P7rancher
23 October 2008, 19:36
I have been away from this forum for a while. I have spent the evening going through all of the threads since May. Lots of good information and the tone of the responses are supportive to those of us that are new to this arena/disease. Thank you to the members!

My question:
I have decided on the N4 Recce Basic but want to be able to have a VFG and a light. What are my options? I do not want (can't afford) the rail options and all I want is the VFG and a good light. I live out in the country miles from my nearest neighbor and a light is very important to my rifle system.

Also, any update on the UBR stock from Magpul as I would like to get Noveske to upgrade to this stock? Otherwise it will be the VLTOR EMOD.

Thanks in advance for your help!
P7rancher[:)]

TehLlama
24 October 2008, 07:49
I've got both the UBR and the EMOD - if you shoot NTCH only, then the uBR is worth the wait. Otherwise, I'm extremely happy with the EMOD, it fits securely, good cheek weld, and that bit of extra length keeps my wife's cheek on the stock instead of partially on the buffer tube.
If you have shorter arms, or a very tight budget, the EMOD will be a better choice.

UBR's ridiculously easy installation is also very nice. I shoot strictly NTCH, and mostly with ACOGs, so I'm likely going to run them exclusively.

VFG - I'd try a KAC. Used, they're cheap enough, but very solid.
For a mounted light, it's tough to be a Surefire G2 or 6P on a VTAC mount for cheap/usable. TNVC has great drop-in Q5 LED kits for both models.
If you want thumb-momentary, then I'd go with a 6P mounted in a DanielDefense Offset light mount.

As for addon rail options, not sure what you're looking at as far as rail systems...

If you're looking for a basic, non-VFG setup, it's possible to mount a light off the front sight, using an MI Light rail, but less than ideal for most. My wife's lightweight is set up this way, using a VLTOR light mount, but my VFG accustomed self isn't as proficient with this.

If you want an affordable railed handguard for all this, then the TROY MRF-DI is the ticket - really solid, at at $150 new it's extremely impressive, and I'm very happy using my VCAS QD sling directly mounted to it, with EMOD or UBR in back.

P7rancher
24 October 2008, 18:52
Been doing some more research. Will this product work to attach a piece of rail for a vertical forearm grip with the option of using a Surefire combination grip/light like the M900 (sp)? I am not sure how the heat shields on the Noveske basic or any basic heat shield model are designed and whether this product will work.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Midwest-Industries-MCTAR-03-p/mctar-03.htm

Any other options besides this item.

Thanks TehLlama for your input. Not sure I understood all your acronyms but I will do some more searches to see what I can find.

P7

Stickman
25 October 2008, 09:44
My question:
I have decided on the N4 Recce Basic but want to be able to have a VFG and a light. What are my options? I do not want (can't afford) the rail options and all I want is the VFG and a good light. I live out in the country miles from my nearest neighbor and a light is very important to my rifle system.

Also, any update on the UBR stock from Magpul as I would like to get Noveske to upgrade to this stock? Otherwise it will be the VLTOR EMOD.

The N4 Recce is a great carbine, and its an outstanding choice. There are pieces you can drop onto a standard handguard which allow railed access for mounting items, there are also lights that will mount off the FSB (Front Sight Base).

Do you need a VFG? If not, don't bother with one. There is nothing wrong with running a light using a push button tail cap, and sliding your hand out to manipulate the button. I've run a duty carbine in that manner, and had no problems.

Magpul has given a sneak preview of their upcoming handguards, and they are built to have rails dropped on them. If you aren't in a hurry, they may be an option for you as well.

Regarding the UBR, its out, and works nicely.