PDA

View Full Version : Project Papa Bear

Ride4frnt
10 November 2014, 19:48
As some of you are aware, I recently won one of the Parallax Tactical MLOK rails from the stickman giveaway. As soon as I got notification of my winning that, I knew what needed to be done.

For 20+ years my father has been supporting all of my costly habits, whether it be fishing, shooting, skiing, motocross, among other less expensive things. He never batted a lash. A man of few worries, he only has one AR, and is happy as a pig in poop just to have a basic, milspec gun that goes bang.

For the past few years he's been talking about buying a scope for his gun, but he just never shoots enough to warrant the cost, so last year my brother and I bought him a Nikon 3-9x scope and mount for Xmas, and he's was thrilled, constantly reminding me "it only took 6 shots to zero" (funny story about him zeroing a scope, but that's for another day)

Fast forward to now. His gun is a Bushmaster HBAR that was bought cash and carry many many years ago. It's scratched up, and used, but he's always been happy just to have a black gun that goes bang. When I got notification of winning the Parallax Tactical rail, I knew right where it was going, and I wasn't thinking about myself.

So I got to thinking, this gun needs a full makeover, and I'm gonna do it. So far I've got him the rail, a low pro gas block and new gas tube, a new CTR stock and trigger guard in FDE. Hopefully by Christmas I'll be able to procure a grip for him (MOE or MIAD) and a MLOK rail section and AFG to put on the front.

It's a work in progress, but it's well worth it for a person who absolutely deserves it!

Here are some rough phone pics to hold everyone over, I'll take good pics this weekend when I assemble what I've got so far.

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/Firearms/6EE70A78-5B08-4F4C-AC2F-D4C4649D1801_zps8ra53gxq.jpg

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/Firearms/00CB7794-D7BA-4792-A5E8-478678A593B0_zpsbewscwf0.jpg

Shameless plug for Nick Irving and his Reaper33 shirt. Cannot wait for that book in January.

toolboxluis00200
10 November 2014, 19:49
nice keep it up

Thompson
10 November 2014, 20:40
I think I already said this, but, sweet build! Does he have any idea that this is in the works? Or will it be a complete surprise?

Did you pick a comp/brake to put on there yet?

Keep us posted!

Ride4frnt
10 November 2014, 21:01
I think I already said this, but, sweet build! Does he have any idea that this is in the works? Or will it be a complete surprise?

Did you pick a comp/brake to put on there yet?

Keep us posted!

He has no idea whatsoever, and he won't til Christmas. Ski season is about to be upon us, and he's a manager at the local resort, so his work is cut out for him til march. He won't even know the gun is missing when I take it apart and rebuild it.

As for the muzzle device, no. The barrel isn't threaded, and with all the other stuff I have to buy for Christmas, it's just not in the cards for me to thread it, or buy a new barrel just yet. Maybe Father's Day or something.

DutyUse
10 November 2014, 21:57
Way cool project to use your winnings on. Looking forward to seeing the final result

mustangfreek
15 November 2014, 17:25
Good on you for helping out the old man ride...

Ride4frnt
24 November 2014, 08:36
Well, I finally assembled the upper... And I made a boo boo on the lower. Should've checked it, but I didn't. Bought a MIL spec stock, it needs a commercial one. So now I need to exchange this stock, buy a milspec extension, or modify this stock.

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/Firearms/IMG_2515_zps7f4561cd.jpg

Pyzik
24 November 2014, 08:43
Well, I finally assembled the upper... And I made a boo boo on the lower. Should've checked it, but I didn't. Bought a MIL spec stock, it needs a commercial one. So now I need to exchange this stock, buy a milspec extension, or modify this stock.

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/Firearms/IMG_2515_zps7f4561cd.jpg

That looks just fine with out a muzzle device. Looking forward to following this one.

UWone77
24 November 2014, 08:54
I think I have a black CTR commercial, but then again, you wanted FDE...

Computalotapus
24 November 2014, 09:15

Haha.

Kyle the build looks good man. Your dad is gonna like it a lot

Ride4frnt
24 November 2014, 09:32

Well...I could make it all black. I have an extra black trigger guard. Im not sure if primary arms will do an exchange if I have to. I'll have to call them.

Thompson
24 November 2014, 11:43
Wow, looks great! Your dad's gonna love it!

Ride4frnt
24 November 2014, 12:16
Thanks guys. I just need to figure out what I'm gonna do with the stock now.

DutyUse
24 November 2014, 15:36
Looks really good, your dad is gonna be psyched!