PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here do pig irradication?

ddearmon2010
14 November 2014, 02:47
A marine buddy of mine is getting ahold of one of his buddies that does this and it pays damn good. He invited us up no charge to go, he gets to keep anything he kills after already getting paid and usually processes and sells all the extra he doesn't need. when we go he is supplying the guns, silencers and ammo all we have to cover is gas to get there (Georgia) and lodging for how long we are staying and we keep what we kill. If you have a nuance animal in your area, you may want to check into doing the same if it pays well enough.

GOST
14 November 2014, 05:48
I would like get some bacon, but I currently don't have a hog issue here on the farm. We do have a lot of deer but I don't eat venison.

GaSwamper
14 November 2014, 05:53
What area of GA?

alamo5000
14 November 2014, 06:00
Our county had a bounty here in Texas last year. Biggest hog officially weighed in gets an award and like a $1000 prize.

In Texas there is no 'hunting season' for them. 24/7 day or night summer or winter you can kill them. Suppressors, night vision, whatever you got it's all legal. I even saw one video of a guy taking out a herd of them with a mini-gun. They also hunt them suckers from the air using helicopters. All 100% legal. Oh and no limit and no tags or license needed.

The real trick here is finding a place big enough to fly over for aerial hunting or hunting period. Check out youtube.... there are tons of videos of all of the above.

Unless you own a big enough plot of property, most people pay the land owner to have the space (like a deer lease) but not the other way around... or the land owners let you come on for free...and you can bag as many as you want.

The only people I know of in Texas making money off of pig hunting is the aerial hunters and they generally get rich(er) people from where ever, or whoever can afford a long helicopter flight... and they put them up and fly out to make bacon. But just your regular on the ground bacon hunting...people do it all the time. The only rule really is we have a certain distance from any road that you have to shoot from, and you have to shoot AWAY from any road, not across it. Any time, any season, any where... it's a felony if you break that law.

A lot of people trap them too. For a 100 bucks you can make a really good pig trap and catch em by the dozens.

As for me, a friend of mine (a ranch manager at the time) invited me over and we did a pig hunt. We got about 25 of them in a day. With one pistol each. That's just the problem here... you have so many people wanting to shoot em, they volunteer to do it for free. If you get the invite, go!

alamo5000
14 November 2014, 06:27
We do have a lot of deer but I don't eat venison.

I had to read that twice and do a double take just to make sure I read that correctly.

GOST
14 November 2014, 06:42
Venison is leaner than I like.

alamo5000
14 November 2014, 06:46

Oh it all depends on how you cook it.

You can always wrap it in bacon and cook it like a filet mignon (backstrap), or slice the backstrap up and batter and fry it (mmm)....there are several ways to make it. (side note: I LOVE cooking, if you gotta eat might as well do it right).

You can also make all kinds of sausages (mmm!!!!) and now I'm starting to sound like that guy from Forest Gump. The shrimp boat captain.

GOST
14 November 2014, 07:13
So far the only venison I've had that I liked was jerky, but I'm definitely no chef.

toolboxluis00200
14 November 2014, 07:19
A marine buddy of mine is getting ahold of one of his buddies that does this and it pays damn good. He invited us up no charge to go, he gets to keep anything he kills after already getting paid and usually processes and sells all the extra he doesn't need. when we go he is supplying the guns, silencers and ammo all we have to cover is gas to get there (Georgia) and lodging for how long we are staying and we keep what we kill. If you have a nuance animal in your area, you may want to check into doing the same if it pays well enough.

is it was not for my injury i be all up that MOFO

KW900A
14 November 2014, 07:25
I wish that were something we could do here. But no pigs. Just the fat ones that squeal we raise to butcher. I do get to pop the occasional coyote.

Side note... I love venison, I prep and cook it many different ways.

ddearmon2010
14 November 2014, 07:52
What area of GA?

I'm not sure think it's northern GA though.

ddearmon2010
14 November 2014, 07:53
So far the only venison I've had that I liked was jerky, but I'm definitely no chef.

where you live I'll trade a pig for deer... love venison

skijunkie55
14 November 2014, 08:02

What what?! You're crazy...

Best burgers of your life: pound of venison burger, pound of 80/20 ground beef. Mix with some lee perrins worchestershire sauce, a packet of onion soup mix, some diced onion and bacon chunks... hand made patties ftw.

DutyUse
14 November 2014, 08:57

It all depends on who's cooking it and what kind of recipe your using. I'll admit it can have a more gamey taste then say beef when served on its own. We make a lot of soups, chillies etc...

ddearmon2010
14 November 2014, 11:30
It all depends on who's cooking it and what kind of recipe your using. I'll admit it can have a more gamey taste then say beef when served on its own. We make a lot of soups, chillies etc...

wrapped in bacon and grilled

UWone77
14 November 2014, 13:50
You guys are making me hungry.

I'm not a big game eater, but I would love to shoot and eat some wild pigs.

Ride4frnt
14 November 2014, 13:53
We don't have any pigs in maryland (yet) but we've been known to do a good bit of dog eradication. I wanna get down south and do some pig and deer hunting. How about it Comp?

Computalotapus
14 November 2014, 13:55
Slow cook a pig in the ground overnight...
Sent from my Windows Phone 8.1

alamo5000
14 November 2014, 17:16
You guys are making me hungry.

I'm not a big game eater, but I would love to shoot and eat some wild pigs.

If you want to come to Texas I am sure the hunting part can be arranged.

UWone77
15 November 2014, 15:38
If you want to come to Texas I am sure the hunting part can be arranged.

If I made it to TX I think I'd pay the money to do an aerial shoot. That sounds like a first rate time.

alamo5000
15 November 2014, 16:06
If I made it to TX I think I'd pay the money to do an aerial shoot. That sounds like a first rate time.

Aerial shooting is ok, but it's just part of the experience. You get that whole Vietnam era machine gunner feel if that's what you want. Your marksmanship has to be pretty good to shoot a moving target from a moving platform....mostly you get the thrill of flying and shooting...

Going hunting for em is actually more of an experience if you ask me. I would like to go on a night hunt in teams. Stalk em, hunt em...and go for it....That's actually more fun than just going up in the air and missing 9 out of 10 shots...

But hey, it's an experience either way. I don't have night vision equipment but I am sure I could round something up if I look hard enough.

GaSwamper
15 November 2014, 16:44
Aerial shooting is ok, but it's just part of the experience. You get that whole Vietnam era machine gunner feel if that's what you want. Your marksmanship has to be pretty good to shoot a moving target from a moving platform....mostly you get the thrill of flying and shooting...

Going hunting for em is actually more of an experience if you ask me. I would like to go on a night hunt in teams. Stalk em, hunt em...and go for it....That's actually more fun than just going up in the air and missing 9 out of 10 shots...

But hey, it's an experience either way. I don't have night vision equipment but I am sure I could round something up if I look hard enough.

You, a buddy, a backpack with a car battery in it, spotlight, and a 6.8 full of 120 SST's. It makes a long night but a fun one. Helps if the buddy is fairly large and will lug the battery all night.

alamo5000
15 November 2014, 16:50
You, a buddy, a backpack with a car battery in it, spotlight, and a 6.8 full of 120 SST's. It makes a long night but a fun one. Helps if the buddy is fairly large and will lug the battery all night.

I was thinking more like me and two buddies, with all three of us with thermal optics and/or Gen3 Night vision...suppression would be nice too...and a 4 wheeler or mule to collect the goods.

alamo5000
15 November 2014, 16:53
Here's the haul from me and one friend... I used a 9mm CZ75 pistol and he used a walther something or another.... one afternoon of bang bang bang. One pistol each.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7576/15178773573_d9217b1e63_o.jpg

GaSwamper
15 November 2014, 17:11
I was thinking more like me and two buddies, with all three of us with thermal optics and/or Gen3 Night vision...suppression would be nice too...and a 4 wheeler or mule to collect the goods.

Hey, what can I say. Us poor country boys have to improvise. Mag Lite =Gen1 NV, 100 Lumen+ = Gen2 NV, car battery in a backpack with spotlight = Gen3 NV. The UTV's make too much noise and besides haven't a lot of guys here mentioned they needed a better exercise routine.

UWone77
15 November 2014, 17:14
So when you kill 20+ hogs at a time, what do you do with them?

GaSwamper
15 November 2014, 18:04

Take cool pics!

alamo5000
15 November 2014, 18:06

The owner of the ranch just wanted the pigs gone. They caused tens of thousands in damage if not more plus they were getting in the roads causing pretty bad wrecks.

But I had sausage for a year. Seriously. The other guy took his take and the rest was all given to the ranch hands...about 5 or 6 people split up what we could....

alamo5000
15 November 2014, 18:08
Hey, what can I say. Us poor country boys have to improvise. Mag Lite =Gen1 NV, 100 Lumen+ = Gen2 NV, car battery in a backpack with spotlight = Gen3 NV. The UTV's make too much noise and besides haven't a lot of guys here mentioned they needed a better exercise routine.

You still get plenty of exercise. Just park the mule and go hunting ...when you find something drag it to the nearest trail and go back and get the transportation.

six8
15 November 2014, 19:04
Take cool pics!

Lmao

UWone77
15 November 2014, 19:11
Take cool pics!

I'm a city boy, so killing something I'm not going to eat is a new concept.

Ride4frnt
15 November 2014, 19:18

I don't kill things I won't eat either, unless it's something that's not supposed to be here. My fish for example. Everything gets released, I can buy fish at the market. Except for snakeheads. They aren't supposed to be here, they get killed with no remorse.

Same goes for pigs and coyotes. No remorse for something that is overpopulated, ruining farmers crops, killing other game, etc. coyotes you can sell the furs, and pigs are good eating though. Coyotes get thrown in the woods. Other animals gotta eat.

UWone77
15 November 2014, 19:23
But hey, I'm not opposed to eating too much bacon... is there such a thing?

SwissyJim
15 November 2014, 19:33
man, I want to do one of those helicopter hog hunts so bad I can taste it. I'm within 2 years from retirement, and I'm thinking that will be my retirement gift to myself (that, and a bigassed fancy handmade humidor...)

alamo5000
15 November 2014, 19:48
This particular hunt...in that area pigs kept getting on the road among all the other damage they cause, a lady hit one and rolled her car and almost got killed because of it...

Last year our county even offered bounties for hogs... 30 or 40 grand in damage just on the one ranch...land rendered almost useless...and a human being almost died because of them... So we hunted them and we ate them too. Win win...except for the pigs.

alamo5000
15 November 2014, 19:50

This is what I do. If I kill it it gets eaten. Some exceptions but not many.

GaSwamper
15 November 2014, 20:51

I've never killed more than 3 or 4 at a time, that's all I can handle with help in one night depending on size, or well all that I feel comfortable handling. The pigs in a lot of GA are such a problem now some do leave them in the woods though since they are considered a pest. What is really concerning is when farmers get a kill permit for deer that are causing crop damage, many will tell you when you shoot for them kill as many as you can and drag the carcass out of the field. I have caught a lot of flack from a farmer before for only killing 3 deer in a night since that's all I could clean in the summer heat.

ddearmon2010
16 November 2014, 04:38
I've never killed more than 3 or 4 at a time, that's all I can handle with help in one night depending on size, or well all that I feel comfortable handling. The pigs in a lot of GA are such a problem now some do leave them in the woods though since they are considered a pest. What is really concerning is when farmers get a kill permit for deer that are causing crop damage, many will tell you when you shoot for them kill as many as you can and drag the carcass out of the field. I have caught a lot of flack from a farmer before for only killing 3 deer in a night since that's all I could clean in the summer heat.

find a local butcher and see if you can make a deal for processing... some of them will process one or two if they get one for themselves

ddearmon2010
16 November 2014, 04:42

load them up and sell them $50 - $100 a piece. pays for fuel charges and more ammo

UWone77
19 November 2014, 23:18
load them up and sell them $50 - $100 a piece. pays for fuel charges and more ammo

So Hogs are only worth 50-100 a piece? I would have guessed they would be worth more for the meat. Then again, seems like there is a serious hog problem in the south. I will assist in anyway I can... starting with eating more bacon. [:D]

RobSWVA
20 November 2014, 20:03
To each their own, but I'd take deer (or any other wild game) over beef any day. I wish I had the opportunity to hunt pigs, I love me some wild hog, but there aren't any around here in SW VA. You would think w/ the population they have in NC they would have made their way over here by now, but not yet.

Ride4frnt
20 November 2014, 20:11
To each their own, but I'd take deer (or any other wild game) over beef any day. I wish I had the opportunity to hunt pigs, I love me some wild hog, but there aren't any around here in SW VA. You would think w/ the population they have in NC they would have made their way over here by now, but not yet.

That's surprising. They are in southern WV.

GaSwamper
20 November 2014, 20:30
So Hogs are only worth 50-100 a piece? I would have guessed they would be worth more for the meat. Then again, seems like there is a serious hog problem in the south. I will assist in anyway I can... starting with eating more bacon. [:D]

Wild game don't cost much, not FDA approved and all. Also if you buy instead of kill you're probly gonna have to pay a butcher as well driving up the cost. Only certain processors are " suppose " to handle wild hogs due to the disease they can possibly carry as well making it a pain sometimes.

RobSWVA
20 November 2014, 20:32
That's surprising. They are in southern WV.

I know, we are virtually surrounded by areas that have wild hogs, but none here. They are reported as not being established in our area by DGIF(dept. game and inland fisheries) and have never heard of anyone killing any. You would think w/ similar ecosystems to southern WV and western NC they would be here.

Ride4frnt
20 November 2014, 20:45
I know, we are virtually surrounded by areas that have wild hogs, but none here. They are reported as not being established in our area by DGIF(dept. game and inland fisheries) and have never heard of anyone killing any. You would think w/ similar ecosystems to southern WV and western NC they would be here.

Ha! DGIF reports a lot of things. Been dealing with them for years about the snakeheads.

RobSWVA
21 November 2014, 10:48
Yes I know, most times dgif is talkin out their collective asses. They also say no mountain kitties here either...tell that to my high school age self that got ran off a mountain by one while turkey hunting

Bikerdog
22 November 2014, 16:29
I would like get some bacon, but I currently don't have a hog issue here on the farm. We do have a lot of deer but I don't eat venison.

Venison is excellent. And much healthier for you than beef. But only if prepaid properly. So many times it is not prepared properly. The biggest thing I have seen when improperly prepared is over cooking. So many folks think you need to cook it to death for a second time. That's simple not the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RobSWVA
22 November 2014, 16:58
Venison is excellent. And much healthier for you than beef. But only if prepaid properly. So many times it is not prepared properly. The biggest thing I have seen when improperly prepared is over cooking. So many folks think you need to cook it to death for a second time. That's simple not the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very true; my most simple and easiest routine is the crock pot with a bit of water and whatever liquid you want to help flavor it plus some seasoning. Many ways to do it, but by far the easiest route for some tender eats, and very helpful when you get that tough meat you run into on occasion. Just did this recently with a small shoulder that I was given, and turned out pretty good. Thinking about next time trying a decent beer in place of water, see how it turns out; maybe as a stew type of dish w/ some potatoes and veg.

Former11B
22 November 2014, 19:06
I was under the impression the wild hogs that most people killed were not eaten due to parasites or something along those lines. I don't know much about hogs being a problem but I know in my area coyotes are a huge problem and are destroying our deer...over half our fawn mortality is from Yotes. They are shoot on sight no permit pests and you can get DNR permission to night hunt them

RobSWVA
22 November 2014, 19:25
I was under the impression the wild hogs that most people killed were not eaten due to parasites or something along those lines. I don't know much about hogs being a problem but I know in my area coyotes are a huge problem and are destroying our deer...over half our fawn mortality is from Yotes. They are shoot on sight no permit pests and you can get DNR permission to night hunt them

I had it plenty of times when I was living in FL and had no issues. I'm not one to be quoted regarding the risks or if it's needed, but I've been told to cook it thoroughly, obviously without killing it 2x, and it is a no issue. I'm sure there is some credence to them carrying more pests, bacteria, etc. when compared to other wild game due to their habits and environment as hogs, but treating any meat properly should negate that.