PDA

View Full Version : changed blog, need honest assessment

voodoo_man
14 November 2014, 03:55
http://vdmsr.blogspot.com

Changed them around, added some pages, etc. Please be critical in terms of readability, flow and general eye pleasure. Please post the browser you are using or mobile browsing.

Appreciate it the feedback - if this violates any rules delete the thread. Thanks

Computalotapus
14 November 2014, 04:42
I will take it for a run when I sit down at a computer today. Looks good on a mobile device tho I do have to scroll down a bit to get to content due to the amazon links at the top. I will hit it on the tablet and workstation when I get in the office.

Edit:

On the computer and tablet looks really good.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8.1

Gaspipeshooter
14 November 2014, 05:26
Looks good; the general feel to me syncs up with your photography style. I checked it out in both Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer. No functional issues at all. I also subscribed.

voodoo_man
14 November 2014, 05:27
Looks good; the general feel to me syncs up with your photography style. I checked it out in both Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer. No functional issues at all. I also subscribed.

Sweet, thanks.

GOST
14 November 2014, 05:30
Will give it a run once I'm off work.

skijunkie55
14 November 2014, 05:31
Looks great voodoo. flows very well and no problems on chrome :)

voodoo_man
14 November 2014, 12:03
Looks great voodoo. flows very well and no problems on chrome :)

Thanks!

rob_s
14 November 2014, 12:49
It's hard to tell your content from the reposts, because the text is tiny and grey.

GOST
14 November 2014, 13:25
Did a quick run on both Safari and mobile version and it worked pretty good. Will get to you once I've spent more time on it.

DutyUse
14 November 2014, 15:44
Firefox for Mac.

After poking around for a bit I think it looks really clean, it was easy to navigate and the information is presented in an easily digestible form. I think the header photo looks really good and the font/background colors work well. I love that you embedded the videos so they play right there on the blog. I read a few articles and they seemed concise and articulately written with not alot of "fluff".

I honestly liked it enough to subscribe which is rare because I don't normally like blogs. The only two suggestions I could come up with are really just nit-picky. At the top of the screen where your links are maybe reduce the font just enough so it's just one row, and if possible maybe add another 5 entries per page so your not clicking next page so often.

GOST
14 November 2014, 16:25
It's hard to tell your content from the reposts, because the text is tiny and grey.

On a smaller phone like a 5s rob is right.

FortTom
14 November 2014, 16:31
http://vdmsr.blogspot.com

Changed them around, added some pages, etc. Please be critical in terms of readability, flow and general eye pleasure. Please post the browser you are using or mobile browsing.

Appreciate it the feedback - if this violates any rules delete the thread. Thanks

I think it's great, at least as good as any other I've seen, definitely a cut above many of the others. The only thing that I would like to see changed is the font size of the text in most of the various headings. A little bigger would be better, I think, although that just might be me. It's easily navigated and laid out in a logical manner. I'd say you've got a winner there, Again the only issue for me is again the small font in the text. I'd like to see a larger, bolder font.

Viewed in IE only. Edit, now viewing in Fire Fox and the results are basically the same.[:)]

Great Job!

FT

voodoo_man
14 November 2014, 21:26
The template I found is difficult to work with and it comes down to trial and error as far as fonts, sizes and colors.

the top menu should be one line. If it is not ill have to mess with it a bit. Every browser I could test it on it was one line.

I will work on the text size, I think the title of the post is big enough and the post text is too small, like I said finding the coding and gettinf it right has been a challenege.

As for number of posts, I chose 5 because I used to do 10 and even everscroll and after 5 or 6 video posts (which I link to often, nra, action figure therapy, etc) it starts to lag. I hate lag and do not want to intentionally lag people out.

I do appreciate everyone checkin the blog out and giving me suggestions. It is as much for everyone who reads it as it is for me (I need to produce something or I feel like im not doing anything, idle hands and all that).

XACT_ABORT
14 November 2014, 22:55
I think it's a really clean presentation and the overall look, feel, and flow makes sense and works very well. I'm using Opera 25.0.1614.68 on Windows. I'll echo what you and FT are touching on as far as font. The best tab content proportionally is the AAR'S tab, on this tab the font size seems to work well and I can visually discern mouse over context when rolling over the links. In contrast the font is smaller for example under "Gear Reviews" and to my eyes I don't see the same mouse over behavior. I expect that it is happening, I just can't tell. The header block image is really cool, and I think you chose a color scheme that is really pleasing look at. The back to top auto hide button is a pretty cool control as is the jump out box for search text entry. It's visually fun to look at overall, I think you did a great job voodoo.

Thompson
15 November 2014, 07:02
I'll take a full sit down analysis later today. But just a quick spot check here and there everything looks great!! Clean, and simple. Love the overhaul you did!

My only recommendation resides around font/sizing. I think the font size could be stepped up 1 or 2; not sure what font you're using - but I know Veranda (from what I've read ... somewhere) is really easy on the eyes to read, which is what I've seem on some other forums.

voodoo_man
15 November 2014, 07:50
Since the template html isn't labeled (yay lazy coders) I had to go through every line to find the right font size code - it has been enlarged.

I think its good now, I fixed some of the link color as well - they turn blue once you visit them and highly noticeably (at least on chrome, FF and IE)

XACT_ABORT
15 November 2014, 09:43
Much more noticeable after the change(s), site looks great man.

GOST
15 November 2014, 10:19
Checked on both desktop and mobile versions of Safari and no problems were noticed. The change in font size like rob_s suggested made a big difference.