PDA

View Full Version : Work pants.

Chevtec
19 November 2014, 07:29
I'm looking into new pants for work. Spend 50% of my time in the office, other 50% at job sites (residential home mods). The time on the job site is often spent bending/kneeling/lifting etc. to get measurements for estimates or lending a helping hand to my crews. Jeans have always been more comfortable than the typical Dockers for this type of work, but I'd like something slightly more professional than my Levi's 512s.

So to my question: Anyone have experience with Rothco pants? Are they junk? ...because they are definitely better priced than 5.11 or Proper. Just looking for input in general for those that wear tactical/duty pants every day. Good idea, or should I be looking at Dickies/Carhart/Deluth Trading?

will0861
19 November 2014, 20:55
Old Navy clearance rack. I have a closet full of tactical pants from every company you listed. Do they do anything better than the $10 pants from Old Navy? Nope. Costco also sells some basic jean cut pants in various colors for $17. The only pants that I really like are the 5.11 Stryke pants, but they are fairly pricey. But they stretch just enough to be comfortable.

Thompson
19 November 2014, 21:15
Costco also sells some basic jean cut pants in various colors for $17.
I guess I must have not looked hard enough; cheapest I saw last time I looked (over the summer) was about $30 ...

UWone77
19 November 2014, 21:31
Vertx pants for me,

GOST
20 November 2014, 01:42
I use both Gramicci and Vertx. The Gramicci are more comfortable and have a lot better range of motion, they feel like your wearing jogging pants. The Vertx have more pockets and can be used with a belt; the Gramicci have a built in belt that's not strong enough for carry. If you get Vertx I order them a size larger, to me they seem to run slightly small.

http://www.gramicci.com/shop/mens-pants-c-63_119.html

http://www.wearvertx.com/Vertx-Tactical-Pants-Shorts.aspx

din
20 November 2014, 19:34
Vertx are awesome, the cargo pockets are low profile enough that for the most part they look like regular khakis. They also hold up pretty well, and if you shop around you can get pretty good deals on 'em. Their polo shirts are really comfortable, too.

UWone77
21 November 2014, 18:52
Vertx are awesome, the cargo pockets are low profile enough that for the most part they look like regular khakis. They also hold up pretty well, and if you shop around you can get pretty good deals on 'em. Their polo shirts are really comfortable, too.

I'll also vouch for their Polo's. For training days, I almost exclusively wear Vertx Polo shirts. They are affordable, don't fade as fast, and comfortable. I've pretty much gone completely away from 5.11 to Vertx for range or general LE wear.

reiswigt
21 November 2014, 23:28
Another vote for Vertx. 18 months of medic school and still going strong. I like both the original Phantom (98% cotton and 2% Lycra) as well as the Phantom LT ( much lighter, dry quicker , more wrinkle resistant, can't remember the blend). Several pairs of both and counting. At work, on the range or might even slip into church in them.

I just purchased one of their Polos and they are very comfy. They claim the collar does not deform. Time will tell, but happy so far.

CLBME
22 November 2014, 06:50
Hi Chevtec- I understand you're looking for tactical/duty pant advice, however, I noticed that you also referenced Carhartt, etc, and saw that you're in the construction industry. For most of my career in construction I wore Carhartts exclusively, and the vast majority of my colleagues do too. However, I was chewing them up pretty quickly. I switched to the Riggs Wear line two years ago. They are less dough, and have held up equally as well for my needs. YMMV. They make several styles. I wear the Ranger pants. The colors available make them stand out from jeans with an embroidered shirt I wear also from Riggs, and they have ample room for comfort. I buy the shirts from Gempler's for the embroidery and Denim Express for the pants.

Wondering Beard
22 November 2014, 14:24
I'll also vouch for their Polo's. For training days, I almost exclusively wear Vertx Polo shirts. They are affordable, don't fade as fast, and comfortable. I've pretty much gone completely away from 5.11 to Vertx for range or general LE wear.

+1 for the polos, when the weather gets hot, that's what I put on.

Sak007
23 November 2014, 00:20
Most my pants & short are TAD Gear and yes they aren't cheap yes there made in the US and yes I love them .

mustangfreek
23 November 2014, 02:46
Ive been wanting to try some of the vertx pants, but there is no one local to look at the stuff and their seems like too many different models..i hate ordering and shipping shit back and forth..

What version are a good casual/screw around pant from vertx or who else?

voodoo_man
23 November 2014, 07:12
http://vdmsr.blogspot.com/2013/09/vertx-mens-pant.html

Old gen vertx pants review - the newer ones are better fitting. They also have an "LT" version I am going to review, good for summer or office environments.

You can also go to REI and grab some of their brand pants.

Slippers
23 November 2014, 09:49
I have 2 pairs of the phantom lt. Not too bad in hot NC summers. I had to cut the elastic out of the waist band. Drove me nuts. My wife thinks they have a saggy bubble butt look to them, probably because I'm 6' and 165 lbs. They are very comfortable because they're roomy through the thighs and seat.

I recently started wearing some mountain hardware and Patagonia 5 pocket jeans style pants which are more like carharts, but much heavier. Good for winter.

gatordev
23 November 2014, 10:06

Old gen vertx pants review - the newer ones are better fitting. They also have an "LT" version I am going to review, good for summer or office environments.

You say they fit better but others in the past have said the new gen Vertx have more room for your trunkage, which doesn't help skinny guys like me. Out of curiosity, what's your build (generally)? I love my first gen Vertx pants, but if they've made more room in the ass department, then they'll probably not really fit me that well anymore.

ETA: or is that you in the pictures? If so, you're a little buffer, but of similar build, so maybe they will work.

voodoo_man
23 November 2014, 10:24
You say they fit better but others in the past have said the new gen Vertx have more room for your trunkage, which doesn't help skinny guys like me. Out of curiosity, what's your build (generally)? I love my first gen Vertx pants, but if they've made more room in the ass department, then they'll probably not really fit me that well anymore.

ETA: or is that you in the pictures? If so, you're a little buffer, but of similar build, so maybe they will work.

Is buffer another word for fat? Lol.

Im 6ft, 195.

The new gen works fine as well the older gen had a little more heft to thr material.

I have pairs of royal robin, kuhl and rei pants. All good stuff very happy with them. I prefer a gusseted crotch and the non hipster look.

UWone77
23 November 2014, 10:52

I think the code word for fat is "fluffy"

gatordev
23 November 2014, 12:18

Im 6ft, 195.

No, no, quite the contrary. I think it just means you get to the gym rather than relying on your metabolism like I do.

The new gen works fine as well the older gen had a little more heft to thr material.

I prefer a gusseted crotch and the non hipster look.

I'm not sure if the originals had a gusseted crotch or not, but I know it's just right for me and no hipster look. I have also noticed that I probably shouldn't buy anymore Vertx pants because I don't have full sleeves of ink. Apparently that's a requirement based on all of their promo stuff.

voodoo_man
23 November 2014, 13:08
Lol, they market to that end because lots of mil guys are inked up. No reason to stay away from them.

Try different pants if you already have them though.

gatordev
23 November 2014, 13:14
Lol, they market to that end because lots of mil guys are inked up. No reason to stay away from them.

Meh. A lot of SEALs are inked up. I think that's why they market it that way. Gotta cash in on the SOCOM train while you can.

mustangfreek
24 November 2014, 01:30

Cool thanx..

No damn REI's in my neck of the woods...never even been in one...lol

I like the look of the normal ones, need to order up a pair and try them out..

So i replied before i read this page, are the new or older version the bigger in the trunk versions?..lol....wtf.....180/6' tall here so, just trying to get an idea..

Do you notice if they size about the same as say jeans or whatever..or tend to run bigger/smaller?

Slippers
24 November 2014, 02:20
In my experience vertx runs small. I wear 32" jeans and other pants consistently, and had to get 34" vertx.

voodoo_man
24 November 2014, 04:15
I agree vertx does run slightly small, but I always buy one size larger to fit mt ccw...

mustangfreek
24 November 2014, 19:12
In my experience vertx runs small. I wear 32" jeans and other pants consistently, and had to get 34" vertx.

I agree vertx does run slightly small, but I always buy one size larger to fit mt ccw...

Thanks fellas

Now to watch for some deals..

mustangfreek
25 November 2014, 07:28
Okay , while were on the subject, got a email for a black friday sale at tacticalgear.com and they are having a sale on alot of stuff including these vertx pants . dont know what the going good deal rate is one these, but 1 set of the regular tactical pants was

Promo Code: SAVEBIG

10% off your order
15% Vertx tactical pants bonus.
Free shipping in Continental US.
Subtotal: $47.95
Discount : -$19.18
Total: $28.77

$29 SHIPPED Sounds like a good price, might have to try out a pair for that price

http://tacticalgear.com/vertx-tactical-pants-desert-tan~1

rob_s
27 November 2014, 05:23
I'm also in the construction business, entirely in a supervisory role, but in the office and in the field. I've become a huge fan of Mountain Khakis, in their new Broadway fit, to the point that I have now bought khakis in three of the weights they offer, plus their jeans, and am planning on buying shorts from them when it warms up again.

UWone77
27 November 2014, 23:10
For those looking for Vertx (http://www.vertx.com) items, looks like they are having a Black Friday Sale, 30% off

http://www.vertx.com

http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w654/richardkim0177/vert_zps1adf7fe7.png (http://s1334.photobucket.com/user/richardkim0177/media/vert_zps1adf7fe7.png.html)

Jmcrips
30 December 2014, 13:55
I wear charheart duck FRG pants, I'm a welder who is in the oil fields a lot. Last January I had a saw fly into my leg and the pants stopped it. My surgeon said if it was 3/8" deeper I'd have made the trip to the other side. My pants literally saved my life last year. Pm me for pics if you'd like.

DutyUse
30 December 2014, 14:10
Probably gonna get flamed or called a poser, but work requires us to wear TDU green 5.11 tac-lite pro pants... and I fell in love. All I wear now ( yes other then green lol )

voodoo_man
30 December 2014, 18:03
Probably gonna get flamed or called a poser, but work requires us to wear TDU green 5.11 tac-lite pro pants... and I fell in love. All I wear now ( yes other then green lol )

5.11?

Why not 10.22 ?

;)

Ride4frnt
30 December 2014, 18:18
I got some vertx for Christmas. All I have to say is if you order them, go a size down in length. I ordered my normal 34 length and they are a solid 3-4" too long. I'll have em hemmed

tact
30 December 2014, 19:34
Vertx is a world apart from that 5.11 stuff.

mustangfreek
31 December 2014, 01:13
I had to return my vertx/x-mas pants as the waist was too small and noticed the length a little longer then normal jean length...First impression though is a nice structured, thought out pant.

Aberration79
1 January 2015, 19:25
Duluth Trading. Exchange or refund for any reason. I got 3 pair of the cargos and a pair of denim. 2 cargo's are strictly for work. I see no point in buying anything else for now.

rob_s
2 January 2015, 02:24
I had to return my vertx/x-mas pants as the waist was too small and noticed the length a little longer then normal jean length...First impression though is a nice structured, thought out pant.

Vertx, for me, has not been consistent in their sizing, ever. I once ordered three pairs at the same time and had them all show up in different physical sizes despite the fact that the tags were all identical.

DutyUse
2 January 2015, 04:11
5.11?

Why not 10.22 ?

;)

Had some since 2011 still going strong. I'm sure one day I'll pick up some vertx to try out but for now these have been excellent. Only complaint is the metal "D" ring on a few pairs got ripped off when I attached the leash my 70lb pit was on and she ripped it off.

So definitely not perfect, but pretty damn good IMHO