PDA

View Full Version : Apex Flat Trigger

DutyUse
20 November 2014, 18:43
http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u404/FamilyFord23/pew%20pew/apexflat_zps83891536.jpg

From Apex's press release

Apex Tactical Specialties announced the release and immediate availability of the new Flat-Faced Forward Set Sear & Trigger Kit. Previewed at the 2014 NRA Show in Indianapolis, the design of the Flat-Faced Forward Set Trigger was extremely popular with customers who were looking to replicate the feel of a flat 1911 type trigger but in an M&P pistol.

I've always loved the ergonomics of the M&P pistols, but could never get warmed up to the factory trigger, hoping for good things from this APEX kit.

Any thoughts?

Ride4frnt
20 November 2014, 18:47
http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u404/FamilyFord23/pew%20pew/apexflat_zps83891536.jpg

From Apex's press release

Apex Tactical Specialties announced the release and immediate availability of the new Flat-Faced Forward Set Sear & Trigger Kit. Previewed at the 2014 NRA Show in Indianapolis, the design of the Flat-Faced Forward Set Trigger was extremely popular with customers who were looking to replicate the feel of a flat 1911 type trigger but in an M&P pistol.

I've always loved the ergonomics of the M&P pistols, but could never get warmed up to the factory trigger, hoping for good things from this APEX kit.

Any thoughts?

Price? I'll likely try it in mine. I love their glock style trigger.

ETA: 169 for the kit, 79 for just the trigger. Trigger will not work without the Apex forward set sear, which is different from the sear that comes in their other kits.

Dstrbdmedic167
20 November 2014, 18:49
I might give a MP9 a try again with this trigger. I really Kiel the flat CMC I have so this should go hand in foot. I still have a MP-22c but will have to add a 9 back to the collection.

DutyUse
20 November 2014, 19:04
Price? I'll likely try it in mine. I love their glock style trigger.

ETA: 169 for the kit, 79 for just the trigger. Trigger will not work without the Apex forward set sear, which is different from the sear that comes in their other kits.

Bummer that it doesn't work with APEX's past products. I wonder if they'd give a discount if you already had a sear kit from them and wanted a flat face kit

Ride4frnt
20 November 2014, 19:35
I'll stick to my glock trigger for now, but this will definitely be an option down the road. Eventually I'll get another m&p...

FortTom
20 November 2014, 19:47
I have 2 of the Apex FSS triggers in my .45 and .40. Really nice crisp, no creep trigger. I may be getting a M&P 9, and I wouldn't mind trying this trigger group if I get the 9mm.

GaSwamper
20 November 2014, 20:24
I have 2 of the Apex FSS triggers in my .45 and .40. Really nice crisp, no creep trigger. I may be getting a M&P 9, and I wouldn't mind trying this trigger group if I get the 9mm.

FT, I've always like the feel of an M&P but have never shot one. I think my wife is trying to get me an M&P .40 for Christmas, how do you like it with the Apex? I thought about the alu. curved trigger but haven't ruled out the flat.

Ride4frnt
20 November 2014, 20:28
FT, I've always like the feel of an M&P but have never shot one. I think my wife is trying to get me an M&P .40 for Christmas, how do you like it with the Apex? I thought about the alu. curved trigger but haven't ruled out the flat.

It's amazing. Day and night difference over stock. I have a glock trigger as well as the dcaek kit. Smooth pull, and what I liked the most about it was it took the notoriously gritty feel of the stock trigger away.

GaSwamper
20 November 2014, 20:34
It's amazing. Day and night difference over stock. I have a glock trigger as well as the dcaek kit. Smooth pull, and what I liked the most about it was it took the notoriously gritty feel of the stock trigger away.

Sorry I meant the whole weapon as well I was just fixing to edit. I've heard a lot of good things about the Apex. You're right about the stock trigger from what I can tell dry firing. First impression was felt like it was full of sand.

Ride4frnt
20 November 2014, 20:44
Sorry I meant the whole weapon as well I was just fixing to edit. I've heard a lot of good things about the Apex. You're right about the stock trigger from what I can tell dry firing. First impression was felt like it was full of sand.

Spot on. 300 rounds in my trigger felt like it had gravel in it. But I love this gun. Far more than I like any glock. To me the grip angle on the glock is too much. Never had issue one with my m&p9, and it has always functioned reliably, and it's accurate. A buddy of mine carries a full size .40 and loves it, so much so that he switched from carrying his glock 23. I'm just not a huge fan of the .40 round itself, I have 2 of them, but they rarely get fired. I think you'll be altogether pleased with the m&p though.

mustangfreek
21 November 2014, 00:14
My FS M&P 9mm has the Apex sear and aek trigger along with a few other little things,it is a blast to shoot, and very accurate for me..so much that the glock gets left at home most days anymore..

This newer version looks good possibly, wish it would interchange with what i got..oh well

WHSmithIV
21 November 2014, 00:35
I'd consider putting a new trigger in my 1911, I'd have to find one worth doing so for though. However, I'm more likely to take the trigger out, polish it all up real well and change the trigger springs.

GaSwamper
21 November 2014, 03:42
Spot on. 300 rounds in my trigger felt like it had gravel in it. But I love this gun. Far more than I like any glock. To me the grip angle on the glock is too much. Never had issue one with my m&p9, and it has always functioned reliably, and it's accurate. A buddy of mine carries a full size .40 and loves it, so much so that he switched from carrying his glock 23. I'm just not a huge fan of the .40 round itself, I have 2 of them, but they rarely get fired. I think you'll be altogether pleased with the m&p though.

I've never been much on the 40 either but I've come across a used one that is a pretty good deal and the wife offered to pick up most of the tab. Used would be fine since I may tinker with it a bit. I too don't like the Glock grip, maybe it's my small hands. I was also impressed when seeing what kind of aftermarket parts were available I saw Wilson combat actually makes a 9mm threaded barrel for the m&p. WC touts .5 groups at 25yds when locked in there test fixture.

GOST
21 November 2014, 03:52
Me want for sure, need to finish another project first.

CarbonScoring
21 November 2014, 04:51
I have a friend with an M&P9 that has the Apex trigger, and I have a Shield with a full Apex upgrade. I really like the feel of their other triggers. It'll be interesting to see how this one differs in feel. My only complaint about the Apex triggers is the thin trigger safety. It's never felt right to me. I wish it was more like the safety on a Zev Tech Fulcrum.

FortTom
21 November 2014, 08:09
I've seen what seems to be some confusion in this thread, with daeck triggers, 1911 triggers, and so on.

I think the thread was about APEX triggers. The FSS brings the trigger down to about 4lbs. plus or minus an ounce or two according to my Lyman Gauge. This trigger is super sweet, again 3.5 to 4lbs with a very short and fast reset. It's the closest thing to a tuned 1911 trigger as you can get from a DIY swap. But if you're using it as a duty trigger, for LEO work, it probably won't fly with your department. So, APEX offers a couple of alternatives, one being the DEACK, or something like that. It smooth's out your trigger, the reset is not nearly instant like the FSS but does give you a very nice DA trigger pull at around 6lbs or so. A friend of mine has the DEACK's in his .40 and 9mm because he's not comfortable with a 3.5 - 4lb. trigger, and they are a huge improvement over stock, if you don't feel comfortable with the FSS and it's light weight pull, no take up, and almost no over travel. (Think finely tuned 1911 trigger with a 3.5 lb. trigger).

If I get the 9mm I'll probably go with the flat trigger, just to try it out, if it comes in the FSS version.

You can call APEX and get more specifics, they are nice folks. Changing out the trigger group in an M&P is a pain in the butt, especially compared to a Glock. On my first one, I had a question, called them, and Randy Lee himself talked me through my problem ( a minor thing I overlooked).

So in summary, I guess it depends on what you're comfortable with. I carried tuned 1911's for years, with 3.5 to 4.0lbs. Never bothered me, but some folks don't like that type of trigger and will back off a notch to the DAECK (which is USPSA legal, I think). If you're doing LEO work, I'm quite sure your department is not going to let you carry one with the FSS trigger.

If this doesn't answer your questions PM me, and I'll be glad to help.

CarbonScoring
24 November 2014, 02:35
This video shows the trigger in pretty good detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzfR1E9Uh38

Sak007
24 November 2014, 02:42
This video shows the trigger in pretty good detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzfR1E9Uh38Is that their first video over a 144p resolution ?

Kopis
3 December 2014, 10:10
i shot my first M&P this weekend. Ive got a ton of glocks but that M&P shot very very well. I felt like it had less recoil than my glock... shouldve shot them side by side. i scored a 9mm Shield on black friday. pretty stoked about it.

DutyUse
3 December 2014, 16:20
Can't wait to find a full size 9mm m&p to buy so I can add an apex flat trigger and trijcon HD sights.

Anyone know where the best price is for a basic 9mm m&p? Used/new don't matter

FortTom
3 December 2014, 18:50
Can't wait to find a full size 9mm m&p to buy so I can add an apex flat trigger and trijcon HD sights.

Anyone know where the best price is for a basic 9mm m&p? Used/new don't matter

If you don't have a dealer close, you can order one from Bud's gun, over near Lexington. Price is $478 with the "make offer" option. If you can get them down a few bucks, then even with the transfer fee of your FFL you can get it cheaper than here, $499 plus tax.

FT

DutyUse
3 December 2014, 20:28
If you don't have a dealer close, you can order one from Bud's gun, over near Lexington. Price is $478 with the "make offer" option. If you can get them down a few bucks, then even with the transfer fee of your FFL you can get it cheaper than here, $499 plus tax.

FT

Good find Tom! I use to goto buds all the time but got tired of the 90mile drive when kygunco is so close.

Now to figure out which gun to sell to afford it lol

DutyUse
21 December 2014, 19:19
Well I just got back from Sommerset KY gun show and found this gem

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u404/FamilyFord23/pew%20pew/IMG_1256_zpsd8bb26ac.jpg

M&P 9 Fullsize Range/Carry Kit and (8)! factory magazines. Not to bad for trading a Gen 4 G26.

Went ahead and just put in an order for the Apex Flat Trigger Kit on Midway (170$ seems like a great deal..), so gasp, I just MIGHT have the first of these mods on the site!

Stipple it, sights and a real holster from Comp and this could replace one of my PPQ's as my "go-to" pistol. :D

GOST
21 December 2014, 20:31
Look forward to seeing her tricked out.

DutyUse
21 December 2014, 20:52
Look forward to seeing her tricked out.

Thanks Bro, its a sad sad day, but I went from having a 17,19,26 and a 42 Glock, and swore by them...I am embarrassed to say but now only the 42 remains 0.o

Side note: Normally I have BattleCock do my stippling, what kind of legal problems will I have sending the frame out of state?

GOST
21 December 2014, 21:03
I'd contact Battle Cock. I don't know if he has a FFL.

CK 187
22 December 2014, 05:03
http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u404/FamilyFord23/pew%20pew/IMG_1256_zpsd8bb26ac.jpg

Happiness is a row of factory mags (better when filled) [:D]

Farva
10 January 2015, 20:54
Seems interesting.

DutyUse
10 January 2015, 21:33
Seems interesting.

I've got the M&P broke down ready for the Apex Flat Faced trigger and sear but I'm sure y'all know… to many projects, not enough time [:D]

Both kids and wife being sick doesn't help tho. I swear soon I'll have photos to post..possibly with the most badass holster on the planet, thank you again Comp [adore]

GOST
10 January 2015, 21:36
Sick family is no excuse, I kid. Hope the family starts feeling better.

Farva
10 January 2015, 21:36
I've been thinking of getting an Apex trigger for my M&P. My only hesitation is 1. Not sure what my Department policy is on aftermarket triggers and 2. Not sure how big of an issue it would be if I had to use it while conceal carrying from a legal stand point. Lawyers and such...

GOST
10 January 2015, 21:39
I've been thinking of getting an Apex trigger for my M&P. My only hesitation is 1. Not sure what my Department policy is on aftermarket triggers and 2. Not sure how big of an issue it would be if I had to use it while conceal carrying from a legal stand point. Lawyers and such...
I'd check but I seriously doubt your department would allow altering the trigger on a duty piece.

Farva
10 January 2015, 21:48
I'd check but I seriously doubt your department would allow altering the trigger on a duty piece.

That's the way I'm leaning too. As I mentioned im also concerned from a conceal carry stand point. Say I put the trigger in my personal weapon and have to shoot someone how much heat will I catch for making the weapon "super Killy" with an ultra mega death maker trigger in it.

On a side note it seems ridiculous to me that a prosecutor could even take such a stance. Why did I make my weapon, a device designed to help save my life and those around me, better able to do its intended job? Why not would be my reaction.

GOST
10 January 2015, 21:54
That's the way I'm leaning too. As I mentioned im also concerned from a conceal carry stand point. Say I put the trigger in my personal weapon and have to shoot someone how much heat will I catch for making the weapon "super Killy" with an ultra mega death maker trigger in it.

On a side note it seems ridiculous to me that a prosecutor could even take such a stance. Why did I make my weapon, a device designed to help save my life and those around me, better able to do its intended job? Why not would be my reaction.
I work on a DOE reservation, there our protective force has issued Sig's that are double action only.

Farva
10 January 2015, 21:55
I work on a DOE reservation, there our protective force has issued Sig's that are double action only.

😖 what's that like? Lol

Farva
10 January 2015, 22:21
At least it's a solid firearm though

DutyUse
10 January 2015, 22:28
Sick family is no excuse, I kid. Hope the family starts feeling better.

2.5 year old daughter positive for strep throat
10 week old son positive for viral lung infection
wife positive for Flu…

Dad…Not sick ( yet ) *crosses fingers* So i'm having to pick up the slack… last night I think I got maybe an hour or two of sleep rocking the baby every 20 mins when he'd wake up so momma could get some rest.

mustangfreek
10 January 2015, 23:10
I've got the M&P broke down ready for the Apex Flat Faced trigger and sear but I'm sure y'all know… to many projects, not enough time [:D]

Both kids and wife being sick doesn't help tho. I swear soon I'll have photos to post..possibly with the most badass holster on the planet, thank you again Comp [adore]

I just might of seen this said " badass holster" ...and can neither nor deny its badassness...[:D]....but i want it..lol..

DutyUse
10 January 2015, 23:16
I just might of seen this said " badass holster" ...and can neither nor deny its badassness...[:D]....but i want it..lol..

It's a work of art right? He doesn't know it but when he txt'd me the pic I danced around like a little kid… oops did I say that out loud? ;)

Foreal though, When the Noveske is finally built and get's that same pattern by BDL, and the M&P is finished and in that holster… it's gonna make for one HELL of a nice photo, even if it is taken by me lol [BD]

Farva
11 January 2015, 10:51
I think I missed something. What holster are we talking about?

DutyUse
11 January 2015, 14:58
I think I missed something. What holster are we talking about?

You will see soon, it's sexy tho

Farva
11 January 2015, 15:09
You will see soon, it's sexy tho

Well I do like sexy!

DutyUse
11 January 2015, 16:28
Well I do like sexy!

Well tell Gost to send that picture of himself from last year's vacation. I think it'll be right up your alley ;)

Just kidding. Comp made me a one off Holster, and though it's technically mine, I take no credit for that piece of Artwork and will let him post it when he's ready.

Farva
11 January 2015, 16:29
Well tell Gost to send that picture of himself from last year's vacation. I think it'll be right up your alley ;)

Just kidding. Comp made me a one off Holster, and though it's technically mine, I take no credit for that piece of Artwork and will let him post it when he's ready.

Hahaha. Nice! I shall wait to observe.

DutyUse
14 January 2015, 07:00
Problems already..

DutyUse
14 January 2015, 07:44
http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u404/FamilyFord23/Mobile%20Uploads/th_trim.F1F451BC-6231-4B27-9DF2-AC61A4384226_zps0iqehquu.jpg (http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u404/FamilyFord23/Mobile%20Uploads/trim.F1F451BC-6231-4B27-9DF2-AC61A4384226_zps0iqehquu.mp4)

Gaspipeshooter
14 January 2015, 07:56
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMLv_JaoSkU

Kopis
14 January 2015, 08:20
Ive heard prosecutors bringing up lightened triggers etc and spinning it in a bad light. But it's internet rumors im sure. Who knows.

mustangfreek
14 January 2015, 14:42
How new/old is it?

Check the "candy cane loop"

Also when you pull the trigger (dryfire it and watch(. Does the back of the trigger hit the frame ANYWHERE before its fired or clicked?

I did the apex trigger and a few of their small parts and then gunsmithed the sear and more and only thing i had to do was open the opp just slightly..Easy..just open it back out, spread it apart just slightly, and retry your dryfire test..

Let us know, and/or if you need any other help i can help best i can, have installed 2 of their other kits and worked on 2 others.

Edit: Also what springs are you using, theres supplied or the original ones or ?

Ride4frnt
14 January 2015, 15:18
That's what I suggested this morning after having to do mine

DutyUse
14 January 2015, 16:38
It dry fires 100% every time. Just live fire sometimes it chokes

DutyUse
14 January 2015, 21:03
How new/old is it?

Check the "candy cane loop"

Also when you pull the trigger (dryfire it and watch(. Does the back of the trigger hit the frame ANYWHERE before its fired or clicked?

I did the apex trigger and a few of their small parts and then gunsmithed the sear and more and only thing i had to do was open the opp just slightly..Easy..just open it back out, spread it apart just slightly, and retry your dryfire test..

Let us know, and/or if you need any other help i can help best i can, have installed 2 of their other kits and worked on 2 others.

Edit: Also what springs are you using, theres supplied or the original ones or ?

It's 100% when dry firing. Must have dry fired it 300x last night without issue. Like I said in video the first 20 rounds were perfect..

And yea using Apex springs..

mustangfreek
14 January 2015, 23:38
You didnt quite answer it all, and sorry your grumpy...i'm just trying to help..........[:D]

Guess i should of asked fro mthe beginning of your journey

- did the gun run flawless before mods?

-Did you install just the trigger kit or a full kit also? - Sorry lost track between both threads

-Does the trigger, back of it, contact the frame or any part before it fires or as soon as it does even? i had to ever so slightly file a little off the back of the gun to make one act and fire 100% and before it had problems like you say.

-Also what ammo? You say it was very cold, factory loads or reloaded stuff?

last suggestion, and i will do this if i am not happy or something seems off, take it all apart again, slowly paying attention to how stuff was, and the re assemble ..

DutyUse
14 January 2015, 23:53
You didnt quite answer it all, and sorry your grumpy...i'm just trying to help..........[:D]

Guess i should of asked fro mthe beginning of your journey

- did the gun run flawless before mods?

-Did you install just the trigger kit or a full kit also? - Sorry lost track between both threads

-Does the trigger, back of it, contact the frame or any part before it fires or as soon as it does even? i had to ever so slightly file a little off the back of the gun to make one act and fire 100% and before it had problems like you say.

-Also what ammo? You say it was very cold, factory loads or reloaded stuff?

last suggestion, and i will do this if i am not happy or something seems off, take it all apart again, slowly paying attention to how stuff was, and the re assemble ..

I'm not grumpy? Im fact the guys at work call me Mr. Agreeable lol

It's the full kit, FFT alum version, theirs sear and slide safety plunger

I've had the MP for less then 2 weeks and had only field stripped it once. I was at one point Mr Glock. Smiths are a complete new animal for me personally..

For 20$ I figured I'd let a gunsmith install the kit , the same one who sold it to me originally. It was his competitive pistol so I figured he could knock it out quick.

I had to call Comp and Front to help walk the guy thru the process.. Even tho I gave him Apex #,and all their install vids.

It was factory ammo. I'd say maybe. 15-20% of time the striker would not recock itself regardless if it picked up a new round. Seems the return spring Is to weak or the trigger safety nub isn't installed correctly. PM ur # and I'll send you detailed photos thru text or email,if it could help,even 1%..

Thanks
Steve

mustangfreek
15 January 2015, 00:02
Okay, so someone else installed the kit. really it is super simple and if your familiar with a glock there isnt much difference..

Honestly, id watch the vids with the gun in front of you, only thing you really need a tool for is when you remove the sights to replace the spring and plunger. Which btw moves nice and freely??

As then you will know, these is nothing to removing the trigger and sear assembly..

Ill pm ya, and see if i can lend a hand...

mustangfreek
15 January 2015, 01:35
Bunch of vids to look thru...https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL49zaerr9Gi_4Y07uhJW1I0iIAPl6mr6d

And like we were talking i know there is a difference between the older and newer sear housing blocks, new one is the style you need with this kit and many others, thats why you hear some saying they had to upgrade their sear housing at the time of the kits install, i had one gun i gad to order the part for.

This is quoted right off their page about this flat faced trigger alone and/with the kit

" Requires use of sear housing block designed for large size sear plunger and spring (current production as of June 2011)"