PDA

View Full Version : Suppressor Choices Help

Farva
24 November 2014, 19:03
I went to my local dealer today to purchase a suppressor. I had my eyes set on the AAC 556-SD and when I got there were out. All he had was an M4-2000, which I'm not completely turned off to because my cousin has several and they are good cans. What had turned me on the the SD was mainly the price point. The dealer then started talking to me and was trying to push me towards either the SOCOM762 or the SOCOM762-mini or perhaps a saker. He also stated that he was trying to avoid AAC due to the mounting system having a history of failures, causing baffle strikes and after such a thing may happen one must send it off to AAC and deal with their less than enjoyable customer service. He went on to mention that three of his employes had those very issues with the AAC cans. That being said I've heard great things about AAC and I'm aware that both AAC and Surefire are some of the leading companies when it comes to cans.

My questions:

1.) Are the Surefire cans worth the extra money? Is the mounting system so rock solid that that alone is worth the extra money?

2.) do I go with the SOCOM762 or the SOCOM762-mini or being that the can, for now, will reside on a 556 rifle do I avoid the 762 all together and get a 556 can.

3.) is the 762-mini hearing safe on SBR's (in 223/556) on say 10.5" barrels and up?

4.) does any one have experience with either companies customer service? If so how was your experience?

This is all I can think of for now and I appreciate the help. Like I said the can will mainly be on a 556 rifle. Further down the road I plan to build a higher caliber rifle. it might be 308, 300blk or rebuild my 6.5 Grendel is yet to be determined

GOST
24 November 2014, 19:13
Have you checked out OSS? Supposed to have less blow back and are used on the new HK's.

http://www.oss-online.com/home.html

mustangfreek
24 November 2014, 19:17
Quiet riot has 556-sd's for 500 shipped...just a fyi and a few other good deals, tirant 9 for 350 shipped..

have you thought about the ranger 3, which is coming out end of this year a aac rep told me, this is a direct thread 556 can.

other then that i dont have any, but have researched the shit out of them, and for me, right now if i could swing it, the AAc cans are the best bang for your buck, i think at the moment, with the rebate , buys a mount or 2, or whatever

Ride4frnt
24 November 2014, 19:27
I've been recently looking at the Liberty MysticX. My second choice for a rifle can is likely a specwar 7.62 or saker 7.62

UWone77
24 November 2014, 19:29
Quiet riot has 556-sd's for 500 shipped...just a fyi and a few other good deals, tirant 9 for 350 shipped..

have you thought about the ranger 3, which is coming out end of this year a aac rep told me, this is a direct thread 556 can.

other then that i dont have any, but have researched the shit out of them, and for me, right now if i could swing it, the AAc cans are the best bang for your buck, i think at the moment, with the rebate , buys a mount or 2, or whatever

Slightly off topic, Last I heard the Ranger 3 had been completely scrapped and taken off the website.

mustangfreek
24 November 2014, 19:34
Slightly off topic, Last I heard the Ranger 3 had been completely scrapped and taken off the website.

Edit, the info i posted may not be correct..

UWone77
24 November 2014, 19:38
Slightly off topic reply, just found and read the email from nick at AAC from about 2 months ago, and he says the ranger 3 is coming and shipping to vendors by the end of the year..

LOL... I'm pretty sure it's not going to happen.

Farva
24 November 2014, 19:48
It's not a matter of finding the 556-SD in stock as there is another dealer I trust who has them. Plus I am trying to buy locally to avoid extended wait times and also keep the dollars local, for what ever that's worth. I was just curious if AAC was in fact "behind" on the technologies used in their cans (I imagine when I hear people say this they are referring to the 51T mounting system) I know AAC is a reputable company but if in the long run the Surefire cans are the better investment with a better mounting system etc it might be worth putting up the extra cash.

Farva
24 November 2014, 19:52
The OSS does seem interesting.

toolboxluis00200
24 November 2014, 20:20
i gave bing eye balling this one its a 5.56 can
http://www.silencershop.com/shop/yhm-5-56mm-phantom-qd/

and this one is a .30cal
http://www.silencershop.com/shop/yhm-stainless-7-62mm-phantom/

Ordnance
24 November 2014, 20:29
I went to my local dealer today to purchase a suppressor. I had my eyes set on the AAC 556-SD and when I got there were out. All he had was an M4-2000, which I'm not completely turned off to because my cousin has several and they are good cans. What had turned me on the the SD was mainly the price point. The dealer then started talking to me and was trying to push me towards either the SOCOM762 or the SOCOM762-mini or perhaps a saker. He also stated that he was trying to avoid AAC due to the mounting system having a history of failures, causing baffle strikes and after such a thing may happen one must send it off to AAC and deal with their less than enjoyable customer service. He went on to mention that three of his employes had those very issues with the AAC cans. That being said I've heard great things about AAC and I'm aware that both AAC and Surefire are some of the leading companies when it comes to cans.

My questions:

1.) Are the Surefire cans worth the extra money? Is the mounting system so rock solid that that alone is worth the extra money?

2.) do I go with the SOCOM762 or the SOCOM762-mini or being that the can, for now, will reside on a 556 rifle do I avoid the 762 all together and get a 556 can.

3.) is the 762-mini hearing safe on SBR's (in 223/556) on say 10.5" barrels and up?

4.) does any one have experience with either companies customer service? If so how was your experience?

This is all I can think of for now and I appreciate the help. Like I said the can will mainly be on a 556 rifle. Further down the road I plan to build a higher caliber rifle. it might be 308, 300blk or rebuild my 6.5 Grendel is yet to be determined

1. Debatable. I own the FA762SS. It's nice, but after handling a Thunderbeast I question whether it was worth the coin. If you need a QD though they are 100% gtg. As for the SOCOM's they were designed for more full-auto use than semi and IMO not as quiet as their Legacy lines.

2. If you're getting just one to multipurpose do NOT get the mini. You may want to put it on a bolt action later or a larger caliber.

3. Most normal cans you're getting down to around 130db which some may say is not really "hearing safe". If you're looking for the most sound suppression do NOT do a mini.

4. I've dealt with SF, AAC, and Silencerco. They're all pretty top notch. With Surefire though you may end up with longer wait times because of the sheer volume of business they do.

Lastly... I don't know who your dealer is but I'm not impressed. All his employees own AAC but it's a terrible can? Where are you located in OK? Someone here might be able to recommend a better shop with more choices. Make sure you look at Thunderbeast as well.

Ordnance
24 November 2014, 20:31
i gave bing eye balling this one its a 5.56 can
http://www.silencershop.com/shop/yhm-5-56mm-phantom-qd/

and this one is a .30cal
http://www.silencershop.com/shop/yhm-stainless-7-62mm-phantom/

I would not do YHM or Gemtech if you have the coin to do AAC, Silencerco, Surefire, or Thunderbeast. Also, get a .30 cal can that's rated up to a 300WM and you can multi purpose it.

toolboxluis00200
24 November 2014, 20:34
I would not do YHM or Gemtech if you have the coin to do AAC, Silencerco, Surefire, or Thunderbeast. Also, get a .30 cal can that's rated up to a 300WM and you can multi purpose it.

i did see a AAC 762-SD looks interesting

why dont you like the other ones just wondering ??

Ordnance
24 November 2014, 20:39
i did see a AAC 762-SD looks interesting

why dont you like the other ones just wondering ??

I've seen a lot of POI shift with their products, poor customer service, and less than stellar accuracy. They've underwhelmed me, and I'm more of a buy once cry once person. Also, when you're buying something designed to go on the end of a tool that's firing a projectile at very high speeds through an object with a 6+ month wait and $200 incurred cost... I'd rather go for a little more quality and backing. I also like the brake adapters associated with the other recommended vendors better. I will say this for Surefire though... Their QD mounting system is the tits and their brakes work great.

toolboxluis00200
24 November 2014, 20:48
I've seen a lot of POI shift with their products, poor customer service, and less than stellar accuracy. They've underwhelmed me, and I'm more of a buy once cry once person. Also, when you're buying something designed to go on the end of a tool that's firing a projectile at very high speeds through an object with a 6+ month wait and $200 incurred cost... I'd rather go for a little more quality and backing. I also like the brake adapters associated with the other recommended vendors better. I will say this for Surefire though... Their QD mounting system is the tits and their brakes work great.

thank you for the info

Farva
24 November 2014, 21:23
I'm located in the Norman area. I'm not sure if he meant the cans are terrible or if he was specifically talking about the mounting system. To be honest he's the only one I've heard talk negatively about AAC so I'm kinda taking his comments with a grain of salt. But I figure he must know what he's talking about seeing as how he sells em etc.

Farva
24 November 2014, 21:54
Ordnance why is the mini a no go for multi cal use?

Ordnance
24 November 2014, 23:02
Ordnance why is the mini a no go for multi cal use?

It's not that it's a no go for multi-cal use but that it's not the optimal choice. IMO unless you need a short package because your doing CQ work or need something with a minimal profile for low pro work then you're making unnecessary sacrifices in sound suppression. For instance mini is not going to perform well on a 300WM the way the regular RC will or any full-size can, and it won't be as quiet on any rifle period the way a full size will. It's about having the best tool for many jobs in this instance. Now if you can afford several cans and own SBRs hen it's a whole different story.

GOST
25 November 2014, 01:25
Also, get a .30 cal can that's rated up to a 300WM and you can multi purpose it.

Very good advice, the decibel increase of using 5.56 in one of these cans is only around 4 decibels.

GOST
25 November 2014, 01:34
The OSS does seem interesting.

I've not got a chance to use an OSS, but is a lot of cool features with their product. Another cool thing about the OSS besides supposedly having less blow back, is that the only part that's serial numbered is the sleeve. So the sleeve is the only part that needs a tax stamp, and can be used over either their 5.56 or 7.62 internals. Their system also adds a lot less length to the rifle.

schambers
25 November 2014, 03:05
I ordered a 7.62 Saker recently. Kicking myself for procrastinating on it.

People seem to talk a lot of smack about the 51T ratchet mount on AAC cans not providing a 100% lockup. I've only used two in the past (don't own one) and they seemed pretty solid to me. Like everything, AAC cans used to be state of the art but other companies have made their own improvements on mounting systems, material construction, sleave design, etc. That being said, there are plenty of people with AAC suppressors and they seem to work just fine.

Have you had a chance to look at a company called Dead Air? Don't know if you want to roll the dice with a new company, but their stuff seems interesting.

gatordev
25 November 2014, 16:29
It's not that it's a no go for multi-cal use but that it's not the optimal choice. IMO unless you need a short package because your doing CQ work or need something with a minimal profile for low pro work then you're making unnecessary sacrifices in sound suppression. For instance mini is not going to perform well on a 300WM the way the regular RC will or any full-size can, and it won't be as quiet on any rifle period the way a full size will. It's about having the best tool for many jobs in this instance. Now if you can afford several cans and own SBRs hen it's a whole different story.

That really gets back to how Farva intends to use it then. I understand the physics and the data on why a Mini is louder than a dedicated 5.56 RC, but I can't really tell the difference in reality. Personally, I went with a Mini because I don't ever plan to use it on anything larger than .308, and if a future bolt gun is slightly louder because of that decision, so be it, but it's still quieter than without it. When doing all my prepurchase research, noise reduction wasn't at the top of my list of priorities, but that was based on my desires, so folks need to figure that out on their own and go from there.

There's some good reasons not to go with SF, depending on what you're looking for, but I wouldn't rule it out just because it doesn't work with a certain caliber as well or isn't the quietest thing out there (which it surely isn't).

Ordnance
25 November 2014, 18:39
That really gets back to how Farva intends to use it then. I understand the physics and the data on why a Mini is louder than a dedicated 5.56 RC, but I can't really tell the difference in reality. Personally, I went with a Mini because I don't ever plan to use it on anything larger than .308, and if a future bolt gun is slightly louder because of that decision, so be it, but it's still quieter than without it. When doing all my prepurchase research, noise reduction wasn't at the top of my list of priorities, but that was based on my desires, so folks need to figure that out on their own and go from there.

There's some good reasons not to go with SF, depending on what you're looking for, but I wouldn't rule it out just because it doesn't work with a certain caliber as well or isn't the quietest thing out there (which it surely isn't).

Just to be clear a mini isn't slightly louder... It's a LOT louder on a bolt. Also, I know too many people who look at the immediate need and end up kicking themselves down the line. SF wouldn't be my first choice. My first choice would be one that most people have never even heard of which is Mack Bros. My next would be Thunderbeast. I'd also watch Templar Tactical because I've seen them put out some impressive stuff lately and I think as they grow it will only get better.

gatordev
25 November 2014, 18:51
Just to be clear a mini isn't slightly louder... It's a LOT louder on a bolt. Also, I know too many people who look at the immediate need and end up kicking themselves down the line. SF wouldn't be my first choice. My first choice would be one that most people have never even heard of which is Mack Bros. My next would be Thunderbeast. I'd also watch Templar Tactical because I've seen them put out some impressive stuff lately and I think as they grow it will only get better.

But again, doesn't that go back to Farva's personal "needs?" If he's looking for a one-size-fits-all, quick detach, a mini (versus a standard size) might be what he wants (be it SF, AAC, or whatever).

Out of curiosity, why is it louder on a bolt? Or do you mean it sounds louder since you don't have all the racket that the bolt system makes on an auto-loader? I'm not arguing that it isn't, just curious about the "why."

Ordnance
25 November 2014, 20:29
But again, doesn't that go back to Farva's personal "needs?" If he's looking for a one-size-fits-all, quick detach, a mini (versus a standard size) might be what he wants (be it SF, AAC, or whatever).

Out of curiosity, why is it louder on a bolt? Or do you mean it sounds louder since you don't have all the racket that the bolt system makes on an auto-loader? I'm not arguing that it isn't, just curious about the "why."

He already stated in his personal needs he plans to eventually use it on a higher caliber and that his comparison involved several full-size cans with one mini. I never said it was the answer to everything, and you keep wanting to come back with the same response because you're not acknowledging what I've said several times now in regards to future use and overall function. Mini's were designed for semi-autos in order to maintain a shorter profile and get reasonable sound suppression so the user doesn't go deaf. A bolt rifle has a higher pressure and expels more gas out the back of the barrel unlike a semi-auto which has a lower pressure and starts bleeding gas through the gas system before the bullet has even left the chamber. All cans have baffle systems designed specifically for certain platforms, but some just so happen to work well on multiple platforms unlike the mini which was mission specific when designed. I've also actually heard the SOCOM RC (Not even the mini) on a bolt and and the following words of the owner... "That was loud as F#$k!" Not imagine a smaller can with internal volume.

You're beginning to sound like you want to debate this for the sake of justifying your own purchase and not for the sake of Farva. People that already know what they want don't come on to forums asking questions unless they want help in making that decision based upon reasoning. The discussion has been great until I suggested not going with the Mini and then low a behold a mini owner shows up and wants to debate the OP's need for the sake of feeling better about the can they own. So... if your here to actually provide input as to why he should pick the mini over the others, then please present your reasons. Hopefully it won't start with how you understand the physics of something being quieter blah blah blah and then you have to ask me why it would be louder on a bolt gun... Maybe I'm just taking it the wrong way, but if you respond with the same statement about Farva's "Needs" without any type of justification for why it would be a better choice other than just wanting it... [pop]

UWone77
25 November 2014, 20:52

My questions:

I have a Surefire SOCOM 762Mini and a SOCOM 556SB. I also have an AAC Mini4, 762SDN6, 762SD, 556SD, and M4-1000

I like the AAC Cans better than my Surefire ones, and here's why:

To me the 51T Mounting system is fine. There is nothing wrong in my opinion and experience with them. They are also easier to remove than Surefire cans after shooting/carbon build up.

The Mini's were really never designed for hearing safe. In fact, I really don't use 556 cans without earpro. To me cans are more for less concussion, flash, and it's tolerable when shooting indoors.

Surefire cans are almost twice the price, as during sales you can almost get 2 AAC cans for the price of one Surefire. Huge.

If I could just have one can, I would buy a 762SDN-6, but having said that, I'm a fan of dedicated systems vs switching them between multiple guns.

However, going back to your original plan of buying a 556SD, that's really right now a no-brainer. AAC has been including a free blackout mount with the 556SD as well as giving you a $200 credit towards AAC products, which could get you 2 more mounts.

Farva
25 November 2014, 21:39
I have a Surefire SOCOM 762Mini and a SOCOM 556SB. I also have an AAC Mini4, 762SDN6, 762SD, 556SD, and M4-1000

I like the AAC Cans better than my Surefire ones, and here's why:

To me the 51T Mounting system is fine. There is nothing wrong in my opinion and experience with them. They are also easier to remove than Surefire cans after shooting/carbon build up.

The Mini's were really never designed for hearing safe. In fact, I really don't use 556 cans without earpro. To me cans are more for less concussion, flash, and it's tolerable when shooting indoors.

Surefire cans are almost twice the price, as during sales you can almost get 2 AAC cans for the price of one Surefire. Huge.

If I could just have one can, I would buy a 762SDN-6, but having said that, I'm a fan of dedicated systems vs switching them between multiple guns.

However, going back to your original plan of buying a 556SD, that's really right now a no-brainer. AAC has been including a free blackout mount with the 556SD as well as giving you a $200 credit towards AAC products, which could get you 2 more mounts.

Good information here. Are you basing it solely off the cost advantages of going with the AAC? Also tell me a little about your experience with the two SOCOM cans if you would please. I agree with the dedicated systems mind set as I was on board with the same thing as it may be some time before I shoot a larger caliber than 556. That being said I was looking at the SOCOM762-mini (after the chat with the dealer) as it had a smaller size for CQ Type work on an SBR for HD or even vehicle work and would still allow me to use it on a larger weapon system later on in life. AAC is still not out of the question.

gatordev
26 November 2014, 14:32
He already stated in his personal needs he plans to eventually use it on a higher caliber and that his comparison involved several full-size cans with one mini.

No, I missed that initially. I read "5.56" and "SBR/CQB" and focused on that. Completely missed the last line.

Mini's were designed for semi-autos in order to maintain a shorter profile and get reasonable sound suppression so the user doesn't go deaf. A bolt rifle has a higher pressure and expels more gas out the back of the barrel unlike a semi-auto which has a lower pressure and starts bleeding gas through the gas system before the bullet has even left the chamber. All cans have baffle systems designed specifically for certain platforms, but some just so happen to work well on multiple platforms unlike the mini which was mission specific when designed. I've also actually heard the SOCOM RC (Not even the mini) on a bolt and and the following words of the owner... "That was loud as F#$k!" Not imagine a smaller can with internal volume.

That's what I was asking. Now that you explain it, that makes sense. No excess gas being "bled" off to drive the bolt/carrier, so the energy has to go somewhere/in some form.

You're beginning to sound like you want to debate this for the sake of justifying your own purchase and not for the sake of Farva. People that already know what they want don't come on to forums asking questions unless they want help in making that decision based upon reasoning. The discussion has been great until I suggested not going with the Mini and then low a behold a mini owner shows up and wants to debate the OP's need for the sake of feeling better about the can they own. So... if your here to actually provide input as to why he should pick the mini over the others, then please present your reasons. Hopefully it won't start with how you understand the physics of something being quieter blah blah blah and then you have to ask me why it would be louder on a bolt gun... Maybe I'm just taking it the wrong way, but if you respond with the same statement about Farva's "Needs" without any type of justification for why it would be a better choice other than just wanting it... [pop]

I think the internet is getting in the way of communication. I fully acknowledge that the Mini is not the best choice for suppression. It met my needs, but I understand what you're saying that it's jack of trades and master of none. And by the way, when I say "Mini" I don't just mean the SF Mini, but any other smaller large bore suppressor.

As for trying to justify my purchase, I was actually trying to NOT do that, which was why I was asking the basic needs question. Again, having misread the initial post, I see where you're coming from.

Ordnance
26 November 2014, 15:10
As for trying to justify my purchase, I was actually trying to NOT do that, which was why I was asking the basic needs question. Again, having misread the initial post, I see where you're coming from.

No worries... I'm just in a shitty mood with and being a dick. I apologize...

Former11B
26 November 2014, 16:28
I'd go with something SilencerCo. The 556 SpecWar is the same price, 1/2" longer and 1oz heavier than the 556SD with a vastly superior mount. This is going to start a debate but the 51T mounts from AAC are not trustworthy...the wobble is a known issue (to the point of accuracy issues in the worst cases) to AAC but nothing has or will be done. Yes, some lock up great, but the design itself cannot guarantee it based on the degree of span between teeth (6-7 degrees)...lots of people have had to modify them for lockup. I can go into more detail if you want.

SureFire has great mounts but their welds are ugly and the cans aren't as quiet as others like AAC or SiCo. And they're pricey

OSS is an expensive specialty can made to run suppressed....I'd hate to run my rifle without it and screw up that mount. I also don't quite see the fan fare...back pressure can be reduced with gas blocks as well as many other "standard" cans (Surefire is one) are minimizing pressure with new designs.

Griffin Armament M4SDII is a great option as well. Griffin makes some good and reasonably priced cans

JGifford
26 November 2014, 16:41

This is why I went with a SOCOM MINI for my last can. I currently own several legacy SF suppressors, a couple of various 762 SOCOM cans (mini and fullsize), as well. The 556 SOCOM MINI is by FAR! my favorite.
Backpressure is noticeably less than my -212 legacy cans, and while I can tell more sound is coming from the muzzle, due to port blast, the Mini is about the same insult to the shooter's ears.

NO suppressor in 5.56 makes the gun hearing safe. Period.

Supersonic bullet flight is 150dB -+ 5.
Nothing can fix that.
Ejection port noise is modified by back-pressure. This is why the AAC SPR-M4 is one of the loudest cans out there to the shooter, and why the Surefire SOCOM MINI and AAC MINI 4 are quieter to the shooter.

Comparing the -212 fullsize to my SOCOM Mini on my 16" gun, the Mini sounded about 15% louder according to bystanders. To me the shooter, it sounded about the same except I could hear more noise going downrange. I did, against medical advice, crack off a few rounds without ear-pro. The insult from the mini was similar to the -212 to my ear as the shooter.

In short, chasing muzzle signature dB's when shooting supersonic ammunition seems pointless to me if you're ignoring ejection port signature to do it.

JGifford
26 November 2014, 16:50
I've not got a chance to use an OSS, but is a lot of cool features with their product. Another cool thing about the OSS besides supposedly having less blow back, is that the only part that's serial numbered is the sleeve. So the sleeve is the only part that needs a tax stamp, and can be used over either their 5.56 or 7.62 internals. Their system also adds a lot less length to the rifle.

As I understand it, OSS is only endorsed by HK-USA, and HK in Germany is not impressed. The OSS suppressor won't even fit on any of the currently fielded military HK rifles until they come out with an end-mount design. The "muzzle-device"/core is very intricate and once the sleeve is off, well, to me it seems about the same as running around with an exposed baffle-stack. Bang it around a bit and life will suck. Might work good for some users, but for hard use, I'd be leery. That, coupled with some of the oddball statements OSS has made have completely turned me off to considering the thing. If, in a few years, it becomes considered as a viable option by serious users, I will take a look at it, but the first time they came out with it a few years ago, it was a bag of snakes, and I have seen no indication that it is currently a prime-time ready product.

“The issue sound suppressors suck," Johnny told us bluntly. "They are outside ear safe. Not inside ear safe. Ear safe to us is less than 140db in a 4x8ft room, at the shooters ear.”
http://www.breachbangclear.com/oss-cans-operator-suppressor-systems/
^That's just NOT possible with supersonic ammunition.

It's a very complex device, to boot.

Former11B
26 November 2014, 18:08
As I understand it, OSS is only endorsed by HK-USA, and HK in Germany is not impressed. The OSS suppressor won't even fit on any of the currently fielded military HK rifles until they come out with an end-mount design. The "muzzle-device"/core is very intricate and once the sleeve is off, well, to me it seems about the same as running around with an exposed baffle-stack. Bang it around a bit and life will suck. Might work good for some users, but for hard use, I'd be leery. That, coupled with some of the oddball statements OSS has made have completely turned me off to considering the thing. If, in a few years, it becomes considered as a viable option by serious users, I will take a look at it, but the first time they came out with it a few years ago, it was a bag of snakes, and I have seen no indication that it is currently a prime-time ready product.

http://www.breachbangclear.com/oss-cans-operator-suppressor-systems/
^That's just NOT possible with supersonic ammunition.

It's a very complex device, to boot.

I made the same point about the OSS muzzle device. Very intricate and necessary piece of equipment. I'd hate to run that thing through a windshield or bang it on window frames etc while running unsuppressed. Not an issue with other muzzle devices

Although suppressors can't attenuate the supersonic crack, the dB level at the muzzle and the shooter's ear is substantially reduced; combined with even a set of foam earplugs or "combat" style that block out impulse noise, the shooter has a much more comfortable experience, as well as team mates or others on the firing line. Suppressors dampen the concussion (or just redirect it) but I would much rather shoot suppressed 100% of the time. Also, a bolt action makes a huge difference in the noise at the shooter's ear versus a semi auto.

JGifford
26 November 2014, 19:20
I made the same point about the OSS muzzle device. Very intricate and necessary piece of equipment. I'd hate to run that thing through a windshield or bang it on window frames etc while running unsuppressed. Not an issue with other muzzle devices

Although suppressors can't attenuate the supersonic crack, the dB level at the muzzle and the shooter's ear is substantially reduced; combined with even a set of foam earplugs or "combat" style that block out impulse noise, the shooter has a much more comfortable experience, as well as team mates or others on the firing line. Suppressors dampen the concussion (or just redirect it) but I would much rather shoot suppressed 100% of the time. Also, a bolt action makes a huge difference in the noise at the shooter's ear versus a semi auto.

Agreed. I just don't feel that the full-size cans offer much on a semi-auto because of ejection port noise. Now that I bought a mini, I wish I hadn't bought full-size cans previously.

tact
27 November 2014, 04:26
Well I'm just going to throw out my Saker is ready for pickup.....paper trust 4 months!!!.

rob_s
27 November 2014, 05:18
I had not heard of thunderbeast until this thread. What makes them so desirable?

I've been considering a suppressed armament Reaper, and it looks like thunderbeast offers a pretty competitive product (1.5" OD, ~7" OAL, <14 oz 7.62 with brakes and hider mounts in 7.62 and 5.56).

Former11B
27 November 2014, 06:18
Thunderbeast makes a very high-quality product to exacting tolerances which makes them ideal for precision rifles

SAS cans that you mentioned are great but not widely known. Can't go wrong there

gatordev
27 November 2014, 10:14
No worries... I'm just in a shitty mood with and being a dick. I apologize...

I hear ya. Yesterday wasn't a great day here, either.

UWone77
27 November 2014, 11:30
Good information here. Are you basing it solely off the cost advantages of going with the AAC? Also tell me a little about your experience with the two SOCOM cans if you would please. I agree with the dedicated systems mind set as I was on board with the same thing as it may be some time before I shoot a larger caliber than 556. That being said I was looking at the SOCOM762-mini (after the chat with the dealer) as it had a smaller size for CQ Type work on an SBR for HD or even vehicle work and would still allow me to use it on a larger weapon system later on in life. AAC is still not out of the question.

To my ear, the SOCOM cans sound louder, but like I said, I still wear ear-pro's with all centerfire cans. Cost for most of course is a large factor, but another thing to consider is, if you want to put a can on multiple platforms, the AAC muzzle devices are typically cheaper as well.

It's true, Surefire does have a lot less POI shift than AAC. However, to me that's not a big deal, because 90% of my shooting is 100 yards and in. I've preached this before, but I don't buy gear around the 1% or less of the time I might be doing something. If you end up getting a bolt gun, if you get a larger caliber. That's a whole lotta if's for something you'll probably be shooting 5.56 out of 99.9% of the time.

Unfortunately suppressors aren't one of those, I can try it out to see if I like it first type of thing. Just have to roll the dice. When I bought my first one, I decided to roll the dice with AAC as they were less than half the price.

BoilerUp
27 November 2014, 11:39
Any input on the Griffin Recce 7 (http://www.griffinarmament.com/Recce-7-Silencer-p/garec7.htm )? I'm considering that for a .300 pistol. I'd be curious to hear any opinions on Girffin's taper mount system, too.

GOST
27 November 2014, 13:35
One of the best deals I've seen. This one is from Radical Firearms. Buy a AAC SDN6 7.62 suppressor for $1049.95 and get a free complete upper. Then add $99.95 and get a complete lower. Also AAC has a $200 mail in rebate through the end if the year. So for $949.90 you can have a complete rifle and suppressor. They only have 10 of these and their doors open at 0800 on 11/28. Their phone number is 281-207-8788.

http://www.ar15news.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Radical-Firearms-Black-Friday-Sale-Copy.jpg

toolboxluis00200
27 November 2014, 13:43
One of the best deals I've seen. This one is from Radical Firearms. Buy a AAC SDN6 7.62 suppressor for $1049.95 and get a free complete upper. Then add $99.95 and get a complete lower. Also AAC has a $200 mail in rebate through the end if the year. So for $949.90 you can have a complete rifle and suppressor. They only have 10 of these and their doors open at 0800 on 11/28. Their phone number is 281-207-8788.

http://www.ar15news.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Radical-Firearms-Black-Friday-Sale-Copy.jpg

man thar is wild wish i had the money

Former11B
27 November 2014, 14:14
Any input on the Griffin Recce 7 (http://www.griffinarmament.com/Recce-7-Silencer-p/garec7.htm )? I'm considering that for a .300 pistol. I'd be curious to hear any opinions on Girffin's taper mount system, too.

The taper mount works really well. The SpecWar uses one similar and my Innovative Arms mount does, as well. It makes a really tight gas seal and keeps the threads clean. Mine has, but doesn't need, the QD latch because the taper seats so snugly.

I really want a Griffin Recce 5

Gaspipeshooter
28 November 2014, 07:03

The taper mount works really well. The SpecWar uses one similar and my Innovative Arms mount does, as well. It makes a really tight gas seal and keeps the threads clean. Mine has, but doesn't need, the QD latch because the taper seats so snugly.

I really want a Griffin Recce 5

I've been looking really hard at the Griffin Recce 5 & 7. Also in the mix is the Griffin Spartan 3 direct thread as a dedicated 5.56 can on an SBR or pistol upper. The other .30 cal can I've been looking hard at is the YHM Phantom LT. So many choices I get frustrated then I just sit back and do nothing...

Ordnance
28 November 2014, 09:29
I had not heard of thunderbeast until this thread. What makes them so desirable?

I've been considering a suppressed armament Reaper, and it looks like thunderbeast offers a pretty competitive product (1.5" OD, ~7" OAL, <14 oz 7.62 with brakes and hider mounts in 7.62 and 5.56).

Thunderbeast is not as affluent in the semi-auto performance market because they're more widely know in the precision long range shooting world. If you got to any large PRS, TRL, or general long range practical rifle event you can see them out there. Almost no POI shift, excellent accuracy, GREAT CS, and now that they are producing a better brake design for the 30CB9 I see them getting a lot more attention. Zak Smith is a good dude that is heavily into the precision game. They are designed more around bolt guns than semi0-autos, but they are worth looking at as I've seen them perform well on semi platforms as well.

https://thunderbeastarms.com/products/30cb9

UWone77
28 November 2014, 10:40
Please show me where you're getting that it's not mitigating the 150dB down to 130dB at the shooters ear since you'd be disproving every test done by Surefire, AAC, SilencerCo, etc...

You know, there is a way to get your point across without being a dick.

Knock it off.

Ordnance
28 November 2014, 12:10
You know, there is a way to get your point across without being a dick.

Knock it off.

Understood...

UWone77
28 November 2014, 12:39
Understood...

I think you add a lot of value with your knowledge. The culture here is a little different and based on mutual respect. If you check all of the history here, you see very few threads closed, and name calling and being a dick in general is kept to a minimum.

Thanks.

Ordnance
28 November 2014, 12:42
I think you add a lot of value with your knowledge. The culture here is a little different and based on mutual respect. If you check all of the history here, you see very few threads closed, and name calling and being a dick in general is kept to a minimum.

Thanks.

I didn't realize I had called anyone names. I'll adjust my attitude though and try to be a little less abrasive...

UWone77
28 November 2014, 12:45
I didn't realize I had called anyone names. I'll adjust my attitude though and try to be a little less abrasive...

Actually, it was just an example. You're right, you didn't call anyone names. My apologies if you took it that way and my poor wording.

We try to keep the atmosphere here like you're hanging out with a group of friends.

Less abrasive is always appreciated. Let's move on, and talk about firearms. [:D]

SwissyJim
28 November 2014, 12:46
I have no knowledge to add, no wisdom to share, but as a joeblow nobody John Q Public type shooter, I do love my Specwar762 with my 300BLK sbr!!! If I could just reduce the buffer spring twang a little more it would be hard to tell I was shooting a centerfire rifle (with sub loads of course)

six8
28 November 2014, 12:47
Actually, it was just an example. You're right, you didn't call anyone names. My apologies if you took it that way and my poor wording.

We try to keep the atmosphere here like you're hanging out with a group of friends.

Less abrasive is always appreciated. Let's move on, and talk about firearms. [:D]

Love the atmosphere just wish there were active members. Although, that can be a bad thing lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ordnance
I have no knowledge to add, no wisdom to share, but as a joeblow nobody John Q Public type shooter, I do love my Specwar762 with my 300BLK sbr!!! If I could just reduce the buffer spring twang a little more it would be hard to tell I was shooting a centerfire rifle (with sub loads of course)

JP Silent Capture Spring?

UWone77

I think people get ruined when they start off with 300 BLK suppressed and then go to 5.56.

What buffer are you using?

UWone77
28 November 2014, 12:49
Love the atmosphere just wish there were active members. Although, that can be a bad thing lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see what you're saying. [:D]

The board is a little different in that we primarily like to post new products, announcements, and of course pictures. We also offer installation guides and other firearms related guides and reviews. We'll try to increase that in the coming year.

Discussion is almost secondary here, but certainly not discouraged.

SwissyJim
28 November 2014, 13:02
JP Silent Capture Spring?

I think people get ruined when they start off with 300 BLK suppressed and then go to 5.56.

What buffer are you using?

Right now I am still using a standard carbine buffer, and chrome silicon spring. I have an enhanced spring coming from Damage Industries that others have reported good success with less 'twang'. I've thought of, and looked at, the JP silent setup and may try that eventually, but in all honesty the twang is not that bad. I'm just picky, and if I spent the $$$ to be silent, then dammit I wanna be silent! LOL

And yeah, going from 300BLK subs to 5.56 is a jump for sure. The fun is going to be once I get all my loads dialed in for the 300BLK, I am going to attempt some sub loads in 5.56 as well as some for my .308AR

But I do love my Specwar... my choice was more dB reduction with less emphasis on weight/length since it's a 'fun' gun for range and cabin plinkage. This spring I'll be doing my own version of the first Noveske/SilencerCo 'Find Your Range' video - that one gave me some fun ideas on how to spend my afternoons while I wait the 4-6 hours for my shrimp pots to fill up. Think steel targets on the beaches and old extra buoys floating in the bays, just waiting to be sacrificed...

[:D]

VIPER 237
28 November 2014, 21:19

I've had a Recce 7 almost for a year and it's my favorite can so far. The taper mount is rock solid and the recce 7 just keeps going and going. One of my buddies bought a saker 7.62 and after shooting them side by side he wishes he would've listened to me instead. Also the recce 7 is the only suppressor to survive lwrc's 6.8 pdw torture test. I will say the AAC is a quieter can, but the mounting system is archaic in comparison.

The recce 5 imo is the best 556 can out there period.

rob_s
29 November 2014, 05:16
I don't really follow the suppressor market much, but taper mounts are now the new hotness, and AAC coarse thread mounts are the old busted?