PDA

View Full Version : Trust Question

Credz
25 November 2014, 03:24
Hey All.

I had my trust done with Coyote Rifleworks and I must say I'm very pleased with it!

I contacted them about a question I had about the assignment of trust and the beneficiary page. They both need witness signatures and dates.

I asked them if I needed to include something in the assignment and they said yes and gave me a few examples. I asked If i was to include these 2 pages when I would send the PDF to silencershop and they said yes BUT leave them blank.

Does this mean both pages are left with no items in them and no signatures of witnesses at all. Just literally blank pages?

I just wanted to clarify since Black Friday sales are coming up and I'm hoping to buy a suppressor or two for my first NFA items.

Thanks so much!

schambers
25 November 2014, 04:53
My trust documentation "package" can be broken down into three basic parts:

1) The Declaration of Trust (which contains beneficiaries and whatnot)
2) Assignment of Property
3) Schedule A (property placed in trust)

Parts 1 and 2 should be signed, witnessed and notarized before being submitted to wherever you decide to buy an NFA item from. If you send them unsigned documents, you are essentally sending them useless paper. A trust is formed only when the documents are signed and notarized, and you can't transfer NFA items until you have a trust (or signature of a LEO, if you decide to purchase as an individual).

Part 3 is an addemdum to part 2, and thats where all the property that will be held in the trust is listed. I've been told that you should make the first item any old piece of property (many people suggest a dollar) to make the trust legal. I've also been told that this is not necessary (I added the dollar). In any case, you will add the relevant information for the NFA item you purchased to the Schedule A once you receive the tax stamp.

I've never worked with silencershop but I've heard they have good customer service. They will probably be very willing to answer any questions you have.

I went through NCsilencer and they set everything up for me.

Credz
25 November 2014, 06:19
Ok thanks for the reply.

If I'm sending the assignment sheet and beneficiaries sheet in. I take it I should have witness signature even tho there are no items in there yet?

schambers
25 November 2014, 06:45
You will likely need signatures from everybody before a Notary will agree to do their part, and you need the notary before you send the document packet it.

Again, lots of people put a dollar as their first item and many people say that the trust is not "legal" until you add something. I'm not a lawyer so I can't say whether or not thats true but it doesn't hurt to add something.

Credz
25 November 2014, 07:03
Oh I already got it notarized and signed by everyone but the assignment sheet and beneficiary sheet. Those don't have notary signature just witnesses.

Just confused cause they said to add a dollar or whatever but to send it blank.

schambers
25 November 2014, 07:12
Thats pretty weird. My Assignment of property sheet has a notary signature block on it, and I did not have spaces for additional witness signatures. Not all trusts are the same though.

Give the silencershop and call and ask them how they normally prepare their documents.

Credz
25 November 2014, 09:03
Just heard back from coyote rifle works and he confirmed I just have witness signatures on the two sheets and leave everything else blank. Seems easy enough lol

Gaspipeshooter
25 November 2014, 11:10
The reason for leaving it blank when you send it to Silencer Shop is they are going to submit it with your new toys. No sense in having stuff listed there that the ATF doesn't need to know about.

Ride4frnt
25 November 2014, 11:25
I need to figure out the whole settlor, trustee, co trustee, beneficiary thing. I'll call coyote tomorrow.

Credz
25 November 2014, 11:43
Thank you guys. That makes sense. So everytime I buy a NFA item I leave it blank but the "master copy" I add it to? I plan on hopefully buying 2 silencers this Friday. It'll be two seperate transactions tho cuz of credit limit lol.

Ride4frnt
3 December 2014, 11:10
Got my trust, read it all. Now to get me, my brother, may father, and two witnesses all together at once in front of the notary...

Also, I'm sort of confused about the signature pages. On some pages there are lines for signatures that aren't clearly marked...

Gaspipeshooter
3 December 2014, 14:16
Got my trust, read it all. Now to get me, my brother, may father, and two witnesses all together at once in front of the notary...

Also, I'm sort of confused about the signature pages. On some pages there are lines for signatures that aren't clearly marked...

Witness or Trustee signatures?

Ride4frnt
3 December 2014, 14:25
I think I've got it figured out, but the last two pages are what confuse me now. I understand the schedule a should be sent at a blank page to places like silencershop, etc, and I should keep a "master copy" with all my NFA toys in it? And the last page is only to be filled out if and when the beneficiaries come into play?