PDA

View Full Version : My AK47 build w/Vortex Strikefire RDS & AR Pistol with Vortex SPARC

Gaspipeshooter
28 November 2014, 08:19
I've posted some pictures of these toys in progress on some other threads. Finally got the Strikefire Red/Green dot mounted up on the AR47 and the SPARC mounted up on the "Piston Pistol". Took them both to the range and ran some ammo through them and got them sighted in at the 50 yard line. I really like both of them now that they are done and have the RDSs on them. Here is a photo of each in their current and final, (for now), form:

The AK47:
http://www.ohiowaterfowler.com/MISCPHOTOS/AK47V.jpg

The Piston Pistol:
http://www.ohiowaterfowler.com/MISCPHOTOS/LILBLASTER.jpg

I really enjoyed shooting them both, and even got lucky with one group out of the AK47 while sighting it in:

http://www.ohiowaterfowler.com/MISCPHOTOS/Group.jpg

Computalotapus
28 November 2014, 08:45
Man you are making me jealous. Parts for my AR-47 build are starting to trickle in and looking forward to this coming together. Since the AR-47 is going to be used mainly for hunting I am thinking about putting a PA 4x16 Illuminated Mil Dot scope (mainly just to try it out)

What all do you have into the AR-47 build?

Gaspipeshooter
28 November 2014, 09:12
Man you are making me jealous. Parts for my AR-47 build are starting to trickle in and looking forward to this coming together. Since the AR-47 is going to be used mainly for hunting I am thinking about putting a PA 4x16 Illuminated Mil Dot scope (mainly just to try it out)

What all do you have into the AR-47 build?

Not tryin' to make you jealous, just provide "incentive" to get yours done...[BD]

As for optics, I agree 100% with your choice of a scope for hunting. That group I posted was pure luck, as the dot of the Strikefire is bigger than that at 50 yards. I'll chalk it up to consistency...[:D]

Parts list for the build:

Aero Precision upper & small parts
Bolt carrier is mil-spec phosphate coated, can't remember whose
Bolt and firing pin are Colt
YHM Barrel, gas block, and muzzle device
MI Handguard
Lower is a complete Rock River, forged
Magpul MOE Stock and MIAD grip

Money-wise I'd say the upper I'm in for about $635.00 and the lower about $350.00?

Interesting story on the bolt & firing pin. A friend who owns a small local gun store bought two complete Colt AR Sporters in 7.62 x 39, with 20" heavy barrels, another complete matching upper, and a box full of misc spare Colt parts and about 30 magazines from a guy who was hard up for cash. Both complete rifles and the separate upper had ACOGs on them. I'm pretty darn sure they were all pre-'94 ban stuff. He made a killing on the complete rifles during the last panic, and kept the complete upper and put it on a lower I built for him. I bought the bolt and firing pin for my gun from him for $35.00.

Computalotapus
28 November 2014, 09:32
Cool deal I think I will be into mine for about $860 with the optic. I picked a lot of stuff up while it was on sale and found some really cool deals.

WHSmithIV
28 November 2014, 09:44
I like that 50 yard grouping. I hope to see similar from my AR 47 pistol when it's finished.

Gaspipeshooter
28 November 2014, 10:00
Cool deal I think I will be into mine for about $860 with the optic. I picked a lot of stuff up while it was on sale and found some really cool deals.

I might be off $50-$75. Your number sounds real good, especially including the optic! I got my Strikefire on sale locally for $149. Got the SPARC for the pistol from PSA on sale for $128 shipped to my door. I'm probably in the $1100 + range on the AK47 including the RDS.