PDA

View Full Version : World of Guns: Gun Disassembly

camomike
29 November 2014, 12:35
Not sure how many folks here are PC gamers, but I thought I'd pass this on to those who are.
A friend posted a "GAME" recently called World of Guns: Gun Disassembly. Currently it's a free to play game. I think you can buy expansions for it.

It's located on the STEAM game site.

Basically it's a 3D Strip and reassemble tutorial from what I've seen. Also has X-ray mode in it so you can see how various mechanisms work together. Also have a slow motion feature to explain various part interactions. Worth taking a look at if you are at all interested in how things work.

GOST
29 November 2014, 13:19
This will produce amateur gunsmiths everywhere.[BD]

GOST
29 November 2014, 13:20
And hopefully not to many lost fingers and hands.

camomike
29 November 2014, 13:21

I resemble that remark.

GOST
29 November 2014, 13:54
Me too, lucky for me the local gunsmith will double check and fix my mistakes for free.

FortTom
29 November 2014, 14:12

LMAO....... The sad part is that's probably true, 25 million new youtube 'smiths will pop up overnight....

Dstrbdmedic167
29 November 2014, 14:16
Man you let my secret out... How'd you think I's learned how build all dem rifles I gots... Haha

FortTom
29 November 2014, 14:29
Man you let my secret out... How'd you think I's learned how build all dem rifles I gots... Haha
Same way I did? From a coloring book?.......

GOST
29 November 2014, 14:37
The honest truth on how I learned was I had messed up on a 1911 and called a local gunsmith asking how much he would charge to fix it. And his response was,"Just watch YouTube". I told him that I didn't want to mess it up any further and he said,"There's good videos on YouTube". Guess he didn't want my money.

Soisauss
29 November 2014, 14:47
Yup, YouTube and forum are where all my learning comes from and from trial and error. :)

ah, yes coloring book. Good times

GOST
29 November 2014, 14:50
The Wilson Combat videos are the best I've seen for 1911's. Those videos have both mullets and tank tops at the same time.

toolboxluis00200
29 November 2014, 15:58
blown up finger in 3...2..1...

GOST
29 November 2014, 16:34
blown up finger in 3...2..1...

Did Jose Canseco use this?

FortTom
29 November 2014, 20:47
Did Jose Canseco use this?
The first rule of 'smithing is we don't talk about 'smithing..... we're still hunting you, tyler....

WHSmithIV
30 November 2014, 02:19
This is a bit amusing. I learned gun safety early on in my life as a child from my Granddad. My Dad didn't know anything about guns and still doesn't. He lives in Belgium. The Navy taught me the 1911 .45 .... it is my favorite pistol. I guess it's my favorite pistol because I know it so well. When I was 18 years old I was a 3rd class petty officer and was standing watches for quarterdeck watch on my ship with the loaded Colt .45............. We had 'intruder alert' drills - put a round in the chamber. Yes, I have a very soft spot for the 1911 .45 .. that's also why there is one next to my bed.

I can chase a coke can up a hill with 40 rounds and 4 mags and still and never miss with my .45 I practice this twice a year. My .1911 .45 just feels right in my hand - but I am biased I admit. I traded my SKS composite stock rive for my .45 - I got the better end of the trade too. My Mr. 45 now eats anything I feed it. i did a wee bit of inside work.

My .45 is my carry gun. Currently there is around 800 rounds through the barrel.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f59/whsmith4th/MyM1911_zps49af872e.jpg

DubTap21
3 December 2014, 05:57
Cool!

FortTom
3 December 2014, 06:14
There is a huge amount of expert advice in you tube videos, much of it by respected members in the firearms community. However, I've seen videos where people do things to firearms that make me shiver. The problem is, a new to firearms guy/girl may not know the difference, having no prior experience.

Even assembling a box of parts of a firearm into an AR-15 does not make one a 'smith. It takes training, years of experience, machining skills, troubleshooting skills, thousands of dollars of tools and tooling, to be a well rounded gunsmith, capable of handling about any firearm that crosses their desks.

That being said, I've met many very capable Armorer's who have wither military or civilian credentials, or both, but don't consider themselves "gunsmiths".

GOST
3 December 2014, 06:22
Even assembling a box of parts of a firearm into an AR-15 does not make one a 'smith. It takes training, years of experience, machining skills, troubleshooting skills, thousands of dollars of tools and tooling, to be a well rounded gunsmith, capable of handling about any firearm that crosses their desks.

That being said, I've met many very capable Armorer's who have wither military or civilian credentials, or both, but don't consider themselves "gunsmiths".

My wife considers me a disaster waiting to happen. It's difficult firing a new build for the first time with my fingers crossed on the trigger.[BD]

ddearmon2010
3 December 2014, 06:24
My wife considers me a disaster waiting to happen.[BD]

so does mine, new injury every day

GOST
3 December 2014, 06:30
so does mine, new injury every day

I know the feeling. Here's a list of my surgeries:

Ruptured intestine
Appendix removed
Tonsils removed
Abdominal scar tissue removed
Hernia
2X ACL reconstruction
2X meniscus repair
Septoplasty for a deviated septum

And I've not even turned 40 yet.

camomike
3 December 2014, 06:51

Very much what I consider myself. No claim of being a smith, but I'd fall more into the armorer catagory. I know my limits.