PDA

View Full Version : AAC.....the end?

tact
2 December 2014, 18:09
For all the AAC lovers out there.....

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/12/foghorn/john-hollister-derek-smith-quit-aac/

UWone77
2 December 2014, 18:16
For all the AAC lovers out there.....

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/12/foghorn/john-hollister-derek-smith-quit-aac/

Well, you could see that coming with the move, Mike Mers, Hollister, Smith, all gone.

toolboxluis00200
2 December 2014, 18:19
funny I wanted one of the 30cal suppressor :(

UWone77
2 December 2014, 18:20

AAC the company isn't going anywhere. They are still cranking out cans. The key people in the company that made it what it is today are all gone though.

toolboxluis00200
2 December 2014, 18:40
AAC the company isn't going anywhere. They are still cranking out cans. The key people in the company that made it what it is today are all gone though.

aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ok good to know

six8
2 December 2014, 18:51

Any idea where the key people are headed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GOST
2 December 2014, 19:21
Not surprised, this has been happening for awhile.

Former11B
2 December 2014, 19:24

There ARE other options out there.

SilencerCo, Griffin, YHM, Gemtech, etc

Any idea where the key people are headed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The article said John Hollister is headed to Sig, which is where Kevin Brittingham (AAC's founder) wound up after multimillion dollar unjust firing a couple years ago

toolboxluis00200
2 December 2014, 19:38
There ARE other options out there.

SilencerCo, Griffin, YHM, Gemtech, etc

The article said John Hollister is headed to Sig, which is where Kevin Brittingham (AAC's founder) wound up after multimillion dollar unjust firing a couple years ago

i refuse to buy any thing from Gemtech until the fix the out backII issue i am all so looking at the YHM 5.56

Thompson
2 December 2014, 19:54
That's a shame that all the current AAC employees are going to be booted. ... maybe they'll pull a Windam Weaponry ...

Former11B
2 December 2014, 20:03
i refuse to buy any thing from Gemtech until the fix the out backII issue i am all so looking at the YHM 5.56

I read sometbing not that long ago from Joey of Gemtech regarding the OBII's....they were trying to get to a point they could service the cans in a safe manner...obviously a lead issue but it seemed kind of like a weak excuse considering the cans were sold on the basis of "service guaranteed for life" and now they aren't.

I'll send you a PM so I don't clutter this thread anymore.

rsilvers
2 December 2014, 21:08

Mike Smith is there. Mike designed a crazy amount of stuff, and still is. This company move to Alabama has been known for a long time now. The current GA building was the fourth location, by the way. Alabama will be the fifth location. The article cited above is incorrect, and AAC silencers are not going anywhere.

Former11B
2 December 2014, 22:43
AAC may not be going anywhere but it seems like their innovation has. Other companies have come out with numerous new mounts and designs in a short amount of time and they're still cranking out the same ole same ole. I know many people are happy with their offerings but they don't "do it" for me personally.

markm
3 December 2014, 06:15

The only Gemtech cans I've seen that were trouble free were the thread on cans, specifically a 5.56 model. It seems those imbeciles are completely incapable of making a good Quick attach mount.

I could go on and on about the problems I've witnessed with Gemturds, but that's a whole other topic.

JFQuest
3 December 2014, 09:15
I see a number of possible outcomes, none of which really get me all tingly... that could be: Decrease in price and flooding the market, but QC will go down (or at least not advance as others might -- see the difference in Rem 870's 30 years ago vs the ones today). And with some of the folks leaving, there might be some newer upstart companies showing up from former employees thus being able to increase the choices out there. And if QC goes down, I have a feeling that the customer service level will as well.

All I can say is that I even more glad I went with my SilencerCo for my first can.

Gaspipeshooter
3 December 2014, 09:50
All of this is making me feel better about Griffin Armament and YHM...

UWone77
3 December 2014, 09:59
I haven't noticed a drop off in AAC's quality or service. AAC is still my favorite suppressors, nice blend of price/performance.

markm
3 December 2014, 10:22
Same here. We run a bunch of AAC cans. They do the job.

Calico Jack
3 December 2014, 19:31
Great just as I was plane to purchase a 762 SD next year...

toolboxluis00200
3 December 2014, 19:35
I read sometbing not that long ago from Joey of Gemtech regarding the OBII's....they were trying to get to a point they could service the cans in a safe manner...obviously a lead issue but it seemed kind of like a weak excuse considering the cans were sold on the basis of "service guaranteed for life" and now they aren't.

I'll send you a PM so I don't clutter this thread anymore.

that is why i got the OutBackII (super cheap price) i was going to upgraded it so i can take it apart BUT NNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOO they pull a fast one :(

Former11B
3 December 2014, 21:56
You might be able to get the can jail broken and upgraded by another company....not sure if SRI/Stalking Rhino Industries is still doing it. They may be able to help you in one way or another

UWone77
4 December 2014, 07:08
Great just as I was plane to purchase a 762 SD next year...

I wouldn't hesitate in making that purchase. I bought a 762-SD and a 556-SD this year. In fact right now, AAC is including Blackout 51T mounts with the suppressors. Along with the $200 credit, they are basically giving those suppressors away. Great deal for an all Inconel baffle stack.

toolboxluis00200
4 December 2014, 07:32
You might be able to get the can jail broken and upgraded by another company....not sure if SRI/Stalking Rhino Industries is still doing it. They may be able to help you in one way or another

they stop doing that for .22lr cans they only do 9mm cans now

CarbonScoring
7 December 2014, 09:18
John Hollister has moved to Sig Sauer:

http://soldiersystems.net/2014/12/07/john-hollister-to-sig-sauer/

Former11B
7 December 2014, 19:11
they stop doing that for .22lr cans they only do 9mm cans now

Ahh...sorry.

Maybe do a Google search and see if any other well known 07/02 does the work, and I'd still send Gemtech an email asking for at least a time line or ETA if they have one. I know Joey mentioned a couple months ago they were aware that a bunch of Outback customers were unhappy and they would offer a fix as soon as they were able to on several levels. Again, I don't know how much of that is a smokescreen; I'm just relaying what I read

/I apologize for the thread drift

Deadwing
29 December 2014, 01:16
I wouldn't hesitate in making that purchase. I bought a 762-SD and a 556-SD this year. In fact right now, AAC is including Blackout 51T mounts with the suppressors. Along with the $200 credit, they are basically giving those suppressors away. Great deal for an all Inconel baffle stack.

The 762-SD and 556-SD are incredible values. They are such good values that i was able to get a 556-SD and a Ti-Rant 45 for just a little bit more money than i had originally budgeted for just a rifle silencer. I missed the deal on getting a 51T mount included, but got in on the $200 per silencer rebate. It sucks to see so many of the people who made AAC what it is leaving the company. But with no evidence of diminished quality, there's no way i could justify NOT spending my hard earned cash on AAC products, and basically getting two for the price of one.

DutyUse
29 December 2014, 01:46
My ultra tiny local FFL right down the road has been trying to talk me into a AAC 556SD for months now and I've been meaning to ask around about them.

All in it'll be about a G to get into one, would this be a good first stamp? Are they easy to service, and most importantly durable?

Deadwing
29 December 2014, 02:14
My ultra tiny local FFL right down the road has been trying to talk me into a AAC 556SD for months now and I've been meaning to ask around about them.

All in it'll be about a G to get into one, would this be a good first stamp? Are they easy to service, and most importantly durable?

I was able to get my 556-SD for under $600 (+sales tax+tax stamp). They have a Cerakote finish on the outside and use an all Inconel baffle stack inside, which is about as good as it gets. It's not rated for full auto fire, where the more expensive M4-2000 is, but that doesn't matter to me since full auto weapons aren't civilian legal in my state. As for being easy to service, they are a sealed unit and don't have much in the way of user serviceable parts, so there's nothing you'd to need to service. I'm still waiting for my stamp, so i don't have any hands-on experience with it yet. But from my research, it should be a great can that will last a good, long time.

DutyUse
29 December 2014, 02:22
^wow 600 total?

My shop is asking 550 + 200 + 125 for trust. I thought they was giving me the love price, seems like they were just not the kind of loving I had in mind lol

Deadwing
29 December 2014, 02:42
^wow 600 total?

My shop is asking 550 + 200 + 125 for trust. I thought they was giving me the love price, seems like they were just not the kind of loving I had in mind lol

$600 was my price for just the can. The tax stamp was an additional $200, state sales tax was probably $50, and i already had my trust so i didn't think to include that. All in, i'm probably close to a grand, including the trust. Sorry, it's late and my wording was clear as mud. I'd say $550 is a pretty square deal. If it suits your needs, i don't think you'll find a better bang for your buck than the 556-SD.

DutyUse
29 December 2014, 02:53
Shew okay. You had me worried. I do ALOT of business with those guys and for a second I panicked thinking they'd be bending me over for years lol

Deadwing
29 December 2014, 02:57
Shew okay. You had me worried. I do ALOT of business with those guys and for a second I panicked thinking they'd be bending me over for years lol

LOL! Sorry, didn't mean to freak you out! If you're going to do it, i'd act fast. I think AAC is only offering the $200 rebate through December 31st.

DutyUse
29 December 2014, 03:14
Oh I'm screwed then. To many needs not enough means. Unless a handful of forum guys I owe $ wanna take a check from me say in February ;)

UWone77
29 December 2014, 08:18
Oh I'm screwed then. To many needs not enough means. Unless a handful of forum guys I owe $ wanna take a check from me say in February ;)

The $200 Stick it to the Man Promotion is usually offered several times a year from AAC. Just wait for the next round.