PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Issue

Sak007
2 December 2014, 20:29
I have a 229 .40 with a Barsto drop in 9mm conversion barrel in it . I have been having feeding issues as of late , it will fire off a few but not seat all the way sometimes . I load 147gr hp and size with an EGW undersize die which has no problem running through my Glock . Whats going wrong ? I plan on getting a threaded 9mm barrel for it but don't want to invest the $ if I'm still gonna have feeding issues without buying a conversion slide .

alamo5000
2 December 2014, 20:38
I can't help you with the Barsto stuff or the EGW... but my guess would be that if you are reloading to check your crimp.

I had a bunch of ammo that I had to recrimp before. Pistol A was a loose shooting loose tolerance pistol. Pistol B was not. I could run my reloads all day long through pistol A but not in pistol B. The solution was a very slight adjustment to the crimp.

A quick test will be to take the barrel completely out of the gun and hold it in your hand. Take a sampling of your reloads and try to drop them in the chamber. If they don't go easy this is most likely your problem.

http://forum.gon.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=281798&stc=1&d=1238777535

Sak007
2 December 2014, 21:08
They drop in just fine , I even cycled a couple mags with no problem .

alamo5000
2 December 2014, 21:15
They drop in just fine , I even cycled a couple mags with no problem .

Did you disassemble the pistol and try to free hand drop the rounds in the barrel? Or did you just rack through a mag or two with the gun still in one piece?

Depending on what your answer is the next step would be to buy a box of factory ammo and try it. If you still have feed problems, it's the gun. If not then it's probably your ammo.

Sak007
2 December 2014, 22:27
I removed the barrel . I will run some factory tomorrow .

camomike
2 December 2014, 22:55
When is the last time you cleaned your mags down? Or changed the springs? Weak spring can ca use the follower to drag and slow down the feed. Same with dirty mags, the follower tends to drag on the carbon build up.

Also might be worth checking your extractor. If it's dirty the previous round can hang long enough to screw to feed on the next round cycling.

GOST
3 December 2014, 01:58
I second what CamoMike said. I would try a new mag to try to rule out whether or not it's a mag problem first.

alamo5000
3 December 2014, 05:21
Everything mentioned here is a possible solution. Just try isolating one thing at a time until you find it. Switch mags and run some more reloads... didn't think of that. Good idea.

One other thing to check on is bullet seating depth. If it's just 1mm off it can cause these problems. Before you shoot the factory ammo get some calipers and measure them and check it vs your reloads.

alamo5000
4 December 2014, 18:25
Any progress? Curious to learn what you found out.

Sak007
4 December 2014, 20:20
grabbed some ammo gonna run it tomorrow if its not storming .

WHSmithIV
4 December 2014, 22:22
I'd also recommend getting some 0000 steel wool and working on the chamber with it. Try with ball ammo also. I had to do a lot of work on my .45 for it to feed wad cutters and semi wad cutters. You may be having a feed ramp line up problem and working on those ramps with the 0000 steel wool will fix that.

camomike
6 December 2014, 13:59
Any update yet?

Sak007
6 December 2014, 16:57
Just ran a box of Tula through it and no issues with only one round that didn't go bang .

camomike
6 December 2014, 17:33
What did you end up trying?

Sak007
6 December 2014, 18:09
I didn't try anything just loaded up and mag dumped . I'm going to polish it up and see if that does anything . I was also thinking about getting a 9mm guide rod spring to replace the 40 one . I'm going steel head fishing tomorrow morning so I'll bring it out tomorrow and see if it was just a fluke .

alamo5000
12 December 2014, 21:11
Updates?