PDA

View Full Version : Clear or Smoke Magazine?

Ordnance
3 December 2014, 16:47
So... a friend of mine gave me an idea for a photo. It will be complicated with a lot of variables but if it works I will have some hopefully bad ass shots. While I was thinking about how to go about it since it will take days, I thought that what would make it even better would be using a clear or smoke magazine. Now I'm not a fan of anything that tells someone else how many rounds I have left, so my only real relative experience with these types of magazines are the smoked Lancers. If I absolutely have to buy just one though I would like it to be something that is at least durable. Does anyone have any preferences based upon actual use and not what they saw in a photo? A clear would be ideal, but if the clear polymers aren't holding up that well then I'll just get a Lancer and call it good.

Ride4frnt
3 December 2014, 16:53
So... a friend of mine gave me an idea for a photo. It will be complicated with a lot of variables but if it works I will have some hopefully bad ass shots. While I was thinking about how to go about it since it will take days, I thought that what would make it even better would be using a clear or smoke magazine. Now I'm not a fan of anything that tells someone else how many rounds I have left, so my only real relative experience with these types of magazines are the smoked Lancers. If I absolutely have to buy just one though I would like it to be something that is at least durable. Does anyone have any preferences based upon actual use and not what they saw in a photo? A clear would be ideal, but if the clear polymers aren't holding up that well then I'll just get a Lancer and call it good.

ETS and while you're at it buy a few of them.

Ordnance
3 December 2014, 16:58
ETS and while you're at it buy a few of them.

I'll only need one for photos.

GOST
3 December 2014, 17:05
I've never used the ETS mags, but the Lancers are great mags.

Ordnance
3 December 2014, 17:13
I just glanced through UW's write-up on ETS. I gotta say though in the beginning they pedaled their product a little too hard... I'll write it off to enthusiasm though and remain objective.

JHoward
3 December 2014, 18:15
Well, the title says clear or smoked, but your post mainly asks about quality. LOL

Since I don't actually own one or the other, maybe I shouldn't even comment,

but... I took the time to type this much, so I will say this, the smoked magazines are much sexier. Good luck, can't wait to see the picture.

Ordnance
3 December 2014, 20:18
Well, the title says clear or smoked, but your post mainly asks about quality. LOL

Since I don't actually own one or the other, maybe I shouldn't even comment,

but... I took the time to type this much, so I will say this, the smoked magazines are much sexier. Good luck, can't wait to see the picture.

Quality in relation to a clear or smoked magazine. Lancer makes them and I've had positive results with Lancers magazines, but since I've never owned any other manufacturer that does a clear or smoked I wanted to see if I could weigh the opinions of those who have.

JHoward
3 December 2014, 20:20
Gotcha. I am about to order an ETS or two just to check them out. Seems most feel positive about Lancer, so I might as well give them a try so I can weigh in.

Ordnance
3 December 2014, 20:25
Shows how much attention I've paid. I see Lancer is also doing a clear now, lol...

din
4 December 2014, 18:32
IIRC, Lancer has been selling clear AWMs since they brought them out. They used to have translucent brown and black, too, but the smoked ones look the best. I use black Lancers in my 5.56 and clear in my 300 BLK, and I haven't had any problems with any of 'em. I'm planning on getting some of the ETS mags to try out, but I'm a big fan of the steel feed lips on the Lancers.

CarbonScoring
4 December 2014, 20:02
HK makes a clear/smoked mag as well. I don't know anyone who has used one, but it's HK, so I expect them to be both good quality and overpriced.

GOST
5 December 2014, 04:51
The Lancers I have I've been using for around 3 years and have had zero issues. They also engage and eject better than the other mags I'm currently using.

Eric
8 December 2014, 21:22
I've been playing around with the ETS mags for a bit and overall, I like what I see. The mag body is stronger than I expected. I did several drop tests and barely scratched them. However, I did manage to damage the follower.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/AR15forme/Magazines/IMG_5606-wevo1.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/AR15forme/media/Magazines/IMG_5606-wevo1.jpg.html)

markm
9 December 2014, 06:08
I've been running some ETS for a month plus now. WAY better than Lancer mags. I'm running the plain 30s without the Coupler feature.