PDA

View Full Version : I blame you guys

CoxeyDiesel
3 December 2014, 21:42
After looking at all the superb photography here, I've decided I need to step up my game from my iPhone. Where would you guys start? I don't want to waste money on a subpar setup but at the same time I don't want to spend more than $1000 or so.

What would yall suggest to get me started?

Ride4frnt
3 December 2014, 22:53
I would start somewhere in the realm of entry level Canon SLR's. T3i, T5i, etc. you can find them in kits (body, lens, bag, card, extra battery, other accessories) for $700 or so brand new. This should be a good place to start. I shoot with a t2i, UW mentioned he shoots with a t3i.

Check adorama.com or bhphotovideo.com for the kits. I know adorama has multiple kits in the $700 area.

RiverRat
4 December 2014, 00:32
What I might recommend largely depends on the type of pictures you intend to take, what your level of experience is and how much you are willing to grow into gear if it's more than you would use now.

Assuming you know at least a little about what you're doing (for example, you know how to use aperture and shutter prioroty modes), then there are a few good options.

For travel, walk-around and street photography, I might be inclined to point you towards the Olympus OM-D E-M10 or Panasonic GX7 mirror-less bodies. Both use small micro 4/3rd sensors in easy to carry bodies. Lenses for these systems (generally) tend to relatively inexpensive while providing good image quality. Both have in-body image stabilization, so any lens you attach gains some degree of forgiveness from movement (on your part, not the subject's). Both are unobtrusive - people will be less likely to notice you or complain about you snapping pictures. Both are available with 14-42mm general use lenses for around $700. Unfortunately both tend to autofocus slowly, making them poorly suited to sports and wildlife photography. Color rendition can be a bit of an issue in lower light and it's tough to get artistically thin depth of field, if that's your thing. Fuji and Sony mirrorless systems work better in low light and have greater creative control, but generally cost more (fewer, more expensive lens options.)

For a more versatile setup, I would consider a Canon T5i (since that model is still widely available and has better autofocus than the older models) in a kit with 18-55mm + 70-300mm lenses for the $770ish. Or ebay for a T2i, T3i or T4i used - I think bodies should be available starting around $250 and you can skip the kit lenses for something better. These all have the same workhorse APS-C sensor that delivers excellent performance in general use. No in-body stabilization, so you'll end up paying for long (or slow) lenses with image stabilization. In my opinion, you can get (much) better glass for this system than you can for the mirrorless systems - though the gap is closing. For example, I think the normal 85mm prime lens is often underrated - it really is a steal for $370 after rebate. Heck, I have a friend who does amazing things with the $100 50mm f/1.8 lens. But these APS-C systems really are more versatle - very good for sports and wildlife in addition to all the uses where the Oly and Panny work. You get more exposures out of a batter charge (it's physically larger). On the downside, lugging a body plus a couple of lenses in casual settings isn't as carefree - you pretty much have to plan to be taking photos to make it feel worthwhile. I can't comment on the Nikon side.

The other thing I really recommend is reasonable image processing software. You can limp along with the software provided my manufacturers for a while, but it really is pretty weak stuff if you start to get serious. I recently adopted Adobe Lightroom after using only Photoshop CS5 for a couple of years. I didn't believe that it would make as much difference as it has - my workflow has gotten much smoother and I can get images pretty far along just in Lightroom.

Hope that helps a little - feel free to ask more specific questions as your thinking evolves.

CarbonScoring
4 December 2014, 01:20
Depending on what you want from your photography, and what types of shots you want to take, you may want to look into getting an off-camera flash as well. Whatever camera or brand, you should be able to find a speedlight that can be triggered without it being on the camera itself. Photography is just capturing light. Controlling the light is what will make you photographs better, even if you're just using an iPhone.

WHSmithIV
4 December 2014, 04:28
Any reasonable camera will do and as just mentioned above, lighting is the key. So, you want a camera with built in flash. I've been using my 3.3 megapixel Olympus camera now for over 7 years. You can post process on the computer by adjusting contrast and adding light very easily just using the the normal photo viewer included with Windows.

The good thing about digital cameras is that you can easily take 100 pics and throw 99 of them to the trash just keeping the one good one.

CarbonScoring
4 December 2014, 05:40
lighting is the key. So, you want a camera with built in flash.

I can't quite agree with that. Nothing makes a photo look like a snapshot more than built-in flash, at least to me. I'm sure there are good photos with built-in flash, but even getting the flash on a camera-mounted bracket will greatly improve most photos.

One problem with the built-in flashes are they tend to be close to the lens. This means the light is bouncing straight back into the lens. When the light source is off-camera you get better highlight/shadow definition and hot spots aren't so dramatic. You also tend to get harsher light with the built-in flashes. They're small compared to speedlights and the smaller your light source (or more distant the source), the harsher the shadows will be.

Again, this all depends on what you want/expect from your photography. If you're shooting outdoors, you may be able to use the built-in flash to fill shadows a bit.

Txfilmmaker
4 December 2014, 06:18
I have used the built in flash as a fill light. It's worked well in that role. I agree with the Canon recommendations. I have one. Two of my daughters bought themselves Canons. Lenses are important, but you can still get great photos with the kit lens that comes on most cameras. Canon makes a $100 lens called the "nifty-Fifty that is the best "cheap" lens out there. RiverRat may have alluded to that one. Another great bang for the buck camera is the Nikon D3200. $446 on Amazon. My oldest daughter bought this one. As has been stated, lighting is huge. You can get a nice flash, but you can also use DIY lighting for controlled situations. If you have friends with a certain brand, it's good to go that way. Then you can share knowledge and lenses, etc.

UWone77
4 December 2014, 06:34
Any reasonable camera will do and as just mentioned above, lighting is the key. So, you want a camera with built in flash. I've been using my 3.3 megapixel Olympus camera now for over 7 years. You can post process on the computer by adjusting contrast and adding light very easily just using the the normal photo viewer included with Windows.

The good thing about digital cameras is that you can easily take 100 pics and throw 99 of them to the trash just keeping the one good one.

I can't agree with this either.

Your 7 year old camera is probably outclassed by recent cell phone cameras in all honesty. You can still get decent pictures, in fact, I was able to get some decent results from a 9 year old one when I first started snapping pictures.

OP Start with this thread:

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?1230-Photography-How-to&highlight=photography

Lighting is key, try taking a picture on a cloudy day outdoors.

JHoward
4 December 2014, 06:35
https://d13yacurqjgara.cloudfront.net/users/91916/screenshots/703275/ikea-kna_ppa.png

Slippers
4 December 2014, 06:49
It's really not the camera. It's an understanding of how to apply lighting. You can use an iphone to take amazing pictures, especially after you ditch the stock camera app and use something with full manual control, and apply the right lighting to the scene, along with a tripod.

Any of the current or last two generations of sensors, even in entry level DSLRs, are more than adequate. I think the general public has a huge misconception that more expensive bodies = better pictures. The reality is that the enthusiast and pro bodies generally add useful features for those that use cameras as a work tool, like larger and faster buffers, twin memory card slots, water proofing for bad weather, alloy frames for durability, higher shutter cycle life, etc. They don't necessarily add a noticeable advantage in image quality. Also, there's a reason most professional bodies do not have a built in flash.

If you're serious about photography, you spend money on lighting and lenses, and depending on what you're doing, a really good tripod. Those are the most important parts of the equation, and something you keep forever. Bodies come and go. With that said, even the standard kit zooms aren't half bad anymore, but there's definitely something to be said when you start using Canon L or Nikon Nikkor professional glass.

I have three photographers in my family, and between the three of them and my hobbying we have a Canon 5DmkII, 60D, T2i, two S95, Nikon D300, D7000, D5300, two D50, two Olympus OM-D EM-5, a Panasonic GH4 and GH3, Sony NEX-5N, A7s, and a Mamiya 7 (medium format film). And dozens and dozens of high end lenses.

Personally, my travel camera is the OM-D. If I go on an extended backpacking trip without power, I take an SLR for the battery life, usually the 60D or D7000. At home, I shoot all the Arisaka images with the D7000.

I'm not sure why Nikon gets a bad rep, but I own and have access to a wide array of cameras and find benefits (and drawbacks) to all of them. I use whatever fits my needs, as do my family members who use them for a living.

SINNER
4 December 2014, 07:04
I had horrible issues with a few Nikon's. Luckily my wife shot with Canon cameras her whole life so the transition was less painful as she has bags full of lenses and flashes. I picked up a EOS 7D body with a dual battery pack grip for less than $700. It far exceeds my abilities.

Pyzik
4 December 2014, 07:32
I'll try to find it, I was just reading an article earlier this week saying that DSLRs are really reaching their peak for the recreational photographer. The market will likely be moving to mirror-less removable lens cameras.

They're smaller, lighter, are offering superb capabilities and are for the most part, cheaper.

You've got LOTS of reading to do. I feel you, I went through this process last year at this time. It took us until early February to make a decision.

EDIT: Here it is.
http://www.popsci.com/gadgets/article/2012-08/dont-buy-dslr

Also, start watching/following Adorama on youtube.

I can't agree with this either.

Your 7 year old camera is probably outclassed by recent cell phone cameras in all honesty. You can still get decent pictures, in fact, I was able to get some decent results from a 9 year old one when I first started snapping pictures.

OP Start with this thread:

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?1230-Photography-How-to&highlight=photography

Lighting is key, try taking a picture on a cloudy day outdoors.

This. My new Note4 has a 13mp camera in it. With the right conditions, it's pumping out some really decent photos and great video. It's even got (good) stabilization.
Blows our old (4 years?) Sony 10mp camera out of the water. Not that the camera was that great to begin with but it was a couple hundred dollars. :(

CarbonScoring
4 December 2014, 07:43
I'm not sure why Nikon gets a bad rep...

Nikon would really have to screw up to get me to switch. I started with a D70 and have been using a D700 for years now. I'd love to upgrade to get video as well, but I have no need to switch from my D700.

GOST
4 December 2014, 07:49
My wife has a Sony NEX-5R and it's having issues, till that it has been great for her. Wouldn't recommend one now though.

Computalotapus
4 December 2014, 07:55
And this is why I love my camera phone stock app :) and use of external lighting and diffusers

http://www.computalotapus.com/images/stockapp.jpg

toolboxluis00200
4 December 2014, 08:06
how to use iphone for photos

http://youtu.be/q6ISHsoVSWM?list=UUuw8B6Uv0cMWtV5vbNpeH_A [BD][BD][BD][BD]

toolboxluis00200
4 December 2014, 08:11
Canon xsi
50mm lens
natural light
lightroom 2.6 to edit
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x151/toolboxluis/brian1of1-8.jpg (http://s183.photobucket.com/user/toolboxluis/media/brian1of1-8.jpg.html)

toolboxluis00200
4 December 2014, 08:15
T2i
18-55 lens
what ever light was in the room
edit in lightroom 2.6
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x151/toolboxluis/scott1of1-5.jpg (http://s183.photobucket.com/user/toolboxluis/media/scott1of1-5.jpg.html)

Pyzik
4 December 2014, 08:17
how to use iphone for photos

http://youtu.be/q6ISHsoVSWM?list=UUuw8B6Uv0cMWtV5vbNpeH_A [BD][BD][BD][BD]

I thought for sure that was going to be a How To Basic video....
https://www.youtube.com/user/HowToBasic

toolboxluis00200
4 December 2014, 08:31
I thought for sure that was going to be a How To Basic video....
https://www.youtube.com/user/HowToBasic

hahahahahah

Txfilmmaker
4 December 2014, 08:44
T2i
18-55 lens
what ever light was in the room
edit in lightroom 2.6
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x151/toolboxluis/scott1of1-5.jpg (http://s183.photobucket.com/user/toolboxluis/media/scott1of1-5.jpg.html)

I do a lot of color grading for television. It's hard for me to put out a picture without a little tweaking. Programs like Lightroom, Photoshop and Aperture make a big difference. Eight years ago, I took my oldest daughters senior picture with a 2 megapixel Fuji point & shoot. Threw it in Photoshop, faked a narrow depth of field and got high praises for the photo. Don't forget to buy a couple hard drives. One for a master and one for a backup. Nice photo and photo "editing," BTW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CarbonScoring
4 December 2014, 09:01
Don't forget to buy a couple hard drives. One for a master and one for a backup.

Words to live by.

toolboxluis00200
4 December 2014, 09:28
Words to live by.
i need to buy another hard drive maybe two

Computalotapus
4 December 2014, 09:36
Don't forget to buy a couple hard drives. One for a master and one for a backup.

S3 storage is cheap and it has its own redundancy. Couple TB's in the cloud is the best way to go :)

alamo5000
4 December 2014, 09:59
I shoot with Pentax DSLR cameras. You can get the top of the line that beats a 7D hands down for about $800 for the body. The previous generations go for $500-$600 but are still extremely good. Lenses are another story. Depends if you like zooms or primes. Any of the DA or FA limited primes from Pentax are equal to canon L series glass...you can get them new or used for a lot cheaper than anything canon.

alamo5000
4 December 2014, 10:17
With Pentax primes (what I use) the fastest you can get is f1.8 with a couple of exceptions. They are not as fast as cannon or Nikon lenses but the build quality exceeds both of those. Pentax only offers at present crop camera and medium format. In your price range crop is it since an entry level medium format body is about 10 grand....

Pentax primes are small and light and have superb build quality. The trade off is the lenses typically are not as fast.

alamo5000
4 December 2014, 10:59
And I concur with the others...learning about light and how it acts in regards to your camera is one of the most valuable skills. Having good gear is one thing....using it is another.

Gaspipeshooter
4 December 2014, 12:50
S3 storage is cheap and it has its own redundancy. Couple TB's in the cloud is the best way to go :)

No offense, but I giggle a little every time I read someone reference "THE CLOUD". Mostly because I think there are really people who believe their shit is stored somewhere floating around between Terra Firma and Outer Space...not on honest to goodness real hard drives in some server farm...

Pyzik
4 December 2014, 12:54
No offense, but I giggle a little every time I read someone reference "THE CLOUD". Mostly because I think there are really people who believe their shit is stored somewhere floating around between Terra Firma and Outer Space...not on honest to goodness real hard drives in some server farm...

This is my wife. She still doesn't understand how it works I think... :(

Txfilmmaker
4 December 2014, 13:15

I have not tried the "Cloud" storage, yet. Is there any particular service you trust more than others?

Txfilmmaker
4 December 2014, 13:19
With Pentax primes (what I use) the fastest you can get is f1.8 with a couple of exceptions. They are not as fast as cannon or Nikon lenses but the build quality exceeds both of those. Pentax only offers at present crop camera and medium format. In your price range crop is it since an entry level medium format body is about 10 grand....

Pentax primes are small and light and have superb build quality. The trade off is the lenses typically are not as fast.

I think most people shoot f2 or higher more frequently, so 1.8 should be plenty fast. Pentax is a good camera. I went Canon because I shoot a lot of video as well as stills and most of my friends have Canon gear that we share. Lots of good choices... :)

alamo5000
4 December 2014, 13:27
If you want video then there are better choices than Pentax. But for shooting stills...they are great. Not trying to be a gear ho but it is what it is. There are several cameras out there that if I win the lotto I will buy...right beside all the guns I can dream up. Lol.

With any camera its 95% user anyway.

Pyzik
4 December 2014, 13:34
I have not tried the "Cloud" storage, yet. Is there any particular service you trust more than others?

I don't use it. Too nervous still.

Computalotapus
4 December 2014, 13:35

Trying to explain it to clients makes me laugh and cry at the same time.

I have free Azure storage (20TB) because of my affiliation with Microsoft but I recommend Amazon to clients who will use and can write it off as an expense. Google Drive is roughly $10 a month per TB and OneDrive is $7 a month per TB. I say Amazon as they have had the least amount of issues out of the top 3 providers.
The reason I say use cloud storage is because over time disk integrity degrades even is you are not putting power to the external HDD. I have seen external HDD that have had data stored to them and not touched for a year but when the client needed the data the disk was dead and it cost them $$$ to have drive savers recover the data. The key is finding what you need to have available and what time frame you can cycle old stuff out to store newer data.

Txfilmmaker
4 December 2014, 14:44
Trying to explain it to clients makes me laugh and cry at the same time.

I have free Azure storage (20TB) because of my affiliation with Microsoft but I recommend Amazon to clients who will use and can write it off as an expense. Google Drive is roughly $10 a month per TB and OneDrive is $7 a month per TB. I say Amazon as they have had the least amount of issues out of the top 3 providers.
The reason I say use cloud storage is because over time disk integrity degrades even is you are not putting power to the external HDD. I have seen external HDD that have had data stored to them and not touched for a year but when the client needed the data the disk was dead and it cost them $$$ to have drive savers recover the data. The key is finding what you need to have available and what time frame you can cycle old stuff out to store newer data.

Thanks. Sounds wise. I use StorageDNA tape backup at work. (HD video) Even with that, I make two copies. 😯

Slippers
4 December 2014, 17:02
I'm a fan of carbonite. Unlimited for ~$60 a year. I have 5+ terabytes of photos backed up on there, and then I keep local backups as well. Once you start shooting raw, you never go back. And your storage needs seem to increase by an order of magnitude.

Txfilmmaker
4 December 2014, 17:59
I'm a fan of carbonite. Unlimited for ~$60 a year. I have 5+ terabytes of photos backed up on there, and then I keep local backups as well. Once you start shooting raw, you never go back. And your storage needs seem to increase by an order of magnitude.

I usually shoot raw. Great latitude, huge files... :-)

Dstrbdmedic167
4 December 2014, 18:11
I just need a camera. My IPhone 6 does great but I've been wanting one for a while anyway.

Txfilmmaker
4 December 2014, 20:09
I just need a camera. My IPhone 6 does great but I've been wanting one for a while anyway.

All of the recommendations here are good. I still like the idea of getting a brand that your friends have. Being able to share gear and tips is very helpful. As an example: I am shooting a Christmas party for a fortune 500 company this Saturday night. I am borrowing a lens from my daughter and a flash from a coworker. No rental fees. :)

Aberration79
1 January 2015, 19:37
I would recommend that if you DO get an DSLR, try and take a class. If you just stick it on auto all the time, you are wasting your money. You might as well get a point and shoot with a decent zoom lens.

I used to work for Nikon, so that's what I use. I just have a D50, and honestly I don't see needing anything else. Maybe for a Higher MP sensor, but you aren't gaining what most people think from more MP. I already spent more on the 18-200 lens than I did the body. And I do need some sort of closer lens. There is so much to taking good pictures though you can learn a whole lot from a cheaper setup. And still take amazing picture.

UWone77
2 January 2015, 19:32
All of the recommendations here are good. I still like the idea of getting a brand that your friends have. Being able to share gear and tips is very helpful. As an example: I am shooting a Christmas party for a fortune 500 company this Saturday night. I am borrowing a lens from my daughter and a flash from a coworker. No rental fees. :)

The only reason I have Canon gear is because Stick taught me how to shoot pics, and he uses all Canon gear. I also had a buddy give me a 40D body, so I ended up with all Canon. I'm not a loyalist, if someone turns me on to Nikon Gear, I would have no issue moving over.

DutyUse
2 January 2015, 21:16
I sat and read this whole thread and have no idea wtf you guys are rambling on about.

Don't get me wrong, yalls photos are amazing. Some of you are easily at a professional level or better. But dang to much jargon for this country boy to wrap his head around...

I think I'm doing good just to get photos from my phone to the computer and hosted up lol

Txfilmmaker
3 January 2015, 09:11
The only reason I have Canon gear is because Stick taught me how to shoot pics, and he uses all Canon gear. I also had a buddy give me a 40D body, so I ended up with all Canon. I'm not a loyalist, if someone turns me on to Nikon Gear, I would have no issue moving over.

Exactly. They both make great images in the right hands.

Txfilmmaker
3 January 2015, 10:46
http://digital-photography-school.com/first-dslr-now/
First DSLR, now what? Looks like a good article.

Aberration79
4 January 2015, 22:56
The best thing I learned recently was the +/- bar at the bottom of the viewer was a light meter... Of course I don't read manuals...

toolboxluis00200
4 January 2015, 23:12
The best thing I learned recently was the +/- bar at the bottom of the viewer was a light meter... Of course I don't read manuals...

manuals are form wimps LOL