PDA

View Full Version : What buffer weight would you guys suggest ...

Calico Jack
5 December 2014, 08:03
What buffer weight would suggest for a .300 Blackout SBR with a 10.5 ot 11.5 in barrel. I'll be using either a aero percision barrel or a ballistic advantage barrel if ballistci advantage checks out.

Thanks in advance. My research hasn't turned up any clear results.

din
5 December 2014, 09:34
37 kilograms.

Kopis
5 December 2014, 09:47
Should run fine with whatever you put in, i run the spikes heavy tungsten buffer in all my ARs including my 16" blackout. I "think" it's quieter. Bottom line is we all like to mod our guns.

DutyUse
5 December 2014, 09:48
H2 buffer if you plan on suppressing and using mostly subsonics, if not you could probably get away with an H.

Side note BA makes excellent barrels for the money, especially their modern series.

UWone77
5 December 2014, 09:48
What buffer weight would suggest for a .300 Blackout SBR with a 10.5 ot 11.5 in barrel. I'll be using either a aero percision barrel or a ballistic advantage barrel if ballistci advantage checks out.

Thanks in advance. My research hasn't turned up any clear results.

I always start with an H Buffer, and work from there. A lot of my SBR's use H2's.

Don't over think the buffer. Use what works, and don't pay extra for gimmicks. It's a buffer.

Ride4frnt
5 December 2014, 10:06
I will second what UW said. My blackout settled on a h2 and Wolff XP spring

SwissyJim
5 December 2014, 11:40
yup... I started low, and ended with H2 as well. I am going to try the JP Captured spring tho... the 'twang' is getting to me. I'm about to the point of not caring as much about the $$$

Calico Jack
5 December 2014, 13:18
Thanks for the info especially the info about the suppressor.

Stretch1130
6 December 2014, 13:18
DutyUse, who is BA? Battle Arms? Still learning the acronyms

DutyUse
6 December 2014, 14:00
DutyUse, who is BA? Battle Arms? Still learning the acronyms

No worries, hell I don't know most of them myself :D. I was talking about Ballistic Advantage. Their QPQ "modern series" barrels are wonderful for the money. The OP (original poster) had mentioned them

Danep21
6 December 2014, 17:47
Probably an H2. I have the JP Enterprises Silent Captured Spring Assembly and absolutely love it. They also have a spring kit for it with different stiffness of springs, and I think they are working on Tungsten weights that will be equivalent to an H2. The SCS quiets down (no buffer spring noise), and it smoothens out the action tenfold

bzdog
6 December 2014, 18:01
Noveske uses pistol gas and H2 buffers in theirs.

-john

domestique
14 December 2014, 02:37
AAC 9" is designed to use the H2 buffer (pistol gas).

KageSaru
4 February 2015, 07:44
I use either a standard carbine buffer (2.9~3 oz) or the JP Silent Captured Spring system on all of my 300 BLK builds.

My 10.5" pistol build has the JP SCS along with a Young Mfg National Match Light Bolt Carrier (w/SRC Reliab-Bolt) and I typically run it with my AAC 762SDN6 suppressor, but this setup will reliably run subsonic ammunition without the can on it.

Honestly, unless you are running your AR full auto, the use of heavier buffers is not needed since the 300 BLK produces considerably less gas pressure than the 556/223 which in turn reduces the stress on the components (I have over 3,000 rounds through mine without any breaking any parts).

The only reliability issues I have had are strictly related to the use of remanufactured ammunition that had bulges or burrs on the necks that caused the cases to stick in the chamber (soon to be rectified by hand loading my own ammunition or using factory new ammunition).

As budget allows, I will be retrofitting all of my other BLK pistols and carbines with the JP SCS and this bolt carrier since this setup compared to using heavier buffers & full auto carriers results in a lot of cycling issues. Also as Danep21 noted, the JP SCS is extremely quiet and helps to reduce the mechanical noises generated by the AR (which are more noticeably shooting suppressed with subsonic ammo).

Hoping to find another bolt carrier that weighs in the 9 to 10.5 oz range at a significantly lower cost than the Young MFG NM or SLC carriers ($265!). So far looks like it will be either a Seekins Low Mass or Spikes Lightweight BCG's.

GaSwamper
4 February 2015, 15:39
I use either a standard carbine buffer (2.9~3 oz) or the JP Silent Captured Spring system on all of my 300 BLK builds.

My 10.5" pistol build has the JP SCS along with a Young Mfg National Match Light Bolt Carrier (w/SRC Reliab-Bolt) and I typically run it with my AAC 762SDN6 suppressor, but this setup will reliably run subsonic ammunition without the can on it.

Honestly, unless you are running your AR full auto, the use of heavier buffers is not needed since the 300 BLK produces considerably less gas pressure than the 556/223 which in turn reduces the stress on the components (I have over 3,000 rounds through mine without any breaking any parts).

The only reliability issues I have had are strictly related to the use of remanufactured ammunition that had bulges or burrs on the necks that caused the cases to stick in the chamber (soon to be rectified by hand loading my own ammunition or using factory new ammunition).

As budget allows, I will be retrofitting all of my other BLK pistols and carbines with the JP SCS and this bolt carrier since this setup compared to using heavier buffers & full auto carriers results in a lot of cycling issues. Also as Danep21 noted, the JP SCS is extremely quiet and helps to reduce the mechanical noises generated by the AR (which are more noticeably shooting suppressed with subsonic ammo).

Hoping to find another bolt carrier that weighs in the 9 to 10.5 oz range at a significantly lower cost than the Young MFG NM or SLC carriers ($265!). So far looks like it will be either a Seekins Low Mass or Spikes Lightweight BCG's.
What about the Voo Doo low mass? Runs about $145 I think on their website for just the carrier.

toolboxluis00200
4 February 2015, 15:53
on my SBR i use the spike H2 buffer it works fine