PDA

View Full Version : Need some recommendations

WHSmithIV
5 December 2014, 20:36
Guys - I need to get an air pistol that shoots plastic pellets. Any suggestions? I have to be able to shoot at the neighbors dogs but I don't want to kill them. I figure if I shoot them a few times with plastic pellets they'll stop coming over to our property and antagonizing our dogs. The pellets will just sting them.

toolboxluis00200
5 December 2014, 20:59
to be honest you can get in to legal issues doing that have you talk to the owners yet ?

alamo5000
5 December 2014, 21:00
get a painball gun or one of those airsoft things.

Slippers
5 December 2014, 21:17
I'd be wary of shooting a dog with an airsoft gun. Bust out the tactical hose and spray them with water a few times. They won't come back.

JHoward
5 December 2014, 21:35
Yeah, you can do damage with an airsoft gun. If you want to stay in good graces with the neighbors, I wouldn't.

SwissyJim
5 December 2014, 22:17
hell, I used a quality slingshot and Whoppers. Believe it or not, I found the Whoppers to be straight shooters, they were hard enough to hurt, and they exploded on impact destroying any and all evidence. And if there was any left, other animals would eat the evidence. A few shots in the ass and the strays that were ransacking my garbage quit coming around. Of course I was only shooting maybe 30 feet?

DutyUse
5 December 2014, 22:43
Will just get some cheap firecrackers

WHSmithIV
5 December 2014, 23:15
to be honest you can get in to legal issues doing that have you talk to the owners yet ?

Actually, here we can't have legal problems. If the dog is on our property harassing our animals I have every right to kill it. This is open range area. We don't let our dogs run free for that very reason.That's why I want to use a pellet gun with plastic BB's though. I don't want to kill the dogs.

WHSmithIV
5 December 2014, 23:16
Can't use the hose - it's winter. However, a slingshot could be a good idea with paper wads. I don't have to shoot more than maybe 30 feet either Jim.

ddearmon2010
6 December 2014, 03:54
a wrist rocket and DOTS candies.... work like rubber bullets
they also sell plastic shots for them

alamo5000
6 December 2014, 07:29
Pre mix some tannerite and set out 3 or 4 one pound bottles in the yard...when they come over make them think they are under mortar attack. :)

Uffdaphil
6 December 2014, 09:55
Get a tray for round ice cubes. Perfect disappearing slingshot ammo.

shenvalleywc
6 December 2014, 10:49
If you get a Co2 powered air soft pistol from Walmart they will be accurate enough to hit where you want at 30 feet. Make sure it is air soft not pellet or bb. Usually around 30 or 40 bucks.

WHSmithIV
6 December 2014, 11:13
If you get a Co2 powered air soft pistol from Walmart they will be accurate enough to hit where you want at 30 feet. Make sure it is air soft not pellet or bb. Usually around 30 or 40 bucks.

I was thinking something like that. I like Jim's slingshot option though also so I may go with that.

UWone77
6 December 2014, 11:17
Get a tray for round ice cubes. Perfect disappearing slingshot ammo.

I like the way you think.... disappearing evidence!

Gaspipeshooter
6 December 2014, 11:32
If I was going to Wal-Mart, it would be for a shovel...and that's all I'm gonna say...[:D]

WHSmithIV
6 December 2014, 12:25
I like the way you think.... disappearing evidence!

It doesn't disappear in the winter here though with the temps below freezing. Small round stones will be fine though since there are several million on our property anyway [:)]

Hmac
6 December 2014, 14:12
I have found that paintballs do an excellent job of discouraging nuisance animals, from dogs digging holes to black bears in the backyard to a flock of mallards sunning on my dock, and a paintball gun is my weapon of choice for that purpose. The velocity can be dialed up or down. If you don't want to use actual paint, you can get paintballs that are soft/solid (Lazerballs), or you can get water-filled paintballs. Only downside is that they need propellant. CO2 is the easiest, but CO2 doesn't vaporize well at 30 degrees or below, in which case use of compressed air or nitrogen is more suitable.

RobSWVA
6 December 2014, 22:30
well, if the neighbors have an issue w/ either airsoft or lobbing whoppers at their dogs, say 'fine, buckshot it is'. that will usually have em on a chain or inside a fence of some sort pretty quick. I'm not one for just up and killing peoples pets either, but if it comes down to them or my animals, well......

Computalotapus
7 December 2014, 06:45
In Alabama part of deer season has a window in it which allows for the use of hunting with dogs. We have over 1100 acres on the family farm and have participated in wildlife management since I was a lil kid. We have been successful keeping a decent deer population on our property mainly due the to management program and the fact that our neighbors also participate in the program. Now every season the dog hunters will drop their dogs off on one side of the property and the shooters on the other side of the property. Even though its clearly posted every 100 yds on the fence line Private Property NO HUNTING ALLOWED NO DOGS ALLOWED. They let their dogs drive through our land pushing the deer out for them to shoot off our land.

Well we started posting up more signs and got the sheriff involved and nothing happened. So now we have a dog season in the middle of deer season where family comes out during dog season and any dog seen on the property is shot, the collar is cut off and mailed back to the address on the tag with a nice note stating their dog is dead and has been used as catfish food in the catfish pond.

shenvalleywc
7 December 2014, 08:45
I like the idea of the slingshot too. Never thought of it before. I live in a close neighborhood where an airsoft pistol sounds very loud when trying to scare off feral cats at night. Slingshot might be more of an option for me.