PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Favorite AR-15 Manufacturer?

GOST
6 December 2014, 07:06
We all have our favorites. Some will say yourself cause who doesn't love a frankenbuild. I'm a big BCM fan, never had any problems with their stuff and great customer service. The same can be said Daniel Defense. Who do you like?

six8
6 December 2014, 07:16
BCM, but everything I've put together has worked. I would love to own a KAC Rifle tho

Computalotapus
6 December 2014, 07:29
The only company built rifle I own is a Smith & Wesson M&P 15. Everything else I have built.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8.1

GOST
6 December 2014, 07:37
BCM, but everything I've put together has worked. I would love to own a KAC Rifle tho

I hope to get a CQB KAC upper, but you never know. I change my my mind a lot.

CarbonScoring
6 December 2014, 07:41
I love my BCM, and it was the lower I chose to SBR, but I have to say Mega. I have a couple of their forged lowers and a billet, plus 2 billet uppers. The quality of the machining, the tolerances and the anodizing are the best I've bought.

six8
6 December 2014, 07:42
I hope to get a CQB KAC upper, but you never know. I change my my mind a lot.

You and me both man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoilerUp
6 December 2014, 07:48
If I was buying a new off-the-rack AR, I'd probably go with Daniel Defense

alamo5000
6 December 2014, 07:51
Since this looks like it is talking about complete AR's I have no opinion... maybe we can compile a list of everyone's favorite components manufacturers? That would be a great resource...

JHoward
6 December 2014, 08:00
I've gone through quite a few BCM rifles through the years, and I have loved them all. That being said, I've finally gotten over my roll-mark addiction, and I trust myself to build a quality lower, so I haven't paid the extra $200 for another BCM rollmarked lower lately, but I will continue buying BCM uppers and accessories. I think most of my lowers will be MEGA and Aero Precision from now on.

GOST
6 December 2014, 08:10
Since this looks like it is talking about complete AR's I have no opinion... maybe we can compile a list of everyone's favorite components manufacturers? That would be a great resource...

Vote for components are cool , doesn't have to be for complete builds.

JGifford
6 December 2014, 08:11
Didn't see Hodge Defense listed, voted for Daniel Defense. Have owned or have time using:

Noveske
Daniel Defense
Colt

of the one's listed.

VIPER 237
6 December 2014, 08:13
KAC is still my first choice, but for the price BCM can't be beat. I used to be a Colt fan boy but BCM is just doing everything better.

CarbonScoring
6 December 2014, 08:15
Vote for components are cool , doesn't have to be for complete builds.

Problem with your list is that there are just too many great manufacturers.

GOST
6 December 2014, 08:19
Problem with your list is that there are just too many great manufacturers.

Very true, the option only allows for 10.

GOST
6 December 2014, 08:21
Didn't see Hodge Defense listed, voted for Daniel Defense. Have owned or have time using:

Noveske
Daniel Defense
Colt

of the one's listed.

I've only seen Hodge rifles in pictures. I thought their AU Mod 2 was supposed to be released last month?

camomike
6 December 2014, 08:25
Most of my rifles are Frankenguns. Components wise I have favored Rainier as of late. But if I was buying an assembled I'd go with BCM; great company out of the Upper Midwest.

GOST
6 December 2014, 08:30
Site sponsor Primary Arms is still offering $400 off Daniel Defense rifles with code DD4.

http://www.primaryarms.com/Daniel_Defense_Rifles_s/4281.htm?utm_source=bronto&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Save+on+all+in+stock+Daniel+Defense+Rifle s&utm_content=Cyber+Monday+Savings+at+Primary+Arms&utm_campaign=14-12-1+Cyber+Monday

JHoward
6 December 2014, 08:32
Coxey Diesel is going to freak out because LWRC is not named. Dangit, why can't we tag people on forums yet?

GOST
6 December 2014, 08:35
This poll is for DI only.[:D]

GOST
6 December 2014, 08:36
Besides markm would kill me if LWRC was included.[BD]

JHoward
6 December 2014, 08:45
Piston guns are for commies anyway.

GOST
6 December 2014, 08:47
Piston guns are for commies anyway.

Unless they're Primary Weapon Systems.

JHoward
6 December 2014, 08:53
*cough* sellout *cough*

GOST
6 December 2014, 08:58
Can't help it, I've always wanted to try a MK110 upper.

DutyUse
6 December 2014, 09:11
Colt or BCM are the only two Completes I would buy personally, and are the two I most commonly recommend. Brand new shooters I always steer towards a 6720 or a 6920 simply for their price/quality ratio. For tucking away in a safe it's hard to lose on a 800$ Colt.

JHoward
6 December 2014, 09:36
I have to admit though... Palmetto State has some good stuff (for the money). As far as dirt cheap rifles, PSA is hard to beat. I would say cost/value ratio, they are pretty high on my list. I have owned quite a few PSA uppers, and other than shipping issues, I have nothing but good to say about them. Not BCM quality, but at the price.... You can build a rifle for around $500 from PSA, and it will be higher quality than most any rifle other than the ones named in this thread.

GOST
6 December 2014, 09:38
You're right, PSA is a very well priced option. Probably the least expensive rifle with a FN barrel.

JHoward
6 December 2014, 09:42
Thing about them is, from my experience, they're built with good parts. But the QC on the parts just isn't there. So it seems like if you get one, you'll break it in the first 1000 rounds, or you won't ever break it (in a normal duration).

Uffdaphil
6 December 2014, 09:48
Favorite manufacturer is BCM for quality, innovation and unsurpassed configuration options. Second fave, not listed, is Centurion Arms for their classic C4 rail, new CMR and great barrels. Goessele would be third for triggers and rails. Fourth - Mega for the forged Gator lower.

Colts are the best bang for the buck with the 6920, but no innovation there and I'm gravitating to lighter/different contour barrels now. The only complete factory AR I ever bought new was a DD V7 which I sold because of the slippery handguard.

GOST
6 December 2014, 10:10
For a components I'm a really big fan of Battle Arms Developement. Their customer service is the best I've experienced period. I've got their BAD-15 lower as the start of my next build.

Smac61
6 December 2014, 10:18
I voted "myself" but I use Mega receivers almost exclusively anymore. Like most everyone else though, I use them all. My current "go to" carbine is a Mega forged lower with DD LPK, Larue extension, LMT stock, BCM buffer and spring, quite the mutt. Upper is a factory BCM 12.5" so there's that...

XACT_ABORT
7 December 2014, 07:40
I haven't bought a complete rifle so I don't have an opinion based in experience, I do find myself wanting a BCM based purely on the consistently positive feedback that is apparent everywhere and the overall quality\value of their offerings. They have an excellent CS reputation as well, just seems like they do it right. Of the three builds I have done, I am most impressed with the fit and finish of Mega stuff and if I were building another I would find it difficult to not use Mega receivers be they billet or forged, that stuff really is top shelf. Particularly for the forged stuff, it just feels like it should be much more expensive than it is to my senses.

alamo5000
7 December 2014, 08:44
I can only comment on components.

I can say I completely enjoyed thinking through a build. Putting it together was very enjoyable in and of itself.

I am very pleased with CMT Tactical, Rainier Arms, and SLR Rifle works. I talked to a rep from Rainier on the phone about my barrel of theirs and now I am even more convinced they have their crap together.

din
8 December 2014, 01:56
For a components I'm a really big fan of Battle Arms Developement. Their customer service is the best I've experienced period. I've got their BAD-15 lower as the start of my next build.

Mine too. I'm on the list for one of the BAD-15s without the rollmark, so as soon as they get those in I'll start throwing another 300 BLK together. Really looking forward to seeing what they come out with next.

I picked myself for favorite builder, I've never purchased a complete rifle just because I'm so picky about parts and I'd be pissed off if I dropped a grand on a complete rifle and then had to swap out a bunch of components to get it where I wanted. If I did buy I complete rifle I'd probably go with Sionics or BCM.

GOST
8 December 2014, 02:10
Been hearing a lot of good things about Sionics but have yet to get my hands on one. Their barrels look to be very nice for the price.

Ride4frnt
8 December 2014, 02:40
Larue tactical. All others need not apply.

greenlineaz
8 December 2014, 12:26
Seems really hard to go wrong with any of the options that are listed. For beginners I too recommend a Colt 6920. Not too expensive, and leaves plenty of room for purchasing good magazines and ammunition to work on marksmanship and weapon handling. When and if the user identifies a need or want based on the experience gained, they can add accessories or even buy another manufacturer.

Ordnance
8 December 2014, 12:46
Larue tactical. All others need not apply.

GA Precision, JP Enterprises, KAC, and boutique companies like Specialized Dynamics would disagree... I'm one of the few that has no issues saying he builds nice rifles but he is not the end all be all despite what Mark's over inflated ego thinks. His Customer Service is great until you question him and then he goes full retard. I'll put up any of the 4 I mentioned against any of Mark's offerings any day of the week.

Ride4frnt
8 December 2014, 13:03
GA Precision, JP Enterprises, KAC, and boutique companies like Specialized Dynamics would disagree... I'm one of the few that has no issues saying he builds nice rifles but he is not the end all be all despite what Mark's over inflated ego thinks. His Customer Service is great until you question him and then he goes full retard. I'll put up any of the 4 I mentioned against any of Mark's offerings any day of the week.

I was making a typical ARF reply

toolboxluis00200
8 December 2014, 13:43
it use to be spike but they stop bing spike a few years ago so I only go to buy small part abd that is it

eldogg
8 December 2014, 14:11
Been hearing a lot of good things about Sionics but have yet to get my hands on one. Their barrels look to be very nice for the price.

i'm REAL happy with my 11.5 upper!

Ordnance
8 December 2014, 14:30

LMAO... Thank God! Sorry dude, it's hard to detect sarcasm/humor in text sometimes. As you can tell... I'm not a fan of Mark.

voodoo_man
8 December 2014, 14:39
I am not voting because I have AR's and AR parts from nearly all of those companies.

tim716
8 December 2014, 17:27
Favorite receivers would have to be Seekins/Northtech Defense

Ordnance
8 December 2014, 17:28
I am not voting because I have AR's and AR parts from nearly all of those companies.

Way to ride the pine... lol

camomike
8 December 2014, 18:02

Don't you mean LaRue or GTFO noob?

GOST
8 December 2014, 18:05
Don't you mean LaRue or GTFO noob?

You meant 13er.

LMMzach
8 December 2014, 18:16
I'm on the only built list I love my north tech set its beautiful. I just received my joebob Spartan set in the mail that I ordered for a steal on Black Friday with smooth operator upper and I'm pretty impressed with the machine job. Also it has a screw for the rear spring and detent for the take down pin I thought that was really cool.

SGT.G
8 December 2014, 19:46
Noveske, LaRue, Rock River are my top 3.

JHoward
8 December 2014, 20:01
This thread has solidified my decision for Mega as my next lower.

GOST
9 December 2014, 02:45

They're a great choice. Their lowers have one of the best fit and finishes.

JGifford
9 December 2014, 02:59

MEGA has the most advanced and precise machining capabilities regarding uppers and lowers. They are a solid choice. IMO, the best choice. At any price-point, when comparing similar featured items to each other.

voodoo_man
9 December 2014, 04:02
Way to ride the pine... lol

This is what I get for being honest...

GOST
9 December 2014, 04:55
He says you're riding the pine because the majority of us are using parts from either all or the majority of the manufacturers listed.

Ordnance
9 December 2014, 11:22

I voted for myself, but I use Mega almost exclusively because of their quality and the fact it's a local company for me.

This is what I get for being honest...

Lol... [pop]

UWone77
9 December 2014, 11:53

[:D]

Speaking of LaRue, what I don't get is their Costa gun. $2900 for nothing special IMHO. They claim the barrel life on the gun is 10k rounds... then go on to pin and weld a Surefire SOCOM brake on it.

Seems like if the barrel life is so short, you'd want to go with a 16" so you could at least salvage the brake.

Ordnance
9 December 2014, 12:13

Speaking of LaRue, what I don't get is their Costa gun. $2900 for nothing special IMHO. They claim the barrel life on the gun is 10k rounds... then go on to pin and weld a Surefire SOCOM brake on it.

Seems like if the barrel life is so short, you'd want to go with a 16" so you could at least salvage the brake.

But it's got Chris Costa's endorsement... duh... don't be jealous...

Tyrannosaur
9 December 2014, 12:19
I would do LWRC... And unleash the hounds

GOST
9 December 2014, 15:20

Funniest part is when is the last time you've seen a pic of him with this rifle. Every pic I've seen posted of someone attending one of his classes shows him with either a WarSport or a KAC.

SpydrMan
9 December 2014, 17:38
My first was a Colt 6920 and it's been a great gun. I'm finishing a Spikes build and thus far I've been happy with them as well. If I build another BCM and Mega have excellent reputations so it would probably be a choice between those two.

Thompson
9 December 2014, 17:42

I mean, couldn't you say the same about the Jack Carbine - for all intents and purposes? I'm sure people that get the Jack and the Costa for the same reason - the name they (respectively) bear/rollmark.

Funniest part is when is the last time you've seen a pic of him with this rifle. Every pic I've seen posted of someone attending one of his classes shows him with either a WarSport or a KAC.
Does he still run that Multicam AR? I've seem it in some of his pictures from time to time.

You are forgetting his pistol - remember when he was all about his M&P? Now everything seems to be Glock.

JGifford
9 December 2014, 18:12

Costa/Haley/Lamb, those guys are consulted by companies to "put togather the gun they would run". They are then given a gun and maybe some royalties and their name goes on the pile of parts and assembly specs that they spec. The other side of the coin is that maybe this shooter wants something that said company makes (say, if they want a Noveske poly barrel), they go to said company, and trade their name for the gun and spec it out.

It's just like people do on here. They build a weapon how they want, talk about it for 6 months to a year, and then build something else. Nothing at all wrong with it, but it doesn't make it "Excaliber", either. It's just what one person wanted at one time to fill whatever role, and they have the horsepower and pull to get a manufacturer to put it together for them vs. building it in their garage. In turn, a profit opportunity exists, and a "special model" is put out.

GOST
12 December 2014, 04:37
Just seems weird to me that someone would be interested in a rifle that the namesake doesn't even run in his classes. Saw where Larue just sold out of another run of them.

SINNER
12 December 2014, 06:07
I love my BCM, and it was the lower I chose to SBR, but I have to say Mega. I have a couple of their forged lowers and a billet, plus 2 billet uppers. The quality of the machining, the tolerances and the anodizing are the best I've bought.

Could not agree more about the Mega products. Tolerences on their components are hands down the best in the business. Their forged components are better tolerence wise than most billet sets I own.

GOST
12 December 2014, 06:18
Gonna get a Mega forged upper to go with my BAD-15 lower.

CarbonScoring
12 December 2014, 06:20
Gonna get a Mega forged upper to go with my BAD-15 lower.

That would be a great combination. From what I've seen, the BAD lowers are outstanding. It's way at the top of the list for my next lower.

Tyrannosaur
12 December 2014, 08:12
I want a BAD... Bad....

Jerry R
12 December 2014, 08:25
LWRC was missing - my personal favorite. Voted for Ranier - a very close second.

UWone77
12 December 2014, 08:46
I mean, couldn't you say the same about the Jack Carbine - for all intents and purposes? I'm sure people that get the Jack and the Costa for the same reason - the name they (respectively) bear/rollmark.

Does he still run that Multicam AR? I've seem it in some of his pictures from time to time.

You are forgetting his pistol - remember when he was all about his M&P? Now everything seems to be Glock.

I would expect the Jack carbine's barrel to last much longer than 10k rounds.

Roll marks do nothing for me. If you were looking for that exact configuration, I suppose the Jack Carbine is a decent deal, but I'd rather save the money and buy a BCM upper/lower that I want.

Ordnance
12 December 2014, 10:36
LWRC was missing - my personal favorite. Voted for Ranier - a very close second.

I would buy an M6IC ambi lower in a HEARTBEAT...

Stone
12 December 2014, 15:32
Another vote for LWRC since I own 3 of their rifles. My new ICA5 10.5" upper is a work of art...

MCA
13 December 2014, 08:48
No love for Daniel Defense? I've only been in the AR world for less than two years but I do love the two DD M4V3 rifles I have. Recently purchased two Colt 6920 MP-FDE rifles as well but Colt already had some votes so I had to get DD some points on the board!

GOST
13 December 2014, 10:51
Daniel Defense makes a great rifle and their customer service is top notch. They respond to you emails faster than a lot of small companies.

Uffdaphil
13 December 2014, 11:11
I consider six of the brands selling complete ARs to be of equal quality. Here are what I see as the some of the differences between them.

KAC - Best designed complete package. Proprietary bolt and price keep them out of my safe so far.
Colt - Best QC and most field tested. Last to innovate, and probably didn't feel the need to with their huge gov contracts. So cheap now that buying a complete 6920 and selling off parts not wanted makes sense for for a great budget base option if you don't feel like doing all the small part assembly.
Noveske - Top shelf all the way and you pay for it. Love the chainsaw options. Hate paying the Iron Cross premium.
Daniel Defense - Excellent complete rifles and URGs. Medium slow to innovate, don't sell separate lowers and a bit overpriced in my book.
LMT - Most like Colt in their basic Defender line. MRP piston line with quick change barrel system is unique, but expensive. Too lazy to check, but I think they are heavy and I would rather have multiple guns than barrels. But a great option for a dual-purpose CQB/longer range platform.
BCM - Comparable in quality to all of the above. Widest selection of configurations from stripped components to complete rifles. Industry leading innovators.

So while Bravo got my vote I like all these companies and have components from all of them. I didn't list Mega and Ranier as I don't really consider them having a track record as complete weapons manufacturers yet. Big respect for Raniers A5 buffer system and match barrels and for Mega's upper/lower combos and my favorite forged Gator lowers.

FN does not belong on ballot as they just entered the commercial market.

GOST
13 December 2014, 11:18
Putting FN on the ballot was easier than listing all the companies they make barrels for. They've been making barrels for the commercial market for a while now.

Uffdaphil
13 December 2014, 15:36
I hope I didn't sound like I was disparaging FN. They are a proven supplier of high quality. Just meant that they are new to the civvy complete AR market.

GOST
13 December 2014, 16:03
I know what you meant, I didn't think that you were; and you are correct about them being new to the complete AR market.

VIPER 237
13 December 2014, 23:50

Joint force enterprises posted on their Facebook page a picture of his Warsport they did in multicam. The multicam one he ran for a couple of years was a BCM 12.5 iirc which JFE also did.

domestique
14 December 2014, 02:46
Facotry Lowers:

KAC lowers for SBR'd rifles: Love the ambi controls, and roll marks.
BCM for non-sbr rifles
Aero lower for pistol builds

Factory Uppers:
BCM (cheap and they work)
LMT MRP uppers (love being able to go from a 10.5" 300 BLK, to a 14.5" 5.56, to a 12" 5.56 piston and then back again).

Lower Parts Kits:
Daniel Defense

Triggers:
Geissele SD-C or SD-E depending on application

Thompson
14 December 2014, 07:24
Joint force enterprises posted on their Facebook page a picture of his Warsport they did in multicam. The multicam one he ran for a couple of years was a BCM 12.5 iirc which JFE also did.
Yep - saw that too.

Former11B
14 December 2014, 16:36
My ARs are all frankenguns but the brand name with the highest population, especially on my favorite AR, is Rainier Arms.