PDA

View Full Version : AAC Honey Badger is Coming to Market

GOST
10 December 2014, 04:37
From www.gearscout.com

Remington Outdoor Company Tactical Accessories Director Jeff Still and Senior Product Manager for silencers, Carlos Martinez confirmed Advanced Armament will bring the Honey Badger to the commercial market. They hinted at a release around the 2015 NRA annual show, but didn’t offer a price or an exact configuration. They did show the semi-auto version of the 300 AAC Blackout carbine shown above with AAC’s new Squaredrop handguard, though. The new handguard attaches to the barrel nut using a turnbuckle.

http://2vyl0i2veiai1uu9bv3ai7wj.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/16/2014/12/120614-OFF-Honey-Badger-1024x618.jpg

http://2vyl0i2veiai1uu9bv3ai7wj.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/16/2014/12/IMG_0096.jpg

The below is the new Squaredop which is Keymod compatible.

http://2vyl0i2veiai1uu9bv3ai7wj.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/16/2014/12/IMG_0097.jpg

http://gearscout.militarytimes.com/2014/12/06/aacs-honey-badger-is-coming-to-market/#prettyPhoto

GOST
10 December 2014, 04:45
I wonder if this stock will be available separate? I like the looks of the cheek weld better than the NEA/Troy offerings.

bzdog
10 December 2014, 05:22
I thought I saw a comment where someone suggested there was no buffer tube. The photos suggest integration with the upper. I'm guessing you'd need the whole upper.

That said, I'd love me a HB upper on top of an SBR'd AX556. I even have one lower left that I haven't built out..... hmmmm....

-john

voodoo_man
10 December 2014, 06:12
a hundred years later....

tlw613sp
12 December 2014, 20:28
I'm pretty sure the Honey Badger is modified to be bufferless

JoshAston
17 December 2014, 08:10
I'm pretty sure the Honey Badger is modified to be bufferless

Buffer is probably integrated into the bolt carrier like it is in the NEA and Troy PDW stocks

Kopis
17 December 2014, 13:32
Buffer is probably integrated into the bolt carrier like it is in the NEA and Troy PDW stocks

^ this. My NEA gas key is poorly staked though. hopefully it holds up. Overall, im not impressed with my NEA but i do love it. It does exactly what i wanted.

release button was rusted out of the box
gas key is staked horrendously
the BCG has machining lines on it. Ive never seen those on a bolt before. good/bad? i have no idea.
roll pin that holds the rear stock plate on fell out (found it luckily)
finish is just terrible. It's like a dark gray that doesnt even remotely match most of the generic blacks so i had to have the whole gun cerakoted.

honeybadger looks sick!

tact
19 December 2014, 03:47
^ this. My NEA gas key is poorly staked though. hopefully it holds up. Overall, im not impressed with my NEA but i do love it. It does exactly what i wanted.

release button was rusted out of the box
gas key is staked horrendously
the BCG has machining lines on it. Ive never seen those on a bolt before. good/bad? i have no idea.
roll pin that holds the rear stock plate on fell out (found it luckily)
finish is just terrible. It's like a dark gray that doesnt even remotely match most of the generic blacks so i had to have the whole gun cerakoted.

honeybadger looks sick!

The MVB industries ARC stock is a much better stock than the NEA and only 399. It also works with piston and DI.

M. Gale
19 December 2014, 21:05
I can't see the market for it. A two stamp carbine is going to be a hard sell.

GOST
19 December 2014, 21:26
The market will most likely not be that big for the Honey Badger, but the market for it's components could be huge. This may be a launching point for their receivers, hand guards and stock.

JoshAston
19 December 2014, 22:46
I can't see the market for it. A two stamp carbine is going to be a hard sell.

Unless they redesigned it, it's three stamps.

GOST
20 December 2014, 03:11
Unless they redesigned it, it's three stamps.

In the picture of the new one the third pin hole does not appear to be drilled out.

JoshAston
20 December 2014, 08:34
In the picture of the new one the third pin hole does not appear to be drilled out.

That would negate the SBR stamp and make it illegal for mere mortals. I was referring to the integral suppressor though. SBR and two suppressor stamps.

GOST
20 December 2014, 14:44
That would negate the SBR stamp and make it illegal for mere mortals. I was referring to the integral suppressor though. SBR and two suppressor stamps.

I'm confused, why does it need 3 stamps instead of 2? I thought it was either integrally suppressed or detachable, didn't know it could be both? I know the Daniel Defense ISR is integrally suppressed, but it's also over 16" and only needs 1 stamp. I thought the Honey Badger's can was detachable?

GOST
20 December 2014, 14:50
Even if the Honey Badger is integrally suppressed wouldn't you still need 2 stamps? 1 for it being under 16" and 1 for it being suppressed?

tact
20 December 2014, 14:55
Just two not three.

JoshAston
21 December 2014, 03:09
I'm confused, why does it need 3 stamps instead of 2? I thought it was either integrally suppressed or detachable, didn't know it could be both? I know the Daniel Defense ISR is integrally suppressed, but it's also over 16" and only needs 1 stamp. I thought the Honey Badger's can was detachable?

Integral suppressor under the handguard and a detachable one at the muzzle. It has (or had) two suppressors.

GOST
21 December 2014, 03:59
Integral suppressor under the handguard and a detachable one at the muzzle. It has (or had) two suppressors.

Still confused cause I figured that integrally suppressed meant that the suppressor was built into the barrel. I don't understand how the suppressor can be detachable and at the same time be a permanent built in part of the barrel. All the specifications I've read on the Honey Badger says that it has a 6" barrel with a detachable suppressor that is mostly covered by the handguard. Do you have a link on this integral/detachable suppressor?

GOST
21 December 2014, 04:05
This the only pic of the Honey Badger's 6" barrel I could find. I don't see any integral suppression built into it.

http://truthaboutguns-zippykid.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/P1050686r-1024x723.jpg

JoshAston
21 December 2014, 04:17
Still confused cause I figured that integrally suppressed meant that the suppressor was built into the barrel. I don't understand how the suppressor can be detachable and at the same time be a permanent built in part of the barrel. All the specifications I've read on the Honey Badger says that it has a 6" barrel with a detachable suppressor that is mostly covered by the handguard. Do you have a link on this integral/detachable suppressor?

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-658669.html

AAC was saying it had two suppressors. One underneath the handguard and the one mounted at the muzzle. They may have removed the integral suppressor in more recent designs, I don't know.

JoshAston
21 December 2014, 04:18
This the only pic of the Honey Badger's 6" barrel I could find. I don't see any integral suppression built into it.

http://truthaboutguns-zippykid.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/P1050686r-1024x723.jpg

I'm more interested by the gun in the background?

JoshAston
21 December 2014, 04:24
I'm also working on a three stamp .300 BLK. I'm going to cut a muzzle brake into the barrel right behind the threads, and endcap will be held on by the muzzle device. The tube will fit between the endcap and a custom barrel nut. Custom gas block will round it out. Muzzle device will be a QD suppressor mount.

GOST
21 December 2014, 05:07
http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-658669.html

AAC was saying it had two suppressors. One underneath the handguard and the one mounted at the muzzle. They may have removed the integral suppressor in more recent designs, I don't know.
Thanks for the link. If this thing is still 3 stamps it'll be a hard sell with the Sig MCX on the horizon.

GOST
21 December 2014, 05:08
I'm also working on a three stamp .300 BLK. I'm going to cut a muzzle brake into the barrel right behind the threads, and endcap will be held on by the muzzle device. The tube will fit between the endcap and a custom barrel nut. Custom gas block will round it out. Muzzle device will be a QD suppressor mount.

You need to start a thread and show pics of this thing.

M. Gale
21 December 2014, 10:12
You need to start a thread and show pics of this thing.

Agreed...

I think MP5SD when I hear integrally suppressed. I'm not sure you could scavenge enough gas at the gas block to cycle the weapon if the barrel was ported behind it. Not to mention that "first stage" suppressor would be subjected to some serious pressure.