PDA

View Full Version : How to convert RAW/DNG into Hi-Res JPEG

Ordnance
10 December 2014, 19:21
This might be the wrong place to ask, so if it needs move I apologize. I have a basic question and Google is just telling me to go f@#k myself. If I have a high resolution photo on Photoshop, how do I save it as a JPEG and not lose it? When I save it as a DNG it's 10mb, but when I convert it to a JPEG it drops to 1.5MB. I have basic Photoshop Elements 7 if that helps.

Ride4frnt
10 December 2014, 19:32
Do raw images open in elements? I know in CS5 raw images open in camera raw, a different application. You tweak them in camera raw then they open in Photoshop and you do what you will, then save as JPEG.

Gaspipeshooter
10 December 2014, 19:35
When you do "Save as" and selecting JPEG it is saving it at the 1.5 MB? What about .PNG?

Ride4frnt
10 December 2014, 19:36
Also, and I'm far from an expert on photography, but if you have the storage space, you should save yourself a personal copy in TIFF. TIFF won't display online, so you'll need a JPEG for that, but a JPEG degrades (albeit very tiny bits) every time you open it. TIFF is high quality lossless compression, great for printing.

Ordnance
10 December 2014, 20:28
After you open it in the RAW format it allows you to open it in Photoshop as what I assume is a PSD. Once you're done editing you can save it as I can save it as a PSD which for a photo I just did is 10mb, but then unless someone has a way of reading it then I have to save a copy as a JPEG which it only saves as 1.5MB. I'll see what happens if I save it as a TIFF...

Ordnance
10 December 2014, 20:31
When I save it as a PNG it converts the JPEG to 2.5MB which is slightly better. When I save it as a TIFF though it's 13.1MB

CarbonScoring
10 December 2014, 20:53
What exactly are you trying to do? JPG is a lossy format; it uses compression. You lose quality. This is why the files size drops so much. Also, the RAW files are 12-bit and JPG is only 8-bit. Personally, I would only output a JPG for uploading to the internet, and save the original RAW on my HDD.

Also, your camera can probably record both a RAW and JPG file together. This way you have the RAW for posterity, and a JPG you can work with, if that's your thing.

Ordnance
10 December 2014, 21:05
What exactly are you trying to do? JPG is a lossy format; it uses compression. You lose quality. This is why the files size drops so much. Also, the RAW files are 12-bit and JPG is only 8-bit. Personally, I would only output a JPG for uploading to the internet, and save the original RAW on my HDD.

Also, your camera can probably record both a RAW and JPG file together. This way you have the RAW for posterity, and a JPG you can work with, if that's your thing.

I can't edit it the way I do in RAW though. I guess I'm confused. I'll see if it lets me save it RAW or is a PSD or TIFF file just as good?

Thompson
10 December 2014, 21:13
Take note though, if you do go this route, make sure you've got a decent size SD card; I'd recommend no smaller than 8GB - especially if you plan to take a lot of shots in one sitting. RAW files can be really hefty ... they tend to add up quick. Depending on what your camera is/where you want to go, I know that getting towards the higher end camera bodies, some tend to have dual SD card slots. Why? So in the case of wanting to take RAW and JPG files, you can actually store each file type on separate cards.

I can't edit it the way I do in RAW though. I guess I'm confused. I'll see if it lets me save it RAW or is a PSD or TIFF file just as good?
That's the thing though with JPEG - you can't edit it (... well you can, just very rudimentary stuff like exposure/lighting). Once you take the picture, the camera compresses it - in a way that you lose all that data to work with and manipulate (at least that's how I understand it). RAW on the other hand, remains untouched by the camera - leaving it up to the user to manipulate it at their discretion

CarbonScoring
11 December 2014, 01:31

You can't save a RAW file. Both PSD and TIFF are uncompressed file types though, so you won't lose quality if you save one of those.

When you edit a RAW file in Camera RAW (and other RAW editing suites), and them import them into Photoshop, you are baking in the changes you made in the raw editor. Once you commit to those changes you are stuck with them unless you re-process the RAW file.

Using a program like Lightroom, you can process your RAW files and all that is save is a series of instructions on how the RAW file was processed. The changes are only made permanent when you export to a new file.

Ordnance
11 December 2014, 09:47
I wish I would have known this awhile back. I'll start saving them as TIFF and PSD then as I can always save a copy in JPEG for posting online.

CarbonScoring
11 December 2014, 19:42
If you're looking for a freeware RAW converter, check out RAW Therapee (http://rawtherapee.com/). I've only briefly used it, but it seems decent.