PDA

View Full Version : help me choose

toolboxluis00200
11 December 2014, 16:32
i decided not to get a suppressor
#1 whit all the crap that has bin going on i decided to spend the money on a few parts and ammo and buy or build a new upper
#2 it looks like SHTF is going to happen soon i now i now i am jumping the gun but i better be safe than sorry
#3 if it dose happen how the hell am i going to get my suppressor that is a $800 investment that money it took me at list 2 years to save i can use it on other stuff

XACT_ABORT
11 December 2014, 16:40
I think you should buy a Factory Five Cobra kit, and start building.. I can't afford it and it's on my bucket list..

XACT_ABORT
11 December 2014, 16:41
Or were you talking a rifle?:)

Ride4frnt
11 December 2014, 16:45
Mk12 with a can

XACT_ABORT
11 December 2014, 16:47
Surprised you didn't recommend LaRue Ride...

Ride4frnt
11 December 2014, 16:49

Take back my original statement. 18" larue predatOBR 762

toolboxluis00200
11 December 2014, 16:50
I think you should buy a Factory Five Cobra kit, and start building.. I can't afford it and it's on my bucket list..

i had to look that up lol i wish i can do that

XACT_ABORT
11 December 2014, 16:50
Sorry Luis... Taptalk doesn't show polls, my apologies for derailing with smart ass Cobra comments.. Totally digging a 9mm build. Probably won't build one. But we're talking about your money after all.

XACT_ABORT
11 December 2014, 16:52
Haha... There it is..

toolboxluis00200
11 December 2014, 16:52
Mk12 with a can

is that the 308 upper ///

toolboxluis00200
11 December 2014, 16:53
Sorry Luis... Taptalk doesn't show polls, my apologies for derailing with smart ass Cobra comments.. Totally digging a 9mm build. Probably won't build one. But we're talking about your money after all.

its cool i like ppl opinions it helps me look at all angles to see what to do

Ride4frnt
11 December 2014, 16:55
If I'm voting on the poll, I say 5.56 can

toolboxluis00200
11 December 2014, 16:55

dont get me wrrong love to have a 308 but i want to keep it in 5.56 i dont want to spend the money on new mags and on a different caliber

XACT_ABORT
11 December 2014, 16:56
its cool i like ppl opinions it helps me look at all angles to see what to do

All three are intriguing options, I made a New Years resolution early for 2015.. Going to buy a can, I'll probably start with a .22 though. My 22/45 is pretty much begging for one.

XACT_ABORT
11 December 2014, 16:59
If I'm voting on the poll, I say 5.56 can

I'm digging the flexibility of the 7.62 cans... At least in my initial research. Seems like the best bang for the buck given the multi-caliber options.

Ride4frnt
11 December 2014, 17:00
All three are intriguing options, I made a New Years resolution early for 2015.. Going to buy a can, I'll probably start with a .22 though. My 22/45 is pretty much begging for one.

Everyone with their .22 cans and I'm over here with only one .22lr gun, a lever action Henry golden boy. Which admittedly would be cool as shit with a can.

And we think alike. When I get into the suppressor arena it will be a saker 762 or SDN-6

XACT_ABORT
11 December 2014, 17:05
Everyone with their .22 cans and I'm over here with only one .22lr gun, a lever action Henry golden boy. Which admittedly would be cool as shit with a can.

And we think alike. When I get into the suppressor arena it will be a saker 762 or SDN-6

A can on the Henry would indeed be cool. And both of those 7.62 cans are bad ass. Particularly as far as size/packaging. My wallet says it might be able to justify the Specwar though.

Ride4frnt
11 December 2014, 17:08
A can on the Henry would indeed be cool. And both of those 7.62 cans are bad ass. Particularly as far as size/packaging. My wallet says it might be able to justify the Specwar though.

Yes. Specwar is on my radar too. Luis, forgive us for mentioning 7.62 cans.

toolboxluis00200
11 December 2014, 17:11

no no no is ok

WHSmithIV
11 December 2014, 17:13
My choice would be to build the upper. I'd deal with a suppressor later and darn sure set up a trust for getting one. Suppressors are 4½-6" long. I will specifically design the gun that I build to have one. Think of that suppressor as added barrel length.

toolboxluis00200
11 December 2014, 17:14

i have a Gemtech outbackII on my GSG 1911 man that is cool to shoot

XACT_ABORT
11 December 2014, 17:15

Yeah sorry Luis, it's not a specifically listed option. But speaking for myself I would to a 7.62 can for 5.56 just because I cold go bigger if I wanted to.

iowa hawkeyes
11 December 2014, 17:19
We can't have any of that scary stuff in Iowa :(
I voted for the upper

XACT_ABORT
11 December 2014, 17:21
i have a Gemtech outbackII on my GSG 1911 man that is cool to shoot

I'll check it out, wasn't on my radar but the price point is nice. My class III pusher has a pretty heavy Silencerco bias so he has given me the sales pitch on their stuff when I have been in picking up other toys. I was thinking Sparrow based on having handled it, seems like a good unit but I'm certainly open to other options.

toolboxluis00200
11 December 2014, 17:26
I'll check it out, wasn't on my radar but the price point is nice. My class III pusher has a pretty heavy Silencerco bias so he has given me the sales pitch on their stuff when I have been in picking up other toys. I was thinking Sparrow based on having handled it, seems like a good unit but I'm certainly open to other options.

oh no don't get me wrong Gemtech CS suck balls so i will never buy from them get the Saprrow much better suppressor plus you can take it apart and clean it

toolboxluis00200
11 December 2014, 17:28
Yeah sorry Luis, it's not a specifically listed option. But speaking for myself I would to a 7.62 can for 5.56 just because I cold go bigger if I wanted to.

i am not planing on any .30cla if 300blk was closer to 5.56 price them yes i wood have jump on a 30cal suppressor

XACT_ABORT
11 December 2014, 17:30
oh no don't get me wrong Gemtech CS suck balls so i will never buy from them get the Saprrow much better suppressor plus you can take it apart and clean it

Ah ok. So since you started this thread, and I have done my part to hijack what are you leaning toward building if anything?

GOST
11 December 2014, 17:32
I'm digging the flexibility of the 7.62 cans... At least in my initial research. Seems like the best bang for the buck given the multi-caliber options.

+1 Using a 7.62 can on a 5.56 is on average only an increase of 4 decibels over a 5.56 can. Then you can start saving for an AR-10 build and use the can on it also.

toolboxluis00200
11 December 2014, 17:32
My choice would be to build the upper. I'd deal with a suppressor later and darn sure set up a trust for getting one. Suppressors are 4½-6" long. I will specifically design the gun that I build to have one. Think of that suppressor as added barrel length.

i all ready have a trust and SBR and .22lr Suppressor lol

i wish some one made a suppressor that will fit a 7.5 upper that will keep it nice and compact

toolboxluis00200
11 December 2014, 17:39
Ah ok. So since you started this thread, and I have done my part to hijack what are you leaning toward building if anything?

i have a 10.5 SBR but that is for CQB and 200 yard or less

i want a 12.5 to do 100 to 300+ yard kind of like a MINI RECCE

UWone77
11 December 2014, 17:40
Suppressor, with 41P looming, you never know when you may not be able to get one down the road.

toolboxluis00200
11 December 2014, 17:42
i forgot about the 41P BS

toolboxluis00200
11 December 2014, 18:16
my mother voted 9mm lol
i ask he as a joke and she made a good point that i mostly carry and use my hand gun not my rifle

Former11B
11 December 2014, 20:23
my mother voted 9mm lol
i ask he as a joke and she made a good point that i mostly carry and use my hand gun not my rifle

You got a holster that works in conjunction with the can, or do you just cram it in your pants?? Lol

I love shooting ARs suppressed. I understand the supersonic ammo/sonic crack isnt changed by the can but the muzzle blast is significantly reduced and shooting even an SBR becomes pleasant with a set of plugs (I hate headsets especially in the summer).

I think shooting pistols without access to decent subsonic ammo takes a lot of the fun out of it. I handload my own ammo, and the only factory ammunition in 9mm that compares to the sound level of my handloads is Fiocchi 158gr 9mm (9APE). Other factory 147gr I've tried "just to see" was loud and dirty with a lot of blowback. IF you go the 9mm suppressor route, I highly suggest to start sourcing and buying AS MUCH and then more of the Fiocchi 158gr ammo as possible.

If you go with the 5.56 can (which is my vote) I say get a quality 5.56 caliber specific can, like a SpecWar 5.56, Griffin Armament Recce 5 or M4SDII, or if you want a thread on can, check out Griffin's Spartan 3 or Innovative Arms Grunt 5.56

toolboxluis00200
11 December 2014, 21:04
You got a holster that works in conjunction with the can, or do you just cram it in your pants?? Lol

I love shooting ARs suppressed. I understand the supersonic ammo/sonic crack isnt changed by the can but the muzzle blast is significantly reduced and shooting even an SBR becomes pleasant with a set of plugs (I hate headsets especially in the summer).

I think shooting pistols without access to decent subsonic ammo takes a lot of the fun out of it. I handload my own ammo, and the only factory ammunition in 9mm that compares to the sound level of my handloads is Fiocchi 158gr 9mm (9APE). Other factory 147gr I've tried "just to see" was loud and dirty with a lot of blowback. IF you go the 9mm suppressor route, I highly suggest to start sourcing and buying AS MUCH and then more of the Fiocchi 158gr ammo as possible.

If you go with the 5.56 can (which is my vote) I say get a quality 5.56 caliber specific can, like a SpecWar 5.56, Griffin Armament Recce 5 or M4SDII, or if you want a thread on can, check out Griffin's Spartan 3 or Innovative Arms Grunt 5.56

i saw the Griffin 3 looks intestine
have you seen the Liberty Chaotic?? for $500 is tempting
if i carry my 9mm the suppressor will be in my EDC bag
the SpecWar K 5.56 just came out !!!

Former11B
12 December 2014, 00:04
i saw the Griffin 3 looks intestine

Lol

have you seen the Liberty Chaotic?? for $500 is tempting
if i carry my 9mm the suppressor will be in my EDC bag
the SpecWar K 5.56 just came out !!!

I'd only consider the K models if I had an SBR build I was trying to minimize the weight on but still wanted to dampen the muzzle blast and make it more pleasant to shoot.

I'm not a big fan of Liberty cans. The Chaotic is not ideal for your AR: it has a titanium tube yet still weighs 21oz??? Titanium in suppressors isn't the best material (tests have been done regarding heat and use in suppressors....just not ideal) and generally requires a reduced firing schedule compared to steel/inconel. And the Chaotic is a thread-on 5/8x24 can which means your AR will need an adapter for its 1/2x28 threads which is not good to do for risk of throwing off the bore alignment. And that can is TWO INCHES in diameter. Talk about a fat can....that's like an SMG suppressor diameter

toolboxluis00200
12 December 2014, 15:47
Lol

I'd only consider the K models if I had an SBR build I was trying to minimize the weight on but still wanted to dampen the muzzle blast and make it more pleasant to shoot.

I'm not a big fan of Liberty cans. The Chaotic is not ideal for your AR: it has a titanium tube yet still weighs 21oz??? Titanium in suppressors isn't the best material (tests have been done regarding heat and use in suppressors....just not ideal) and generally requires a reduced firing schedule compared to steel/inconel. And the Chaotic is a thread-on 5/8x24 can which means your AR will need an adapter for its 1/2x28 threads which is not good to do for risk of throwing off the bore alignment. And that can is TWO INCHES in diameter. Talk about a fat can....that's like an SMG suppressor diameter

ok no TI suppressors then lol

din
12 December 2014, 20:53
Give in, bro, turn to the 300 BLK-side! 8" upper and if you get a 7.62 can you can use it on both guns. Same mags, same bolt, just a different barrel. Give in!

toolboxluis00200
13 December 2014, 12:12
Give in, bro, turn to the 300 BLK-side! 8" upper and if you get a 7.62 can you can use it on both guns. Same mags, same bolt, just a different barrel. Give in!

lol maybe

GOST
13 December 2014, 14:47

Sounds like a very good idea.

GaSwamper
13 December 2014, 15:03
We're talking about something as costly as buying a can. Look just SBR a 10.5" Wolverine or BLK, get a good 7.62 can and enjoy. I like the Wolvie for the range and precision of it and honestly unless you're kickin down doors subsonic doesn't have much use. But MDWS does have .300BLK 8" and 10.5" barrels right now for $100.

Former11B
13 December 2014, 16:42
lol maybe

I would recommend against getting into a caliber just because. Some things to consider before jumping into it:
Do you reload? If you don't, ammunition, subsonic and supersonic, are both expensive for 300 Blackout....if that's not an issue, that's great. Do you hunt? The 300 blackout offers much better ballistics than 5.56 for dropping a deer, but if you don't hunt then the benefit is essentially meaningless for you. If your only reason for going to the 300BLK is that it suppresses better than 5.56, you'd be better off with a dedicated .22lr upper so the "more quiet than 5.56" box would be checked.

toolboxluis00200
13 December 2014, 16:47
thank you guys for all the opinions i am looking at all angles if i dont go whit a .30 cal can i will hit the SilencerCo Specwar K 556 its only 524.00 at silencer shop

toolboxluis00200
13 December 2014, 16:54
I would recommend against getting into a caliber just because.

Do you reload? If you don't, ammunition, subsonic and supersonic, are both expensive for 300 Blackout. Do you hunt? The 300 blackout offers much better ballistics than 5.56 for dropping a deer, but if you don't hunt then the benefit is essentially meaningless for you. If your only reason for going to the 300BLK is that it suppresses better than 5.56, you'd be better off with a dedicated .22lr upper so the "more quiet than 5.56" box would be checked.

Of course, it depends on what you want and what your goals are

i do not reload and i don't hunt :( (one day i will)
and i do have a dedicated .22lr upper and a .22lr suppressor so at list that is covered :)

Former11B
13 December 2014, 16:59
thank you guys for all the opinions i am looking at all angles if i dont go whit a .30 cal can i will hit the SilencerCo Specwar K 556 its only 524.00 at silencer shop

Why the K version compared to the standard model?

toolboxluis00200
13 December 2014, 17:07
Why the K version compared to the standard model?

smaller and it is rater for 7.0 inch barrels
plus i have a back injury so if i ever decided if i want to carry some thing smaller and lighter i can slap a 7.5 upper on my SBR and if i need to suppress it the K model is there to be use

Former11B
13 December 2014, 17:57
Lol didn't know if any other reason besides smaller (K stands for Kurz...short in German).

toolboxluis00200
13 December 2014, 18:19
Lol didn't know if any other reason besides smaller (K stands for Kurz...short in German).

ok that is intrsting i did not know that

din
13 December 2014, 18:51
ok that is intrsting i did not know that

Yah, the .380 is also known as 9mm Kurz. What a difference a millimeter makes.

I'm only pushing 300 BLK because I personally have a lot more fun shooting it than 5.56. Prices on the ammo will never be as low as .223/5.56 just because of material costs, but it's been popping up for around $.50 a round, which is about as much as it costs to shoot .45 ACP. I just bought a few boxes of the new 120-grain UMC stuff but I won't get a chance to try it out for a few weeks.

Ride4frnt
13 December 2014, 19:20

I'm only pushing 300 BLK because I personally have a lot more fun shooting it than 5.56. Prices on the ammo will never be as low as .223/5.56 just because of material costs, but it's been popping up for around $.50 a round, which is about as much as it costs to shoot .45 ACP. I just bought a few boxes of the new 120-grain UMC stuff but I won't get a chance to try it out for a few weeks.

I lucked into 500rds of .300blk a few years ago for cheap at a show. Still working on shooting those. Need to get the presses setup and start cutting my 5.56 brass.

toolboxluis00200
14 December 2014, 14:51

I lucked into 500rds of .300blk a few years ago for cheap at a show. Still working on shooting those. Need to get the presses setup and start cutting my 5.56 brass.

if i had the space i will re lode the crap out of all my stuff but i don't

toolboxluis00200
21 December 2014, 19:05
http://youtu.be/CPA0QrEp648?list=UUYPQcqzNNfA6WMUHATPaXJg

Former11B
21 December 2014, 19:39
I'm a little confused. You aren't going to get a suppressor but you're going to SBR a rifle in the future, one that has to go through the same process for approval and NFA stamp? Don't get me wrong, it's your choice but the wait times are faster than they have been in years. The sooner you buy it the sooner you'll have it out of jail before (if) Anything gets crazy

Dstrbdmedic167
21 December 2014, 20:02
I'm a little confused. You aren't going to get a suppressor but you're going to SBR a rifle in the future, one that has to go through the same process for approval and NFA stamp? Don't get me wrong, it's your choice but the wait times are faster than they have been in years. The sooner you buy it the sooner you'll have it out of jail before (if) Anything gets crazy

I have to second this. I understand your thought process(sort of) but with times near 4-5 months for paper and 30-40 days with efile. Now is one of the best times.

toolboxluis00200
29 December 2014, 00:32
yes is the same proses it took 9 1/2 months to do my .22 suppressor and 10 1/2 months to do my first SBR
but it still takes 6 to 8 moths if i efile it for a suppressor but on the good note an SBR can take less that 45 day now and days :)

i am sorry for the contusion