PDA

View Full Version : An update on the Gunstruction Modern Musket

WHSmithIV
11 December 2014, 16:38
Well, as some of you know, I won that Gunstruction design competition to design the Modern Musket. Dan, the owner of Gunstruction called me yesterday. We had a nice conversation. They posted some pictures of the rifle before sending it off for it's custom camo job. So, I thought you folks might like to see it. After the camo is done they are sending it over to CIV Tactical for a blueprint and receiver accurizing. CIV Tactical will ship it to my local FFL.

So have at it - here are the pictures of this very amazing rifle so far. [:)]

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/10675553_359123064258707_5381166408282966458_n.jpg ?oh=1c8b415d16bb8b2cf57df368160d3350&oe=5513E52B&__gda__=1426112285_db2c118f72182088b7c9e6216b73ba3 2
https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10387643_359123394258674_3527917087563227864_n.jpg ?oh=890f75cb4e6f75d2ac49951cc8e07cbe&oe=5504B2D0
https://scontent-a-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10801552_359123414258672_1571518923099888273_n.jpg ?oh=a6c6f1c17cb60bb1067857c97b654017&oe=54FFF302

WHSmithIV
11 December 2014, 16:39
I just 'may' have some dust covers to give away too coming in the package that was just sent.

WHSmithIV
11 December 2014, 17:05
Here's a basic breakdown of the parts list. The design budget was $2500.

Phase 5 Weapons Systems billet lower and upper receivers
Vortex Optics Strikefire II and 3x flip to side magnifier

Voodoo Tactical 16.5" 1:7 twist barrel - rifle length gas port
Adams Arms rifle length piston system and low mass bolt carrier
ARFCOM chromed bolt
Magpul STR stock, Miad pistol grip and rifle length handguard (I agonized over that selection when I was designing it - but I would have had to sacrifice some other parts that I like a lot to stay in budget)

Troy Industries QD endplate
Phase 5 extended mag release
ALG Defense ACT trigger

and... that Allstar Tactical corckscrew flash hider.

The dust cover is a Strike Industries UDC dust cover laser engraved with the Gunstrucion logos.

The mag is a Hexmag 30 round mag. The rifle comes with 3 of them. Hexmag donated the mags. They donated mags for all 4 prizes.

Not installed yet in the pictures are 45 degree Surefire rapid transition sights for iron sights.

Phase 5 and Vortex Optics donated their parts for the competition. Some of the other companies mentioned above also donated their parts for the build. Adams Arms donated a complete piston rifle for the 2nd place prize. Gunstruction does a couple of these competitions each year. They are judged competitions, not random draw competitions. You really have to work at it to have a chance to win. I was in total shock when I won this rifle. I was sitting at my computer, told my wife "you won't believe this - I won it". She came over and hugged me and told me "Congratulations babe". It does take Gunstruction time to get all the parts together and get a winners rifle built for them, so, if any of you win a dream rifle from a Gunstruction competition just have patience. It's now 4 months since I won this rifle and it's not here yet, but it will be soon [:)]

camomike
11 December 2014, 17:17
Very nice looking piece. Congrats again. I know the anticipation must be killing you.

GaSwamper
11 December 2014, 17:33
Nice rifle and congrats on the win. Why is it I can't get gunstruction to work on my laptop though? :(

Ride4frnt
11 December 2014, 17:42
Nice rifle and congrats on the win. Why is it I can't get gunstruction to work on my laptop though? :(

Runs on some weird app. Gotta install the drivers for that app, I forget what it's called. Would've made more sense to do in flash...

GaSwamper
11 December 2014, 18:06
Runs on some weird app. Gotta install the drivers for that app, I forget what it's called. Would've made more sense to do in flash...

Yea I do all that mumbo jumbo download the driver crap but as soon as I hit run or save it just goes away.

KevinBLC
11 December 2014, 21:32
Not my cup of tea with those components, but congrats on the win!

DutyUse
11 December 2014, 22:39
Awesome rifle Will! Congratulations :D

WHSmithIV
12 December 2014, 01:10

GaSwamper - you need to load the Unity flash player first. Gunstruction works best with the Firefox web browser (yes,I have tested it). The 3D rendering needs basically all of the main processor chip in your computer to work well. So, when you open Gunstrutcun you really don't want anything other than the basics loaded. If you PM me, I'll send you step by step instruction so that you can use the tool. It is nice to play with and it does help a lot with seeing what a design in your mind will look like when it's done.

WHSmithIV
12 December 2014, 01:30
Not my cup of tea with those components, but congrats on the win!

The budget for the competition required that the Phase 5 receivers were used and the Vortex optics. The rest was up to the designer. So, the only expensive items I could have changed out would have been the barrel - it's a $300 barrel. I had to keep the design within the $2500 budget. After I won the competition I did re-design again using a free float rail. To stay in the budget I would have had to lose the Troy endplate, the low mass bolt carrier and some other parts I really wanted to have on the rifle. I'm very happy with the design. Apparently so are the folks who judged the competition because I won the competition. There was over 2500 entries.

So, this IS the Modern Musket - that was the theme of the competition [:)]

WHSmithIV
12 December 2014, 01:59
Awesome rifle Will! Congratulations :D

It's pretty amazing DutyUse. Quite honestly, I was very shocked when I won the competition. I've had to be very patient also. I won the competition back in August. It takes a lot of time to get the parts ordered, shipped etc. I'm still a bit in shock that I won the dream Modern Musket rifle. Apparently I may have some extra swag to share around.

Gunstruction is a very excellent tool for aiding with designing a gun. Dan, the owner of Gunstruction called me yesterday. We had a very nice conversation.

The box of the extra swag along with the original packing boxes of the parts and their documentation is on it's way to me now. Dan sent me the UPS tracking number.

Apparently there is going to be some nice things to share in this box. So, that is exactly what I will do.

Quite honestly, I am still in shock that my design was judged to be the Modern Musket. There were a lot of really nice designs submitted.

WHSmithIV
12 December 2014, 02:22
Very nice looking piece. Congrats again. I know the anticipation must be killing you.

Yep, the anticipation has been hurting a bit especially after having to sell my AR that I spent 1½ years building to pay bills. I've been in a bit of shock now for 4 months and still am. It was 30 years before anyone told me "thank you for serving". When I heard that, that shocked me also. I never asked to hear that and never thought I would hear it. The wife of a retired Army Warrant Officer is the lady that told me that when I was volunteering to clean up a bunch of electronics garbage and get them recycled. I damn near cried when I got back in my pickup. I'm a veteran of two services and the 2nd one I can never talk about. Don't ask.
-Will-

mustangfreek
12 December 2014, 02:27
Congrats on the new toy..

WHSmithIV
12 December 2014, 10:04

all you need to do is install the free Unity flash player for a computer. They do have apps for phones also for something like $2.

WHSmithIV
16 December 2014, 17:25
With Mike having suffered the disastrous fire to his shop - Gunstruction was sending the rifle to BDL to have the custom camo work done. Fortunately the rifle wasn't in the fire or I'd have to wait a lot longer for it. So Gunstruction is compromising The rifle is off to CIV Tactical to be completed and they will send it to me. They are buying a gift certificate for me to send it to BDL later when Mike has his shop back up so he can do the custom camo work. This is a good solution since Mike will still get the work and get payed for it. I'll get to test my rifle some before it goes to Mike.

We all want to help as much as possible Mike and get your shop back up and running. You do fantastic work BlownDeadline! I have no problem with being patient and helping.