PDA

View Full Version : Is there such a thing as "too wet"???

Gaspipeshooter
12 December 2014, 14:02
Interesting video from Vickers Tactical...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9bOT_d60LM

Ride4frnt
12 December 2014, 15:05
Someone is gonna take it the wrong way, so I guess it will just be me. No it is not such a thing to be too wet.

Pun intended.

alamo5000
12 December 2014, 17:16
For immediate testing like they did it won't be a problem for immediate use... yes the gun will function fine but you will get that crap on everything. Just haul your gun around in a bucket of motor oil.

Over time though many liquid based lubricants will have evaporation. I've had guns that I have cleaned with stuff like ProShot or CLP that after the guns sit for a while they develop a 'film' on them that is actually quite sticky.

The notion of instant dunking isn't really in question. Aside from making a mess with a really wet gun this part isn't a problem. But if those guys dunked those guns then put them even in a closet (especially in a dry environment) (think Arizona) for a month.... then come back and try it and tell me what the firearm looks and performs like. Particularly it matters with lighter liquid based lubes. I don't know if motor oil qualifies.

FortTom
12 December 2014, 17:20
I call bullshit! I don't care if the company he works for gives him a hat with Daniel Defense on the front! First, the video was almost childish, if you listen to them, in their taunting way about under lubing. Then they pour a gallon of oil in with the weapons and within 15 seconds are yammering about "oh no, the sand and dust". I have a better test. Let him lube that gun like that and drag it through the desert, for say, two weeks at a time. See how much shit accumulates in their weapon. I could go on and on, but I don't have a hat that says DD on the front. Second, there are a great many variables, that would take a thorough and thoughtful debate to work through the many possibilities. The fact that they performed this in such a clownish manner, and in 3 minutes totally negates any respect I would ever have concerning anything else they say.

I would expect such a , for lack of a better word, impish "demonstration" on one of the "big" AR sites, for Kool-Aid drinkers and armchair commando's.

Love,

FT

alamo5000
12 December 2014, 17:28
I call bullshit! .....Then they pour a gallon of oil in with the weapons and within 15 seconds are yammering about "oh no, the sand and dust". I have a better test. Let him lube that gun like that and drag it through the desert, for say, two weeks at a time. See how much shit accumulates in their weapon.

^^^THIS^^^

GOST
12 December 2014, 17:38
Someone is gonna take it the wrong way, so I guess it will just be me. No it is not such a thing to be too wet.

Pun intended.

+1

GOST
12 December 2014, 17:57
The video says that they don't recommend anyone lubing their rifle that way. They also said to not to under lube your gun, and to consider the conditions of environment. I will admit the video was extreme but I didn't get from the video that they were recommending that you soak your rifle with lube and drag it through the desert. What I got from the video was lube your rifle before you show up for a class.

JHoward
12 December 2014, 18:00
Sand and dust is going to stick anyway... It may as well be lubricated sand and dust.

GOST
12 December 2014, 18:04
A video on how to properly lube your rifle would be better, but no one would watch it. I wouldn't have watched it, but I wanted to see what was making FT so mad.

FortTom
12 December 2014, 18:09
Sand and dust is going to stick anyway... It may as well be lubricated sand and dust. No, it will be concrete..... should your weapon be lubricated, yes. Dipping weapons in a gallon of oil and declaring instantly (where ever the hell they were)d in 15 seconds that the sand and dust were taking their toll, is something I would expect from your average you tube boob. Not folks who should know better. However, I suppose it's not necessary to know how to repair a transmission, to sell cars, so I guess they can get by with dufuss type shit like that video.

With more love,

FT/

GOST
12 December 2014, 18:11
I would expect such a , for lack of a better word, impish "demonstration" on one of the "big" AR sites, for Kool-Aid drinkers and armchair commando's.

Love,

FT

I'm more of a lawn chair commando. And no I do not endorse Vickers, I'm more of a Kyle Defoor fan. But I do thank Vickers for his service. From lawn chairs all around the world, we love you FT.[BD]

FortTom
12 December 2014, 18:18
A video on how to properly lube your rifle would be better, but no one would watch it. I wouldn't have watched it, but I wanted to see what was making FT so mad.

No hate here, I ended "with Love"...... and unicorns and butterfly's and liitle kittens. (fresh off the grill) So, don't piss me off GOST, or I'll get mad..:mad:

Not only was that video absolutely stupid, and if they would like to debate the point I will. Do you realize what could happen if you run a barrel thoroughly soaked with oil, and run a grove filling projectile down the barrel at 2700 fps, what could happen?

Can you say Kaboom! and in a major way? New guys come here and say "hey I didn't know much when I came, but I'm learning". Then see dumb and dumbass pull some stupid, pointless and moronic crap like that? Would you like to hear that a guy/gal new to shooting duplicated what they thought "experts" did, had part of their barrel imbedded in their heads? Not me.

I expect to see dumb crap like that on You Boob, I see folks hammering together their AR's with a hammer and nail punch, but I definitely don't expect to see stupidity from a major manufacturer.

That's all I am trying to say.

GOST
12 December 2014, 18:24
Are you saying you didn't like the video?[BD]

GOST
12 December 2014, 18:25
And FT.... Thank you for your service!

JHoward
12 December 2014, 19:00
I'm not sure what you're getting at, but I am talking about a rifle that is actually used, in the sand and dust. I cleaned my rifle as often as possible, but mainly, I just kept it lubed with CLP, back in 05... Never had a single issue, and that was a dirty rifle at times. No concrete.

FortTom
12 December 2014, 19:13
I'm not sure what you're getting at, but I am talking about a rifle that is actually used, in the sand and dust. I cleaned my rifle as often as possible, but mainly, I just kept it lubed with CLP, back in 05... Never had a single issue, and that was a dirty rifle at times. No concrete.
I think you're late for the party. Watch the video. we're talking about a gallon of oil, and yes, I understand that a proper lubrication job on your weapon will not turn to concrete. Maybe join in the discussion from the beginning, not the end...[:D]

JHoward
12 December 2014, 19:28
Cute.

MonkeyBomb
12 December 2014, 20:08
Remember like most things in life. Lubrication is the key to everything. :P

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/rolling.gif (http://www.sherv.net/)

Former11B
12 December 2014, 20:33
Reminds me of the pot stirring Vickers did on M4C regarding PMags vs USGI-type mags. Misinformation at its finest from an industry "pro"

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?145532-Now-is-the-time-to-stockpile-magazines

GOST
12 December 2014, 20:39
I think you're late for the party. Watch the video. we're talking about a gallon of oil, and yes, I understand that a proper lubrication job on your weapon will not turn to concrete. Maybe join in the discussion from the beginning, not the end...[:D]

FT what he is referring to is that they say at the end of the video that they do NOT recommend that anyone lube their guns in that manner. That they just did it in the video to show that the guns would still fire. They also said to consider your environment like you had mentioned about being in the desert. FT you don't have to get it all out tonight, you have all next year to prove your more commando than Vickers.[:D]

GOST
12 December 2014, 20:47
FT you know JHoward wasn't saying it was a good idea to give your rifle a motor oil bath.

alamo5000
13 December 2014, 07:00
Gun care is an ongoing process not an event.

CK 187
13 December 2014, 07:32
Reminds me of the pot stirring Vickers did on M4C regarding PMags vs USGI-type mags. Misinformation at its finest from an industry "pro"

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?145532-Now-is-the-time-to-stockpile-magazines

I remember that. There was another one about Glock mags too. Basically stating that plastic won't last.

Bullshit

FortTom
13 December 2014, 12:24
FT you know JHoward wasn't saying it was a good idea to give your rifle a motor oil bath.
Nobody busted JHoward's balls. He just needed some context before he posted that cleaning his rifle didn't result in concrete. Many people will read the last post or two, especially in really long threads, and reply with something totally out of left field. Now he has some context and posted accordingly. Secondly, sand and dust or not, an excessive amount of oil in a barrel can cause a barrel to blow apart in your face. A very bad example from the folks of Vickers, they should know better than that, period. If they don't then Vickers needs to lose the goober who thought that it would be a good idea to do such a thing, when a possibly new guy or gal might think "well, they're pro's, so this should be alright to do" and seriously harm themselves, kill themselves or others. The whole thing was all about how stupid their freaking video was, not how much sand and oil it takes to make a concrete. So, if you want to moderate a post, post what's on your mind, not mine or JHowards.[:D]

Thanks,

FT

FortTom
13 December 2014, 12:26
I remember that. There was another one about Glock mags too. Basically stating that plastic won't last.

Bullshit

Exactly.

GOST
13 December 2014, 14:43
Apparently your idea of busting a guys balls and mine are a lot different.

FortTom
13 December 2014, 14:53
Apparently your idea of busting a guys balls and mine are a lot different.
O.K. GOST you can calm down now. I swear I don't want to bust your balls. Not with a stick, not with a BB gun, not with a 10 foot pole, and definitely not with anything connected to my body, so your balls are safe. If possible, and I could afford it, I'd have an armed operator stand over you while you sleep, to protect you from busted balls. Upon waking you can then inspect your balls, ensuring they haven't been busted, and submit a form 8331F (National Testicle Wellness Report) each day, to make sure said operators are protecting your balls, as required by their employment contract.[BD]

LMMzach
13 December 2014, 17:12
On the plus side video production was on point. Did you see those slow mo oil dripping shots! Lol

six8
13 December 2014, 18:30
They were being sarcastic about the sand and dirt sticking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ksenter
13 December 2014, 20:22
happy to see I'm not the only one that thinks Vickers is a bit cheesy in his videos, regardless of his credentials. Just seems a bit outlandish. Mostly, good information and fun to watch, just a bit of a stretch most the time.

Gaspipeshooter
14 December 2014, 03:20
O.K. GOST you can calm down now. I swear I don't want to bust your balls. Not with a stick, not with a BB gun, not with a 10 foot pole, and definitely not with anything connected to my body, so your balls are safe. If possible, and I could afford it, I'd have an armed operator stand over you while you sleep, to protect you from busted balls. Upon waking you can then inspect your balls, ensuring they haven't been busted, and submit a form 8331F (National Testicle Wellness Report) each day, to make sure said operators are protecting your balls, as required by their employment contract.[BD]

LMAO @ FT ^^^ !!!