PDA

View Full Version : 18" Coyote Rifle

Computalotapus
20 December 2014, 08:36
Well parts for my Uncle's rifle will start trickling in. He lives in Alabama and after our recent trip down he got to handle my NTD build. He wants something basic to shoot coyotes and pigs will. Doing a simple 18" Mid length gas build for him, nothing fancy.

Parts List

MasDefense Slick Side Blem Upper Receiver
MasDefense 18" Stainless Steel Midlength Gas Barrel (low pro gas block and gas tube)
Strike Industries 13" Keymod Rail
Standard A2 Flash Hider
Standard Charging Handle
Ares Armor Phosphate BCG (picked up on sale for $89, regular price $150 )

PSA Blem MagPul MOE lower ( comes with PSA LPK, Blem Lower Receiver, MOE Grip, MOE Stock ) picked up on sale for $129 + FFL for a total of $150

I wanted to give the MasDefense guys a try, lots of good reviews on their products and at a very decent price. Talked to my uncle before I made the purchases and he is okay with trying out their barrel. If we have any problems will probably move to either Faxon or Odin Works barrel.

If Mike gets his shop up and running before this build is complete it will go down to get some cerakote if not it will go down with a BDL $300 Gift Certificate so my uncle can send it up for cerakote as soon as Mike is up and running.

Cerakot Scheme:

OD Green: Barrel, Flash Hider, Gas Block, Mag Catch, Bolt Catch, Safety Selector, Trigger, Charging Handle, Buffer Tube, Grip
Kryptek Mandrake: Rail, Receiver Set, Stock

M. Gale
20 December 2014, 09:03
18" mid-length gas is such a goofy barrel design. Doesn't know what it wants to be. Why not a rifle length gas system?

Computalotapus
20 December 2014, 09:12
18" mid-length gas is such a goofy barrel design. Doesn't know what it wants to be. Why not a rifle length gas system?

Finding one in the price point I was given to work with wasn't working out.

UWone77
20 December 2014, 10:07

I agree. A rifle length 18" is the only way I'd go. Middies should stick to 14.5-16"

M. Gale
20 December 2014, 10:22
I don't even see an 18" barrel on the MAS website. That being said, don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see.

If I were building another varminter, I'd be using this barrel again: Green Mountain GM-M28 $179.95 (http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gm-m28-18-223-wylde-chamber/)

Computalotapus
20 December 2014, 10:28
I agree. A rifle length 18" is the only way I'd go. Middies should stick to 14.5-16"

Oh I agree completely I would have preferred a rifle length gas but finding a stainless steel one with the budget I had to work with just wasn't going to happen. We are looking at shots maybe out to 200 yds max. I tried to talk him into a 16" barrel but he was dead set on 18". I told him my opinion and said I would prefer a rifle length gas system and told him it would cost extra to get into the better barrel. Just wasn't happening right now.

Doing the standard research before making purchases and giving my opinion at the yardage he is going to be shooting at the difference between mid and rifle length he isn't going to be seeing it. Especially shooting surplus ammo. Now if he reloaded and wanted to go out to 300 yards + and maintain tight consistent groups he knows he will have to switch to a rifle length match grade barrel and move up to either hand loads or pay the extra money for match load ammo. Taking into consideration his shooting skill and his needs and his budget this barrel should suit him well.

If it was up to me and it was my build and my money I would do the standard LR AR build.

Computalotapus
20 December 2014, 10:30
I don't even see an 18" barrel on the MAS website. That being said, don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see.

If I were building another varminter, I'd be using this barrel again: Green Mountain GM-M28 $179.95 (http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gm-m28-18-223-wylde-chamber/)

MasDefense .223 Wylde SS (http://www.shop.masdefense.com/18-223-WYLDE-1x8-STRAIGHT-FLUTED-STAINLESS-STEEL-BARREL-182W8STFHSSBBL.htm) and I had a discount code for an additional 15% off my purchase total

mustangfreek
21 December 2014, 04:05
I have a 18" RA match in mid length that shoots lights out..shot next to a buddys 18" rifle length and didnt see any difference to speak of..The other reason i have the middie, was the rifle length was OOS for so long and then the Mid length came in stock with only a few available and i grabbed it to finish the build...

Either way , sounds like a good build comp.

Computalotapus
21 December 2014, 06:21
I have a 18" RA match in mid length that shoots lights out..shot next to a buddys 18" rifle length and didnt see any difference to speak of..The other reason i have the middie, was the rifle length was OOS for so long and then the Mid length came in stock with only a few available and i grabbed it to finish the build...

Either way , sounds like a good build comp.

Thanks brother. Tracking shows I will have most of the upper parts Monday

M. Gale
21 December 2014, 07:16
MasDefense .223 Wylde SS (http://www.shop.masdefense.com/18-223-WYLDE-1x8-STRAIGHT-FLUTED-STAINLESS-STEEL-BARREL-182W8STFHSSBBL.htm) and I had a discount code for an additional 15% off my purchase total

My bad... I was looking on the 5.56 page. I hope it turns out to be a good barrel.

Computalotapus
21 December 2014, 11:54
My bad... I was looking on the 5.56 page. I hope it turns out to be a good barrel.

We will find out soon. Most of the upper came in today. Rail will be here tomorrow and hopefully the BCG, CH, and muzzle device will be here before Wednesday. And apparently the stainless steel wasn't in the budget and he went with the standard barrel. Once the upper is together I will slap an optic on it take it out sight it in and put some rounds on paper @ 100yds to see what kind of groups it will hold.

OD Green MagPul MOE+ donated by FortTom. Thank you brother for the 2 grips you have passed my way.

http://www.computalotapus.com/images/yoterifle.jpg

Soisauss
21 December 2014, 16:09
Mmmmmmhhhh parts... drool

SeattleDude
22 December 2014, 21:55
I love the feeling when new parts come in =)

Computalotapus
31 December 2014, 18:52
Everything came in to finish up the upper. Waiting for the next payment to come in from my uncle to build the lower and get an optic.

Here is a quick mock up of the upper nothing tightened down. Hopefully Mike will be up and operational by the time this thing is done.

http://www.computalotapus.com/images/unclesbuild.jpg

Ride4frnt
31 December 2014, 23:50
What length is that rail?

Computalotapus
1 January 2015, 06:16
13"
Sent from my Windows Phone 8.1

Gaspipeshooter
1 January 2015, 06:28
I was gonna give you grief and tell you the birdcage is upside down in your picture, but for the new year one of my goals is to be less of a smart ass, (I sometimes think people don't get my dry wit), so I'll just say it looks good!

Computalotapus
1 January 2015, 06:41
Here is a quick mock up of the upper nothing tightened down. Hopefully Mike will be up and operational by the time this thing is done.

I was gonna give you grief and tell you the birdcage is upside down in your picture, but for the new year one of my goals is to be less of a smart ass, (I sometimes think people don't get my dry wit), so I'll just say it looks good!

I was going to tell you that you didn't read my post but I also decided to take off my asshat for this year as well. hahahaha Everything on it right now is hand tighten because it will be coming apart for cerakote :)

Gaspipeshooter
1 January 2015, 06:46
I read your post and saw that it was all just hand tightened. That's where my overwhelming desire to be a smart ass reared it's ugly head. I'm gonna have a tough time resisting that to keep my New Year's resolution to be less jack ass, more nice guy...

Computalotapus
1 January 2015, 06:54
Haha I hear you brother but most people open themselves up for and or blatantly ask for it. Either way I hope you have a prosperous 2015. And you know sometimes the world is in need of A'holes like us.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8.1

DutyUse
6 January 2015, 03:57
Dunno how I missed this Kryptek Mandrake build... Definitely subbin' to see how this one turns out!

I've not seen BDL do mandrake yet so I'll be excited to see how it looks, I might just be copying ;)

Aberration79
6 January 2015, 05:52
I was looking to get BDL to do mine in Mandrake also. Can't wait to see the results.

Computalotapus
2 June 2015, 12:20
Cerakote by BlownDeadline, will pick it up this weekend and put it all together before heading down to Alabama to drop it off with my uncle.

http://www.computalotapus.com/images/brian.jpg

http://www.computalotapus.com/images/brian1.jpg

http://www.computalotapus.com/images/brian2.jpg

Kopis
2 June 2015, 12:25
200 yards max? Should've gone 14.5 pinned or 16 max and thrown on a 1-6 scope. 18" is just a pain to pack/haul. I'd get a decent comp/brake for it too instead of the a2, they are a little jumpy. Personally, i love a two stage trigger for hunting too.

I bought a Rock River 18" bull barrel for coyote hunting. I ditched that d@mn barrel so quick. Still have an 18" but White Oaks Armament with linear comp. I shoot to 400 yards pretty good with it just running 55gr BTs.

Blowndealine's work is awesome.... Ive seen a bunch of it, very impressive.

Computalotapus
2 June 2015, 12:30
200 yards max? Should've gone 14.5 pinned or 16 max and thrown on a 1-6 scope. 18" is just a pain to pack/haul. I'd get a decent comp/brake for it too instead of the a2, they are a little jumpy. Personally, i love a two stage trigger for hunting too.

I bought a Rock River 18" bull barrel for coyote hunting. I ditched that d@mn barrel so quick. Still have an 18" but White Oaks Armament with linear comp. I shoot to 400 yards pretty good with it just running 55gr BTs.

Blowndealine's work is awesome.... Ive seen a bunch of it, very impressive.

Have a PA 1-6x optic for it. I am happy with the weight of the 18" barrel it isn't to heavy compared to a 16" Govt profile rifle. Money was tight on this one and the A2 will work fine considering he has never shot an AR platform rifle and everything he has shot is standard hunting rifle barrel. I am sure he will manage the recoil just fine. He knows he has the option to move to a comp/brake if he wants to. Personally I see him shooting more hogs with it than coyotes.

GOST
2 June 2015, 12:34
That turned out sick Jason, love the color scheme.

toolboxluis00200
2 June 2015, 12:40
Is it OK for me to ask how much ??? For the BDL work

Computalotapus
2 June 2015, 12:57
Is it OK for me to ask how much ??? For the BDL work

AR Platform

AR15/10 – Rail, Upper/Lower Receiver and Stock (Solid Color) $250

AR15/10 – Rail, Upper/Lower Receiver and Stock (Patterns. I.E; Multicam, Digital Camo) $315

AR15/10 – Rail, Upper/Lower Receiver and Stock (Battle Worn™) $300

NEW AR15/10 – Rail, Upper/Lower Receiver and Stock (Spartan Worn™) $325

AR15/10 Small Parts (Buffer Tube, End Plate, Controls etc…) $80

Complete AR15/10 (Solid Color) $330** Add our Battle Worn™ finish to any pattern for an extra $50

Complete AR15/10 (Patterns. I.E; Multicam, Digital Camo) $395**

Complete AR15/10 (Battle Worn™) $380**

Labor to tear down/assemble AR15/10 $90

**Includes; Buffer Tube, Castle Nut, End Plate, Take Down Pins, Safety, Trigger, Mag Release, Bolt Catch & Trigger.

toolboxluis00200
2 June 2015, 13:02
AR Platform

AR15/10 – Rail, Upper/Lower Receiver and Stock (Solid Color) $250

AR15/10 – Rail, Upper/Lower Receiver and Stock (Patterns. I.E; Multicam, Digital Camo) $315

AR15/10 – Rail, Upper/Lower Receiver and Stock (Battle Worn™) $300

NEW AR15/10 – Rail, Upper/Lower Receiver and Stock (Spartan Worn™) $325

AR15/10 Small Parts (Buffer Tube, End Plate, Controls etc…) $80

Complete AR15/10 (Solid Color) $330** Add our Battle Worn™ finish to any pattern for an extra $50

Complete AR15/10 (Patterns. I.E; Multicam, Digital Camo) $395**

Complete AR15/10 (Battle Worn™) $380**

Labor to tear down/assemble AR15/10 $90

**Includes; Buffer Tube, Castle Nut, End Plate, Take Down Pins, Safety, Trigger, Mag Release, Bolt Catch & Trigger.

Thanks for the info

Uffdaphil
2 June 2015, 15:07
Wow! That is one of the best looking ARs I've ever seen.

To chime in on the mid-gas 18" discussion, I went that route for mine simply for weight savings. The BA 17.7" SS Hanson is a whopping 9 oz. less than the BCM rifle gas and the contour shifts the balance rearward. It's even 2 oz. less than my 16" BCM SS410. I went with an A1 stock which helps with the heavier recoil.

I don't know why BA didn't use rifle length gas. Would have bought if they did.

Dstrbdmedic167
2 June 2015, 15:10
That turned out well as I knew it would being as you're the one building it. Can't wait to see the final product and see how it groups.

Slippers
2 June 2015, 15:32
Cerakote by BlownDeadline, will pick it up this weekend and put it all together before heading down to Alabama to drop it off with my uncle.

http://www.computalotapus.com/images/brian.jpg

http://www.computalotapus.com/images/brian1.jpg

http://www.computalotapus.com/images/brian2.jpg

Wow. Makes me want to get something cerakoted!

Computalotapus
3 June 2015, 05:48
Wow! That is one of the best looking ARs I've ever seen.

To chime in on the mid-gas 18" discussion, I went that route for mine simply for weight savings. The BA 17.7" SS Hanson is a whopping 9 oz. less than the BCM rifle gas and the contour shifts the balance rearward. It's even 2 oz. less than my 16" BCM SS410. I went with an A1 stock which helps with the heavier recoil.

I don't know why BA didn't use rifle length gas. Would have bought if they did.

Yeah if he had given me a bigger budget I would have definitely stepped up on the barrel. For $1000 bucks I think this came together to be a decent rifle. I used my own money to do the cerakote job as a gift from me to him so you cant include that in the budget.

Wow. Makes me want to get something cerakoted!

I have one more rifle to get cerakoted. Hopefully I can get it done here soon so I can finish the precision rifle for my youngest daughter.

Txfilmmaker
3 June 2015, 08:24
Wow! Great rifle and gift!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mustangfreek
4 June 2015, 01:31
Dat Kryptec...:P

very nice..

Pyzik
4 June 2015, 05:37
Now you're making my want Kryptek again! Ugh. And here I thought I was going multi-glam... Sigh.

Looking forward to taking a look at it this weekend.

Former11B
4 June 2015, 07:31
Now you're making my want Kryptek again! Ugh. And here I thought I was going multi-glam... Sigh.

Stay the course. Multi-Cam...

Computalotapus
4 June 2015, 11:51

Stay the course. Multi-Cam...

You do know he does some pretty decent Multi-Cam work as well right??

http://www.computalotapus.com/images/multiglam.jpg

http://www.computalotapus.com/images/multiglam1.jpg

http://www.computalotapus.com/images/multiglam2.jpg

Kopis
4 June 2015, 12:04
Decent? I'd say d@mn good... love the gray multicam

Former11B
4 June 2015, 13:21
They look good, but that's not quiiiiiiite true Multi-Cam.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/DownSouthTAS/26efe64e190ddbafa47cbd794056005f_zpsq3lpersm.jpg

Computalotapus
4 June 2015, 13:36
They look good, but that's not quiiiiiiite true Multi-Cam.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/DownSouthTAS/26efe64e190ddbafa47cbd794056005f_zpsq3lpersm.jpg

True and the kryptek isn't true kryptek. I know Mike had to alter the kryptek pattern because Kryptek sent a cease and desist order to a lot of businesses that do cerakote. Mike had to alter the pattern over 25% and not call it kryptek lol. For it being his own twist on the patterns, I think they are very good and having 2 rifles done by him and comparing it rifles that I have seen other companies cerakote.. I will stick to letting him paint my rifles. I know there are some great guys out there laying down some awesome cerakote, but Mike is somewhat local (1 hour 45 minute drive) and his work is 100% better than what I have seen from a small field of others. Everything is clean and the colors transition smoothly with no edges. His shading work is what really sets it off compared to other places that just spray the color for the pattern and leave it, Mike actually does highlight and lowlight shading. And to top it off he lays down a final coat of clear on it to finish it off.

Maybe one day I will try Lockhart Munitions as his work is the only thing that I see being close to Mike's. But Mike is going to have to tell me he can't paint my rifle for me to look somewhere else as of right now.

Former11B
4 June 2015, 16:30
Huh, did not know the legal issues behind that. Makes sense (unfortunately).

I agree with the quality of the work and I'd like to emphasize I was never questioning that aspect of it, so hopefully it didn't come off like I was knocking his work.

Computalotapus
4 June 2015, 17:11
Huh, did not know the legal issues behind that. Makes sense (unfortunately).

I agree with the quality of the work and I'd like to emphasize I was never questioning that aspect of it, so hopefully it didn't come off like I was knocking his work.

No I didn't take anything negatively. I was just stating my opinion and experience with cerakote. I have seen only one hydro-dipped weapon, the quality was outstanding but I tend to beat on my rifles a little bit so I went with the more durable cerakote.

My daughters precision rifle will be going out for cerakote as soon as the last part comes in. That one will be interesting to see when it is done.

Computalotapus
7 June 2015, 01:06
Picked up the rifle from Blowndeadline's yesterday. We put it all together @ Mike's shop. Pyzik met up with us there. Pyzik brought his WASR but I didn't even ask him to take it out of the case cause I would have dropped the cash for one right then and there. We all went out to lunch after we finished putting the rifle together. Was a good time and looking forward to visiting in that area for a range day shoot soon.

Anyways took the rifle home mounted up the optic and hit the range. Did a quick 100 yard zero. Took 12 shots till I had a group of 3 in the X ring. After the rough zero I put the rifle through basic function test. All brass ejected into a nice small grouped up pile, bolt locked to the rear on last round, and a couple 5 round controlled groups felt good. Overall I am very happy with this build and for the budget it turned out to be really nice. Some things I would change on it would be going from a flash hider to a comp or brake, change out the optic mount, and add a keymod sling point and put a good sling on it.

http://www.computalotapus.com/images/brian3.jpg

GOST
7 June 2015, 04:42
Sounds like you guys had a great time. I really like the way that rifle turned out.

Computalotapus
7 June 2015, 07:00
Sounds like you guys had a great time. I really like the way that rifle turned out.

Its always good meeting up with fellow wevo members. Yeah I'm really happy with the easy it turned out. It was a lot lighter than I thought it would be... 7.3lbs with optic

Pyzik
7 June 2015, 07:27
Its always good meeting up with fellow wevo members. Yeah I'm really happy with the easy it turned out. It was a lot lighter than I thought it would be... 7.3lbs with optic
I was pleasantly surprised how light it was.
Great balance for a 18" barreled AR.

Pyzik
10 June 2015, 06:47
Sooooo, does he like it?

Computalotapus
10 June 2015, 10:22
Sooooo, does he like it?

Yep he loved it..only problem we had was when I zeroed the rifle it was 5" off to the left for him and if he moved the zero for him it would be 5" off to the right for me. Was weird never had this happen moving a rifle back and forth between a left handed and right handed shooter.

In Missouri now hangin out with the DMO crew. Will be heading back to MI tomorrow.

Pyzik
10 June 2015, 10:56
Yep he loved it..only problem we had was when I zeroed the rifle it was 5" off to the left for him and if he moved the zero for him it would be 5" off to the right for me. Was weird never had this happen moving a rifle back and forth between a left handed and right handed shooter.

In Missouri now hangin out with the DMO crew. Will be heading back to MI tomorrow.
Wow, 5"? Makes sense with an optic and parallax though I guess.

I've seen an inch or two between shooters but never 5.