PDA

View Full Version : 6.8 SPC, go or no-go

JimmyT
21 December 2014, 08:43
I have been lurking around for some thime and have seen some new offerings for AR pattern rifles that are very interesting to me. I have pared my list down to three rifles that will fill my need for a non-5.56 chambered ar with more terminal ballistics. Have a heavy brush deer hunt in the future!

1) LWRC SIX8
2) Barret REC 7
3) CMMG Mk 47

I know the Mk 47 rifle exist in videos only at this time, but I have some time to play before turning my money into gun smoke.

Any opinions or first hand experience with the 6.8s would be appreciated.

GaSwamper
21 December 2014, 09:23
I run a lot of 6.8 and other .277 cal. rifles and love it. If I were buying a production gun and money was no object the LWRC would be my choice, the Razorback Six8 is probly the pinnacle of 6.8 weaponry. However a very accurate and functional rifle can be built on standard AR-15 parts with only the bolt, mags, and barrel needing to be 6.8 specific. With PRI and C-Products mags I can load out to 2.30 COAL opening the door all the way up to some of the shorter 130gr offerings. Barrel manufacturers such as ARPerformance, Wilson Combat, Black Hole Weaponry and so on using the 6.8 SPCII chamber can provide you a barrel that is honestly some of the most accurate on earth, .5 MOA and less is the norm for these guys and my dad's WC is the most accurate rifle I have ever shot. The next .277 in my sights is the new offering from ARPerformance called the 270AR, an AR-15 cal. made from shortened 6.5x47 creedmore and .308 brass that tosses a 130gr bullet about 2750-2800 fps out of an 18''-20'' barrel.

BoilerUp
21 December 2014, 09:31
No first hand experience with any of them but have to say I really don't get the attraction of a 7.62x39 AR now that .300 AAC BLK is now so well supported and popular and the parts are interchangeable with 5.56 save the barrel. The notion of buying an expensive rifle to shoot cheap ammo seems a little odd to me. A .300 BLK upper for one of your existing AR's would certainly be the more cost effective way of equipping yourself for your hunt.

But, if Barret made your short list, I'm guessing you aren't too concerned about "cost effective" so you might as well get the REC 7 and be the guy that everyone wants to talk to on the range.

Dstrbdmedic167
21 December 2014, 12:14
I run a lot of 6.8 and other .277 cal. rifles and love it. If I were buying a production gun and money was no object the LWRC would be my choice, the Razorback Six8 is probly the pinnacle of 6.8 weaponry. However a very accurate and functional rifle can be built on standard AR-15 parts with only the bolt, mags, and barrel needing to be 6.8 specific. With PRI and C-Products mags I can load out to 2.30 COAL opening the door all the way up to some of the shorter 130gr offerings. Barrel manufacturers such as ARPerformance, Wilson Combat, Black Hole Weaponry and so on using the 6.8 SPCII chamber can provide you a barrel that is honestly some of the most accurate on earth, .5 MOA and less is the norm for these guys and my dad's WC is the most accurate rifle I have ever shot. The next .277 in my sights is the new offering from ARPerformance called the 270AR, an AR-15 cal. made from shortened 6.5x47 creedmore and .308 brass that tosses a 130gr bullet about 2750-2800 fps out of an 18''-20'' barrel.

Pretty much second everything here. I also run a 6.8 and a 277 wolverine. The .277 projectile is by far my favorite. I have a couple of 556 rifles and a 300 blk and I mostly grab one of the first two mentioned.

As mentioned if you have those rifles in your eyesight the LWRC is my choice.

Jerry R
21 December 2014, 16:13
I have two LWRC 6.8 rifles. A sixteen incher and a 10.5 SBR. Both have been flawless. Good multi-purpose caliber. The SBR would be my go-to rifle in a crisis. Ammo prices now getting reasonable, and available.

WHSmithIV
21 December 2014, 16:54
You might want to take a look at the information here first regarding barrel lengths and the velocity curve slopes. Then match that info with the cost of ammo. To get the same velocity slope performance from 6.8SPC as you would with a 16" .300 Blackout barrel you'll need a 19" 6.8 SPC barrel.

http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=128&t=78987

Dstrbdmedic167
21 December 2014, 18:05
You might want to take a look at the information here first regarding barrel lengths and the velocity curve slopes. Then match that info with the cost of ammo. To get the same velocity slope performance from 6.8SPC as you would with a 16" .300 Blackout barrel you'll need a 19" 6.8 SPC barrel.

http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=128&t=78987

Totally disagree. The only time the 300 outperforms the 6.8 is in subsonic applications. The BC on most bullets is just as high if not higher depending on the bullet. I don't want to turn this into yet another thread debating the two but I have to say that info is inaccurate. I have both and the numbers don't lie when you compare side by side.

Edit: They're also not comparing similar bullets. That's like comparing a PSA rifle to a San Tan build... Not the same ballpark

WHSmithIV
21 December 2014, 18:37
That comparison does specify the ammo being used. As we all know though, it's effectively comparing apples to oranges anyway since all things are not equal. For long range I'd likely prefer 6.5 Grendel except for the fact that Adams Arms has it locked up pretty tight since they hold the patents for it. That being said, the ballistics curve for 6.8 SPC isn't all that great. I was looking for a chart I have somewhere showing it but didn't find it. 5.56 has a better ballistics curve than 6.8 SPC - plus you have to get a 6.8 SPC bolt and magazines. Again though, all things are not equal since the 6.8 is a bigger bullet.

The cheapest I find 6.8 SPC for is right around 70 cents a round. That will make for fairly expensive shooting. Since .308 ammo is 25-30% cheaper, why not just go with an AR-10 in .308? OP wants to hunt deer with it after all.

Dstrbdmedic167
21 December 2014, 19:03
They compared 5.56 m193, 110gr Barnes and a 110vmax. That's gives a pretty good idea of what is what but yes it is not a fair comparison. I can get S&B for $.60 a round, still not cheap but better than a $1. And I know you don't like the 6.8 but hunt with one you may be suprised the damage it does. I also handload and so I can get a little better performance. Also most data you see in this comparisons is spec 1 not spec 2 that's a whole different thread in itself.

I don't know if you have an AR 10 but mine is heavy. It's not something I'd enjoy lugging around. I walk a good mile or so to my stands that's a good ways to lug a near 10lb rifle.

JimmyT
21 December 2014, 19:06
The REC 7 is a " if everything goes right " rifle. I am really leaning towards a Six8 from LWRC. I like the idea of the entire rifle being designed around the magazine and reliable feeding. Now I just need to find a gun store with one in stock.

Sent from my KFAPWA using Tapatalk HD

WHSmithIV
21 December 2014, 19:24
They compared 5.56 m193, 110gr Barnes and a 110vmax. That's gives a pretty good idea of what is what but yes it is not a fair comparison. I can get S&B for $.60 a round, still not cheap but better than a $1. And I know you don't like the 6.8 but hunt with one you may be suprised the damage it does. I also handload and so I can get a little better performance. Also most data you see in this comparisons is spec 1 not spec 2 that's a whole different thread in itself.

I don't know if you have an AR 10 but mine is heavy. It's not something I'd enjoy lugging around. I walk a good mile or so to my stands that's a good ways to lug a near 10lb rifle.

I don't actually have anything against the 6.8 except for the cost of the ammo and availability. I can't buy 6.8 ammo around here and would have to drive 80 miles to get it unless I ordered it on-line and then I'd have teh shipping cost added. It certainly should do a little better at taking out deer than 5.56 ... I'm not sure how light one can get an AR 10. It would be interesting to examine the possibilities. Overall I don't see much difference between carrying a 10 lb. rifle vs. an 8 lb. rifle but then, I generally don't have to go far to get a deer either. I'm used to hunting with my Lee Enfield .303 and no need for an optic. Generally don't need to shoot one more than 100 yards away.

WHSmithIV
21 December 2014, 19:26
The REC 7 is a " if everything goes right " rifle. I am really leaning towards a Six8 from LWRC. I like the idea of the entire rifle being designed around the magazine and reliable feeding. Now I just need to find a gun store with one in stock.

Sent from my KFAPWA using Tapatalk HD

Jimmy, most gun shops can order whatever you'd like and have it delivered to them. If you don't find one somewhere in stock, just ask at a couple LGS's to order you one.

Dstrbdmedic167
21 December 2014, 19:29
I don't actually have anything against the 6.8 except for the cost of the ammo and availability. I can't buy 6.8 ammo around here and would have to drive 80 miles to get it unless I ordered it on-line and then I'd have teh shipping cost added. It certainly should do a little better at taking out deer than 5.56 ... I'm not sure how light one can get an AR 10. It would be interesting to examine the possibilities. Overall I don't see much difference between carrying a 10 lb. rifle vs. an 8 lb. rifle but then, I generally don't have to go far to get a deer either. I'm used to hunting with my Lee Enfield .303 and no need for an optic. Generally don't need to shoot one more than 100 yards away.

Cost isn't much different online between the two. My '10 weighs 9.5lbs empty. That's using the RA 308 set switch rail and ultra match barrel. Most of my other rifles are 6-7ish. After good walk you can tell.

caporider
24 December 2014, 21:09
For long range I'd likely prefer 6.5 Grendel except for the fact that Adams Arms has it locked up pretty tight since they hold the patents for it.

Not true.

It's Alexander Arms, and they surrendered any IP rights to 6.5 Grendel once it was approved as a SAAMI cartridge. 6.5 Grendel is as open as any other SAAMI-spec cartridge out there.