PDA

View Full Version : Firearms Laws

alamo5000
21 December 2014, 13:45
I for one am sort of a 'wonk' about certain things...I like to know why things happen and who did what when.

I think it would be good to have a running thread describing when and how we got to our current set of firearms laws.

Such as when did they come up with the bright idea that a suppressor needed a federal regulation? Specifically what law governs this? And when was it first implemented?

What about SBRs? When did they come up with that? Which laws?

Specifically when did they come up with the idea to do 'background checks'?

There are a ton of things...

It might sound kind of nerd-ish but I think it would be interesting to see this all laid out and the context of things. Historical information and current laws would be nice as a running (collective) project for Federal laws on these things.

Ordnance
21 December 2014, 14:05
I wouldn't suggest this. The only reason being that the laws are ever changing and different for each jurisdiction including Federal, State, County, and local City. What ends up happening is you get a lot of hear say and misinformation that people will use for legal advice from online research which can often lead to even worse problems. Just my 2 cents...

alamo5000
21 December 2014, 15:26
I wouldn't suggest this. The only reason being that the laws are ever changing and different for each jurisdiction including Federal, State, County, and local City. What ends up happening is you get a lot of hear say and misinformation that people will use for legal advice from online research which can often lead to even worse problems. Just my 2 cents...

Of course there will be dummies all over the internet... what is in my head actually would inform people that there are such laws...but point taken. I never intended to have a complete encyclopedia of legalese.

I guess maybe it's just me but I am kind of interested in historical information.

Let's take 'background checks' for example. These were not always in place.

I used to run background checks for a living. Day in, day out I was the go to guy that either gave the thumbs up or the thumbs down for people wanting certain jobs. I personally am not concerned with a background check per se but people who put all their stock in that... ummm no. The whole 'background check' thing is not at all leak proof. It will catch big obvious things that happened in recent times, but when did we start to have to do 'background checks'?

That's one...

Apparently 1986 had a lot of legislation in it because apparently that's when they restricted machine guns (not that I can afford ammo for a machine gun)...

When did they all the sudden start thinking suppressors needed a tax stamp and federal regulation?

We can keep it federal and keep it general as far as I am concerned.

UWone77
21 December 2014, 15:32
Brief history of getting fucked over:

National Firearms Act 1934

Gun Control Act of 1968

Hughes Amendment 1986

alamo5000
21 December 2014, 15:53

I like the way you think.

alamo5000
21 December 2014, 15:59

Gun Control Act of 1968

Hughes Amendment 1986

One could reasonably argue that a bill written in 1934 is out dated...prior to the year 2000 our banking laws were written all in the 1930's...for the same reason... to fight against organized crime and money laundering and all that stuff.

In 2000 they repealed and changed and updated a ton of banking laws...

WHSmithIV
21 December 2014, 15:59
The NFA of 1934 was what started the ban on machine guns as well as short barreled shotguns. This was because the mobs running illegal alcohol during prohibition were having mob turf wars (mostly in the Chicago area of course). They carried a lot of firepower with them since up to this time there was no regulation at all on firearms.

Basically it's the GCA of 1968 that really started the crap. The Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986 did remove some few little pieces of the provisions of the GCA, but, of course there were changes made to that legislation that also screwed gun owners more. About the only thing that was really accomplished by the FOPA was limiting the ATF to harassing FFL licensees only once a year instead of whenever they wanted to.

Ordnance
21 December 2014, 16:02

Gun Control Act of 1968

Hughes Amendment 1986

Lol... Concise and to the point... hehehe

alamo5000
21 December 2014, 16:04
A quick Google search based on Uwone's comment led me to this:

https://www.atf.gov/content/firearms/firearms-industry/national-firearms-act

Dstrbdmedic167
21 December 2014, 18:08
Google is the woman you didn't have to marry because she already had all the answers and doesn't need you...

Former11B
21 December 2014, 18:24
One could reasonably argue that a bill written in 1934 is out dated...prior to the year 2000 our banking laws were written all in the 1930's...for the same reason... to fight against organized crime and money laundering and all that stuff.

In 2000 they repealed and changed and updated a ton of banking laws...

Don't ask them to update the NFA to represent modern times., better ask for it to be abolished entirely. The tax was set at $200 in 1934, which is like $3500 now. How many tax stamps would you have at that rate? I'd have MAYBE one. Maybe

It was set to price the masses out of ownership. Like $5 purchase permits in NC, it's an attempt to limit those who could, sadly, make use of a God given right.

alamo5000
21 December 2014, 18:49
Don't ask them to update the NFA to represent modern times., better ask for it to be abolished entirely. The tax was set at $200 in 1934, which is like $3500 now. How many tax stamps would you have at that rate? I'd have MAYBE one. Maybe

It was set to price the masses out of ownership. Like $5 purchase permits in NC, it's an attempt to limit those who could, sadly, make use of a God given right.

While leaving the mafia and mob bosses STILL having, owning, and using them.

All it did was give prosecutors other charges they could throw on the mob when they had nothing else.

And by 'update' I did mean to abolish. It's just stupid to make someone pay anything to get a suppressor. Why is it even regulated? The law was written with 1930's era mobsters in mind...so all they had to do was catch them with the gun in order to press charges...

Now they can through science collect DNA evidence and all kinds of forensics to catch criminals and link them to crimes.

But seriously, with today's forensics if someone shoots someone else they can tell which gun the bullet came from in no time flat. In that sense of the word trying to catch criminals... that law is obsolete in it's purpose and intent and effectiveness.

UWone77
21 December 2014, 19:04
While leaving the mafia and mob bosses STILL having, owning, and using them.

All it did was give prosecutors other charges they could throw on the mob when they had nothing else.

And by 'update' I did mean to abolish. It's just stupid to make someone pay anything to get a suppressor. Why is it even regulated? The law was written with 1930's era mobsters in mind...so all they had to do was catch them with the gun in order to press charges...

Now they can through science collect DNA evidence and all kinds of forensics to catch criminals and link them to crimes.

But seriously, with today's forensics if someone shoots someone else they can tell which gun the bullet came from in no time flat. In that sense of the word trying to catch criminals... that law is obsolete in it's purpose and intent and effectiveness.

Why don't you get on that, and keep us updated. [:D]

Dstrbdmedic167
21 December 2014, 19:06

I literally laughed. Thanks I needed that at work!

alamo5000
21 December 2014, 19:13

I know people brother. Don't under estimate me :) LOL

alamo5000
21 December 2014, 19:15
I literally laughed. Thanks I needed that at work!

I do stand up as a side job...[:D]

UWone77
21 December 2014, 19:16
I know people brother. Don't under estimate me :) LOL

For the record, I'm right there with you my man. All NFA items should be available to everyone who is legally allowed to own them. The only thing holding you back should be like anything else... which is money.

Dstrbdmedic167
21 December 2014, 19:17
I three agree but as we all know it's a double edged sword there...

alamo5000
21 December 2014, 19:23
I three agree but as we all know it's a double edged sword there...

What part is double edged?

alamo5000
21 December 2014, 19:24
For the record, I'm right there with you my man. All NFA items should be available to everyone who is legally allowed to own them. The only thing holding you back should be like anything else... which is money.

I mean next time I have dinner with a Senator or two I need to have my ducks in a row... just sayin'....

Dstrbdmedic167
21 December 2014, 19:25
What part is double edged?

It's a great thing if you can get it accomplished but on the other hand you may end up bringing unwanted attention to the NFA world. In turn, you may end up getting stricter laws or increase in tax.

alamo5000
21 December 2014, 19:29
It's a great thing if you can get it accomplished but on the other hand you may end up bringing unwanted attention to the NFA world. In turn, you may end up getting stricter laws or increase in tax.

I understand this fear... but I also think there is creeping 'incremental-ism' as is.... slowly and steadily erosion... but I think it can be done in such a way where it's a win win... just my opinion from observing things over time...

Dstrbdmedic167
21 December 2014, 19:30
I understand this fear... but I also think there is creeping 'incremental-ism' as is.... slowly and steadily erosion... but I think it can be done in such a way where it's a win win... just my opinion from observing things over time...

Agree, we're on the same page.

Ordnance
21 December 2014, 22:12
While you're talking to Senators you should ask them to get rid of the new socialized health care also... Lol

alamo5000
22 December 2014, 05:11
While you're talking to Senators you should ask them to get rid of the new socialized health care also... Lol

No kidding.

alamo5000
22 December 2014, 05:20
Check this out...LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Myd8sc320Hg

JHoward
22 December 2014, 20:08
I am of the same mind. What bothers me the most is that it seems like such a racket. I don't mind doing a background check for them, but it shouldn't be any different than buying a gun.