PDA

View Full Version : Any glock armorers? Used glock gen2

n4p226r
23 December 2014, 10:50
I was wondering when buying a used glock with unknown round count what parts and springs should be replaced. Also, is there any way of telling from the serial number if a gen has the relief cuts in the frame and proper safe internals?

FortTom
23 December 2014, 20:15
I was wondering when buying a used glock with unknown round count what parts and springs should be replaced. Also, is there any way of telling from the serial number if a gen has the relief cuts in the frame and proper safe internals?
I am not an armorer, but I've stripped to the bone and modified many, many Glocks. (Highly discouraged by certified Armorers, almost to a religion). I would ask you these questions first. Does it function, does it go bang everytime? Is everything clean and in good working order? What Gen is it? You don't know? Yes you can take the serial number down to Barnes and Nobles and look it up in one of the several Glock books. My personal favorite is Ptooma productions "THE COMPLETE GLOCK REFERENCE GUIDE" 3rd edition.

If you don't know what Gen it is, and the seller doesn't know, I'd look at another Glock. But you specified Gen 2. I'd go with a Gen 3 which generally sell for the same amount of money.

"Low Round Count" is the first sentence in 10 million ads for Glocks in the big Glock Forums like Glock Talk. Many times this is true. Someone gets their first pistol, one of the most popular these days, being the Glock, shoots a box of ammo or less and passes it on. There are probably Gen 1 and Gen 2 glocks out there that don't have 500 rounds down the tube. More important, it doesn't matter, unless the guy/gal was a comp shooter and put 10000 rounds down the barrel. Glock barrels are cheap. And they last and last.

If I'm reading your post right, you may be relatively new to Glocks?

Buy one from someone who knows what Gen Glock they have, and have the box and paperwork with it. The book I suggested to you will tell you every detail you could possibly want to know about any Glock up to Gen 3. This book doesn't cover the Gen 4's.

Ask the seller if you can strip it down and look at it. If he says no, then run, don't walk, away from that deal. However if every thing looks good, and when you rack the slide and pull the trigger and it goes "click" it's probably o.k.

Get the book. Educate yourself. Glocks are a dime a dozen, nearly everywhere you go. I picked up a New In Box Gen 3 G19 for $375, with an extra Lone Wolf barrel, because the dude bought it and it scared his wife to have it in the house. He almost shoved it in my hands, he was so nervous doing a FTF here in KY, and just wanted to get rid of it.

On an unrelated side, I'm slowly depleting my collection of Glocks for M&P's. Personal preference only. Want to buy a few? Low Round Count[:D][:D][:D]

n4p226r
24 December 2014, 11:31
im not new to glocks, but haven't ever bought a used pistol. i just picked up this gen 2 police trade in. i haven't seen it in person but I'm not too worried about it yet as its not meant for a home defense gun. i specifically wanted a gen 2 because the lack of finger grooves. the current plan is some grip tape, new sights, and now i have an idpa gun. my gen 3 glocks are stippled with the finger grooves removed so i can't use them. i'll definitely check out that book. its not like there is a whole lot going on inside a glock to replace a few springs. i'd probably replace all of them either way since it's used, unknown round count, and a spring kit is like $30. i just wanted to know if glock advertised an actual spring life.

im not worried about the finish or the barrel. thats nothing cerakote can't fix. and ill shoot the barrel until the groups open up past what i find acceptable and then change it.

FortTom
24 December 2014, 11:46
Then you're good to go. Changing springs, depending how much of a bitch your striker spring wants to be, shouldn't take more than 30 minutes or so.[:D]

camomike
24 December 2014, 12:19
Feeling lazy today... link to spring kits for $30 would be appreciated. Bout time I replaced mine.

Dstrbdmedic167
24 December 2014, 12:34
The GoogleFu is weak with you Mike...

http://www.rockyourglock.com/parts/SpringKits.htm

camomike
24 December 2014, 12:58
Lol, thanks. Company has our computers on lock down. Wasn't expecting a link, more a smart ass reply

MoxyDave
24 December 2014, 17:03
Here is a proper Glock field inspection procedure.

I don't believe there is a spring replacement schedule. They simply recommend a yearly inspection by a Glock-certified armorer.

Glockmeister (http://www.glockmeister.com/Emergency-Field-Replacement-Spring-Kit-G-192332/productinfo/GMSPR19EF/) has replacement kits for all the models.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jVuv7nrPHk

Dstrbdmedic167
24 December 2014, 17:22
Lol, thanks. Company has our computers on lock down. Wasn't expecting a link, more a smart ass reply

I thought about it but thought I'd be helpful got once.

5pins
25 December 2014, 08:04
Glock recommends changing the recoil spring at 3000 rounds for gen 2 and 3 and 5000 for gen 4. Depending on the date it was manufactured you may need the 6 part upgrade.
http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/upgrade-faq.html

n4p226r
25 December 2014, 13:05
Serial is BCFxxxxx.

n4p226r
28 March 2015, 10:18
well it took a while but i finally got it in hand. i love the gen 2 grip. can't wait to try it out. and the slide cerakote didn't come out too bad
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/wsaraceni/81746667-4FE3-434F-B7AE-8E47B2699F01_zpshm7qcwao.jpg

Deadwing
14 April 2015, 04:35
I recently purchased a police trade Gen 2 G19, as i hate Glock finger grooves. It had a lot of finish wear on the slide, but was mechanically sound. As cheap insurance, i literally replaced every spring in the gun. Springs are cheap, and i got a deal on the gun, so i still came out way ahead, even after replacing the dead night sights with fresh ones.