PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions on pistol build

DutyUse
24 December 2014, 15:37
Started gathering parts for the wife's pistol build.

so far I got upper and lower receiver set in tungsten from aero.

fathom arms nitride bcg
Ballistic advantage 10.5 modern series
ACT trigger
A Kak complete brace kit
BCM gunfighter charging handle
Magpul K2 plus
Rainer trigger guard

Any suggestions on rail, muzzle device and gas block? The gas block especially with the nitride barrel, any interferences or problems with install?

Will update more as parts come in

Ride4frnt
24 December 2014, 15:51
I'm in the same boat. I'm not sure if I should have an adjustable block for a 10.5 or no. Personally I'm going with the brake/comp/flash hider combo deal with a VG6 Epsilon.

alamo5000
24 December 2014, 16:03
10" Solo Lite from SLR....

It would fit that 10.5" barrel quite nicely.

http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=66_106_70&product_id=108

If you ask customer service they might be able to do custom coatings... they will hook you up. They do offer cerakote but I don't know much about how they could match the color on your AERO upper and lower.

I also have their BCF muzzle device on my rifle and I love it.

They have a selection of gas blocks as well. Not sure if you need a special kind for a pistol or not.

WHSmithIV
24 December 2014, 16:09
Regarding the gas block - if it's pistol length gas, I'd go with an adjustable gas block. That allows you to bleed off extra if you feel that the gun is over gassed. If it has a carbine length gas port then it's likely not necessary - I wouldn't bother with an adjustable gas block for carbine length gas, but that's just me. No problems with install on a nitride or melonite barrel. If you want, you can have the barrel dimpled where the set screws of the gas block will be and add just a tiny drop of blue locktite to the set screws. It's not really necessary but a lot of guys prefer to do it anyway. If it's a clamp on gas block then you won't be bothering to dimple the barrel. You may choose to still use a tiny drop of blue loctite on the gas block screws - your choice.

There is no 'special' kind of gas block for a pistol build. It's the same as for building a carbine. All you need is a gas block that is for the diameter of the barrel where the gas port is. That's usually .750 though there are some pencil barrels out there that use .625. I haven't looked up that particular barrel, but most likely it needs a standard .750 gas block.

DutyUse
24 December 2014, 16:18
It's carbine gas.

Good call on the VG6.

Thinking maybe the new ALG 10" mlok rail may look nice. Goal is a good little blaster but somewhat reasonable price.

Do spikes still make their .750 melonite lo-pro GB's? Seems like it might be a good combo with the other nitride components

UWone77
24 December 2014, 16:21
You plan on shooting this suppressed? If not, I'd skip the adjustable gas block.

DutyUse
24 December 2014, 16:56
Possibly in the future when we get a can. UW any suggestions on an easily adjusted GB, even through a rail?

UWone77
24 December 2014, 17:05
Possibly in the future when we get a can. UW any suggestions on an easily adjusted GB, even through a rail?

Syrac, I've also used the Seekins one, but personally, I think Syrac makes the best adjustable GB on the market as of right now.

Dstrbdmedic167
24 December 2014, 17:15
Syrac, I've also used the Seekins one, but personally, I think Syrac makes the best adjustable GB on the market as of right now.

Without a doubt. Have both seekins is ok but syrac is much better.

din
24 December 2014, 18:46
Doesn't Rainier still have their gas block on sale? Nitrided bbl shouldn't be an issue unless you want to pin the block. I'd recommend the Precision Armament EFAB for the muzzle device. Not very helpful on the rail maybe, ALG should be good but what about one of the forum sponsors, e.g BCM or Parrallax?

DutyUse
24 December 2014, 19:37

Back ordered until after Christmas, but went ahead and ordered. Good looking on the heads up!

Doesn't Rainier still have their gas block on sale? Nitrided bbl shouldn't be an issue unless you want to pin the block. I'd recommend the Precision Armament EFAB for the muzzle device. Not very helpful on the rail maybe, ALG should be good but what about one of the forum sponsors, e.g BCM or Parrallax?

The reason why went with the ALG is because I've been using Keymod and wanted to try Mlok on this build.

DutyUse
24 December 2014, 19:44
. If you want, you can have the barrel dimpled where the set screws of the gas block will be and add just a tiny drop of blue locktite to the set screws. It's not really necessary but a lot of guy

I plan on doing the full build myself with my new armorer's tools. What's the best way to dimple the barrel myself? I have a nice stand up drill press in the shop if that helps.

HeavyDuty
24 December 2014, 19:52
I plan on doing the full build myself with my new armorer's tools. What's the best way to dimple the barrel myself? I have a nice stand up drill press in the shop if that helps.

I just did mine using a hand drill - all you're doing is spotting the barrel.

Ride4frnt
24 December 2014, 19:55
I just did mine using a hand drill - all you're doing is spotting the barrel.

Same.

din
24 December 2014, 20:11

Rainier has a dimpling jig if you're as type A about your builds as I am. I'm sure you can pick one up from Brownell's too.

DutyUse
24 December 2014, 20:20
Rainier has a dimpling jig if you're as type A about your builds as I am. I'm sure you can pick one up from Brownell's too.

Thanks bro. And yes I'm super picky. I guess which is why I have 5 stripped lowers and haven't started building any yet because I'm waiting on 1-2 "perfect" parts to finish that particular build. Oh well at least soon I'll have a couple back to back to post ;)

UWone77
24 December 2014, 20:21
Thanks bro. And yes I'm super picky. I guess which is why I have 5 stripped lowers and haven't started building any yet because I'm waiting on 1-2 "perfect" parts to finish that particular build. Oh well at least soon I'll have a couple back to back to post ;)

Not sure if you're dead set on the barrel, but you could always get a pre-dimpled one like RA's select, match, and ultramatch line.

DutyUse
24 December 2014, 20:49
Not sure if you're dead set on the barrel, but you could always get a pre-dimpled one like RA's select, match, and ultramatch line.

Wish I woulda known about 2 hours ago..all the parts I've listed are already in order. Always next build tho :D

Fathom_Arms
25 December 2014, 00:51
Wish I woulda known about 2 hours ago..all the parts I've listed are already in order. Always next build tho :D

If you pay for the shipping both ways, I'll dimple it for you for free. If you want both screws dimpled, send the gas block with it. If you only want the screw below the gas port done, I do not need the gas block.

DutyUse
25 December 2014, 00:55
If you pay for the shipping both ways, I'll dimple it for you for free. If you want both screws dimpled, send the gas block with it. If you only want the screw below the gas port done, I do not need the gas block.

Hell ya! Thank you, sincerely! I'll shoot you a PM when the barrel/GB gets in.

Guy Kemp & Fathom for prestigious site sponsor 2015!!

WHSmithIV
25 December 2014, 02:28
Hell ya I'll pay both ways and send the Gas Block! That would save me a tremendous amount of work/cost for a dimple jig. Thank you, truly!

That's a nice offer DutyUse - PM them and send it to them. I'm guessing you'll get it back with the gas block in place too [:)]

DutyUse
25 December 2014, 03:09
That's a nice offer DutyUse - PM them and send it to them. I'm guessing you'll get it back with the gas block in place too [:)]

I know exactly what he's doing.. He knows I can't quit day dreaming about that Fathom URG and he's trying to butter me up so I'll set my CC on fire some more ;D

WHSmithIV
25 December 2014, 03:53
I know exactly what he's doing.. He knows I can't quit day dreaming about that Fathom URG and he's trying to butter me up so I'll set my CC on fire some more ;D

Quite possible - however, let him dimple that barrel for you and install the gas block. Then you'll KNOW it's all done and lined up properly [:)]

tact
25 December 2014, 04:30
I ended up ordering the WAR upper to give it a try over fiddling with the GB......hopefully it works out alright.

DutyUse
25 December 2014, 14:47
Well my wife and I decided this pistol is gonna cause some fighting about who is belongs to.. So only one option!

Build another one, this time a BCM 11.5

Ordered so far..

BCM BHF 11.5
BCM GB
BCM BCG
Elfman flat trigger
Same aero upper lower combo in tungsten.
Same Kak complete kit
BCM mod1 comp
Hera ambi safety

Was thinking a 10" KMR or a 9.5 G. Mk4. Anyone got suggestions on either build? :D

din
25 December 2014, 20:33
KMR should be significantly lighter, if weight is a factor. If not pick the one you think looks better.

DutyUse
26 December 2014, 00:06
I know but after seeing Carbons mk4's I'm having doubts. :((

DutyUse
26 December 2014, 16:22
Well I decided since the 11.5 was mostly BCM I might aswell get a 10" KMR and v7 titanium BN. Should be a fun little blaster when I SBR it

Fathom_Arms
31 December 2014, 04:04
Hell ya! Thank you, sincerely! I'll shoot you a PM when the barrel/GB gets in.

No problem at all.

ddearmon2010
31 December 2014, 16:58
sorry I am still new and in my first build.... what I'd the significance of barrel length on the AR only an inch or two different?

Gaspipeshooter
31 December 2014, 18:18
sorry I am still new and in my first build.... what I'd the significance of barrel length on the AR only an inch or two different?

The amount of barrel length between the gas port and the muzzle determines "dwell time", which means how long there is gas pressurizing the bolt to cycle the action, before the pressure "release" caused by the bullet exiting the muzzle of the barrel. The difference between a 10.5" and 11.5" barrel is about 40% in terms of dwell time, according to Paul Buffoni of BCM. More dwell time typically translates into more reliable cycling, within reason.

Deadwing
1 January 2015, 22:44
Well I decided since the 11.5 was mostly BCM I might aswell get a 10" KMR and v7 titanium BN. Should be a fun little blaster when I SBR it

That's going to be crazy light! You should keep rolling with the ultra-light theme and finish off the upper with a V7 forward assist and ejection port cover.

DutyUse
2 January 2015, 00:10
That's going to be crazy light! You should keep rolling with the ultra-light theme and finish off the upper with a V7 forward assist and ejection port cover.

Thank you. I hope both the 10.5 (mine) and the 11.5 (her's) run well.

Deadwing
2 January 2015, 00:59
Thank you. I hope both the 10.5 (mine) and the 11.5 (her's) run well.

Sounds like you're using quality parts, so I don't see why they wouldn't run well. You might want to have a variety of buffer weights on hand in case you need to fine tune one of them. I'd email each barrel manufacturer and see what buffer weight they recommend and go from there.

DutyUse
2 January 2015, 20:07
http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u404/FamilyFord23/pew%20pew/105ARpistol_zpsbb1b89a4.jpg

Just had to see what she'd look like... lots of parts missing, but loving me some 10.5 :) :)

Deadwing
2 January 2015, 20:53
http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u404/FamilyFord23/pew%20pew/105ARpistol_zpsbb1b89a4.jpg

Just had to see what she'd look like... lots of parts missing, but loving me some 10.5 :) :)

Looking good!

DutyUse
2 January 2015, 22:01
http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u404/FamilyFord23/pew%20pew/BCM115pistol_zpsd8d063f7.jpg

Sneak peak of the BCM 11.5 BHF w KMR combo. Still gotta pick a muzzle device. Was thinking about maybe using the Rainer FH I won from the football challenge on the 10.5 and the Epsilon on the BCM

Deadwing
2 January 2015, 22:20
I'd go for an AAC 51T flash hider so you're ready to rock when you get a can. :P

DutyUse
2 January 2015, 22:30
I'd go for an AAC 51T flash hider so you're ready to rock when you get a can. :P

Agreed with thinking ahead about a silencer. But I'm looking hard at a direct thread on from Gemtech... Plus I have 3-4 capable muzzle devices hanging around

Deadwing
2 January 2015, 22:55
Agreed with thinking ahead about a silencer. But I'm looking hard at a direct thread on from Gemtech... Plus I have 3-4 capable muzzle devices hanging around

Gotcha. That being the case, use what you've got and save a few bucks. You can always buy a silencer mount later should you decide against the direct thread option.

DutyUse
2 January 2015, 22:57
Gotcha. That being the case, use what you've got and save a few bucks. You can always buy a silencer mount later should you decide against the direct thread option.

Mr guns n gear really sold me on the Gemtech. Plus if I ever get a Tavor easily put on other guns :)

But first things first. Trust. SBR's. Then cans

Deadwing
3 January 2015, 01:40
A man has got to have priorities! A trust and an SBR (or 3!) is deffo a good place to start! I'll have to dig up his review of the Gemtech. And a Tavor is on my short list of wants. But with the arrival of my first tax stamp a few days ago, my new SBR will keep me plenty occupied for a while i think. :)

Stickman
4 January 2015, 19:41
Looks like you've got a great start to that build. How do you like the ELF Trigger? Is this your first one?

DutyUse
4 January 2015, 19:46
Looks like you've got a great start to that build. How do you like the ELF Trigger? Is this your first one?

Wow high praise :)

Yes my first Elf, but 4th high-end trigger. By far my favorite, but time will tell. Once the trust gets going these two pistols will turn into two nice silencer host SBR's :)

UWone77
4 January 2015, 19:48
Have you shot a Tavor suppressed?

It sucks.

DutyUse
4 January 2015, 19:51
No.

Haven't even shot, much less handled a Tavor. When people around my parts want to see nice rifles and such they gotta drive 100+ miles

UWone77
4 January 2015, 20:16
No.

Haven't even shot, much less handled a Tavor. When people around my parts want to see nice rifles and such they gotta drive 100+ miles

Not much of a bullpup fan in general, but I like the Tavor... however, if I was bitching about gas in the face with the AR, the Tavor is 10x worse.

DutyUse
4 January 2015, 20:23
I'll probably never buy one personally as I'm heavily invested in the AR platform. I was just trying to explain to Deadwing why I was so interested in the Gem-Tech thread on over other suppressor options.

UWone77
4 January 2015, 20:28
I'll probably never buy one personally as I'm heavily invested in the AR platform. I was just trying to explain to Deadwing why I was so interested in the Gem-Tech thread on over other suppressor options.

I keep going back and forth over getting a Tavor, but at this point, I think I'd rather throw money at a MP5 for the next range toy.

So back to thread on suppressors... you getting a thread on vs quick attach?

DutyUse
4 January 2015, 20:37
I keep going back and forth over getting a Tavor, but at this point, I think I'd rather throw money at a MP5 for the next range toy.

So back to thread on suppressors... you getting a thread on vs quick attach?

No idea honestly. At this point the game plan is establish a Trust, SBR the pistols then look into a 556, 9, and lastly 22lr suppressors in that order of importance.

Been eyeballing the Gem-Tech GMT LE556. Anyone got any experience, positive, negative or hearsay with it?

tact
6 January 2015, 11:14
Not much of a bullpup fan in general, but I like the Tavor... however, if I was bitching about gas in the face with the AR, the Tavor is 10x worse.

Well thanks for the heads up.....I almost wasted 1700.

Computalotapus
6 January 2015, 12:32

I looked at thread on suppressors and really did a lot of research on them. If I could get a HMMS cover and it still seems that paying the extra money to not have to worry about it coming loose and causing baffle strikes (possibly destroying the entire suppressor) is worth it. Still doing research on it so no definitive answer but leaning away from thread-on for now.