PDA

View Full Version : If You Had To Choose?

JHoward
24 December 2014, 22:53
OK. So I set myself a budget on a new lower. Question is...

If you had to choose.

Mega lower, Stag LPK

Aero Precision Lower, Stag LPK and ALG ACT

Spartan Billet Lower, Stag LPK.

Which would you choose?

Deckard
24 December 2014, 23:09
I have a Mega and Aero lower. The Mega lower looks a lot better (Aero has some tool marks while the Mega is completely smooth, magwell on the Mega is also more flared out compared to my Aero) and has more features. They also have high tolerances.

DutyUse
24 December 2014, 23:48
Might aswell budget for both... You already know you'll end up with each ;D

JHoward
24 December 2014, 23:51
Well, the Mega costs twice what the AP does, so I could have two if I went with AP. :D

Slippers
25 December 2014, 06:55
Since you're on a budget you may want to consider a white oak armament lower parts kit. I've found the parts to be higher quality than even LMT components in some cases. Plus they're priced very well.

tact
25 December 2014, 10:50
I wasn't supremely happy with my White Oak LPK.....I'll just be using their barrels from now on.

Thompson
25 December 2014, 10:56
I don't have any experience with any of the above listed, but Aero does have a Blem sale (http://aeroprecisionusa.com/aspx/store/listing.aspx?search=1&categories=0&catid=1&attributes=0,Yes) going on now if this makes a difference.

Slippers
25 December 2014, 15:21
I wasn't supremely happy with my White Oak LPK.....I'll just be using their barrels from now on.

Tact, if you don't mind me asking, what was wrong? My sample size isn't very big so I don't want to recommend parts if there are issues.

Computalotapus
25 December 2014, 15:31
Since you're on a budget you may want to consider a white oak armament lower parts kit. I've found the parts to be higher quality than even LMT components in some cases. Plus they're priced very well.

I agree I have been putting my LPK's together at White Oak Armament here lately and I am very satisfied with the components. Granted I have only gotten magazine catch assembly, bolt catch assembly, buffer detent and spring from there. But that is because I have been running BAD-ASS, BAD-EPS and different triggers

WHSmithIV
25 December 2014, 19:17
Go with the AP lower and buy two of them [:)]

mustangfreek
25 December 2014, 19:44
WOA for all my small parts, quick , cheap and honest shipping..Good people..

Me out of those only have a mega and it is very nice in finish and waiting till they release another batch of forged ones as their a homestate company and moved to a different city, so good excuse to get another lower right..lol

tact
26 December 2014, 02:40
Tact, if you don't mind me asking, what was wrong? My sample size isn't very big so I don't want to recommend parts if there are issues.

Maybe I'm just unlucky but not everything fit very well......tolerances on some of the items were varied as parts ranged from really tight to really loose.

eldogg
26 December 2014, 03:17
cost and fit, i've been very satisfied with every thing i've purchased from Aero.

DutyUse
26 December 2014, 04:03
Cost wise aero is where it's at. I got (2) upper/lower combo cerakoted tungsten for 260 shipped yesterday..

JHoward
26 December 2014, 09:03
The place I'm thinking of getting the Aero from has non-blems, and it's going to run me $75 out the door. The Mega is going to be around $150. I like both lowers a lot, and I like the features of the Mega, but I just don't know if there's $75 dollars more quality. I don't have my mind made up, so I hope it doesn't seem that way. I just want to know if you guys think that the Mega is actually 2X better.

Ordnance
26 December 2014, 09:30
Maybe I'm just unlucky but not everything fit very well......tolerances on some of the items were varied as parts ranged from really tight to really loose.

What was the receiver you were using them on? I have to ask because it may have not been WOA but the receiver that wasn't to spec. WOA usually puts out one of the most solid LPK's out there so it's unusual to hear a negative report, but that doesn't mean they're not prone to mistakes either. I wouldn't write them off because of one build though.

tact
27 December 2014, 06:41
What was the receiver you were using them on? I have to ask because it may have not been WOA but the receiver that wasn't to spec. WOA usually puts out one of the most solid LPK's out there so it's unusual to hear a negative report, but that doesn't mean they're not prone to mistakes either. I wouldn't write them off because of one build though.

It's in spec....I think one would have to try very hard to buy an out of spec receiver these days...

DutyUse
27 December 2014, 07:47
Let me preface by saying I think Mega probably holds some of the tightest tolerances in the industry. But damn what an ugly rollmark..at least to me.

Only Mega I would ever buy is the Nickel Boron Set..

Smac61
27 December 2014, 09:54
MEGA / Stag is a great combo. The MEGA lowers are as good as it gets (I like the roll mark) and Stag (CMT) LPK's are always great, the ones I've built have always had fantastic MIL spec triggers for some reason. I would second the nod on WOA LPK's as well.

Ordnance
27 December 2014, 10:08
It's in spec....I think one would have to try very hard to buy an out of spec receiver these days...

I've come across several, and it does still happen when companies QC goes down in a rush to pump out products. You didn't really answer the question though. You don't think it's a little unfair to be willing to name the LPK company and assume it's the culprit but not be willing to name the receiver set? If it's a solid product then why not say who it is?

JHoward
27 December 2014, 10:25
Well, one thing this thread has surely done is solidify my decision NOT to get the Spartan billet lower. LOL

tact
27 December 2014, 11:04
I've come across several, and it does still happen when companies QC goes down in a rush to pump out products. You didn't really answer the question though. You don't think it's a little unfair to be willing to name the LPK company and assume it's the culprit but not be willing to name the receiver set? If it's a solid product then why not say who it is?

Really.....this has become a bit ridiculous. I merely mentioned I had a problem. I also stated that perhaps I was just unlucky with the kit I received. Nonetheless, I wasn't impressed with the kit overall. Sorry if it hurts your feelings. WOA barrels are superb.....I just happen to choose to buy LPK elsewhere. Probably a one time thing but I really don't feel the need to try again when there are so many quality offerings out there. If you've come across several out of spec lowers perhaps purchasing from a better company would be a better idea. I didn't mention the receiver because I really do not think being in so called "spec" is a problem unless I was diving into the realm of (insert company producing cheap parts known for substandard quality so I do not offend anyone). This particular instance was a Battle Arms Development lower, which I later tried in a Seekins for $hits and giggles. Glad it worked out all right for you and everyone else though.

Deadwing
28 December 2014, 04:12
As much as i love my Mega lower, my Aero Precision matches it in functionality. The finish on the Mega is a bit more refined, but after a couple trips to the range that didn't matter very much. If the only way your budget will allow you to purchase the awesome ALG ACT trigger is to spend less on the lower, i would go for the Aero Precision lower in a heartbeat.

BoilerUp
28 December 2014, 07:04
In the past month I've built up both an AP lower and a Mega forged lower, almost side by side. While I agree that the Mega finish is outstanding, the AP is actually closer to what a Colt looks like. Mega has a slightly deeper/darker black finish that looks fantastic, but the AP is more likely to match any other upper you may throw on. The AP finish is almost a perfect match for my LMT. So, while I personally agree that the Mega finish is "nicer", I wouldn't really say that it is "better".

Things I do think are better about the Mega forged lower are the slightly flared magwell and the texture on the front of the magwell. The magwell on my Mega is also a tad "tighter" than on my AP. I used a DD LPK on my Mega and a RRA LPK on my AP, and the RRA mag catch wasn't catching on my AP. I swapped the mag catches between builds and that fixed the problem (put the DD catch on the AP and the RRA catch on the Mega). I think that was just a case of tolerance stacking.

The upper/lower fit is, however, much tighter on my AP, using several different uppers. I have a Mega forged upper for my Mega forged lower and is among the "wobbliest" I've ever handled, which really surprised me as everyone likes to talk about Mega's "tightest tolerances". Even with the tensioning screw on the mega, which applies pressure to the rear take-down of the upper, the front lug still wobbles a bit.

I was able to pick up my Mega forged lower for under $100 during a sale (and got the Mega upper for $84). At those prices, the Mega forged sets are tempting.

I also have to say that I have a non-blem AP forged lower and I don't see any tool marks. I think there might have been some minor marks near the rear, but if they are there I can't see them now because my Umbrella Corp. grip covers them up. I personally prefer pictogram over "safe" | "fire", so like AP over Mega in that respect.

But your question boils down to the difference between adding an ALG trigger within your budget or not. In that regard, the ALG trigger will be far more noticeable when you are behind the gun that any difference between the AP and Mega forged lowers. In my analysis, when it comes to standard forged receivers, Aero Precision's pricing makes it very hard to justify buying anything else.

As far as billet, you're generally just paying for aesthetics, so only you can place a value on that for you.

Computalotapus
28 December 2014, 07:57
In the past month I've built up both an AP lower and a Mega forged lower, almost side by side. While I agree that the Mega finish is outstanding, the AP is actually closer to what a Colt looks like. Mega has a slightly deeper/darker black finish that looks fantastic, but the AP is more likely to match any other upper you may throw on. The AP finish is almost a perfect match for my LMT. So, while I personally agree that the Mega finish is "nicer", I wouldn't really say that it is "better".

Things I do think are better about the Mega forged lower are the slightly flared magwell and the texture on the front of the magwell. The magwell on my Mega is also a tad "tighter" than on my AP. I used a DD LPK on my Mega and a RRA LPK on my AP, and the RRA mag catch wasn't catching on my AP. I swapped the mag catches between builds and that fixed the problem (put the DD catch on the AP and the RRA catch on the Mega). I think that was just a case of tolerance stacking.

The upper/lower fit is, however, much tighter on my AP, using several different uppers. I have a Mega forged upper for my Mega forged lower and is among the "wobbliest" I've ever handled, which really surprised me as everyone likes to talk about Mega's "tightest tolerances". Even with the tensioning screw on the mega, which applies pressure to the rear take-down of the upper, the front lug still wobbles a bit.

I was able to pick up my Mega forged lower for under $100 during a sale (and got the Mega upper for $84). At those prices, the Mega forged sets are tempting.

I also have to say that I have a non-blem AP forged lower and I don't see any tool marks. I think there might have been some minor marks near the rear, but if they are there I can't see them now because my Umbrella Corp. grip covers them up. I personally prefer pictogram over "safe" | "fire", so like AP over Mega in that respect.

But your question boils down to the difference between adding an ALG trigger within your budget or not. In that regard, the ALG trigger will be far more noticeable when you are behind the gun that any difference between the AP and Mega forged lowers. In my analysis, when it comes to standard forged receivers, Aero Precision's pricing makes it very hard to justify buying anything else.

As far as billet, you're generally just paying for aesthetics, so only you can place a value on that for you.

Now that is a solid answer

UWone77
28 December 2014, 08:00
Upper and lower "tightness" means nothing. Doesn't affect accuracy.

Just pick whatever you like. Both will serve you well. Mega obviously has a higher end finish, but Aero has the pricing advantage.

JHoward
28 December 2014, 08:00
I really appreciate everyone's input. Sounds like I can't go wrong either way, which is win/win in my book.

BoilerUp
28 December 2014, 09:40
Upper and lower "tightness" means nothing. Doesn't affect accuracy.

Mega obviously feels it means something or they wouldn't have gone through the trouble to include a tensioning screw in their lower. All things equal, I suspect most of us would prefer no wobble. I have no facts/data to support or reject the affect on accuracy, but have to say that it at least seems plausible that introducing movement between my barrel + sight picture and my cheek weld + trigger could affect my shot placement. I'm not worried about it as my Mega set is the foundation for an SPR or DMR build and the tensioning screw removes the wobble anyway. +1 to Mega for that feature.

I probably should have also added that I am confident that the wobble in my Mega combo is just an instance of a low probability occurrence of the match up between my specific upper / lower combo. The same upper has no wobble in my LMT lower and wobbles just a tiny bit in my AP lower. It doesn't erode my confidence in Mega at all.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, my Aero Precision M4E1 upper is extremely difficult to insert/remove the rear takedown pin, which is a bit of a nuisance (just because I can't take out the pin by hand). This holds for whatever lower I place it on, so suspect the hole in the lug is just a tiny bit out of tolerance, or at least at the extreme limit of the tolerance. It's also obviously working itself out over time as I exercise it, so I'm not worried about it.

Mega and Aero are both fine companies that make fine products and I'm thrilled that they are both in my home state so I try to support both.

UWone77
28 December 2014, 09:50
Mega obviously feels it means something or they wouldn't have gone through the trouble to include a tensioning screw in their lower. All things equal, I suspect most of us would prefer no wobble. I have no facts/data to support or reject the affect on accuracy, but have to say that it at least seems plausible that introducing movement between my barrel + sight picture and my cheek weld + trigger could affect my shot placement. I'm not worried about it as my Mega set is the foundation for an SPR or DMR build and the tensioning screw removes the wobble anyway. +1 to Mega for that feature.

I probably should have also added that I am confident that the wobble in my Mega combo is just an instance of a low probability occurrence of the match up between my specific upper / lower combo. The same upper has no wobble in my LMT lower and wobbles just a tiny bit in my AP lower. It doesn't erode my confidence in Mega at all.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, my Aero Precision M4E1 upper is extremely difficult to insert/remove the rear takedown pin, which is a bit of a nuisance (just because I can't take out the pin by hand). This holds for whatever lower I place it on, so suspect the hole in the lug is just a tiny bit out of tolerance, or at least at the extreme limit of the tolerance. It's also obviously working itself out over time as I exercise it, so I'm not worried about it.

Mega and Aero are both fine companies that make fine products and I'm thrilled that they are both in my home state so I try to support both.

The tensioning screw is put there for guys like you, who believe that the "slop" or play between the upper and lower affects accuracy or it bothers them in some way. Having spoken to Mega a few times at the shop, they get all kinds of returns over the smallest issue such as this, so instead of trying to explain it over and over, it's just easier to take them back until the customer is satisfied with their receivers.

This is a common myth that the wobble affects the function of the gun somehow.

GOST
28 December 2014, 10:10
The tightness in fit affects my poor tender fingers trying to push them tight takedown pins out.[BD]

BoilerUp
28 December 2014, 10:49
Why the personal attacks? I never said it affected accuracy. I never said it bothered me. To the contrary, I said "I'm not worried about it". I did my best to stick to facts and qualify statements that were subjective. I apologize if my poor writing allowed any personal opinion to come across as a statement of fact.

I'll admit, though, my fingers are pretty tender.

UWone77
28 December 2014, 10:52
Why the personal attacks? I never said it affected accuracy. I never said it bothered me. To the contrary, I said "I'm not worried about it". I did my best to stick to facts and qualify statements that were subjective. I apologize if my poor writing allowed any personal opinion to come across as a statement of fact.

I'll admit, though, my fingers are pretty tender.

If it came across as a personal attack, my apologies.

There was a mess on aisle 4 on the forum this morning, and it's been going down hill from there. Again, my apologies.

Carry on.

Ordnance
28 December 2014, 11:15
Really.....this has become a bit ridiculous. I merely mentioned I had a problem. I also stated that perhaps I was just unlucky with the kit I received. Nonetheless, I wasn't impressed with the kit overall. Sorry if it hurts your feelings. WOA barrels are superb.....I just happen to choose to buy LPK elsewhere. Probably a one time thing but I really don't feel the need to try again when there are so many quality offerings out there. If you've come across several out of spec lowers perhaps purchasing from a better company would be a better idea. I didn't mention the receiver because I really do not think being in so called "spec" is a problem unless I was diving into the realm of (insert company producing cheap parts known for substandard quality so I do not offend anyone). This particular instance was a Battle Arms Development lower, which I later tried in a Seekins for $hits and giggles. Glad it worked out all right for you and everyone else though.

They weren't mine because I do purchase from quality companies. And you put it out there about your opinion of a product and I simply asked for details which you're making an issue about having to provide. If you don't want people to ask questions about your opinions then probably not the best idea to put it on the internet man. I just wanted to know who made the lower receiver and get the full story because I don't deal in 1/2 the details because it's how you stay informed. If I hear from multiple people about the same issue and all involve one product then it warrants further looking into before acquiring something from that person.

Ordnance
28 December 2014, 11:17
The tensioning screw is put there for guys like you, who believe that the "slop" or play between the upper and lower affects accuracy or it bothers them in some way. Having spoken to Mega a few times at the shop, they get all kinds of returns over the smallest issue such as this, so instead of trying to explain it over and over, it's just easier to take them back until the customer is satisfied with their receivers.

This is a common myth that the wobble affects the function of the gun somehow.

Lol... ^^^Truth

Much like barrel break in instructions...

Gaspipeshooter
28 December 2014, 12:35
This thread and another one remind me of a house full of women who have lived together for a long time. They all get on the same "schedule". Perhaps a lot of us are on the same schedule and menstruating right now...

Eric
28 December 2014, 20:47
FWIW I would hold off on the ALG ACT until you try out the Stag LPK. I've used a couple that came with rather nice triggers, especially after a bit of a break in and decent lube.

DutyUse
28 December 2014, 21:45
FWIW I would hold off on the ALG ACT until you try out the Stag LPK. I've used a couple that came with rather nice triggers, especially after a bit of a break in and decent lube.

I've never shot the stag, but my RRA stock trigger was nice. However for the price the ACT is a great trigger aswell. Mine should be here this week

Either way goodluck with the build :D

UWone77
28 December 2014, 21:51

I agree with this.

Once in awhile you get lucky, and get a decent milspec trigger. The ALG triggers are just nice milspec triggers. No need to upgrade if they are already GTG

JHoward
28 December 2014, 22:44
Good info. I clean all of mine lightly and use grease. I'll try it out before I spend the extra.

Deadwing
3 January 2015, 05:03
Good info. I clean all of mine lightly and use grease. I'll try it out before I spend the extra.

If you happen to get a gritty, creepy trigger with your LPK, you could always try polishing the sear surfaces and "making your own" ALG trigger before spending the money on an actual ALG trigger group. I've taken some truly awful milspec triggers and turned them in to something just about as nice as a ALG QMS using just a little polishing compound and a buffing wheel on my Dremel. You'll just need to take care to not get too crazy with the Dremel, as you don't want to alter the sear geometry and compromise the safety and reliability of the trigger group.

Gaspipeshooter
3 January 2015, 07:02
If you happen to get a gritty, creepy trigger with your LPK, you could always try polishing the sear surfaces and "making your own" ALG trigger before spending the money on an actual ALG trigger group. I've taken some truly awful milspec triggers and turned them in to something just about as nice as a ALG QMS using just a little polishing compound and a buffing wheel on my Dremel. You'll just need to take care to not get too crazy with the Dremel, as you don't want to alter the sear geometry and compromise the safety and reliability of the trigger group.

I've done a few mil-spec triggers using 1000 grit aluminum oxide paper on a piece of glass and honing oil. Amazing difference with very little time and effort.

JHoward
3 January 2015, 16:03
Thanks Deadwing. That's what I meant by "clean". I buff them with a Dremel. I have actually make a few decent feeling triggers, but I keep putting off getting a hardening compound and a good torch or oven.

Deadwing
3 January 2015, 17:34
Thanks Deadwing. That's what I meant by "clean". I buff them with a Dremel. I have actually make a few decent feeling triggers, but I keep putting off getting a hardening compound and a good torch or oven.

Ah, gotcha. I haven't messed with trying to harden anything on my own. I'm worried i'd make it too brittle.