PDA

View Full Version : 80% Lower Jig

DutyUse
29 December 2014, 00:19
Anyone finished an 80% lower themselves, and could recommend a quality jig that could be used multiple times? Any companies known for quality, and any I should avoid?

I cleaned the maintenance barn out today, and re-discovered a really quality stand-up drill press from back in my mechanic days. It has an amazing parts holder/vice built into the drill press, so I'm thinking (maybe naively) that with the right Jig set I could knock some quality lowers out for reasonable prices...

WHSmithIV
29 December 2014, 01:04
Generally, from what I've read since I looked into this also quite a bit also is that it's best to get the jig from the same company that makes the 80% lower. I've been toying around with planning on doing the .308 from an 80% lower when I'll eventually be able to start it.

DutyUse
29 December 2014, 01:14
I'm not super knowledgeable about 80%'s so forgive me if my newb shows a little

But didn't you use to just have to drill out the FCG holes? The jigs im seeing now want you to mill out a good portion of the top of the lower. Are there two different types or did the laws get stricter?

WHSmithIV
29 December 2014, 01:39
with 80% lowers you have to drill out and mill the entire fire control chamber plus the FCG holes. If you go to EP armory's website they have links to some videos showing it done on their 80% polymer lowers. It's pretty much the same for doing it with an aluminum lower.

DutyUse
29 December 2014, 01:50
Can a drill press handle the milling tasks or is a dedicated piece of equipment involved?

Are the jigs full proof or will I screw up a couple in the learning curve phase?

GOST
29 December 2014, 03:11
I've not done one myself but have seen a few done. The drill press will work. The finished product is no where as clean as a 100% lower though. These days though you can buy a 100% cheaper than a 80%. I've seen 100% lowers for as low as $39.

DutyUse
29 December 2014, 03:43
I've not done one myself but have seen a few done. The drill press will work. The finished product is no where as clean as a 100% lower though. These days though you can buy a 100% cheaper than a 80%. I've seen 100% lowers for as low as $39.

I'm not counting my eggs before the hens so I haven't said much, but i'm trying to up my gunsmithing game as a side income (or partial payment for my addiction). I've been slowly acquiring quality tools, and I figured this would give me another gadget in the bat belt of tricks.

The pros I see, custom work (rollmarks, cerakote, nickel boron etc) can be done without FFL hassles. No serial #'s. And honestly the Jigs I've seen are less then 100$ and I have the major equipment already collecting dust...seems i could re coop that cost fairly quickly with just a few lowers I do myself..

But please, I'm new at this, if i'm making a mistake not only tell me, but shake, cuss and beat me into reality lol

GOST
29 December 2014, 04:20
You won't be able to sell completed 80% lowers which I'm sure you know. Most people I know don't mess with the 80% lowers since the market is so saturated that 100% lowers are cheaper. To me the 80% lowers are nothing more than a novelty.

DutyUse
29 December 2014, 04:23
You won't be able to sell completed 80% lowers which I'm sure you know. Most people I know don't mess with the 80% lowers since the market is so saturated that 100% lowers are cheaper. To me the 80% lowers are nothing more than a novelty.

Oh reli. Didn't know that... Well scratch that x.X

That's why you ask

CK 187
29 December 2014, 04:34

A novelty yes, I would be willing to bet that a large portion of units sold are people side stepping the FFL and serial numbers. Followed by DIY guys like me that just love building sh*t and making big chunks of metal into tiny chips of metal

DutyUse
29 December 2014, 04:37
I just figured it would make for some extremely cool one-offs

CK 187
29 December 2014, 04:48
I just figured it would make for some extremely cool one-offs

I think with a mill, you could do some extremely cool one off lightweight units for those guys that don't like the roll marks and all the other markings. I know a few 3 gun guys that have swiss cheese ultra lightweight lowers and that's their number one complaint is the asthetics of it

GOST
29 December 2014, 04:50
Don't know if this will be offered again, but if I'd the revenue I would've done this.

http://www.ar15news.com/2014/09/19/machine-billet-receivers-class-cmt-tactical/

SINNER
29 December 2014, 07:23
Really simple to finish a lower with even a drill press. The jigs with the replaceable plates and drill bushings are the best. Not all jigs fit all lowers. At this point I use the jigs just as a reference and do the milling freehand with a x y table on a quality drill press. Ares makes nice jigs along with a good bit of others for a decent price. I use this jig. Not inexpensive but very accurate.

http://www.cncguns.com/tooling.html

And for the lowers these are the best I have used. Same lower blanks as the Joe Bob's and a few others.

https://newfrontierarmory.com/shop/80-ar-15-billet-lower-receiver/

Donj441
16 January 2015, 13:05
Has anyone looked into Modulus Arms? I've got all of the parts (jig, 80% lower and recommend end mill bit) and will start the "milling" process in a couple of weeks. The reason I mention this company is they recommend a router instead of a drill press.

Computalotapus
16 January 2015, 13:39
I'm not counting my eggs before the hens so I haven't said much, but i'm trying to up my gunsmithing game as a side income (or partial payment for my addiction). I've been slowly acquiring quality tools, and I figured this would give me another gadget in the bat belt of tricks.

The pros I see, custom work (rollmarks, cerakote, nickel boron etc) can be done without FFL hassles. No serial #'s. And honestly the Jigs I've seen are less then 100$ and I have the major equipment already collecting dust...seems i could re coop that cost fairly quickly with just a few lowers I do myself..

But please, I'm new at this, if i'm making a mistake not only tell me, but shake, cuss and beat me into reality lol

Better off getting a laser and doing custom engraving for people

KW900A
19 January 2015, 22:01
Better off getting a laser and doing custom engraving for people

That's an idea! That's one thing hard to get done locally where I live.

DutyUse
20 January 2015, 07:31
Don't know if this will be offered again, but if I'd the revenue I would've done this.

http://www.ar15news.com/2014/09/19/machine-billet-receivers-class-cmt-tactical/

I wanted to badly, I even spoke with them about it, but work had me traveling around the time, didn't want to throw all that $ down and then be a possible no-show.

However I'm talking with Jeff on a date that will work for both of us so I can make a trip down there soon :D

He's gonna laser engrave the WEVO logo on a PSA blank I'm sitting on, and possibly a few mags if time allows. He has been so nice about it, I don't want to burden him with loss of machine time, even though I know those lasers can finish an image in about 60s.