PDA

View Full Version : The Next Build

WHSmithIV
1 January 2015, 03:06
OK - so, my 7.62x39 pistol is almost there. When it is finished, I will start a new build. As much as I'd like to do a .308 rifle, I do still have a couple others I want to build that won't cost as much.

So, I have decided to start the next one in .300 Blackout (I think).

I don't know much about this cartridge - at least nothing from practical experience with it. I certainly have read a lot about it.

My thought with this next design is to build a carbine with a 16" barrel. I need to have a rifle that can be in a scabbard with my horse. I used to have my Marlin 30/30 for that but I sold it with my AR back in September. So, I figure, replace it with a more modern rifle and make a scabbard to fit it. It won't be difficult to made a scabbard to fit an AR .300 carbine with a 20 round mag on it. A 30 round mag won't work well for a scabbard, but a 20 round mag should work just fine.

From all I have found, all 16" barrels will be carbine gas length. OK. that's fine. I'm thinking red dot and flip up irons for this with a 14-15 inch handguard. I have to be able to pull it out of the scabbard quick when I really need it on horseback. I'm certainly going to have to custom make the scabbard for the rifle. The rifle does need range too because I may have to be shooting at a wolf from 200 yards on horseback.

Alternately, I can use a shorter handguard with a railed front sight gas block . That may be the better way to go with this and use something like a simple Magpul handguard. As a scabbard horseback rifle there won't be space of extras like tac lights or extra fore grips.

My next project is most definitely to design and build a scabbard rifle and .223 doesn't make the cut for killing power. I may only get one shot to prevent a pack wolf attack. That shot MUST count. The .223 bullet is just too small. The larger .30 caliber bullet is much better.

As someone pointed out in UWone's thread "why would you not take your best tool?" I fully agree. So, I'm working on designing the best tool for me to take with me for my needs and where I live. I have to have this next rifle in a scabbard on my horse. So, I have to design around that requirement.

Ideas and thoughts are welcome.

-Will-

DutyUse
1 January 2015, 07:06
Sounds like a cool project Will. During your last build I was going thru baby watch 2014 and was broke because of it (eatting rammen in the truck at work) . This time if you need help the words wouldn't be hollow. Goodluck my friend

Computalotapus
1 January 2015, 07:29
As someone pointed out in UWone's thread "why would you not take your best tool?" I fully agree. So, I'm working on designing the best tool for me to take with me for my needs and where I live. I have to have this next rifle in a scabbard on my horse. So, I have to design around that requirement.

Ideas and thoughts are welcome.

-Will-

Marlin 30/30 Lever Action Carbine Rifle with a Burris 2x7 weaver mounted optic. Two reasons behind this rifle:

1. It is tried and true and the best ranch hand rifle anyone could ever ask for. You yourself said you had one and had to sell it when times where tough

2. From your previous post you mention times are tough and you are even selling the Gunstruction rifle you just won to help cover bills. The Marlin is an inexpensive rifle to pick up ( roughly $500 ) invest the other money into a good optic for your yardage. The scabbard doesn't have to be custom made either for it

I grew up on a farm, our family has 1100 acres and we raise dairy cattle and train rodeo/working horses ( cutting, reigning, roping, and ranch hand horses). I have hunted off horse back pretty much all my childhood life and the 30-30 was the go to rifle. Short and easy to maneuver on horse back and compact so its easy to transport on horse back. There is a reason the AR platform has never been accepted by the horse mounted ranchers.. its not practical. Now if you work your farm off a 4 wheeler like a lot of folks do now days sure go for it. But for working the farm off horseback there is no reason to re-invent the wheel

DutyUse
1 January 2015, 08:06
Marlin 30/30 Lever Action Carbine Rifle with a Burris 2x7 weaver mounted optic. Two reasons behind this rifle:

1. It is tried and true and the best ranch hand rifle anyone could ever ask for. You yourself said you had one and had to sell it when times where tough

2. From your previous post you mention times are tough and you are even selling the Gunstruction rifle you just won to help cover bills. The Marlin is an inexpensive rifle to pick up ( roughly $500 ) invest the other money into a good optic for your yardage. The scabbard doesn't have to be custom made either for it

I grew up on a farm, our family has 1100 acres and we raise dairy cattle and train rodeo/working horses ( cutting, reigning, roping, and ranch hand horses). I have hunted off horse back pretty much all my childhood life and the 30-30 was the go to rifle. Short and easy to maneuver on horse back and compact so its easy to transport on horse back. There is a reason the AR platform has never been accepted by the horse mounted ranchers.. its not practical. Now if you work your farm off a 4 wheeler like a lot of folks do now days sure go for it. But for working the farm off horseback there is no reason to re-invent the wheel

I also have a marlin 30-30 that was passed down to me from my grandpa. Took my first few deer with it actually. Still love it. I agree with comp

Ride4frnt
1 January 2015, 08:36
You'll also find that not all .300blk 16" barrels are carbine gas. My noveske 16" is pistol, and I'm fairly certain a lot of others are as well.

schambers
1 January 2015, 08:50
300 blk was designed to be pushed out of a short barrel. Within ~7.5" - 8" all the powder in the cartridge should be burnt up so with a 16" barrel, you won't get a large increase in velocity over a shorter barrel (compared to the numbers you see with 223 and 308 pushed out of longer barrels). In short, you are sacrificing one of the main advantages of the cartridge.

I think if you're really set on having a 16" barrel, you should look at a cartridge that will be able to take advantage of that extra space. If you want to go with 300blk, you should start thinking about a shorter barrel. Just my 2 cents.

*edit*

I also think a lever gun would be cool

BoilerUp
1 January 2015, 08:53
You'll also find that not all .300blk 16" barrels are carbine gas. My noveske 16" is pistol, and I'm fairly certain a lot of others are as well.

I've got a .300 BLK 16" build in my future, too, and am not sure if I should go carbine or pistol. Seems like pistol length would be over-gassed for a 16" barrel but several reputable barrel manufacturers are offering them that way.

I'm just about to wrap up my first .300 BLK build, but it is an 8.5" pistol. I figure if I'm going to have the caliber in inventory, I might as well have a carbine, too.

Ride4frnt
1 January 2015, 09:06
I've got a .300 BLK 16" build in my future, too, and am not sure if I should go carbine or pistol. Seems like pistol length would be over-gassed for a 16" barrel but several reputable barrel manufacturers are offering them that way.

I'm just about to wrap up my first .300 BLK build, but it is an 8.5" pistol. I figure if I'm going to have the caliber in inventory, I might as well have a carbine, too.

Not a single problem with my 16" pistol length. I run a spikes t2 and a Wolff xp spring in it though, so it may be over gassed with a standard buffer setup.

Dstrbdmedic167
1 January 2015, 09:55
Not much to add here other than I agree a lever gun is the best option. It's THE ranch gun. It's been a staple of the west for years.

Another thing to keep in mind is the cost of 300 blk ammo. You built the 7.62x39 pistol BC of the cheap ammo. Good quality hunting ammo for 300blk is $.80-$1+ a round take or give retail. Someone on a tight budget you definitely couldn't afford to shoot it much once built.

mustangfreek
1 January 2015, 15:15
Close this thread up, delete or whatever...no updates will be given...

From admin wevo-ginger-late-night-freek :)

Dstrbdmedic167
1 January 2015, 15:43
Close this thread up, delete or whatever...no updates will be given...

From admin wevo-ginger-late-night-freek :)

👍👍