PDA

View Full Version : Homemade "Shoot and See" targets

Former11B
1 January 2015, 19:07
I got tired of plain old targets a while back and either print homemade one's off the computer, or when I want something a little less ordinary, I make a few of these for the range. Store bought shoot and see targets are pretty pricy, but all you need is some bright neon construction paper, clear packing tape, and spray paint that contrasts with the paper (yellow paper, blue or black paint)

STEP ONE:
Coat a sheet of paper evenly with a layer of packing tape
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/DownSouthTAS/HMtarget2.jpg

STEP TWO:
Paint it (yes this was a hard pic to take)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/DownSouthTAS/HMtarget3.jpg

STEP THREE:
Shoot it!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/DownSouthTAS/HMtarget4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/DownSouthTAS/HMtarget5.jpg

These shots were .223 caliber; it makes a bigger "splash" if you use something like 9mm or .45 ACP.

I've made Bullseyes in the targets by putting a black dot in the middle of the yellow paper, then putting a yellow spray paint over that, then the rest black paint like normal.

FortTom
1 January 2015, 19:40
That's pretty cool...unless I'm shooting from a bench with my spotting scope, I can rarely see the holes in the target past 35 yards or so. I should just take an afternoon and make up bunch of these..

Aberration79
1 January 2015, 19:43
Interesting. And you can just keep patching and painting.

Computalotapus
1 January 2015, 19:46
Nice
Sent from my Windows Phone 8.1

Former11B
1 January 2015, 20:01
Here's a different color scheme. Flat paint vs shiny or satin (pictured) helps reduce glare in the sun

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/DownSouthTAS/BlueShootNC_zpsd1232495.jpg

DutyUse
1 January 2015, 20:05
I thought I was the only one who knew this trick ;)

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u404/FamilyFord23/pew%20pew/targettemplate_zps524363db.jpg
Got tired of free handing spray painting, so made a template. Center circle is roughly 3" with the outer ring at 12". Tough target at 300+

Here's a few of the redneck PVC target holders I made for under 12$ a piece

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u404/FamilyFord23/ar15/Targetstand_zps1532c9a8.jpg

Yes I realize this was for "Shoot-N-C", but I'm too lazy to find photos of our home-made ones lol

toolboxluis00200
1 January 2015, 20:08
oohhhh i like both of your ideas thanks guys

Tyrannosaur
1 January 2015, 20:12
I'll be damned, great little trick I will be using this. Thank you

Former11B
1 January 2015, 20:36
I use E-Type silhouettes as my target holders and made some little holders out of 2x4s, then got even lighter and used 1x1s.

Just stand the target up in them after stapling whatever to it

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/DownSouthTAS/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps00923512.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/DownSouthTAS/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps540b6e00.jpg

Deadwing
1 January 2015, 20:44
Awesome, guys! What a great way to save some money on targets. And i dig the pvc stands. I was thinking of making some from steel, but the pvc will be way cheaper and easier to work with.

DutyUse
1 January 2015, 20:55
Awesome, guys! What a great way to save some money on targets. And i dig the pvc stands. I was thinking of making some from steel, but the pvc will be way cheaper and easier to work with.

11B idea/design will probably be easier. I really like them :)

Good thing about the PVC ones I make though are the targets are about 5' off the ground. Make sure If u use pvc get the glue/sealant that goes with it. Bonds them like steel. The only consumable is the pieces of wood.

When I got more time I'll do a write up on how to make them and dimensions.

Edit: and a HD staple gun is a must. I found one at lowes for under 10$. Normally stapler wouldn't cut it

Computalotapus
1 January 2015, 21:16
I have seen the stands before. Both styles are nice good to mix up shooting heights for shot transitions. I like the shoot and see targets and think I will do some 8x11's for body and then grab some florescent 3x5 cards for heads should be fun next range visit.

Former11B
1 January 2015, 21:21
11B idea/design will probably be easier. I really like them :)

Good thing about the PVC ones I make though are the targets are about 5' off the ground. Make sure If u use pvc get the glue/sealant that goes with it. Bonds them like steel. The only consumable is the pieces of wood.

When I got more time I'll do a write up on how to make them and dimensions.

Edit: and a HD staple gun is a must. I found one at lowes for under 10$. Normally stapler wouldn't cut it

Mine work for bench/prone shooting for 300m and closer. Pistol shooting or rifle shooting at further ranges tall ones like yours would be very useful

DutyUse
1 January 2015, 22:20
Oh btw, we found that the value brand saran wrap is a lot cheaper and covers faster then packing tape. Only thing is after about 40-50 shots you gotta redo it all, no patches...still tho

Former11B
2 January 2015, 00:28
Oh btw, we found that the value brand saran wrap is a lot cheaper and covers faster then packing tape. Only thing is after about 40-50 shots you gotta redo it all, no patches...still tho

I'll give it a try....what do you do, tape it to the back of the paper and stretch it over tightly? When shot, the tape works well because it still sticks, just reveals the color in small patches. Since the Saran wrap doesn't stick all over I wonder how it goes. I'll have to test it tomorrow

DutyUse
2 January 2015, 00:56
Just cover the whole piece of cardboard in Saran Wrap and tape on back. Like I said it probably won't last as long but it should be a whole lot cheaper than packing tape

Former11B
2 January 2015, 07:10
I bought store brand paper and a 3pack of tape from Walmart and it wasn't bad at all. Definitely cheaper than real Shoot N C targets

Pyzik
2 January 2015, 08:14
This is pretty cool. I've got TONS of 'neon' colored paper at work and have wondered before if I could make my own. The tape is where I was failing.

Thanks for sharing.

akersc
2 January 2015, 09:38
Pssst..... I FB stalked you- I didn't realize how pretty you were ;-)
This is pretty cool. I've got TONS of 'neon' colored paper at work and have wondered before if I could make my own. The tape is where I was failing.

Thanks for sharing.

Pyzik
2 January 2015, 09:58
Pssst..... I FB stalked you- I didn't realize how pretty you were ;-)
I'm the guy in my profile pic, not the chick. :P

akersc
2 January 2015, 09:58
I'm the guy in my profile pic, not the chick. :P

Oh I know, I'd of said hot if I was talking about her 😉

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pyzik
2 January 2015, 10:01
Oh I know, I'd of said hot if I was talking about her 😉

:cool: Pretty in pink! Haha

akersc
2 January 2015, 10:02
:cool: Pretty in pink! Haha

Maybe Richard should change your handle to princess 😬

Pyzik
2 January 2015, 10:12
Maybe Richard should change your handle to princess 😬

Oh, jeez.... Luckily you've got it taken.

I'll admit, I stumbled on your instagram and stalked you first. I had to see who this gun toting chive goddess was.

akersc
2 January 2015, 10:57
Oh, jeez.... Luckily you've got it taken.

I'll admit, I stumbled on your instagram and stalked you first. I had to see who this gun toting chive goddess was.

No one special, just a little sassy spaz is all

Pyzik
2 January 2015, 11:31
No one special, just a little sassy spaz is all

Hey I wasn't disappointed.

Jerry R
2 January 2015, 13:56
Former11B, sorry I know it's off topic, but others posted target stand info --------- so here's mine:

The National Wild Turkey Federation had dimensions for a pretty neat target stand. I did some Excel calculations to see the most cost effective cutting. They call for 2" Schedule-40 PVC. If you buy three 10 foot pipes you can make four stands with minimal scrap. Total cost was less than a C-Note for four stands with 2x2 furring strips. If you want the cutting guide, let me know. Cell phone pix below.

Picture of the cut and glued pieces - if you only glue these pieces it comes apart for easier transport:

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/pdogkilr/NWTFTargetStand-CutPieces_zps590c9d49.jpg~original

Picture of one stand assembled - you can use 1x2 or 2x2 furring strips cut to any height you want. Dimensions fit standard target boards.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/pdogkilr/NWTFTargetStand-Assembled_zpsfc18ec1b.jpg~original

DutyUse
2 January 2015, 14:05
Former11B, sorry I know it's off topic, but others posted target stand info --------- so here's mine:

The National Wild Turkey Federation had dimensions for a pretty neat target stand. I did some Excel calculations to see the most cost effective cutting. They call for 2" Schedule-40 PVC. If you buy three 10 foot pipes you can make four stands with minimal scrap. Total cost was less than a C-Note for four stands with 2x2 furring strips. If you want the cutting guide, let me know. Cell phone pix below.

Picture of the cut and glued pieces - if you only glue these pieces it comes apart for easier transport:

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/pdogkilr/NWTFTargetStand-CutPieces_zps590c9d49.jpg~original

Picture of one stand assembled - you can use 1x2 or 2x2 furring strips cut to any height you want. Dimensions fit standard target boards.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/pdogkilr/NWTFTargetStand-Assembled_zpsfc18ec1b.jpg~original

Wow looks good Jerry! I like how you only glued certain pieces for easy takedown & transport. I live on my range so my stands rarely move so I wanted maximum strength. They've held up pretty good. If I know it's gonna storm real bad I'll put em in the barn.

I would also like the plans if you'd PM them. Can never have to many things to shoot at :)

Jerry R
2 January 2015, 14:29
PM Sent

Computalotapus
2 January 2015, 15:56
Those are sweet looking stands Jerry

Deadwing
2 January 2015, 16:37

Nice! You guy's are giving me all sorts of good ideas in this thread!

Computalotapus
4 January 2015, 14:13
Picked up some construction paper, packing tape, and black paint today. Made a bunch of targets and still have material left over to make more. The construction paper was a variety pack 250 count. Pulled out the yellow, orange, and pink to make targets with. Separated the red, white and blue going to dip those in some fiberglass resin and put between some boards with some c-clamps to make some nice micarta. Layered the colors about 10 sheets per color so when you put the dremel to it should turn out real nice. Will drop the micarta off to a local kid ( 16 ) that is trying to get started making knifes. Think he will get about 3-4 sets of scales out of it.

DutyUse
4 January 2015, 14:18
Picked up some construction paper, packing tape, and black paint today. Made a bunch of targets and still have material left over to make more. The construction paper was a variety pack 250 count. Pulled out the yellow, orange, and pink to make targets with. Separated the red, white and blue going to dip those in some fiberglass resin and put between some boards with some c-clamps to make some nice micarta. Layered the colors about 10 sheets per color so when you put the dremel to it should turn out real nice. Will drop the micarta off to a local kid ( 16 ) that is trying to get started making knifes. Think he will get about 3-4 sets of scales out of it.

Nice comp. Post some pics of how they turn out after being shot

Computalotapus
17 January 2015, 13:12
I took my homemade shoot and see targets with me today. A local LEO officer is helping tune up my shooting. He has a range in his backyard that he does CPL classes, basic pistol and carbine classes, defensive pistol and carbine classes, and low light classes. I asked if I could bring the homemade targets out to see how they worked and he had no problem with it. For my test sample I didn't spend a lot of time on them just taped the fronts and backs of the construction paper and painted over the front. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures but they worked decent enough. Not as good as the store bought ones but you can definitely see the round hits on them. We started from 50 yards and worked our way in moving and shooting with the rifles I could start clearly seeing my hits around the 35 yds marker. Transitions to pistols started at 25yds and it was definitely very easy to pick out hits at that range.

I think I will take the time and do some nice ones for myself. Maybe do a white coat of paint let it dry lay down a 5 ring stencil and paint black let it dry pull the stencil off should be able to see the rings from 50 yards.

DutyUse
17 January 2015, 16:23
I took my homemade shoot and see targets with me today. A local LEO officer is helping tune up my shooting. He has a range in his backyard that he does CPL classes, basic pistol and carbine classes, defensive pistol and carbine classes, and low light classes. I asked if I could bring the homemade targets out to see how they worked and he had no problem with it. For my test sample I didn't spend a lot of time on them just taped the fronts and backs of the construction paper and painted over the front. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures but they worked decent enough. Not as good as the store bought ones but you can definitely see the round hits on them. We started from 50 yards and worked our way in moving and shooting with the rifles I could start clearly seeing my hits around the 35 yds marker. Transitions to pistols started at 25yds and it was definitely very easy to pick out hits at that range.

I think I will take the time and do some nice ones for myself. Maybe do a white coat of paint let it dry lay down a 5 ring stencil and paint black let it dry pull the stencil off should be able to see the rings from 50 yards.

awesome bro glad it worked, i have found the neon yellow poster board at dollar store (2 for 1$ here) work best for visual. Pinks, blues etc get hard to see at distance

Computalotapus
17 January 2015, 16:27
awesome bro glad it worked, i have found the neon yellow poster board at dollar store (2 for 1$ here) work best for visual. Pinks, blues etc get hard to see at distance

I just bought the variety pack of construction paper. Took all the neon, orange, yellow, and pink to make the targets with. Picked up the 250 count variety pack for $3 from Wally world

Former11B
17 January 2015, 17:53
I just bought the variety pack of construction paper. Took all the neon, orange, yellow, and pink to make the targets with. Picked up the 250 count variety pack for $3 from Wally world

That's the pack I get. Glad they worked for you the other day. Not quite as good as the real deal but waaaaaaayyyy cheaper

DutyUse
18 January 2015, 00:28

That's the pack I get. Glad they worked for you the other day. Not quite as good as the real deal but waaaaaaayyyy cheaper

Ohhhh I meant the HUGE poster board size. Ok ya packing tape would work better.

The ones I'm using/referring to are like 2.5'x2.5'. Dang I need to try y'alls