PDA

View Full Version : For those with a MagnetoSpeed Chrony...

SwissyJim
2 January 2015, 08:31
If you happen to have a MagnetoSpeed Chronograph (LOVE mine), they released a pistol/picatinny rail mount option today:

https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t31.0-8/10854844_840467922662322_7479088569893894010_o.png

https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t31.0-8/10537910_840467862662328_4237810741551989823_o.jpg

Available HERE (http://www.magnetospeed.com/collections/magnetospeed-accessories/products/v3-rail-adapter)

Already ordered mine, and should be here soon. They also have a soft case now, but I don't see it on their site. I won one from their Facebook page, so that will be here soon too.

SeattleDude
14 January 2015, 12:42
I am thinking about buying a Magnetospeed V3 and their new rail adapter.

This way I can use it on some of my pistols and rails that are next muzzle device.

How you guys like yours?

What is best place to buy from with best price?

My understanding is that I would not be shooting for accuracy nodes with it attached to the barrel because it will change harmonics of the barrel.

So shooting for groups and then measuring speed would be in two separate steps. That will take some extra rounds to chrono for speed after accuracy testing.

I am imagining that it will worth it since you don't have to mess with stupid tripods and setting up bulky chrono and make every ones life on range harder =)

gatordev
14 January 2015, 13:28
What is best place to buy from with best price?

My understanding is that I would not be shooting for accuracy nodes with it attached to the barrel because it will change harmonics of the barrel.

So shooting for groups and then measuring speed would be in two separate steps. That will take some extra rounds to chrono for speed after accuracy testing.

I am imagining that it will worth it since you don't have to mess with stupid tripods and setting up bulky chrono and make every ones life on range harder =)

I did a brief write up about my V2 somewhere here in the last few months. I've been very happy with mine. I think I got mine from Midway when it was on sale and I had a coupon. It was probably on sale because the V3 was coming. Some takeaways from my experience:

-It will absolutely mess with your zero when it's attached (if not using the pic rail mount). Just something to know going in.

-If not using the pic rail (I never have since it's a new addition), it can be a little fiddly at first to get the correct inserts and make it tight. It's not hard, you just need to be patient if you're setting it up for a new gun. I was hopping back and forth between suppressed and unsuppressed on two guns (a .308 and a MK12), so I was having to readjust the inserts.

-Make sure you use the guide rod and then double check your work after the first shot. Ask me how I know. That said, the chrono part took a glancing blow by a .308 round and is still working perfectly. It wasn't a direct shot, just a "kiss" to the top enough to leave a brass-colored mark, but it could have been worse if I hadn't checked and noticed it had come loose (my fault in securing it, not a failure of the device).

SwissyJim
15 January 2015, 21:18
I went out Monday with mine, and the new picatinny adapter. Couple of things... on my glock, it works FANTASTIC. Did not have a single missed shot in all I did. You have to take the strap off to run the adapter, but it's damn easy to take on and off.

But, with the adapter, I cannot run it on one of my AR's. I run a SBR, with a rail that the suppressor rides underneath. So it's a larger diameter rail - Seekings MCSRv2- and putting the V3 with the rail adapter on - which makes me use a keymod to 1913 adapter- creates too much space between the bullet path and the bayonet on the chrony- it will not read it. I asked them on Facebook if they were doing a keymod mount and he said they were talking about it. BUT, using the standard strap mount works fine. So if you are planning on using the picatinny adapter, make sure you check the dimensions needed for the unit to read. But again, with the standard strap mount it does work on my SBR.

Overall I love mine. I did not have a chrony before, so it was easy to justify getting one. Plus not having to set up the wands, and the ability to use it in low light, cloudy days and so on was a huge bonus for me here in AK... I frequently go to the range after hours so I'll still be able to test loads. It is more expensive, so if I already had owned a chrony, I'm not sure I would have upgraded until it stopped working, o at least was able to sell it. I too got mine at MidwayUSA.

Biggest drawback is as gator says - make damn sure the bayo is spaced properly. And, check strap tightness OFTEN. Like 5 shots often. I have a beautiful spiral line on my bayo that shows the rotation of a bullet very nicely, so I learned to check it and tighten often. Unit still works great too![:D] And needing to swap spacers for different weapons is a pain at first, but after a couple of times you lean which gun uses which spacer and it's a snap.