PDA

View Full Version : Suppressor info video from MAC

VIPER 237
2 January 2015, 14:32
Here is one of the better videos out there that explains the basics of suppressors.

http://youtu.be/2HzMLvrF6u4

I've met Evan from Griffin before at Shot and he's a big tall guy, but wow Tim (Mac) must be 6'6".

Former11B
2 January 2015, 19:46
Thanks for the video.

I'm a big fan of Griffin cans....a lot of positive things coming from them in the last few years. Their M4-SDII is high on my list...I like the latch (reminds me of an NT4) and the Recce 5 also is appealing because of the precison shooting I do...but should I take the plunge and go Reflex/Over the Barrel???? lol decisions....

toolboxluis00200
2 January 2015, 20:37
i have seen this video before thers alot of good info

alamo5000
2 January 2015, 21:36
Thanks for the video. That is great info and extremely informative. I have been slowly researching suppression because once the bank account gets built up again I am seriously considering getting into the whole suppression thing (trust, tax stamps, etc etc).

I would like to shoot (or listen to other people shoot) various suppressed firearms before I haul off and say what I want. That said that little .22 pistol... holy smokes. NICE. The 300 BO. WOW. I might build a BO upper just because of that alone.

It seems like if you are shooting sonic 5.56/.223 that the true suppression of the system doesn't seem like a lot. The main thing in that case is just being able to shoot without muffs on...which I assume is doable. Honestly I have a lot to learn before I really get into the game.

Former11B
4 January 2015, 05:35
Thanks for the video. That is great info and extremely informative. I have been slowly researching suppression because once the bank account gets built up again I am seriously considering getting into the whole suppression thing (trust, tax stamps, etc etc).

I would like to shoot (or listen to other people shoot) various suppressed firearms before I haul off and say what I want. That said that little .22 pistol... holy smokes. NICE. The 300 BO. WOW. I might build a BO upper just because of that alone.

It seems like if you are shooting sonic 5.56/.223 that the true suppression of the system doesn't seem like a lot. The main thing in that case is just being able to shoot without muffs on...which I assume is doable. Honestly I have a lot to learn before I really get into the game.

Suppressing supersonic rounds still does a lot of good. in 5.56, going from 165+ dB to 132-136dB is a huge difference. In a bolt action rifle, the difference at the shooter's ear is even more noticeable. You can go from a jarring, still slightly noisy experience with ear plugs (I don't like ear muffs, they catch on the stock in the prone and are hot in the summer) to a pleasant, no hearing damage day of shooting. And the benefits go beyond hearing: overall signature reduction, recoil reduction or softer shooting rifles, less intrusive if you have neighbors, new shooters/kids are much less bothered or intimidated by the gun going off...the list goes on

300BLK is great, but subsonic ammo is expensive and not always available unless you reload. It also has a maximum range of around 400m with supersonic ammo whereas 5.56 passes that in a 69-77gr bullet. I personally don't have a use for it where I can't make my 5.56 or .308 work.