PDA

View Full Version : BCM Intermediate Receiver Extension A5

GOST
2 January 2015, 22:28
Unlike the Vltor A5 this booger has 8 positions.

http://cdn3.volusion.com/j4enh.r2en5/v/vspfiles/photos/BCM-INTERMEDIATE-RE-3T.jpg

http://cdn3.volusion.com/j4enh.r2en5/v/vspfiles/photos/BCM-INTERMEDIATE-RE-2T.jpg

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Intermediate-Receiver-Extension-A5-Buffer-Tub-p/bcm-intermediate-re.htm

DutyUse
2 January 2015, 22:32
Awesome! Always wanted to to try the A5 system. I might end up with this on the Noveske build

DutyUse
9 March 2015, 23:18
Anyone try one of these? Will any stock work?

Using decent ammo I shouldn't have any problems on a BCM 14.5 middy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

din
10 March 2015, 01:54
Any stock that takes a standard mil-spec diameter receiver extension will work with an A5 RE, but at least on the Vltor units, stocks with a short overall length won' t collapse far enough to fit flush with the lower. The Vltor Emod at least is long enough, but my B5 SOPMOD doesn't close past the second position (not that I ever collapse mine all the way anyway). I was under the impression that the BCM A5 tubes with the extra position will allow full closure of shorter stocks, but I might be smoking crack since I can't remember where I saw that. I'm still waiting for the one from V7 to drop, but if it doesn't happen by the time I get a stamp I'll probably try out the new BCM model.

As long as your rifle runs well in its current configuration you won't have any problems with an A5. A LOT has been written about the A5 over on M4C if you want to do some research.

SINNER
10 March 2015, 05:54
The A5 basically runs the same as a rifle system buffer without the additional length. They are much more forgiving as to the upper being used than most buffer/spring combinations. The only time I have had any issues with the A5 is with exactly what DutyUse is asking about. My VLTOR A5 had issues with a 14.5" middy Daniel Defense barrel'ed set up. Ejection pattern was erratic and almost never locked back on a empty mag. I find that most DD barrels are slightly over-gassed due to larger than most gas ports. I would expect similar or worse results on other manufacturers barrels.

GOST
10 March 2015, 06:52
Anyone try one of these? Will any stock work?

Using decent ammo I shouldn't have any problems on a BCM 14.5 middy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The A5 basically runs the same as a rifle system buffer without the additional length. They are much more forgiving as to the upper being used than most buffer/spring combinations. The only time I have had any issues with the A5 is with exactly what DutyUse is asking about. My VLTOR A5 had issues with a 14.5" middy Daniel Defense barrel'ed set up. Ejection pattern was erratic and almost never locked back on a empty mag. I find that most DD barrels are slightly over-gassed due to larger than most gas ports. I would expect similar or worse results on other manufacturers barrels.

I agree with what SINNER says. My BCM mid-length has a smaller gas port and will not lock back with some lower pressure ammo. It's on a rifle with a carbine length receiver extension and H buffer.

DutyUse
10 March 2015, 11:58
Okay, thanks guys.

Will a 16" noveske mid length run into the same problems? Can't I always fine tune it with buffer & spring weight combos? Or am I better off sticking with a regular carbine buffer system? Sorry not very familiar with the A5 system but would like to try it out.

SINNER
10 March 2015, 18:46
16" mid length and 18" rifle lengths run just fine on it.