PDA

View Full Version : M84 Gas Buster Charging Handle

DepletedUranium
31 August 2007, 17:07
Hi, i have a few questions about this perticular item, so ill begin. First off how well does it actually perform by keeping the harmful gases away from your face, i've heard a lot of people flame this product and they've stated that it's not really worth getting unless ur going to be running a suppresor and that it's basically a charging handle with a big latch on it, so i wanted some opinions from first hand people who've actually used this product, thank you.

Stickman
1 September 2007, 09:27
A large portion of it will be based off your intended use. Yes, its a high quality and well built piece that works well, but the bigger question is if you need it or not based on what you do with your weapon.

If you aren't running a can, there probably isn't much need for it, but even without a can it doesn't change that it works.

I like the M84 latch, but since I don't run a can, I have swapped out just the portion that I need for my duty and training weapons. The standard latch on the charging handle works well enough, but for $20 I can afford the upgrade without shedding any tears.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/AR15%20Carbines/IMG_4269%20Stick.jpg

riverider4741
5 September 2007, 09:51
I have one and it is a well designed and it's strong. It might not really be needed since I don't have a can on the end of my bbl. but I have noticed many other standard cast charging handles have failed when needed. I Have not noticed anyone using a PRI having it fail.[:)]

Fireman1291
8 September 2007, 17:02
Ill be buying one. I should be getting increased back pressure from the Fsc556 comp. I havent shot it yet, but I need a larger charging handle anyway, so what the heck.

Invicta
20 September 2007, 20:42
The big latch is a must have, I just ordered four. I don't have a can yet so I can't see spending the money on the complete CH.

Todd
21 September 2007, 01:12
Ill be buying one. I should be getting increased back pressure from the Fsc556 comp. I havent shot it yet, but I need a larger charging handle anyway, so what the heck.

You shouldn't get enough back pressure from the FSC556 to need a gas buster - in fact; I would say you won't even notice any additional pressure coming through the gas system.

That being said - I personally love the gas busters. Not really for their intended purpose of redirecting gas, but they are just a well built very strong latch and I like the way they feel. Once you get used to them - everything else feels flimsy.

Some will say that a super strong charging handle isn't needed... and to that I say, "when is the last time your lower receiver broke?" Yet we still want/need billet lowers. [:D]

Just my thoughts -

Todd

gotm4
21 September 2007, 04:36
I use Gas Busters for most of my ARs, and definately for suppressed ARs or ones with Noveske KX3s mounted. I even use one on my 3gun rifle........I've broken a regular charging handle trying to clear a really bad jam a few years ago, it cracked in half I don't know if regular ones are forged or cast. I think the PRI might be billet but I'm not certain.

Here's some pics of one w/flat latch compared to a standard CH w/Badger Gen 2 latch.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/SWpics013.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/SWpics014.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/SWpics015.jpg

Quib
21 September 2007, 06:39
I’ve been considering adding just the “latch” itself to my SAM-R clones CH. Pulling the CH with a scope mounted can be cumbersome at times.

Impact
1 November 2007, 15:17
I thought the standard CH was forged not cast ?

Stickman
3 November 2007, 23:14
I thought the standard CH was forged not cast ?

The good ones are, but some of the cheap ones are worth staying well away from.

Impact
4 November 2007, 18:57
so If i stick with CMT, LMT, Bushmaster, RRA..I'm good to go ?

thanks

Stickman
4 November 2007, 21:09
I stick with the CMT/ LMT myself. I'm not sure that RRA and Bushmaster stay with the same supplier, so I can't comment with them. I've seen some flexible CH that supposedly came out of those weapons, but I never saw them from a point where they were new, so parts could have been changed out. These were weapons in an instructor carbine class, and they were unsat.

markm
5 November 2007, 13:58
I just run Bravo Co. (if I remeber right) charging handles. They're really good standard charging handles.

I've heard stories of soldiers beating the living hell out of Basic Training charging handles without an issue.... I'd have to guess that cast ones are leaking into circulation.... I've never seen a CH break.

I run an M4-1000 can on my 14.5" barrel (which from what I hear is about the worst lenghth of barrel for gas), and I don't hardly even notice the gas. Every so often I'll get a little whiff or something, but I almost never even think about it.

fogofwar
5 November 2007, 16:03
I purchased the PRI big latch (only) for my Middy and it is a quality compenent and much more user friendly than the stock latch. It was a simple switchout with a roll pin puch and starter sets I got from Midway.

I could not justify spending a lot of $$$ on a CH that I could not get my hands on or even get a good picture of on the net. If PRI would post pics like the ones above on their web page with a little more detail they would probalby sell more units--I would have bought one if I knew they were THAT beefy.

NvrenufRR
7 November 2007, 11:33
I have the PRI GB and standard CH from various Manuf. I don't notice any difference in gas on non-suppressed shooting, but the quality is much improved in the PRI.
I'd personally stick with a CMT/LMT Colt or other quality handle and just upgrade the latch to a more friendly one.

carbinero
7 December 2007, 13:13
I did the silicone trick and am satisfied with it. Does the GB do a better job of redirecting gas than that? There are a few companies (e.g. CMMG, PK) which specifically sell "forged" CHs for maybe $15 more than standard. They also sell those with the PRI big latch installed.

LittleLebowski
26 December 2007, 05:29
I had a friend (very strong guy, benches over 400) contort a charging handle into somewhat of an S curve. No idea on the brand but it was a bad jam on a PWA/Armalite build.

SuicideHz
13 March 2008, 16:26
I did the silicone trick and am satisfied with it. Does the GB do a better job of redirecting gas than that? There are a few companies (e.g. CMMG, PK) which specifically sell "forged" CHs for maybe $15 more than standard. They also sell those with the PRI big latch installed.

The PRI redirects the gas while the silicon trick just "plugs" up the gaps in the rear of the receiver. I would guess enough suppressed shooting might break apart the silicon.

Jeff uses silicon on his rifles with the G5 mounts and I don't think he's had a problem yet.

DepletedUranium
24 March 2008, 13:59
The PRI redirects the gas while the silicon trick just "plugs" up the gaps in the rear of the receiver. I would guess enough suppressed shooting might break apart the silicon.

Jeff uses silicon on his rifles with the G5 mounts and I don't think he's had a problem yet.

If the silicon just plugs up the gas and PRI redirects wouldnt the silicon be doing some damage somehow but not expelling or redirecting it correctly?

SuicideHz
24 March 2008, 17:54
No, the silicon keeps it from "leaking" out the back and finding it's way to your face. It still has plenty of places elsewhere to go...

Vise
28 July 2010, 20:04
Is there any reason to run a gas buster with a piston driven system? I guess I don't fully understand where the gas goes in a piston system. Does the piston system eliminate the possibility of getting gas face? Would there be any advantage to running a PRI gas buster over something like the gunfighter? I know the gunfighter is about half the price of the gas buster. I will be running a Gemtech can.

Edit:
I found a link that shows the difference between the two systems and answered my own question. I guess there is no reason to ever use a gas buster charging handle with a piston system.
http://www.internationalpolicesupply.net/lwrc2.htm

corlissimo
31 January 2011, 03:14
Silly noob question here since I'm still putting together my parts list for my first build, but would the GB be of any real benefit to a Southpaw shooter or are the gasses just not that big a deal?

freebug
19 May 2012, 23:42
The Gasbuster does come in handy with a CMMG 22lr conversion kit. For some reason when I use the kit, more gas gets blown back into the receiver. This does not happen with 5.56. Don't known why.

FortTom
20 May 2012, 13:21
I purchased a LMT complete lower, and LMT upper (stripped). For a charging handle, I purchased the PRI gas buster. It's beefey, and the build quality is great. I'm using a 16 in. barrel, and where the real advantage is, is not so much while standing, etc..the real advantage of the gas busting attribute is when shooting from the bench off of a stand or bags, while leaning into the scope. I had previously tried the "poor man's" solution, on another build by filling the gap with silicone, but it eventually started breaking apart, and I didn't want bits of silicone possibly jamming or otherwise mucking up the firearm. I think I paid $89 for the PRI, which when you consider the total cost of a build, really isn't that bad. If you have any doubt that your firearm is venting gas through the charging handle (PRI), have someone hold a piece of paper on the right side of the charging handle, as you fire a 3 round string. I also like the size of the latch. Bottom line, it worked out for me, and I have no regrets with purchasing it.

FT.

Stickman
20 May 2012, 13:50
The new BCM handle is another option worth checking out.