PDA

View Full Version : New Vortex scope-1-6x24 Strike Eagle

mustangfreek
10 January 2015, 19:18
Was just cruising Vortex's site and seen they are coming out with a new 1-6 scope around summer time, called the strike eagle.

Link to vortex page and description http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-strike-eagle-1-6x24-riflescope-ar-bdc-reticle

30mm tube
CR2032 battery
SFP - AR-BDC reticle
MSRP of $429 on vortex's site, so street price should be a little lower id imagine

http://www.vortexoptics.com/uploads/rfl_strike-eagle_1-6x24_fr-t.jpg

http://www.vortexoptics.com/uploads/rfl_strike-eagle_1-6x24_bl-t.jpg

http://www.vortexoptics.com/uploads/ret_strike-eagle_ar-bdc_moa-t.jpg

BoilerUp
10 January 2015, 19:53
The resemblance to the PA 1-6x24 is uncanny

JHoward
10 January 2015, 20:02
I'm going to end up pulling the trigger on one of these 1-6's soon.... Gotta have more magnification.

GOST
10 January 2015, 20:04

They do look very similar, I wonder if Vortex makes the PA?

Slippers
10 January 2015, 20:04

It's almost cerainly the same scope, made in the same factory, with just different branding.

alamo5000
10 January 2015, 20:12
I am quietly eyeballing scopes. This one is a possibility.

Peckerinak
11 January 2015, 00:31
Was gonna go buy the Viper PST 1-4x tomorrow, might have to put it off awhile.

gatordev
11 January 2015, 08:06
But it's yet another BDC reticule on a SFP scope. The BDC will only work at one point of the pretty wide range of mag (same with PA). I just don't really understand why these are a thing, other than the cost being much less than a FFP.

Check that. I can see how these are great for a static plinking rifle (which can be plenty of fun), but otherwise...

voodoo_man
11 January 2015, 08:06
wow that's cheap...

Ride4frnt
11 January 2015, 08:36
You wanna know what the difference is in the PA and this? Vortex's awesome warranty and customer service. I've heard PA has good CS, but the 3 year warranty on their 1-6 is no match for vortex's no bullshit lifetime warranty.

I love my PA for the price I paid, but had this been out at the time, I'd have pulled the trigger on an extra hundred bucks to get the warranty and care that I've come to know from vortex.

JHoward
11 January 2015, 09:00
Would this be a better option that the Bushnell 1-4x 24mm Throw Down PCL?

alamo5000
11 January 2015, 09:33

I'm using the the throwdown now. I'm starting to get a decent feel for it. I would like to try other optics and do a side by side comparison. I'm on the prowl now for some alternatives. Maybe not because the Bushnell is bad...but it would allow me to learn more and develop more preferences.

Ordnance
11 January 2015, 23:23
But it's yet another BDC reticule on a SFP scope. The BDC will only work at one point of the pretty wide range of mag (same with PA). I just don't really understand why these are a thing, other than the cost being much less than a FFP.

Check that. I can see how these are great for a static plinking rifle (which can be plenty of fun), but otherwise...

Almost no one is doing a FFP in anything less than a 1-8x or 10x unfortunately. Even then on a 1-6 when I see most guys running them even in the Razor HDs and the S&Bs they're on max magnification anyways. The reason a lot of glass companies are going with BDCs in even the cheaper brands are because most people buying them want it because they think it's cool when in reality 9 out of 10 will never shoot them farther than 100-200yds lol.

UWone77
11 January 2015, 23:42

This optic looks interesting.

I'm tempted to buy one to try it out. Anyone find a good price on these?

DutyUse
11 January 2015, 23:55

Optics planet has them for 265 before 10% off code. Cheapest I could find.

rob_s
12 January 2015, 03:06
My main complaint about the Primary Arms is that the entire ranging reticule lights up, with the tree hanging down from the way too far for my liking. This Vortex seems to have cured that, somewhat.

What I would prefer is that just the circle and dot light up on the Primary Arms version.

rob_s
12 January 2015, 03:10

My complaint about almost all of the 1-4x optics on the market is that they don't offer anything over the 1-6x. If the 1-4x at least weighed less, or cost significantly less, or had the reticule I want, I might go with one, but right now all the 1-4x weigh just as much as the 1-6x so I'd rather have the extra 2x just in case.

gatordev
12 January 2015, 04:13
Almost no one is doing a FFP in anything less than a 1-8x or 10x unfortunately. Even then on a 1-6 when I see most guys running them even in the Razor HDs and the S&Bs they're on max magnification anyways. The reason a lot of glass companies are going with BDCs in even the cheaper brands are because most people buying them want it because they think it's cool when in reality 9 out of 10 will never shoot them farther than 100-200yds lol.

Yeah, I hear you. Just seems silly when you have a variable optic. I know I'm preaching to the choir. One reason why I've been eying the SWFA 1-4 and 1-6 models is because they have a standard mil reticule (so I can build my own drops on any rifle/caliber) and because it's FFP, which makes the variable-ness useful. But as rob_s has pointed out, they're all very heavy.

alamo5000
12 January 2015, 04:50

The cheapest I've seen was like $200 to the door. The going price is between $200-225

Ordnance
12 January 2015, 07:31
My main complaint about the Primary Arms is that the entire ranging reticule lights up, with the tree hanging down from the way too far for my liking. This Vortex seems to have cured that, somewhat.

What I would prefer is that just the circle and dot light up on the Primary Arms version.

That only makes sense if you want to use it as basically a 6x magnified red dot. The reason you need the entire tree lit on a reticle is for holdovers against darker foregrounds or at night which is what illuminated reticles are intended to be used for. Just lighting a dot and circle would make it difficult to see your marks at distance unless the foreground is a stark contrast.

Ordnance
12 January 2015, 07:37
Yeah, I hear you. Just seems silly when you have a variable optic. I know I'm preaching to the choir. One reason why I've been eying the SWFA 1-4 and 1-6 models is because they have a standard mil reticule (so I can build my own drops on any rifle/caliber) and because it's FFP, which makes the variable-ness useful. But as rob_s has pointed out, they're all very heavy.

I don't like BDCs because I think they're a joke unless you're shooting the exact load, in the exact conditions, with the exact same platform it was developed for. You're definitely on the right track developing your own dope and using the reticle as such. As for heaviness I'll say the same thing to you that I say to everyone to be fair... Go work out, lol! The better glass is always going to be on the heavier side, but with it comes all the advantages. I also like a heavier rifle if I'm going to be doing more precision distance shooting. The weight reduces recoil which improves tracking, and it helps create more stability for positional shooting.

JHoward
12 January 2015, 08:22

Palmetto State Armory has them for $200.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/bushnell-ar-optics-1-4x-24mm-throw-down-pcl-ar91424i.html

rob_s
12 January 2015, 09:47
As for heaviness I'll say the same thing to you that I say to everyone to be fair... Go work out, lol!

and I'll say the same thing to you that I say to everyone that spouts that nonsense...

Heavier is heavier! nobody in their right mind is choosing a heavier item over a lighter one when the lighter one works just as well. No matter the strength of the person, you can carry X weight for Y time, and as X increases, Y decreases. That's just a plain fact. More weight leads to quicker fatigue whether you're Lou Ferigno or Ed Grimley.

rob_s
12 January 2015, 09:50
That only makes sense if you want to use it as basically a 6x magnified red dot. The reason you need the entire tree lit on a reticle is for holdovers against darker foregrounds or at night which is what illuminated reticles are intended to be used for. Just lighting a dot and circle would make it difficult to see your marks at distance unless the foreground is a stark contrast.

Not necessarily.

There are plenty of optics, even from higher-end manufacturers, and endorsed by various "real deal" dudes that light u ponly a portion of the reticule, from a dot, to a horshoe, etc.

Ordnance
12 January 2015, 10:27
and I'll say the same thing to you that I say to everyone that spouts that nonsense...

Heavier is heavier! nobody in their right mind is choosing a heavier item over a lighter one when the lighter one works just as well. No matter the strength of the person, you can carry X weight for Y time, and as X increases, Y decreases. That's just a plain fact. More weight leads to quicker fatigue whether you're Lou Ferigno or Ed Grimley.

Then you don't shoot a lot of positional shooting at distance. And I never said to load it up as heavy as possible like you're implying. Weight reduces recoil and improves stability in positional shooting. Fact is a majority og guys who want their equipment super light are the same ones who throw eveything including the kitchen sink on their rifle to make it look tacticool and only do 16oz curls then complain about weight.

Ordnance
12 January 2015, 10:37
Not necessarily.

There are plenty of optics, even from higher-end manufacturers, and endorsed by various "real deal" dudes that light u ponly a portion of the reticule, from a dot, to a horshoe, etc.

Yeah I'm well aware of ACOGs and Leupolds latest adventure with illuminating which are a joke. And those guys are using them for mostly quick engagements and not submoa precision shooting. Most high end manufacturers whether its S&B, NF, USO, Vortex Razors, Premier, Kahles, etc light the whole reticle. And before you start throwing out stuff like "real dudes" I shoot and train with MANY professionals both who are real as it gets, so you can stow that because it doesn't impress me when people try to pull that card.

gatordev
12 January 2015, 13:32
Trying to keep this on track without wading into the pissing match...

I don't like BDCs because I think they're a joke unless you're shooting the exact load, in the exact conditions, with the exact same platform it was developed for. You're definitely on the right track developing your own dope and using the reticle as such. As for heaviness I'll say the same thing to you that I say to everyone to be fair... Go work out, lol! The better glass is always going to be on the heavier side, but with it comes all the advantages. I also like a heavier rifle if I'm going to be doing more precision distance shooting. The weight reduces recoil which improves tracking, and it helps create more stability for positional shooting.

Meh. If I'm shooting with a variable optic that goes down to 1x (or nearly 1x), I'm probably running the gun in a more dynamic way (with no one shooting back at me) rather than positional precision shooting. I'm not saying that's how everyone should run it, just how I'd probably be doing it. So having something that is heavy doesn't make as much sense. Everything I've read about the SWFA 1-6 seems like it's one sweet scope and is pretty much what I've been looking for, except it's heavier than an Elcan (!), which is also variable and has clear glass (albeit a more expensive). Just stuff I've been putting my personal equation for future purchases. That's also why I'm thinking about the 1-4 as the best compromise.

As for BDC vs. mil, overall, I think we're on the same page, but for me I think it's more valuable when switching between calibers (to me) than worrying about loads. Whether it's at 5000' DA or sea level, once re-zeroed, I find that M193 and some flavor of MK262 still are only about .1 or .2 mil off from one another in practical terms out to 400m from a good barrel. Start bringing wind into the picture and I find I'm more of the problem than the various load differences.

Naytwan
12 January 2015, 14:53

I have one. Its a good scope. I just wish the battery held up longer. I've left it on by accident and come back to find a dead battery. Its dead right now. I really like the lever.

tact
12 January 2015, 17:39
I'll say SR6.....but then again it might tip the scales a few ounces or so.

gatordev
13 January 2015, 05:33
I'll say SR6.....but then again it might tip the scales a few ounces or so.

It tips the scales, alright...of my wallet. But go big or go home, right?

Ordnance
13 January 2015, 07:21
It tips the scales, alright...of my wallet. But go big or go home, right?

Out of all of USO's lines about the only one I would choose again would be another ST-10. I've owned several and they have great reticle options, including the internal bubble level which is awesome, but the glass just isn't as good as other lines out there for less money. My biggest issue with them is their electronics just can't handle the beating. I had to have my illumination controls replaced several times because it would just quit working. My other concern is they keep changing business models and moving farther away from a completely custom glass shop which they used to be to more of a production line stamping them out.

gatordev
13 January 2015, 14:33
Out of all of USO's lines about the only one I would choose again would be another ST-10. I've owned several and they have great reticle options, including the internal bubble level which is awesome, but the glass just isn't as good as other lines out there for less money. My biggest issue with them is their electronics just can't handle the beating. I had to have my illumination controls replaced several times because it would just quit working. My other concern is they keep changing business models and moving farther away from a completely custom glass shop which they used to be to more of a production line stamping them out.

I appreciate the feedback. In my never-ending Google searches, when USO comes up, I end up finding two basic reactions to them: 1) They're awesome but expensive, and 2) basically issues like yours. Obviously it's the internet, but when you start to see repeated, separate accounts...

Dave Timm
13 January 2015, 16:52
I really want one of these to check out. I'm thinking for entry level 3 gun optic it will be successful or I would also see using it on my22 trainer. I really like vortex as a company and like how they back up their products. They also take good care of LE too.

Ordnance
14 January 2015, 07:17
I appreciate the feedback. In my never-ending Google searches, when USO comes up, I end up finding two basic reactions to them: 1) They're awesome but expensive, and 2) basically issues like yours. Obviously it's the internet, but when you start to see repeated, separate accounts...

If you were to go to a PRS match and look at the line, what you'll see right now is that most of the shooters using USO are sponsored. They used to be a go to for a lot of guys, then John went off onto other projects and they changed their business model. I don't pay much attention to the internet anymore because if I did then according to everyone all Vortex products are garbage and Leupold is still king which just isn't true. If you ever get a chance I still think the best way to gauge a product is to get hands on comparison.

tact
15 January 2015, 04:15

Well I disagree with everything. To say that Vortex and Bushnell have better glass is ridiculous. But hey it's your opinion. With respect to a custom glass shop, my good friend is having them make a custom special reticule for him.

Ordnance
16 January 2015, 04:58
Well I disagree with everything. To say that Vortex and Bushnell have better glass is ridiculous. But hey it's your opinion. With respect to a custom glass shop, my good friend is having them make a custom special reticule for him.

You can disagree all you want but since I've actually owned 2 USO's, used the Razors in both Gen 1 and 2, and I've used the Bushnell XRS, and actually employed them to 1k+ then I think I'm entitled to my opinion. And if you want to argue in the same price bracket then there's Kahles, Nightforce, and for a little more S&B.

tact
16 January 2015, 09:41
You can disagree all you want but since I've actually owned 2 USO's, used the Razors in both Gen 1 and 2, and I've used the Bushnell XRS, and actually employed them to 1k+ then I think I'm entitled to my opinion. And if you want to argue in the same price bracket then there's Kahles, Nightforce, and for a little more S&B.

Well thanks for giving me permission. I almost thought I crossed the line....you know disagreeing with you and all. I don't really have any blasters, but I have a few airsoft and I play lots of Call of Duty and Modern Warfare all day in my lair in my Mom's basement. I mean c'mon it's pretty much the same thing. With all my trigger time behind my super special sniper rig for milsim on Saturdays, I've tried them all.

GOST
16 January 2015, 10:04
We can all agree to disagree but this thread is about the Vortex 1-6x24 Strike Eagle not US Optics.

mustangfreek
2 April 2015, 00:14
Vortex rep says mid summer these will be out

Optics planet is taking pre orders..Just a FYI

http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-strike-eagle-scope-1-6x24-ar-bdc-reticle.html

Dstrbdmedic167
2 April 2015, 04:31
Vortex rep says mid summer these will be out

Optics planet is taking pre orders..Just a FYI

http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-strike-eagle-scope-1-6x24-ar-bdc-reticle.html

And with a price of $329! I hope thats the standard street price. May be able to pick one up before long

GOST
2 April 2015, 05:20
That's a killer price.

SwissyJim
2 April 2015, 08:47
agreed... awesome price. I may hae to jump on one!

KYSHOOTER
20 April 2015, 07:47
The Strike Eagle should be a great varmint scope! And if the BDC makes no sense to you,ignore it and use MOA for your longer shots-this scope has 280 MOA,which will be about as awesome as it gets for an "up-clicker"

Former11B
12 July 2015, 18:42
Anyone heard about this?

Midway has it for $329 but it's backordered due to pre release or something. Vortex's site is listing "Coming Soon" but then has customer pics of the scopes in their possession.

Looks awesome. Same weight as the PA 1-6x ACSS but has a lifetime warranty

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-strike-eagle-1-6x24-riflescope-ar-bdc-reticle

alamo5000
12 July 2015, 18:51
I was looking at them a while back when I was scope shopping. Back then they were saying 'they should arrive in a few months' so if they are not here yet, they are pretty close.

I am reading up on the reticule to see how it's calibrated.

Shooting 69's can be way off at distances if it's set up for 55's. One of the downsides to a BDC reticule...

alamo5000
12 July 2015, 18:55
Then again the variation will only be a couple of MOA... but if it's a known then I guess it's not a big deal.

voodoo_man
12 July 2015, 19:30
Interesting.

I like where the market is going with this.

UWone77
12 July 2015, 19:43
I've had one of these on order since April. Typical new release I suppose... wait wait wait... then it suddenly ships.

GOST
12 July 2015, 19:55
Guy I work with has one but I haven't had the chance to use it yet. He says he would like it as much as his Razor HD if the reticle was a little less busy.

Former11B
12 July 2015, 22:12
Thanks for merging my new thread with this one....I didn't look back enough I guess. I hadn't heard about them and my neighbor brought them to my attention today

With the BDC RETICLE (lol @reticule) getting the right bullet weight is key. However, to me, a 1-6x isn't in need of target turrets and the same reticle as the 1-4x PST which is $170+ More expensive.

I want one to put on my RECCE rifle in place of my 3.5x35 ACOG. Not that I'd ever part with my Trijicon, but sometimes I just want more magnification.

I'd love someone to get a side by side review with the PA 1-6 ACSS. I've shot one of those and really liked it

Cotton68spc
13 July 2015, 14:04
I was told that I could get one at the end o summer if I still have the primary arms then I will make that happen for ya

Check me out on YouTube and Facebook

UWone77
13 July 2015, 14:10
I was told that I could get one at the end o summer if I still have the primary arms then I will make that happen for ya

Feel free to keep it till the end of summer Cotton.

WHSmithIV
13 July 2015, 14:29
I like the reticule and I like the the fact that it goes from 1X which means co-witnessing with irons is no problem. 6x should be fine for hunting too. It's definitely something on the line of what I want to put on the .308 when I build it.

UWone77
13 July 2015, 14:31
I like the reticule and I like the the fact that it goes from 1X which means co-witnessing with irons is no problem. 6x should be fine for hunting too. It's definitely something on the line of what I want to put on the .308 when I build it.

You know at even 1x you cannot cowitness magnified optics with irons right?

Because of the way magnified optics work, you cannot co-witness them.

Cotton68spc
14 July 2015, 03:37

Eye relief and field of view ? Or something in the optics like a parallax effect

Cotton68spc
14 July 2015, 04:16
Feel free to keep it till the end of summer Cotton.

Thanks let me know if something changes

GOST
14 July 2015, 06:53

Eye relief and field of view ? Or something in the optics like a parallax effect

For me even at 1x I cannot focus on the front sight. Magnified optics even at 1x will make the front sight a blurry ghost like image.

din
14 July 2015, 18:27
For me even at 1x I cannot focus on the front sight. Magnified optics even at 1x will make the front sight a blurry GOST like image.

Lemme just fix that for ya...

toolboxluis00200
14 July 2015, 18:46
Lemme just fix that for ya...

I see what u did lol

mustangfreek
16 July 2015, 03:51
There out there, many have gotten them already and posting up stuff.

Over on barfcom the vortex rep said " couple places that likely have it in stock- CS Tactical and A&A Optics"

http://www.cstactical.com/optics/rifle-scopes/vortex-optics/strike-eagle/2143/vortex-strike-eagle-1-6x24-ar-bdc-reticle-moa.html