PDA

View Full Version : Toubles finding a 7.62x39 bolt

WHSmithIV
11 January 2015, 06:20
There aren't too many available. I know of around 5 places to get them but there is an issues with 7.62x39 bolts breaking the flanges with steel cased ammo after some x amount of rounds. The MGI bolts are the most expensive one's at around $115 for the bolt. Yet, in AR15.com a guy posted pictures of where they broke.

Barrier Defense offers a lifetime guarantee on theirs (at least through their Gunstruction add). Their website though says they won't guarantee them with steel cased ammo. I know nothing about Barrier Defense. Others like SOTA arms have the bolts for around $50 - RedX Arms has them for a close to similar price.

I'm not quite sure what to do here. If a bolt is only going to last maybe a thousand rounds no matter which one I get, then I'd be better to get two of the less expensive one's and buy two of them to have one for a spare and just inspect it for cracks in the flanges.

I could use some ideas here because it's the only part I haven't decided on yet.

I've found a stainless birdcage flash hider for around $25 brand new and it does have good machining surfaces so, I'm going to go with that and the Primary Arms barrel. I'm getting FAB Defense BUIS flip up sights direct from Israel. (FAB Defense is an Israeli company and they are very battle proven sights). I get the enhanced 7.62x39 firing pin from RedX Arms with free shipping for a mere $10 ( may even buy 2 of them for that).

So, it's just down to a decision for a bolt that will work.

Deadwing
11 January 2015, 06:36
There aren't too many available. I know of around 5 places to get them but there is an issues with 7.62x39 bolts breaking the flanges with steel cased ammo after some x amount of rounds. The MGI bolts are the most expensive one's at around $115 for the bolt. Yet, in AR15.com a guy posted pictures of where they broke.

Barrier Defense offers a lifetime guarantee on theirs (at least through their Gunstruction add). Their website though says they won't guarantee them with steel cased ammo. I know nothing about Barrier Defense. Others like SOTA arms have the bolts for around $50 - RedX Arms has them for a close to similar price.

I'm not quite sure what to do here. If a bolt is only going to last maybe a thousand rounds no matter which one I get, then I'd be better to get two of the less expensive one's and buy two of them to have one for a spare and just inspect it for cracks in the flanges.

I could use some ideas here because it's the only part I haven't decided on yet.

I've found a stainless birdcage flash hider for around $25 brand new and it does have good machining surfaces so, I'm going to go with that and the Primary Arms barrel. I'm getting FAB Defense BUIS flip up sights direct from Israel. (FAB Defense is an Israeli company and they are very battle proven sights). I get the enhanced 7.62x39 firing pin from RedX Arms with free shipping for a mere $10 ( may even buy 2 of them for that).

So, it's just down to a decision for a bolt that will work.

$99.95 with free shipping for a complete 7.62x39 BCG here:http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XAIMBCG76239BDG&name=AIM+AR%2fM16+7.62X39+MPI+BDG+Bolt+Carrier+Gro up&groupid=929

I've used their standard M16/AR15 BCG in a budget build, and it hasn't given me any issues. AIM stands behind what they sell. Worst case, buy the complete BCG for the bolt, and sell the carrier if you don't need it.

WHSmithIV
11 January 2015, 08:39
$99.95 with free shipping for a complete 7.62x39 BCG here:http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XAIMBCG76239BDG&name=AIM+AR%2fM16+7.62X39+MPI+BDG+Bolt+Carrier+Gro up&groupid=929

I've used their standard M16/AR15 BCG in a budget build, and it hasn't given me any issues. AIM stands behind what they sell. Worst case, buy the complete BCG for the bolt, and sell the carrier if you don't need it.

I'll check that Deadwing - thanks. It may be then that I just donate the brand new carrier I do have that was given to me to someone who needs one.

Ride4frnt
11 January 2015, 08:40
Well, UW is hooking you up with a fortis muzzle brake, so the flash hider can be taken out of the budget now. Id say buy the most reliable one that has good marks by users, but you may be right about buying 2 50 dollar pieces over 1 100 dollar one if they all break.

Gaspipeshooter
11 January 2015, 09:31
This is what I have in my 7.62 x 29 upper, (from Brownell's):

100-013-747WB
M16 7.62x39 Bolt Carrier Group

Computalotapus
11 January 2015, 09:36
Or spend the money and get a quality carrier and bolt with enhanced features. Personally I will be trying a WMD coated carrier with Liberty Arms enhanced bolt. Not having to worry about breakage is worth the money to me.

Ride4frnt
11 January 2015, 09:58
Or spend the money and get a quality carrier and bolt with enhanced features. Personally I will be trying a WMD coated carrier with Liberty Arms enhanced bolt. Not having to worry about breakage is worth the money to me.

My wmd is awesome.

WHSmithIV
11 January 2015, 14:16
I looked up Liberty Arms a few weeks ago and they don't have the 7.62x39 bolt or BCG listed on their website. I'm not sure they're still making them. The MGI bolt is listed at $125 for just the bolt and enhanced firing pin at Midway or Brownells - I'd have to go back and check which one of them lists it.It seems that they are also subject to breakage though. From research I've done, apparently 6.8 SPC and 6.5 Grendel bolts also are prone to the same problem.

WHSmithIV
11 January 2015, 14:26
Gaspipeshooter - that's the RedX Arms BCG. I can buy the RedX Arms bolt direct from RedX - that's where I was going to get the enhanced firing pin from anyway. RedX also has free shipping on anything.

Their bolts list for $60 on the RedX site which isn't a bad price especially with free shipping. Have you put much in the way of steel cased ammo through with that BCG?

WHSmithIV
11 January 2015, 14:37

I just found their bolt. It's Liberty Gun Works. The bolt alone they sell for $150 - ouch!

Computalotapus
11 January 2015, 15:00
I just found their bolt. It's Liberty Gun Works. The bolt alone they sell for $150 - ouch!

But I don't have to worry about it breaking... $150 is worth not having to worry. The 7.62 build is for my daughter, I'm not going to put a cheap bolt in it for her to have it break on her.

DutyUse
11 January 2015, 15:07
I agree with Comp. Barrel & BCG always gets the most $ in my builds. Everything else you can go budget on. But those are the heart of your rifle

Gaspipeshooter
11 January 2015, 16:04
Gaspipeshooter - that's the RedX Arms BCG. I can buy the RedX Arms bolt direct from RedX - that's where I was going to get the enhanced firing pin from anyway. RedX also has free shipping on anything.

Their bolts list for $60 on the RedX site which isn't a bad price especially with free shipping. Have you put much in the way of steel cased ammo through with that BCG?

About three hundred rounds so far, with 3 mags worth at rapid fire for function testing. All steel case. No problems, although I realize it isn't a torture test by any stretch.

I bought from Brownell's because I had dealings with Red X Arms a few years ago. Let's just say I was not impressed with their customer service.