PDA

View Full Version : Good EDC belt ???

mustangfreek
12 January 2015, 02:03
Was gonna tag off the other "belt thread", but figured a seperate thread would be better. So i am possibly looking at a new gig and need to get rid of my old belt and get and actual good quality belt for EDC, as new gig requires carrying all day, and all though i do it now, the belt im using is far from ideal.

So what are you using? Or have used and didnt like "this or that" about it.
Not looking for a super thick belt, but a good sturdy and comfortable belt to be worn all day, with holster and mag carrier..If this is possible..lol...

I need some help as there is some many.......

din
12 January 2015, 02:49
Ares Gear Aegis belt. Very stiff, the buckle locks up nice and tight and won't slip, and it looks like a very normal belt. Much easier to use than belts with a cobra buckle since you don't need to remove half of the buckle to thread your belt loops.

rob_s
12 January 2015, 03:02
The one, the only, the often copied but never duplicated, Wilderness 5-stitch. Get the titanium buckle to reduce weight. Do not get the internal stiffener.

As with most things, most people haven't figured out what really matters in a belt. It is not simply overall stiffness like you get from all the POS "scuba webbing" belts, but it is VERTICAL stiffness that you want, and radial flexibility. The Wilderness achieves this like nobody else.

My only complaint with The Wilderness is that they don't make a QD buckle. I've gone so far as to look into having one of my belts deconstructed and another stitch bitch installing a Cobra buckle. Ultimately, though, I stick with what works,and what really matters, which is The Wilderness 5-stitch Ti.

mustangfreek
12 January 2015, 03:43
Ares Gear Aegis belt. Very stiff, the buckle locks up nice and tight and won't slip, and it looks like a very normal belt. Much easier to use than belts with a cobra buckle since you don't need to remove half of the buckle to thread your belt loops.

damn looks burly and my ginger wallet is curling at the price...Lol

The one, the only, the often copied but never duplicated, Wilderness 5-stitch. Get the titanium buckle to reduce weight. Do not get the internal stiffener.

As with most things, most people haven't figured out what really matters in a belt. It is not simply overall stiffness like you get from all the POS "scuba webbing" belts, but it is VERTICAL stiffness that you want, and radial flexibility. The Wilderness achieves this like nobody else.

My only complaint with The Wilderness is that they don't make a QD buckle. I've gone so far as to look into having one of my belts deconstructed and another stitch bitch installing a Cobra buckle. Ultimately, though, I stick with what works,and what really matters, which is The Wilderness 5-stitch Ti.

I'll admit , i dont know what i need/want exactly. As why i asked and was hoping guys that use them everyday would chime in, thanks. Looks like a decent belt, i see what you mean with the buckle, id also like a more low profile buckle in a similiar build.

I'll look at them both , but open to more/other ideas..

GOST
12 January 2015, 03:50
Voodoo has some belts for sale.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?6714-wts-volund-atlas-gearworks-1.75-g-hook-belt

I bought the one in the middle with the cobra buckle from him. Belt looked almost brand new and he ships fast.

voodoo_man
12 January 2015, 06:49
Voodoo has some belts for sale.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?6714-wts-volund-atlas-gearworks-1.75-g-hook-belt

I bought the one in the middle with the cobra buckle from him. Belt looked almost brand new and he ships fast.

all gone ;)

These are all good belts:

http://vdmsr.blogspot.com/2014/07/volundgearworks-atlas-g-hook-belt-175in.html

http://vdmsr.blogspot.com/2014/11/volund-gear-works-cobra-belt-15in.html

http://vdmsr.blogspot.com/2013/07/the-original-wilderness-tactical.html

Any one of them will work for you a long time.

BC98
12 January 2015, 07:00
I've used both a Volund Gearworks Atlas (G-hook) 1.5" belt and and an Ares Gear Ranger bolt (Cobra buckle). The Ares is quite a bit stiffer and worked really well in a couple of carbine classes that I've taken (two pistol mags, two AR mags, and a Glock 17). The only downside for me was that the Cobra buckle bit into the underside of my gut. Hopefully that's only going to be a temporary issue as my single goal for this year is to get rid of the gut.

The Atlas belt is what I currently wear and is very comfortable. I little less stiffness than the Ares but still more than enough for EDC. Have taken one carbine class (same loadout as above) and have used it in a couple of USPSA matches (five G17 mags and a Glock 34).

Jerry R
12 January 2015, 07:31
The one, the only, the often copied but never duplicated, Wilderness 5-stitch.

What Rob said. I have black and brown - great belts.

mustangfreek
12 January 2015, 15:42
Thanks guys

Okay, i kinda dug around on the wilderness belts

Question: is there much difference between the 3 stitch and 5? As far as any differences you can tell/feel?

UWone77
12 January 2015, 15:55
Finally decided a tied up shoe string is a no-go eh?

SpydrMan
12 January 2015, 17:43
Original SOE EDC belt has served me well for the year I've owned it.

Jerry R
12 January 2015, 21:02
Thanks guys

Okay, i kinda dug around on the wilderness belts

Question: is there much difference between the 3 stitch and 5? As far as any differences you can tell/feel?

3 Stitch is more of a dress belt, where the 5 stitch is the gun belt. The 5 stitch is designed to hold the weight of your EDC "stuff" - much stiffer. They both look the same. If you are only getting one belt, buy the 5 stitch.

greenlineaz
12 January 2015, 21:41
I've worn an Ares Gear Belt for the last 2.5 years. The elastic loop that slides over the extra length of belt that sticks out after you cinch it up wasn't too durable, but everything else on the belt is still working great. I use this as an inner belt for my duty belt, and for everything else when not at work. This is the only real EDC belt I have used so I can't recommend any others.

mustangfreek
13 January 2015, 01:23
Finally decided a tied up shoe string is a no-go eh?

.....Lol..always taking shots at the Ginger........[BD]

But hey, wheres your input here...[pop]

3 Stitch is more of a dress belt, where the 5 stitch is the gun belt. The 5 stitch is designed to hold the weight of your EDC "stuff" - much stiffer. They both look the same. If you are only getting one belt, buy the 5 stitch.

Gotcha, Thanks for the info once again, one thing for me just looking at them is, i wish they made a sleeker buckle on these though.

UWone77
13 January 2015, 01:25
.....Lol..always taking shots at the Ginger........[BD]

But hey, wheres your input here...[pop]

Gotcha, Thanks for the info once again, one thing for me just looking at them is, i wish they made a sleeker buckle on these though.

I'm lame.

I use a 5.11 belt I bought years ago. Seems to hold up pretty decent.

What's your waist size?

mustangfreek
13 January 2015, 01:44
I'm lame.

I use a 5.11 belt I bought years ago. Seems to hold up pretty decent.

What's your waist size?

Some 5.11 belt i was looking at last nite looked similiar to a wilderness belt or someone elses belt.....Waist size...32/33 depending what im carrying etc..

CLBME
13 January 2015, 13:50
I wear an Ares belt everyday for work and have for the last four or five years. I carry a lot in my pockets and gear on my belt. (Construction work) It works really well. Stiff and easy on/off with the Cobra buckle. I wear a Volund Atlas belt wtih the G-hook mentioned previously at all other times. What I like most about the Atlas belt is the low-profile "buckle" system. I allows for easy movement through belt loops to adjust for gear or gun position. The price is also right imo and not as stiff as the Ares belt, but still perfectly sufficient for my needs. YMMV.

mustangfreek
13 January 2015, 14:12
Thanks for the reply, see again a new guy buying shit he hasnt even seen before ( ME) and im picky...

..the point you make about the buckle, is one thing weighing on my mind, how big are they? When bending over , moving around does it bug ya?

browcs
13 January 2015, 16:15
My everyday-use belts are the Volund Gearworks Atlas Cobra (black) and Hook (OD/Coyote) belts. The only time I don't use them is when I'm wearing a suit or business casual. Great belts...worth the coin.

CLBME
14 January 2015, 10:09
I don't think I have ever felt the buckle on an every day basis in terms of "wearing" it. I don't have a stomach to hang over my belt though so I cannot comment in that regard. I do know it's there as you can see from the wear, however, in my line of work I am carry a lot of things around at waist level, and roll on the ground for work, maintenance, etc. In any case I've never been bothered by it.

Here are a few pictures for you. Goofy, but hopefully they help. The Ares cobra buckle sticks out as you can see in the first picture and does get worn in my line of work. In the third picture I put the Atas on above my pants to hopefully show the difference. The Atlas g-hook moves the hook away from the "double-stacked" or overlap area of the belt, thus slimming it down considerably and allowing you to move it around your waist line as need be. It's a favorite among some AIWB people for this reason.

Ares top and front view:
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/clymanb/097_zps21338030.jpg[/URL]
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/clymanb/20150114_130428_zps5fad66ee.jpg[/URL]

Ares cobra and Atlas top view:
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/clymanb/100_zps4c8ae274.jpg[/URL]

Thanks for the reply, see again a new guy buying shit he hasnt even seen before ( ME) and im picky...

..the point you make about the buckle, is one thing weighing on my mind, how big are they? When bending over , moving around does it bug ya?

shutmdown
28 April 2015, 08:15
original soe cobra buckle belt

GOST
28 April 2015, 19:33
My everyday-use belts are the Volund Gearworks Atlas Cobra (black) and Hook (OD/Coyote) belts. The only time I don't use them is when I'm wearing a suit or business casual. Great belts...worth the coin.

I use a Volund Atlas Cobra also.

mustangfreek
29 April 2015, 03:29
Hummm..Forgot about this thread........

Note to self...Still need good belt..

Dsully
29 April 2015, 03:33

Agreed

Cotton68spc
29 April 2015, 04:16
Soe EDC

Check me out on YouTube and Facebook

Computalotapus
29 April 2015, 06:03
I have been sporting a Jason Winnie double layer leather belt (http://www.jasonwinnie.com/1-5-double-layer-belts-db1-5/). Looks like any other belt but holds my holster in place with no problem. I also have a Jones Tacitical riggers belt with cobra buckle that I wear as well.

nCarnage
29 April 2015, 10:49
I use an Ares Aegis belt. Love it more than my Ares ranger belt. Liked the Aegis so much, I actually gave the ranger belt to my coworker. He likes it too.

RaceBannon42
29 April 2015, 11:35
I have a couple of 5.11 belts, I also have two SOE cobra belts. The SOE are much heavier duty, if more of a hassle to take on and off. John Willis makes some great gear, just be aware his lead times are pretty long unless you are active duty in which case he will give you priority if possible. He also runs sales quite often if you follow the SOE facebook page when it doesn't happen to be banned. He is nothing if not controversial. In fact Controversy Willis is his back up facebook page.

Hmac
4 May 2015, 03:35
I was looking the other day. I have Volund, Wilderness, Ares, Voodoo all just hanging there in the closet. I just keep coming back to my good old Uncle Mikes Instructor belt. Amazon, $30

MOLON LABE
21 October 2015, 23:37
Volund Gear Works 1.75" G Clip belt.

Joelski
22 October 2015, 03:26
Ive used the Blackhawk CQB/Riggers belt every day for years. The webbing hasn't broken down and the velcro is still in great shape. I use a belt loop OTB holster rather than a paddle and it's worked great with a G22. I keep thinking about going to something with a cobra buckle, but never get around to it.

Striker071
3 November 2015, 23:43
I am a firm believer in the Wilderness co. Instructor belts. They have made some special orders for me. My duty belt has hook and loop and they ran the Velcro all the way around the belt. I really don't need keepers. I have them for my EDC off duty. 5 stitch is firm enough to get the job done. Its all I wear now for a belt.

Justincase
27 February 2016, 19:57
Ares Aegis for me ..love it

voodoo_man
10 November 2016, 12:13
New carry belt

http://i.imgur.com/4BawUmU.jpg (http://www.vdmsr.com/2016/11/mastermind-tactics-slim-edc-belt.html#more)