PDA

View Full Version : Budget makeover for a Armalite AR-15

Computalotapus
12 January 2015, 15:53
http://www.computalotapus.com/images/before.jpg

So a friend dropped off this thing with me last week along with his $400 and said make it better. He wanted a weapon light, a RDS that didn't look into the base of the front sight post, a quad rail, and a VFG.

So I looked for deals and this is what I came up with:

http://www.computalotapus.com/images/after.jpg

MI 2-piece drop in 9" quad, PA RDS 30mm 3MOA w/ mount, PA 700 Lumen Gen II Weapon Light, BCM VFG, Magpul MOE Stock and Grip and a MS1 Sling

VFG, Sling and light mount have not made it here should be Thursday.

Recommending to him to pick up a rear magpul mbus sight. I was going to pick it up but he really wanted the stock and grip over the rear mbus for now.

Dstrbdmedic167
12 January 2015, 16:10
Decent looking makeover!

UWone77
12 January 2015, 16:25
I don't think he made very good use of this $400 to be honest. Personally, if that was my budget, I would have gone with:

Magpul MOE Handguards
Magpul MVG (for his vertical grip)
Used Aimpoint or a PRO on sale.

Computalotapus
12 January 2015, 16:34
I don't think he made very good use of this $400 to be honest. Personally, if that was my budget, I would have gone with:

Magpul MOE Handguards

He wanted a quad, I tried to talk him into B5 furniture or MOE even showed him my M&P 15 Magpul MOE edition. He didn't want plastic handguards. So I tried to talk him to a free float but he wanted new stock, grip, a weapon light and a different red dot. The RDS on it was a BSA wally world special. I told him with what he requested as a requirements puts everything else at budget items. He said he was ok with that. So I think I stretched the $400 decently at filling his requirements of wants.

I personally would have just bought a new PRO and slowly build a rifle that fit my wants/needs.

Hard to make $400 go far when he is dead set on a rail, new stock and grip,

Dstrbdmedic167
12 January 2015, 16:41

Magpul MOE Handguards

I agree completely but I will say he(comp) pinged ideas on what to do bc the guy didn't want the mentioned things. The guy was adamant about wanting a "quad rail"

UWone77
12 January 2015, 16:45
I figured you tried to talk him into other options.

I mean other than his optic not facing the FSB. he didn't improve his carbine.

Computalotapus
12 January 2015, 16:56
Copy I can agree with that. I was going to put him in a Vortex sparc after he was adamant about quad. But then he said he had to have a light, and wanted a stock like my M&P 15 and a different grip something without finger grooves or indexes. Ride and Dstr showed me the deals that Joe Bob had on the MOE stock and grip. Left very little for the optic. I picked up the PA RDS. Had a few bucks left over grabbed him a VFG, another friend is sending me a never used MS1 sling that I will put on this.

KW900A
12 January 2015, 17:01
dsgarms.com has some good deals going on moe kits. Lots currently out of stock though, I ordered Saturday and it now shows out of stock.

Gaspipeshooter
12 January 2015, 17:02
"Improve" is such a subjective thing. That fella will probably be tickled pink that Comp dialed him in to what he wanted within his budget. It may not meet my definition, yours U Dubya, or anyone else's of "improving" the gun, but if he's happy, that's what REALLY counts.

BoilerUp
12 January 2015, 17:05
Good work. How long is that barrel? What is your impression of the MI drop in? I was about to go that route at one point but found a DD quad rail on sale at an excellent price so was able to go that route. I personally hate the look of the MOE plastic handguards and think the quad looks better, but I also don't expect to every by a quad again. Some times people just want something because they just want it. Nothing wrong with that.

I actually never noticed that PA had their own line of lights. What's your take on them?

UWone77
12 January 2015, 17:07
"Improve" is such a subjective thing. That fella will probably be tickled pink that Comp dialed him in to what he wanted within his budget. It may not meet my definition, yours U Dubya, or anyone else's of "improving" the gun, but if he's happy, that's what REALLY counts.

Well, improving the gun and then there is improving aesthetically.

Heck, that keeps the gun industry going! After he realizes he needs another $400 to improve what he already though he improved [:D]

Gaspipeshooter
12 January 2015, 17:18
Well, improving the gun and then there is improving aesthetically.

Heck, that keeps the gun industry going, and guys like me and Stickman and B Cubed in business taking pictures! After he realizes he needs another $400 to improve what he already though he improved [:D]

FIFY...

Computalotapus
12 January 2015, 17:19
Good work. How long is that barrel? What is your impression of the MI drop in? I was about to go that route at one point but found a DD quad rail on sale at an excellent price so was able to go that route. I personally hate the look of the MOE plastic handguards and think the quad looks better, but I also don't expect to every by a quad again. Some times people just want something because they just want it. Nothing wrong with that.

I actually never noticed that PA had their own line of lights. What's your take on them?

Barrel is 16" Mid-Length gas system. The MI is nice fit and finish. Snapped in with ease and no wiggle. The 2 pieces lock up nice together. When looking at them I actually tried talking him into the keymod or m-lok version but he really wanted a quad. I am seriously thinking about getting the keymod version for my M&P 15 and snapping an arisaka light mount on it.

The PA compact weapon light out of the box is solid. Not super heavy and its kinda big in my opinion but man it solid. Feels well constructed in my hand and it lights up a dark hallway pretty good. The button on the back is nice you need to really push to get the positive click for constant on but using for momentary is easy.

http://www.computalotapus.com/images/pacwl.jpg

UWone77
12 January 2015, 17:29
FIFY...

There's a big difference, Stick gets paid, pictures is a hobby for me.

FortTom
12 January 2015, 17:44
I'm pretty amazed. I would've bet money it couldn't be done for $400.....

Dstrbdmedic167
12 January 2015, 17:45
There's a big difference, Stick gets paid, pictures is a hobby for me.

You do get a lot of cool gear 😜

UWone77
12 January 2015, 17:46
You do get a lot of cool gear 😜

In exchange for money yes.

Let's clear the air here a bit.

I pay for 90% of what I use and get, just like the rest of you guys. Yes, I do get a few freebies from time to time.

Dstrbdmedic167
12 January 2015, 17:48

I pay for 90% of what I use and get. The rest I pay for, just like the rest of you guys.

Well I learned a couple things I'm just a few minutes here...

1. Thought you got paid like stick did
2.Thought almost all your gear was sent to photo
3. I clearly am in the wrong line of work.
4. I feel stupid now...

Edit: also meant no disrespect UW. I hold you up there on the same pedestal as the others mentioned!

Computalotapus
12 January 2015, 18:00

I pay for 90% of what I use and get, just like the rest of you guys. Yes, I do get a few freebies from time to time.

I knew you paid for majority of the stuff you have. I always thought that most of the stuff you photographed was strictly on loan for photographing. I know a lot of the stuff that passes through the hands of the DMG crew works that way as well. I thought that the WEVO T&E program was built around the same concept.

I do know you have a lot of cool personal rifles and very jealous of the collection.. luckily I have a wife that is happy helping me build our collection :)

UWone77
12 January 2015, 18:15
I knew you paid for majority of the stuff you have. I always thought that most of the stuff you photographed was strictly on loan for photographing. I know a lot of the stuff that passes through the hands of the DMG crew works that way as well. I thought that the WEVO T&E program was built around the same concept.

I do know you have a lot of cool personal rifles and very jealous of the collection.. luckily I have a wife that is happy helping me build our collection :)

I do get a few pre-release items sent to me, like the Slide Lock Charging Handle and Fortis REV II.

But Mega doesn't send us 10 MKM's or Megalithics to keep. If you want one, you gotta buy one like everyone else.

I don't take anything on loan or T&E. I forget about stuff, and don't want to keep anything longer than I'm supposed to, so 99% of the time, I don't.

Sorry the thread got derailed. [BD]

JHoward
12 January 2015, 18:34
Might try the Aero Cantilever mount too. It doesn't get rid of the FSB any more, but it makes it less noticable.

DutyUse
12 January 2015, 23:58

Glad you shared that. I too thought surely he's getting rifles/components free whenever whatever and before release even.

You already had it in spades, but you gained mucho respect in my book now knowing that. Honestly if you were given everything for free it wouldn't be enough of a payment for keeping this place going. I'm sure I speak for everyone, but thank you for all the work you put in here. It is appreciated brother :D

WHSmithIV
13 January 2015, 00:01
That's the same red dot I'm going to buy. For what I need it for it should be just fine.

mustangfreek
13 January 2015, 01:30
Could of bought a decent pile of ammo and mags for it for $400......[BD]

Lol..but really its always easy to tell everyone else how to spend Their money.....lol......Good little makeover comp..

That light looks bright...more pics of it...[:D]

DutyUse
13 January 2015, 01:33
http://www.computalotapus.com/images/before.jpg

So a friend dropped off this thing with me last week along with his $400 and said make it better. He wanted a weapon light, a RDS that didn't look into the base of the front sight post, a quad rail, and a VFG.

So I looked for deals and this is what I came up with:

http://www.computalotapus.com/images/after.jpg

MI 2-piece drop in 9" quad, PA RDS 30mm 3MOA w/ mount, PA 700 Lumen Gen II Weapon Light, BCM VFG, Magpul MOE Stock and Grip and a MS1 Sling

VFG, Sling and light mount have not made it here should be Thursday.

Recommending to him to pick up a rear magpul mbus sight. I was going to pick it up but he really wanted the stock and grip over the rear mbus for now.

I think for what your budget was you changed the look of the rifle dramatically, which I get the feeling was his intentions.

The problem now is your gonna give him the upgrade bug ;)